AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 12 (Races 23/24) - Imola | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 12 (Races 23/24) - Imola

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
AOR Ferrari Challenge Championship and Ford Season 1
Round 12: IMOLA

Imola.png

It was really weird. I went to get a screenshot of the iRacing track map and it's already so perfect I couldn't improve. Clearly they've taken my inspiration.

Information:
Date:
30th August 2017

Time:
19:00 BST - Practice 60 minutes
20:00 BST - Lone qualifying 3 laps/10 minutes
20:10 BST - Race 1 - 20 minutes - Standing start - Grid based on qualifying results

20:55 BST - 10 minutes Warm-up
21:05 BST Race 2 - 45 minutes - Rolling start - Grid based on reverse qualifying results

Remember to let us know in advance in this thread if you are unable to attend the race! Or you just not miss the race and instead you could race.

Track: Imola
Layout: Grand Prix
Time of Day: Afternoon
Weather: Dynamic - Carried over from practice

Standings:

Absences:
  1. @FisiFan91
  2. @Janick Nijenhuis
  3. @fakeluke
  4. @N1CK

Last edited:
Reactions: Minimariner

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Whaaaaaaat?

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
You've peaked too early Stevie, you're life is downhill now after that... Well, what can only be described as perfect, representation of Imola.

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
wheres senna death corner on the map

• Funny
Reactions: 1185323118

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 6, 2017
Finally find some trick to drive these non-ABS cars at the very end of the season. but is 1:44.6 in Patrick's 107% time?:D

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Finally find some trick to drive these non-ABS cars at the very end of the season. but is 1:44.6 in Patrick's 107% time?:D
What's the trick?

I think i'll be in the 1:45 range by tomorrow.
For all of the fast guys: I'm really good at lifting on the straight to let lapping traffic through...

I'm faster in a GT3 around Imola than in the GTEs. Can I just drive a GT3? :p
Without ABS, the 2nd to last turn, braking downhill, for the double left, into that ever-so-slight-right sent me a few times into the gravel.
I keep on driving the Ferrari like a GT3 car with ABS...
Thankfully the TC is at least keeping me on the island on corner exit.

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
What's the trick?

I think i'll be in the 1:45 range by tomorrow.
For all of the fast guys: I'm really good at lifting on the straight to let lapping traffic through...

I'm faster in a GT3 around Imola than in the GTEs. Can I just drive a GT3? :p
Without ABS, the 2nd to last turn, braking downhill, for the double left, into that ever-so-slight-right sent me a few times into the gravel.
I keep on driving the Ferrari like a GT3 car with ABS...
Thankfully the TC is at least keeping me on the island on corner exit.
Tips for braking:

Usually I would use low-friction brakes, as they're a bit easier, and a bit more consistent and less likely to lock up but found that medium friction brakes work better here.

If you're driving it like a GT3 car with ABS then I assume you're hitting the brakes as hard as you can immediately? If so you don't want to be doing that. You only use 100% brakes in this car if you're on your way to a wall or post-crash and rolling or something.

You really need to modulate the brakes. The most you really use the brakes is like 60/70% into a heavy braking zone, but even then it's about feeding the brakes in to a point where the wheels are still rotating. If not, you'll lock up. Generally speaking, I probably go to 50% at max for most corners and it's very much a general progression of brakes rather than slamming them on.

Have a watch of some videos and have a look at how much brake is applied going into certain corners.

As irritating as it is, watch this video from @Erti147. Despite the **** we all give him, (and rightly deserved), he actually has a very smooth driving style. Look at his braking inputs, it's very minimal and he rarely locks up. Even though Sonoma only really has two moderate/heavy braking zones, he still barely exceeds 50% braking input.

Like I know what I'm on about. But yeah, hope that helps.

Also yw Evan.

• Winner
Reactions: Stephan

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
awesome, thanks!
Haven't been slamming them like in a GT3, but close enough. I start heavy-ish braking early, then ease off as decelerating.
My issue is always braking while turning with no ABS. Then there is that monkey in my head telling me I'm braking too early and too little and then I spin. And crash. And swear... :)

Will check the video later tonight, will surely be helpful!

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
awesome, thanks!
Haven't been slamming them like in a GT3, but close enough. I start heavy-ish braking early, then ease off as decelerating.
My issue is always braking while turning with no ABS. Then there is that monkey in my head telling me I'm braking too early and too little and then I spin. And crash. And swear... :)

Will check the video later tonight, will surely be helpful!
Yeah you basically need to reverse the way you brake, good luck! :p

You can do braking and turning in this car, but it's got to be super very minimal braking and super very minimal turning.

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Tips for braking:

Usually I would use low-friction brakes, as they're a bit easier, and a bit more consistent and less likely to lock up but found that medium friction brakes work better here.

As irritating as it is, watch this video from @Erti147. Despite the **** we all give him, (and rightly deserved), he actually has a very smooth driving style. Look at his braking inputs, it's very minimal and he rarely locks up. Even though Sonoma only really has two moderate/heavy braking zones, he still barely exceeds 50% braking input.

omg ty mr smod stevie sir for the cumpliment

Feels far from smooth on the other end lol

Medium friction is a good balance, though it doesn't matter what setting you use if the track doesn't have heavy braking zones.

Interlagos would be a good example if you want to have a look at that here @Stephan . If you learn to get the hang without ABS then it'll make you a better driver in GT3 overall (for example tyre wear is apparent in GT3, so you won't rely on ABS as much so less tyre wear)

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 6, 2017
Nah, I just suddenly realized something when thinking about life on toilet. After finishing it, I came back to my wheel, and I became faster:D

• Winner

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Nah, I just suddenly realized something when thinking about life on toilet. After finishing it, I came back to my wheel, and I became faster:D
A very different game of thrones that was. The porcelain throne, to contemplate ones mortality.
And the place most candy crush saga Highscores originate.

Maybe inspiration will hit me too!

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Doing consistent 1:45s now in the Ford GTE.
In the Ferrari, I do consistent landscaping. Japanese gardens. Gravel pit. You get the picture...

If no objection, will be the oddball tomorrow (and in the Ford)

• Funny
Reactions: 1185323118

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Doing consistent 1:45s now in the Ford GTE.
In the Ferrari, I do consistent landscaping. Japanese gardens. Gravel pit. You get the picture...

If no objection, will be the oddball tomorrow (and in the Ford)
Go for whatever you feel comfortable with mate. :)