AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 3 (Races 5/6) - Sonoma Raceway | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 3 (Races 5/6) - Sonoma Raceway

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

TRL Rosberg

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 13, 2014
I will not be attending this round as I am just home from my holidays and I am too tired.. also I don't have the track will return to normal next week

• Informative
Reactions: Stevie

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
wow, that was actually a lot harder than I initially thought! Can't recall the last time I sweat this hard in the Renault.
Setup for some reason felt crap, made some changes right before quali but that didn't turn out well. Crashed on the first 2 laps and then did a banker lap..

Race 1: Car felt really, really bad in the first couple of laps. I think only after 8 or 9 laps I was starting to get more comfortable. Had a battle with @Lorrentz and @Tipple which I enjoyed very much! Damn I couldn't see **** in the rift with Laurens' rear end right in front me:hungry:
Then Laurens made a mistake coming out of the hairpin and I was able to overtake him going into turn 1, unfortunately he made a tiny mistake (or was there contact?) and lost the car. Too bad because could've been a fun battle the last couple of laps!

Curtis unfortunately also lost the car so the last couple of laps were just about finishing and not making mistakes.
P5/P6 is definitely where I should focus on because the guys in front are way too fast....for now :)

Race 2: first 2 laps were great, got up to p4 with @FisiFan91 in front of me. At the end of lap 3 I missed my braking point going into the hairpin and luckily Fisi saw it coming (I think) and gave me some room. Somehow @Christobal90 braked even later, hit me in the back and spun me around hitting me a second time.
I won't be making an stewards enquiry because I finished P5 and I wouldn't have finished higher anyway and it was obviously not on purpose but rather a mistake on his part.

TLTR: Fun night with nice battles!

Last edited:

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
wow, that was actually a lot harder than I initially thought! Can't recall the last time I sweat this hard in the Renault.
Setup for some reason felt crap, made some changes right before quali but that didn't turn out well. Crashed on the first 2 laps and then did a banker lap..

Race 1: Car felt really, really bad in the first couple of laps. I think only after 8 or 9 laps I was starting to get more comfortable. Had a battle with @Lorrentz and @Tipple which I enjoyed very much! Damn I couldn't see **** in the rift with Laurens' rear end right in front me:hungry:
Then Laurens made a mistake coming out of the hairpin and dwas able to overtake him going into turn 1, unfortunately he made a tiny mistake (or was there contact?) and lost the car. Too bad because could've been a fun battle the last couple of laps!

Curtis unfortunately also lost the car so the last couple of laps were just about finishing and not making mistakes.
P5/P6 is definitely where I should focus on because the guys in front are way too fast....for now :)

Race: first 2 laps were great, got up to p4 with @FisiFan91 in front of me. At the end of lap 3 I missed my braking point going into the hairpin and luckily Fisi saw it coming (I think) and gave me some room. Somehow @Christobal90 braked even later, hit me in the back and spun me around hitting me a second time.
I won't be making an stewards enquiry because I finished P5 and I wouldn't have finished higher anyway and it was obviously not on purpose but rather a mistake on his part.

TLTR: Fun night with nice battles!
haha yeah my car was all over the place....I had issues with the brakes on both races car just wouldnt stop so I had a really weird line into turn 1 and went straight in the barrier :D lol unfortunate because it was a fun battle :)

race 2 was a bit better but car was still understeering towards china and back :(

luckily this track is over :D

Milligan

Formula 3 1st Driver
Jan 25, 2015
R1: After have a shocking qually I thought things can only get better for the two races. Boy was I was wrong:sorry:;). Lined up behind Lewis who did not move when the lights went green which took me by complete surprise and I rear ended him causing damage to both cars. I limped the car back to the pits and there were 12 minutes worth of damage. Race over.

R2: Before the race 2 had even began I had screwed myself over as I miss read the race start time thinking that the session opened at 8:56, however that was the race starting time. It was a surprise to load into the session with 'Missed Start' instead of 'Drive':dead:. I did not think I stood a chance of a good race, however after recovering the time to the back of the pack I worked my way up the field with many cars having incidents and moments that I was capitalising on. I kept the car on the track (just about) and finished in 9th place from the back and only remember passing 2 cars on track.:whistle:

Looking forward to watching the 2 races back on stream to see how much racing action I missed out on.

ramdrop

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Apr 26, 2015
That was really something, potentially my last race for a while, didn't have any expectations so went all out to see what I could do, managed a high 1.26, so a PB! Couldn't improve on laps 2 and 3 though.

First race I settled in behind the Ferrarrfisisisi's and just followed @Erti147 to the finish, whilst avoiding the various spun cars. @Tipple and @Lorrentz got close in the end, but came across the line in the top 10 :)

Start of the next race was weird.., the guy in front of me was hopping all over the place and in end pulled out of the line, so the car I was following was on the Left, but should have been on the right, so it was a little weird.
Quickly took P3 and moved on, watched @Gxbbs spin and so inherited P2 and followed P1 around for a lap.. but he lost the car in Turn 1, I hit the brakes hard and went left to avoid him, @FisiFan91 hit the brakes behind me and went up my inside and I'm pretty sure he T-boned him, so I'm really sorry about that, but not because I was in P1 :D Even led a lap lol.

Pitted early for some clean air because I knew I was slower, came out in front of @Erti147 and he spun a few times but still caught me so wasn't really on it tonight, but I'll take P8 :p

Here are both of my races

Second race has some banter with @Gxbbs and me worrying about getting dive bombed by the SimRC guys :( I also admitted I was happy I was leading the race.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Jeez, that track was hard work, but two 6th places (mainly thanks to not making any significant mistakes) I will gladly take! :D

Unfortunately the script for auto-adding the results into the spreadsheet isn't working atm, so there will be some delay on the standings update.

That crash though :jawdrop::eek::wtf::wacky::unsure:

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Jeez, that track was hard work, but two 6th places (mainly thanks to not making any significant mistakes) I will gladly take! :D

Unfortunately the script for auto-adding the results into the spreadsheet isn't working atm, so there will be some delay on the standings update.

That crash though :jawdrop::eek::wtf::wacky::unsure:
I was coming just out of the right hander downhill and i saw that car flying...and i was like whut? Am i hallucinating? :D

Tipple

GP2 Test Driver
Aug 1, 2015
Well another Sonoma classic for me, a track I really love but can never seem to have a good race on :(

R1 started well and gradually got better as other people dropped off. When I saw the guys ahead battling I started to try and push to get involved ready for any opportunities, but must've taken too much kerb into the top of the hill into T2 and the car just dropped away from me. Completely ruining a good result.

R2 didn't start so well, with myself receiving a x4 for "contact" with @Erti147 on the formation lap after everyone suddenly slowed down, but the replay shows no contact and no damage to either car. Then a couple laps later and the desperation is already setting in for people and they start making audacious moves for no conceivable reason. Resulting in contact that gave me suspension damage, which in turn resulted in horrific drivability. Every corner I had no idea what the car was going to do next, eventually collecting enough incident points to be black flagged.

Extremely unhappy with how my evening turned out. Going to give the incidents a proper review tomorrow and see how I feel about it then.

Not great considering I don't have any time off until next race, and it's at a track I've never driven or even seen before. So I really wanted a good result here...

Congrats to the winners and podium sitters.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Q: 7th, Ben took vecchio his spot so it still felt as best of the rest although it wasn't :D I had terrible issues with the final hairpin all night long....lost 3/4 tenths on my qualy laps due to overshotting it by a mile...but well 7th was good enough

R1 sprint: had some real pressure from @Gunar Nijenhuis and he really made me work for it...eventually he made a small mistake which opened the gap over a second but then I made small mistakes aswell and eventually again at the hairpin I made a mess of it and he could overtake me on the exit...we had a small bump through the left hander and then coming up the hill in turn 1 I completely got it all wrong I couldn't stop the car and went straight into the barrier and after that it went from bad to worse...couldn't handle the car anymore and dropped back to 11th or 12th can't remember but it was a poor result..

R2 feature, start was ok'ish but there was some issue with one of the simrc guys and that one was on me allthough it looked very weird on my screen but I'll take the blame.
after everything cleared a bit I made my way up the field and I was in P5 I think in front of @Gunar Nijenhuis and @FisiFan91 but I had no idea about fuel.....in the sprintrace I had 4 gallons too much fuel with me and in this race I refilled with 7 gallon which was wayyyyyyyyy to much :D so I ended up behind @FisiFan91 and @Gunar Nijenhuis and with the traffic of the lapped cars I couldn't catch @FisiFan91 enough...finally 2 laps before the end of the race I was 0.3 behind him but couldn't make any move so he did well and I came home 7th.

on to a hopefully nicer track than this mickey mouse circuit :D

cheers

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I did it first and even more spectacularly so he'll have to do better than that to take my crown <:

• Winner
Reactions: Lorrentz

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Testing out what I could do with my editing software.

Decided that the mini-battle I had with @Dustin would be good.

Have a short video.

Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Dustin

Semi-Pro Karter
Jun 12, 2017
My short race report before it's too late:

The track for me was completely new, my nice Crimson-Teammate Gianni bought the track for Jürgen & me - after and old bet he lost like one year ago :jawdrop: - so I was ready to race for this week and did some laps already on Saturday & monday to get used to this track. In general I always struggle on new tracks but at Sonoma I felt pretty comfortable after some laps and I have to say this track is very nice and a good variation to 'common tracks'.

Qualifying:
For the first time I thought I might can aim for the pole here up messed up my lap so it was P3 which is okay of course.

Sprintrace:
The Start went into the totally wrong direction and Luke had a huge launch and was right next to me before the first kink on the s/f straight. I not only lost my position to him, also Ben could take his advantage and after some two wide-action around the first corners he made a very good move and went for p4!
Of course I knew already that it's extremely difficult here to overtake a car which is not much slower so I was basically waiting for a mistake and lucky me he did one so I went through.
Then with clean air I really wanted to create a gap quickly and use my pace I had the qualifying but something was totally wrong. I tried everything but there was no chance for me to get away. My teammates were driving like 1-1.5s quicker, I checked my fuel mix and different stuff but it was like my car was damaged but I had not even a 0x contact so this couldn't been the case. Anyway after - I guess - another mistake by Ben Gunar was now behind and I was happy that I could save at least P4 and take bonus points for the 0x

Featurerace:
The first thing I did was to join the warm up to see if I'm still offpace like in the race but it was like I had a new car, everything was as usual so I was looking forward for the crazy part of the raceday :p

But the setback came very quickly at the start when I was for a short time before Ben (?) and was black flagged. The race was already green and Ben was going for a wide line at the final corner, I went to the inside, was alongside and this was enough. He had the better exit anyway so at S/F he was already way ahead but I had my black flag.
So I had to pit in the next laps. I was not sure if I maybe can make it with 1 stop if I wait 3 laps and save fuel later on in the race so pitted in lap 3.
After some fuel saving I saw that I would have been 4 liter to short anyway if I keep going like this so I switched to full attack mode and 2 stops. At least I had not so much traffic due to my early stop so I could run clean laps. I was optimistic to maybe go for a top 5 if there won't be more problems so I was pushing every lap. After some overtakes my opponents for this race like Fisi and Gunar pitted earlier so I could run more and more laps in clean air and after my short pit stop I was about 4s in front of the and just 1s behind Chris.
Jürgen had some issues with the flight control (I could see this when I came out of the hairpin and a ferrari went straight into the sky) so it was even P4. The track was to small to make a good move at the find to find a way around Chris so P4 was it in the end. After four 3rd places on the first rounds now it were just two 4th places but both times with 0x so basically a 3rd place :troll:
No, when I consider the first laps from both races the results are very good for me and due to Jürgen's issues I'm now the leader of the championship - woooo :p
CU later at Mosport

Last edited:

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
For some reason @Milligan had half points for the Sonoma Feature so this has corrected to 12pts lol