AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 8 (Races 15/16) - Road America | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing FCCAF Round 8 (Races 15/16) - Road America

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Q: again just hit a banker lap and messed up lap 2 and 3...think I could've challenged for p3.

Race 1: Started p6. Love those standing starts in this car. On my right were @Christobal90 and @UrBaNz Octane x - Christoph didn't have a great start and Adam didn't have room to come to the left because I was there so gained two positions before turn one.

The rest of the race was pretty much holding off Christoph and @Dustin - I think I was lucky they had a battle around lap 5 which bought me some time :p Really happy with P3!
Too bad Adam about the problems on lap 1.... was looking forward to having that GT battle! Nice move on @Lorrentz though in the last lap!

Race 2: First 2 laps were going great, up to p2 at one point.
There was no point for me to fight @fakeluke and @Pat so I let them pass to hopefully not lose too much time on the two remaining SIMRC guys behind me.

Then all of a sudden the car started feeling horrible...made lots of mistakes, locked up corner after corner and just couldn't find the right flow.
So Christoph and Dustin were closing up. Dustin passed me on lap 11 or something so I decided to pit that same lap to hopefully have some laps withut pressure.

Then it got even worse. Overshot my pitbox, lost 2 seconds on my outlap and lost a position to Christoph. With 15 minutes to go he joined right in front of me after his pitstop.
I really enjoyed that battle though! I just couldn't find the right exit at the crucial corners before long straights so could only really attack 1 time, which didn't work.

@McPhilen and @King-kodiak - very nice job on the commentary! Best one so far! Great to see that Chris is getting the hang of switching between drivers and cameras! You guys caught all the action!

Reactions: Lorrentz

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
P8 + P6 for the 2nd week running - not too bad I guess!

Highlight from the sprint race was definitely this move on @UrBaNz Octane x (we won't mention how I ran off track a few laps later for him to get back through)! :p

As for the feature, once it eventually got underway (was some weird issue with the first lobby not saving @Erti147's settings properly), it was the opposite start to the race for me compared to last week. Instead of gaining 10 places on the first lap, it felt like I dropped about 10. Picked up some positions from keeping it clean, and did a pretty nice overtake on @Krusen, and suddenly I found myself up in 8th somehow, which turned into 6th after @Milligan & @fakeluke had issues. Improved my pace towards the end of the race after the pit stop and was surprised to be closing up on @Christobal90 & @Gunar Nijenhuis, even though they were kinda battling, and with @Erti147 beathing down my neck. Unfortunately the laps ran out as I got within 2 seconds of them, but at least I stayed ahead of ma teammate, meaning we're equal on points in the championship battle for best of the rest :nailbiting:

Reactions: Erti147

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Decent quali again, shoulda had Adam.

Not having much luck in the first races of the night across both leagues recently - that continued and ended up out of the race straight away and ma first DNF of the season.

Feature race I went off by myself this time in a sort of synchronised move with Adam behind me , but recovered with a few good overtakes (including a double overtake when Janick and someone went wide at Turn 3) and ended up 7th

Next time...

King-kodiak

AOR Head Commentator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
AOR Commentator
May 10, 2016
@McPhilen and @King-kodiak - very nice job on the commentary! Best one so far! Great to see that Chris is getting the hang of switching between drivers and cameras! You guys caught all the action!
That Atvo thing you pointed me to has made all the difference kind sir :)

It was great to be back in the commentary box for the first time in weeks and dust off the cobwebs, and what a pair of races we saw in the comm box. A shame we lost half the field in the 2nd race due to the incident limit, but there was still plenty going on for me and @McPhilen to keep an eye on. As always, thanks Phil for being an awesome co-commentator.

Sadly I can't return to a full commentary schedule yet, as my wife still has several weeks recovery to go through yet after her operation 2 weeks ago (she is recovering very well), but I look forward to being back in the saddle properly as soon as possible :)

Krusen

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 28, 2014
and did a pretty nice overtake on @Krusen
At the time, from my point of view, it felt a bit aggresive - you didn't leave me much room :)

Looking back though, there was just enough for me to keep going on the outside, but at the moment I wasn't sure you were leaving room. All good fun though.

Here is the overtake from my point of view:

Also had some good racing with @Rin Hato for the first couple of corners on lap 2 of the feature race.

Besides that I couldn't really get into a rythm on this track and kept going deep and getting offtracks, especially in the feature race, and simply just stopped caring at one point - which meant disqualification. On to the next one.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
At the time, from my point of view, it felt a bit aggresive - you didn't leave me much room :)

Looking back though, there was just enough for me to keep going on the outside, but at the moment I wasn't sure you were leaving room. All good fun though.

Here is the overtake from my point of view:

Was definitely trying to leave you enough room there mate. Felt it starting to understeer a bit midway through the left-hander (at the point the gap seems to close) so lifted off slightly more (the point where the gap stops closing). Sorry if it was a bit on the aggressive side :)

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Race 1 - Literally overtook nobody (other than those who fell off the road)

Spent the entire time looking at the back of Sara's car. Which was irritating. It was so difficult to follow closely behind the car infront. Most of the time I could hang around 0.6/0.7 of her but god-damn getting closer was difficult. I only really had 2 opportunities, one when she made a slight mistake through the longest corner, and I got to within 0.3/0.4 of her. But then it's the scary bit, and with the dirty air that almost killed me, I ended up probably even further back.

I explain all this so clearly because this is how I rationalised my approach to race 2.

Race 2 - So, having been stuck in a train for most of the first race. I decided some more straight line speed was required. I knocked one level of rear wing off. And... well I ruined my car basically. Every setup I've driven in the Ferrari has been fine, from baseline, to VRS, to modified ones.

But the choice I made last night was nigh-on undrivable. I ruined the balance completely and had so much oversteer I may as well have had a broken rear axle. Every corner the back tried to get away. This ruining my exits out of corners and I certainly wasn't hitting 200mph down the straights to balance the time lost at corner exit. The scary bit became the "Oh my fucking god i'm going to die" bit, as the back would violently step out without fail the moment I put any steering lock in whatsoever at the 140/150mph I was doing at that point.

Basically. I let @Lorrentz through at the start, there was no point fighting him so early on. But as he passed me he binned it at turn 1. After my own spin at turn 6, he eventually caught back up and you don't get two freebies with me. The second time round you have to fight your way through. In hindsight, this was idiotic. I was fighting somebody whilst I was fighting the car. Braking later than I felt comfortable, getting on the power earlier than normal and as such when I got to Dickhead corner, I had a bit of a wobble. Car went left, it went right, it went left again and how Laurens managed to only clip me rather than smack in to me heavily and ruin his own race I don't know. Sorry Laurens.

So yeah. Rule 1 - Don't fiddle with a setup on the grid. It's dumb.

Request - Tell all your mates about the league and get them to join.

Reactions: Rin Hato and Dustin