AOR iRacing GTE League - Feedback Thread! | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing GTE League - Feedback Thread!

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014

Hello everyone!

With 7 out of 10 rounds almost behind us, we're approaching the end of a highly competitive season.

We're already working on Season 6, but we're curious to know what you think!

What has worked in Season 5?
What didn't?
What would you like us to change?
What would you like us to keep?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: Stephan

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
  • Tracks...except Spa at night...are you mad?
  • Broadcasting been better
What didn't?
  • too many aliens...pro class is haunted
  • too many porsches and ferrari's #FordLivesMatter
  • 15 mins for practice...20 mins for quali
  • overlay graphics like IMSA's (IMSA > WEC)
- keep it going..gives me something to do on monday evenings instead of crying myself to sleep :p

mike66187

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2018
  • I think this season has been super competitive (apart from Eero Nomm driving like a non human being)
  • I like the bigger field in the races (not in qualy lol)
What didn't?
  • My qualy pace
  • Maybe a 4th class if there are enough signups, so there are about 10 people per class.
- keep me please

Claudiu_Clima

Formula Karter
Dec 5, 2018
So here are my impressions of this season so far

Pros:
Nice fair racing with good race craft even from the AM drivers
The race length is really good even though I think 90 min would be even better
Pretty good participation

Cons:
Biggest con of all is the qualifying system, easily exploitable and frustrating with people blocking you when you are on a fast lap. Why not make it so that you have 3 laps but you do them alone on track? Qualifying should be about who is the fastest not about who is the luckiest. I can't think of any real life series with 40 cars on track during qualifying. At least let's have a super pole or something of that nature.
Track selection was questionable to say the least but that's a subjective matter

Suggestions for next season
I think we should have 4 hour long sessions with more practice time, longer qualifying with super pole and 90 min races instead of 80.

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
  • Tracks...except Spa at night...are you mad?
  • Broadcasting been better
What didn't?
  • too many aliens...pro class is haunted
  • too many porsches and ferrari's #FordLivesMatter
  • 15 mins for practice...20 mins for quali
  • overlay graphics like IMSA's (IMSA > WEC)
- keep it going..gives me something to do on monday evenings instead of crying myself to sleep :p
Don't worry about the cars, as a new GTE comes in March, so the Ferrari and Porsche will also join the Endangered list, and risk becoming extinct in the wild(official races)

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
So here are my impressions of this season so far

Pros:
Nice fair racing with good race craft even from the AM drivers
The race length is really good even though I think 90 min would be even better
Pretty good participation

Cons:
Biggest con of all is the qualifying system, easily exploitable and frustrating with people blocking you when you are on a fast lap. Why not make it so that you have 3 laps but you do them alone on track? Qualifying should be about who is the fastest not about who is the luckiest. I can't think of any real life series with 40 cars on track during qualifying. At least let's have a super pole or something of that nature.
Track selection was questionable to say the least but that's a subjective matter

Suggestions for next season
I think we should have 4 hour long sessions with more practice time, longer qualifying with super pole and 90 min races instead of 80.
Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series occasionally has 40 cars out at once in Qualifying if they get a full grid.

Merlin Cooper

GP2 2nd Driver
Nov 2, 2017
Here are my two cents ;-)

• Race length and race date
  • Different classes (PRO, PRO/AM, AM) in one large field
  • Counting points in different classes
  • Live stream
What didn't?
  • My pace at Daytona but there isn't anything you could do ;-)
  • Thinking about an no ESC rule during qualifying which would add incremental realism and Drivers would have to bear in mind that if they brake the car they are done.
  • Penalties for ignoring yellow flags in practice, qualifying and in the race to enforce more safe driving and further reduce massive pileups.
  • Change overall points thus it reflects the driver's pace in the whole field, e.g. by simply using the overall position as "minus points" the one with least points at the end is the best. Use this to promote between classes - lädt two in a class get down, first to up one class. New drivers are in the AM.
  • everything which worked great - see at the top.

N1kmido

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sep 17, 2016

• Fun - I still enjoy racing in this league which is most important I guess
  • Attendance - Most of the time 30 cars or even more on track is great!
  • Broadcasting - I think Chris and Stevie go very well together
  • Blue flags - Compared to last season personally I experienced no dangerous situations at all

What didn't?

• Championship Fight - Seems odd to mention because there is nothing you can realistically do about it without interfering a fair competition. It´s an existing problem this series has had for the last few seasons (and you asked for what didn´t work :p)
  • Fuel/Tyre Strategies - Unlucky that iRacing made those changes just before the season started. I hope another way can be found to bring in more strategic possibilites
  • Weather - We got a great Day/Night Update from iRacing before the season. Therefore I was a bit disappointed to see most races starting at the same time in the afternoon. (I know this has most likely to do with how iRacing set up the official sessions)

• More variability in start times -> more races and/or qualifyings at dawn/dusk/sunset/sunrise/night
  • Reintroduce drop week(s) - Even if you are strongly committed I think it´s hard to be available 12 monday nights in a row without any unexpected circumstances popping up
  • Mainly focus on one official series for track selection -> I like the approach of mixing iLMS and IMSA tracks but a second time in a row this prevented me from getting the necessary 8 official races to receive iRacing credits. I have 4/8 or 5/8 respectively in both series because usually I can´t race both over the week so I often choose the track coming up next for the GTE league. No idea if anyone else has this problem, would be nice if it could get considered in some way.

• The change to 25 min practice / 15 min qualifying was a good decision in my opinion
  • Class championships
  • Basically everything I didn´t mention in the "What would you like us to change" category :)

Reactions: Stevie

Merlin Cooper

GP2 2nd Driver
Nov 2, 2017
What didn't?
  • Championship Fight - Seems odd to mention because there is nothing you can realistically do about it without interfering a fair competition. It´s an existing problem this series has had for the last few seasons (and you asked for what didn´t work :p)
There might be an option, but don't know whether the community likes that approach. In former DTM seasons a so called performance weight was used and I was, years ago, driving in an rFactor league which used that process to balance the performance of drivers during a season. Resulting in very close races.

iRacing would at least offer the possibility to add a incremental weight penalty (see garage screen) - but not sure whether this could be easily monitored by an simple plugin. If that's the case stewards could check after the race - and in case of the mentioned rFactor league you where DSQ if you did not use at least the incremental weight of your personal penalty.

The weight penalty could vary between +- 100 kg and weight increase / decrease was based on race position. The following metric was used - obviously would have to be adjusted when 45 vehicles are on the grid. Finishing mid-field should be +- 0kg.

1. Position = +25kg
  2. Position = +18kg
  3. Position = +15kg
  4. Position = +12kg
  5. Position = +10kg
  6. Position = +08kg
  7. Position = +05kg
  8. Position = +04kg
  9. Position = +02kg
  10. Position = +01kg
  11. Position = -00kg
  12. Position = -05kg
  13. Position = -10kg
  14. Position = -15kg
  15. Position = -20kg
  16. Position and higher = -25kg

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
There might be an option, but don't know whether the community likes that approach. In former DTM seasons a so called performance weight was used and I was, years ago, driving in an rFactor league which used that process to balance the performance of drivers during a season. Resulting in very close races.

iRacing would at least offer the possibility to add a incremental weight penalty (see garage screen) - but not sure whether this could be easily monitored by an simple plugin. If that's the case stewards could check after the race - and in case of the mentioned rFactor league you where DSQ if you did not use at least the incremental weight of your personal penalty.

The weight penalty could vary between +- 100 kg and weight increase / decrease was based on race position. The following metric was used - obviously would have to be adjusted when 45 vehicles are on the grid. Finishing mid-field should be +- 0kg.

1. Position = +25kg
  2. Position = +18kg
  3. Position = +15kg
  4. Position = +12kg
  5. Position = +10kg
  6. Position = +08kg
  7. Position = +05kg
  8. Position = +04kg
  9. Position = +02kg
  10. Position = +01kg
  11. Position = -00kg
  12. Position = -05kg
  13. Position = -10kg
  14. Position = -15kg
  15. Position = -20kg
  16. Position and higher = -25kg
I'd be heavily against that. If we had that, I'd want rid of class championships. But I prefer those :p

Reactions: Merlin Cooper

Jake_Towns

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2018
STOLEN FROM @N1kmido
  • Weather - We got a great Day/Night Update from iRacing before the season. Maybe speed up the time so we get more of a spectacle of day to night or dawn to dusk races (maybe do 3 special events each season?)

• More variability in start times -> more races and/or qualifying at dawn/dusk/sunset/sunrise/night
  • Reintroduce drop week(s) - Even if you are strongly committed I think it´s hard to be available 12 Monday nights in a row without any unexpected circumstances popping up
  • Discussion on the class divide/class superiority that often gets thrown up - I love the class division system but sometimes AM Drivers can put up and give a good race/fight against PROM/AM and maybe one day even PRO drivers but the mentality of 'I am PRO/AM you are AM, let me pass as I'm in a championship battle' doesn't entitle the higher classes automatic passes or free passes if you are on the same lap. We are all battling for a championship at the end of the day and if you re on the same lap as someone, no matter what the situation is, you are racing one another. We all have our battles to face but if I can get a decent finish 1 week as I'm just outside the top 10 as a AM driver and a similar paced pro/am driver is getting annoyed as they aren't being let through automatically and moans about it, we aren't really racing its more of a procession?
Sorry for the rant but seen it more often in the last few races.

Claudiu_Clima

Formula Karter
Dec 5, 2018
I think changing the time of the race from the time of the official series is not a great idea. If you do that you force people to practice specifically for AOR, you take away the ability to practice in official servers and you make the setups mostly irrelevant

Reactions: Afterlithe

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
If nothing would change for next season, I'd still compete in it and have fun in it.
So I will only steal ideas from others and depate on some...

- What has worked in Season 5?
  • Extending the grid was definitly a succes
  • The new balance in time between practice and quali has also worked I think

- What didn't?
  • I hate Christmas and new year's eve. Hate them even more now...
  • My onboard light looks a bit agressive on videos. But @King-kodiak seems to like it, so well...

- What would you like us to change?
  • I'd be OK with some extra race time like @Claudiu_Clima
  • Like @N1kmido I'd rather mainly focus on one official series for track selection for the exact same reasons he mentionned
  • More variability in start times would be nice too. I understand Claudiu's view on this but I personnaly always work on my setups on hot track to then adapt them without going too deep in it if the conditions are cooler. Maybe top drivers have specific setups for different conditions but I feel like most of us can do with slight adjustments.

- What would you like us to keep?

• The "Cannonball" song introducing the broadcast. I'm thinking about not driving next season, just to feel the excitement provided by this song announcing a great racing broadcast :ROFLMAO:
  • I'm strongly opposed to drop weeks as it penalize those who manage to be here for the entire championship. So, I wish you keep the "no drop week" system. Or give a significant bonus for those who race all weeks, "maybe"...
  • Class championships is the key of this league, from my view. It gives everyone a chance to fight for something even with the high range of skills. Well, that works if @Eero Nõmm gets is own class, obviously... Please keep it.
That last point leads to the "debate" brought up by @Jake_Towns, even if I didn't suffered or made others suffer from similar situation this season, I think.
He's abslolutely right on the fact that being in a higher class is not a license to overtake no matter what. But...

I personnaly race for the Pro/Am championship above all. We race longer races than in official series. All of this requires to be smarter than just the "You shall not pass" strategy I think. Which, most of the time, leads to (at least) a loss of time and sometimes to contacts.

For example, in special events and other endurance series, I always ask my teamates to give me informations about the cars closing on me or I am closing on (laptimes, on-track battles and iRating). Just to know how I should behave when I meet them, in order to lose the less amount of time.
So yeah, being a class above certainly doesn't allow to do everything you want. But this and your laptimes should definitly be an information others should care about.

Sorry for the monstruous post :eek:

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
  • The broadcasts have been very good imo, Chris and Stevie are doing so well together and Stevie's insight knowledge definitely helps a lot since that's something I'm missing in such broadcasts sometimes.
  • Shortening the quali session (I'm not opposed to going back to the 3 laps format, but I didn't catch negative things about the current quali format really).
  • The extension of the field. No disadvantages what so ever having 40+ cars on the track. Means a lot of respect and good race craft, I like. :)
  • Blue flags.
  • The skin packs by Niclas are georgous! <3
What didn't?
  • Highlighting the Pro championship instead of the overall championship (or neglecting the overall championship all together for that matter) on broadcasts aka having a Pro championship. It's a small thing really: In my opinion the Pro championship is a bit pointless since everyone in that class is looking at race podiums and wins out of all cars anyway. The order in which the championship will unfold can solely me changed up by people not getting punished for getting beaten by Pro/Am drivers in some races, receiving more points in the end (which can by the way also deliver different championship winners in theory, which in my opinion shouldn't be a thing). Yes, Sherlock Chris, that's exactly the reason why there are classes, I know, but again, for reasons I mentioned above I don't see the enthrallment that should come by having a seperate Pro championship from the overall championship as it only confusing. Since we're all driving the same cars in every class I think it is rather confusing to neglect the overall championship.

• Getting rid of the Pro championship (not the class!)
  • Maybe re-introducing a drop-week or two again? ;) I'm not sure what the initial reasons were to get rid off them entirely for this season, maybe because it was a shorter one than before (?) (well, one race), so maybe I missed something essential. I'm obviously biased on that matter since it's a rarety I can attend all races in a season (last season was the first one I think in all league racing championships ever) and since it was the first time an iRacing league got rid of them, so it was new I guess.
- I want #9 back :cry:

• Car classes in general as for reasons Jake, Alex and others mentioned above. Makes things way more interesting and also allows a large grid with various things to fight for in any situation. Also agree with the point Jake made about the class superiority, because giving superiority to higher classes in battling situations was definitely not the intention behind creating them.
  • The race length. Or at least don't make it shorter. To introduce the strategy of taking tyres I think too much of an adjustment needs to be made, adding 20 minutes or even more to a single race is maybe a bit much for a weekly series.
Finally, on the calendar thing. So, we have a few scenarios I guess:
  1. Following one calendar (iLMS or IMSA) strictly with starting time and time progression.
  2. Following one calendar and mixing up starting time and time progression.
  3. Mixing iLMS and IMSA based on "best" and "most interesting" tracks, also to mix up the calendar to the season before and following the starting time and time progression.
  4. Same as 3, but with varying starting time and time progression.
  5. 3, but also introducing one-off tracks that are rarely driven, suitable for the GTE.
Personally I don't really like changing up the starting time and time progression towards the official series for reasons Claudiu mentioned above, not even the setups necessarily, but roughly the track conditions which you can prepare for in the official series with other cars. It'd be really cool to keep the calendar as interesting as possible by mixing the two series, but Dominik definitely has a point mentioned above. Idk, personally I like 3 or even 5 the most, just think that messing with the starting time and time progression compared to the official series in 2 and 4 is a bit meh and takes away credibility why we're even following those series.

Right. That's a post...

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
If their were dropped scores I would like it to be enforced that they cannot be the finale, so everyone knows where everyone stands heading into the final race.