AOR iRacing GTE League Season 8 - Round 7: Le Mans | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing GTE League Season 8 - Round 7: Le Mans

• We are aware of some functionality issues with the forums at present. These are being looked into. Feel free to use the bug reports thread to report any issues you encounter. Thanks! :)

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Sadly I had a migraine so was not able to open my eyes without my head feeling like it was going to explode.

Speaking of broadcasts, A situation has arisen that means that, after the race next week, I will not be available for the rest of the season. Essentially the F1 2019 T1 caster has pulled out, and It will fall to me to see out the season. With F1 esports going on until the end of November for me, I simply cannot do 5 comms in a row. 4 is my absolute limit. Once F1 esports is over, I am able to resume
So, are you saying saying some random gamers, playing on a random racecars game are more important than us, GTE drivers, competing on the most exciting driving simulator?
I'm gonna cry... :cry:

Paulo Martins

Formula 4 Test Driver
Mar 9, 2019
Gets more views, it is more important!! Please understand the irony
Honestly, that f1 game, it is for 10 years old ppl, IMO

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Nothing to do with the view count, its because its a sponsered league.
So is this one, I remember you guys asking everyone for donations to make the broadcasting possible. So basically gte people actually paid to have this... (For full disclosure, I didn't donate)

I totally get that You can't do everything, so not blaming You for anything, just voicing my opinion.

Merlin Cooper

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2017
So is this one, I remember you guys asking everyone for donations to make the broadcasting possible. So basically gte people actually paid to have this... (For full disclosure, I didn't donate)

I totally get that You can't do everything, so not blaming You for anything, just voicing my opinion.
Although I do like the stream very much as well - typically it's going to be very late because after the race I do watch the stream - a donation is different than paying for a service from my point of view.

The donations we made is to honor on a voluntary bases the effort for setting up a weekly stream. By the way it was for all iRacing leagues together when I do recall right.

Paying for something would mean to me we do have some kind of contract and you only get the service if you paid for it. Thus either only be able to drive or get access to the stream when payed for it. That's not my understanding.

P.S.: Did donate last season and did not regret it at all - but did not make a donate for the stream for this season because beeing reserve driver only at the beginning.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Although I do like the stream very much as well - typically it's going to be very late because after the race I do watch the stream - a donation is different than paying for a service from my point of view.

The donations we made is to honor on a voluntary bases the effort for setting up a weekly stream. By the way it was for all iRacing leagues together when I do recall right.

Paying for something would mean to me we do have some kind of contract and you only get the service if you paid for it. Thus either only be able to drive or get access to the stream when payed for it. That's not my understanding.

P.S.: Did donate last season and did not regret it at all - but did not make a donate for the stream for this season because beeing reserve driver only at the beginning.
Actually, first season this series was streamed, we've been asked to donate to make it possible. Basically, not enough donations would have mean no stream.

So yeah, no contract here but we, who have been donating, have the right to ask to be treated as equal as other series I think.

Now that @King-kodiak have stated he'd be back for the rest of the season it's all fine though.

King-kodiak

AOR Head Commentator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
AOR Commentator
May 10, 2016
Actually, first season this series was streamed, we've been asked to donate to make it possible. Basically, not enough donations would have mean no stream.

So yeah, no contract here but we, who have been donating, have the right to ask to be treated as equal as other series I think.

Now that @King-kodiak have stated he'd be back for the rest of the season it's all fine though.
You are right, the situation has changed again meaning I am able to continue with the GTE league. I was always aware of the donations situation, and it wasnt an easy decision I had to make, but the F1 league is sponsored by an external company, Hype energy drinks. The GTE league isnt, it's own drivers have donated towards the stream. We do our best to provide the stream, even though the donated amounts havent always covered the costs of maintaining the AOR broadcasting account (you all know how expensive iRacing is), a situation not helped by the commercial difficulties explained in the recent announcement.

As head commentator, it's my responsibility for the commentary of all leagues at AOR, and equally I do my best to look after the commentators. In F1, I had one of the T1 commentators pull out last week. "Use a reserve to replace him" you could say, and I had considered that, however I felt that was unfair on the T2 and T3 commentators to simply be "passed over" by a reserve. "Move all the commentators up a tier" you could say, and again, I had considered this. However, the other T1 commentator would have to have been moved out of T1, yet he had done nothing wrong, which I am sure you will agree is unfair. I was not willing to split the existing pairs of commentators, as they work very well together as they are (something that is vital to a successful commentary team). This meant that the only other solution was for me to return to F1. "But you are a reserve KK, and you said you wouldn't put a reserve commentator into T1 so as to not upset the other commentators" you might say. The difference is that I started the season in T1, I surrendered that spot so I could do GTE alongside F1 esports (I couldn't do them all as that would mean 5 commentaries in a row, which I cannot fit in with work and family life as well, and I doubt my voice could handle that).

I hope this explains the reasoning behind my decision, I was never going to be able to please everyone and I am not joking when I say that the GTE league is my favorite commentary, which made this decision more difficult. I want to be completely open with you guys, I accept not everyone will like the decision that I made, but I hope now you understand why I made it.

Finally, the reason why this all changed again was because the 2nd T1 commentator pulled out last night, meaning I was able to shuffle the commentators up a tier, therefore I was not required to do T1.

I am always happy to answer any questions any of you have about broadcast related matters, feel free to contact me