AOR iRacing: Next Season Plans + Survey | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing: Next Season Plans + Survey

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Hey guys! So @McPhilen and I have been thinking about how to approach the next AOR iRacing season, amidst the feeling that interest is on a slight decrease with certain drivers planning to step back for next season, either to embark on other racing adventures or to just take a break. For 2 years we've been going along with pretty much the same format for the Star Mazda/Formula Renault 2.0 league, and we feel that the time has come to experiment and shake things up a bit in an attempt to make things more exciting for the new season.

The season will still be running on Friday nights alongside the official iRacing calendar and presumably sticking with the FR2.0 (unless there is major interest for a change), however the race night format we propose is as follows:

● Practice session of 60 minutes
● Qualifying session of 10 minutes - maximum 2 flying laps allowed
● Feature Race of 40-50 (TBD) minutes - grid based on qualifying, mandatory pit-stop
● Sprint Race of 20-30 (TBD) minutes - grid reversed based on feature race results

We've got a few other smaller alterations in mind as well which we'll be going into further detail about later.

With this in mind, we'd like you all to please fill in the below survey which will help us to get an overview of who are planning to carry on racing, and your opinions on certain topics.

Even if you aren't planning on racing next season, it would be nice if you could still answer the survey in order to confirm this, but in that case you don't need to answer any questions beyond the 2nd one.

LINK TO SURVEY!

Thank you! :)

@Lorrentz @Steve Kagerer @The Genius @x Shuffle @Christian Koch @StevieSQ @Hoff @Krusen @Bruno Domiter @Tim AJ Wijffels @lokitekki @heuer91 @GenericOverlord @VICSALT @Leister-Meister @xII robo IIx @Kptk92 @Browneskiii @Brinkk @Gunar Nijenhuis @Patrick Kessler @Nathaniel Simpson @Mitti87 @Synergi @J-F Godin @Osterkamp @Robert Plumley @camo @Tye @frejo @Erti147 @Janick Nijenhuis @Lewis @Helsh Brisky @coldestginger @Dylan Hember

Krusen

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 28, 2014
My biggest issue is probably the race day/time. Friday evening, every week, is a bit "limiting" - for me at least.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
I don't think the sprint race should be full reverse. Otherwise you might have people tactically 'crashing out' to secure a better result in the sprint.

• Informative
Reactions: FisiFan91

lokitekki

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 3 Champion
Aug 13, 2016
I think that reversed grid race should be the longer one, because there needs to be time to overtake. And maximum of top 10 reversed because otherwise the pace difference is so high that it is dangerous. And it is not fair if someone fast driver is last on the first race, then he has easy win on the second race.
There was similar in Finnish championship and it had top 6 reversed.
It had 10 more laps in reversed race. 19-29
30m-30m would be good too.
Fixed setup is not needed, because setups from the forum can win, it is just the drivers that made the difference in speed.
I change those setups to give maybe 0.1 advantage, but it is also harder to drive. Last race i had almost unmodified setup but good mindset, so it makes the biggest difference.

• Informative
Reactions: FisiFan91

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah agree on the full reverse, that'll be dangerous. Maybe indeed top 10/ top 12.

I do think the reversed grid race should be shorter than feature race but only if that race gives less points for a win.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Tye and FisiFan91

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
I think its best to do a top 10 reverse for the sprintrace if thats possible with iracing...so you can expect cool battles for making it into the top 10....and you wont see ppl deliberate crash out of the race to take pole for 2nd race...also only points for top 10/15 in sprintrace i guess to spice things up..

Maybe we can shorten practise a bit to 45 minutes in stead of 60...

• Agree
Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah a bit shorter practice would be fine as well.
I voted for 50 minutes - 25 minutes and with a shorter practice the total time would be about the same.

Reactions: Robert Plumley

lokitekki

Aug 13, 2016
I agree that practise could be shorter, because you can always practise before that.
I think it would be good to have different weather in the second race, maybe even decided by somebody, because it would be good to have some extreme weather sometimes, like 50c or 20c.
I think dnf drivers could still be in that second race.. It would maybe make first race have more risky overtakes.

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Yep, what Gunar said.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Oh and also, maybe a full reversed grid would be fun as well (with less points to win in race 2). Yeah it might be dangerous but faster drivers need to adapt to that and it then gives everyone a chance to win. And if there is a crash, we can deploy a safety which is awesome as well :p (with full reversed then only the people that actually finished race 1).

Or you can spin a wheel after race one to determine how many cars will be reversed. Minimum of 10 and maximum of full grid.

lokitekki

Aug 13, 2016
But then we also need fast repair.. :D It would be fun, but it needs a longer race if it is a full reversed grid.
Or have like 20-30s from leader limit and that would be where it is reversed, so there would not be 3s off pace drivers on pole.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
but it needs a longer race if it is a full reversed grid.
The longer the 2nd race will be, the bigger the chances that finishing orders will be exactly the same as race 1. What I think this league needs is giving more people the chance to win and thus making the championship more exciting.
Race 1 full points and maybe race two 50-75% of points

• Agree
Reactions: Lorrentz

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
But then we also need fast repair.. :D It would be fun, but it needs a longer race if it is a full reversed grid.
Or have like 20-30s from leader limit and that would be where it is reversed, so there would not be 3s off pace drivers on pole.
Why longer? You are so fast youwill be from 30th to 1st in 1.5 lap...just raise your bar a bit common :D