AOR iRacing: Next Season Plans + Survey | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR iRacing: Next Season Plans + Survey

GenericOverlord

F1 Test Driver
May 26, 2014
I won't be racing next season, as I did have to sell off my rig after all. I support the idea of changing the race night up though. I agree with others who said 50 min/25 min race lengths with a shorter practice. Okay with a full reverse grid so long as it's classified finishers only.

I haven't watched any races since I left as I haven't been very well to be honest.

If I ever did rejoin, I'd be happy to pay a small fee to race too, particularly if it helps with getting the race broadcast live.

• Friendly
Reactions: Steve Kagerer

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Or have like 20-30s from leader limit and that would be where it is reversed
Lol, that would mean that on Sebring the top 3 would've been reversed for race 2, so that doesn't work.
As we said before, there is different skill levels in this league and what I'm proposing is giving everyone a chance to win in race 2. What you're proposing is giving you the most chance to win 2 races, which as an result will lead to more boring races and championships

• Agree
Reactions: Lorrentz

lokitekki

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 3 Champion
Aug 13, 2016
Ok we can do full grid reversed, it is good that i am going to be one of the last, because it can be a huge crash in top 10 in first laps :D Corner like sebring t1 is so hard that there could be easily 10 cars out in t1.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
I was thinking that for drivers to be part of the reversed order they'll need to finish on the lead lap in the first race. Drivers who are lapped or DNF start at the back.

Points system would differ slightly between the two races relative to the race length.

We can't really have a safety car unless someone responsible volunteers to spend their Friday evening as a race director lol. But with the reverse grid you'd hope we won't need that to make action happen anyway.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
We can't really have a safety car unless someone responsible volunteers to spend their Friday evening as a race director
Well if you can give one of the commentators admin rights, then they can potentially deploy it right? Assuming we get broadcasting.
Not sure how that works tho with giving someone those rights

Last edited:
Reactions: GenericOverlord

Steve Kagerer

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2015
I wish you made a poll first to see if people want this format or not, I only saw a few drivers say they wanted this. The survey had no option to stick with one main event.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
I wish you made a poll first to see if people want this format or not, I only saw a few drivers say they wanted this. The survey had no option to stick with one main event.
There is a question for you to state whether you think the new format will make things more exciting, however based both on feedback from some drivers and also our own feelings, @McPhilen and I feel it is a good time to break from the normal trend and try something a bit different for at least one season after 2 years of the same old.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

frejo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2015
Done with the survey. I'd continue to race in the FR2.0 too, but think a car-change would mean the most for my motivation so that's why it's not on my list of preferred cars :)

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Interested to know why you wouldn't want to switch things up. I mean, you've been here way longer than I am but I am already really looking forward to a switch. Curious as to why you wouldnt want to change things Steve

Steve Kagerer

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2015
OK my attitude needs some explaining. I did years of 1.5 hour sprint races and 3 hour season opener and closer so I like long races where it's all on the line and there is some fuel/tire strategy.(sadly FR2.0 has not much tire wear). I'm up for a change, but wished it was the car or something that most people wanted or asked for, like I said I only saw maybe 5 people mention that they wanted this, I'm probably not seeing the whole picture there. I hope it works and spices things up in a good way.

If it's just about increasing the fun how about skipping qualifying altogether to make the evening a bit shorter and eliminating any possible manipulation of finishing spots in race1. Indycar tried lottery start once on their most dangerous track,Texas, it failed miserably for indycar though because the fast drivers had to race among slow or inexperienced ones and they all shat their pants a few times and wanted to kill the organizers after the race, not quite the same when it's only virtual, with the threat of death-by-rookie removed it could be interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
I also would not want to change the format - only change I could imagine: reduce practice and add that time to the race. i.e. 45 minutes practice and add those 25 minutes to the race or so.

In general I think the format is not the thing which should be changed - it worked well quite a long time and I don't see the necessity to change it.

I also don't like reverse grids.

It's the car, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve Kagerer

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Yes I agree that the car makes for less exciting racing than the SM for example. And the format indeed worked for a long time - in the Star Mazda...

But there has already been a vote about the car and the FR came out as most popular so then it makes sense to come up with something that makes races in the FR more exciting right? What would doing 1 even longer race change? The differences between drivers will only be bigger in longer races.

Why don't you like reverse grids?

Tye

GP2 Test Driver
Jun 26, 2015
Cool to see things spiced up a bit.

after an hour long race or so I'm usually pretty knackered :D so I'm looking forward to sprint races after these. The reverse race definitely needs to be short otherwise its just going to be a case of how long does it take the top 5 to get ahead without crashing into one of us mortals.

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
But there has already been a vote about the car and the FR came out as most popular so then it makes sense to come up with something that makes races in the FR more exciting right? What would doing 1 even longer race change? The differences between drivers will only be bigger in longer races.

Why don't you like reverse grids?
Agree, in case the league stays with the FR, you might want to chage the format. As in my personal perspective the FR doesn't play any role anymore .... well, lost that out of sight :)

I for one just like longer races ....except in the FR :) Final, even bigger, time gaps are not of my concern i. e. how much further back I would be of the winner.

Reverse grids just feel odd to me, as I really think someone who sets the fastest lap during Q should be rewarded with pole and should not be punished via being set back to the end of the field.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Agree, in case the league stays with the FR, you might want to chage the format. As in my personal perspective the FR doesn't play any role anymore .... well, lost that out of sight :)

I for one just like longer races ....except in the FR :) Final, even bigger, time gaps are not of my concern i. e. how much further back I would be of the winner.

Reverse grids just feel odd to me, as I really think someone who sets the fastest lap during Q should be rewarded with pole and should be set back to the end of the field.
Yeah, we just have to keep going with this car until hopefully the 3.5 releases. I fully agree that this is not the most exciting car to race with!

But in a longer race it's not just the gap to the actual winner. It's about the gaps between every drivers. If you start in 10th and the #9 is half a tenth per lap quicker, obviously the longer the race the bigger that gap will be and so you get even less battles than we see now. I do agree that in almost any other car this will be different but that just has to do with how the car drives, i.e. draft effect etc

reverse grids are odd :p you're absolutely right, it probably does feel odd to start from pole while you have pace for 10th or 15th, but I really think that odd grid placement will make for some super fun races. Get people out of their comfort zone and unexpected things will happen ;)
But the guy that sets the fastest lap in Q will still be on pole - but if he wins, he has a bigger challenge in race 2

Tye

GP2 Test Driver
Jun 26, 2015
Reverse grids just feel odd to me, as I really think someone who sets the fastest lap during Q should be rewarded with pole and should not be punished via being set back to the end of the field.

They will be rewarded with pole in the feature race. The reverse grid SHOULD reward people who have been consistent in the feature races and give them a chance at even better results in the sprint albeit for less points. The quicker guys will still make up positions but hopefully not too many :p

Not only should we get more action in the sprint races but could throw things up a bit in the mid table of the championship.

Only other way i can see us evening things out a bit without doing a reverse grid would be weight penalties, is that even possible in iracing?

Hoff

FR2.0 S4 Pre-Season Sprint Race Winner
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2014
The only problem you will have is if someone is out of the first race by the first corner or shortly after, they may not be interested in waiting around for 50 mins on a friday night for the next race to happen.