PC - AOR PC Split 3 - R5: Spain - 13/11/2016 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR PC Split 3 - R5: Spain - 13/11/2016

Joni

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Nov 1, 2016
i think i've got pace for top 5 at least, looking better on race pace then quali (like usual). really struggeled to get the front turned at sector 3 in todays social but i did have an rfactor 2 league race before that and the ffb was much lighter, but what can you do. im expecting 21.4-7 from me and pole to be around a 21.0-2

I've only done some time trial (still hoping for a point or two), but isn't quali pace about 1 sec slower than time trial pace?
So a 1:21.7 would be humongous ^^

PS: last sector really caches me out quiet often as well :/

CianF1

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 17, 2016
I've found that time trial is only about 2-5 tenths quicker around here. Offline in quick races in the merc I've been doing 21.4s but I'm not sure how that translates to in multiplayer

Reactions: Joni

Ranger

S12 AOR PC F1 Split 3 Champion
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2014
I wouldn't worry so much about Qualy, there are a couple kerbs round here cm that if taken slightly wrong could be dangerous.

Ranger

S12 AOR PC F1 Split 3 Champion
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2014
Well this is bad.... I may have to use the Pad tonight instead of my wheel. My wrists have flared up and I'm struggling to grip my wheel.

Who uses a pad all? I may need setup advice for using a pad.

CianF1

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 17, 2016
I wouldn't worry so much about Qualy, there are a couple kerbs round here cm that if taken slightly wrong could be dangerous.
I am worrying about quali because I'm running high downforce and apparently I'm not allowed to make a move on the brakes without someone turning in to me, one thing I do have is that I am very good compared to others in s3, so idk

CianF1

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 17, 2016
so did some race simulations, high 24s, low 25's is that any good?

Joni

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Nov 1, 2016
Well this is bad.... I may have to use the Pad tonight instead of my wheel. My wrists have flared up and I'm struggling to grip my wheel.

Who uses a pad all? I may need setup advice for using a pad.
I use a pad, just look on the time trial leaderboard (I did a 1:21.822), and check out my setup, it's the same I am using for the race (except for the tyre pressure, I think I will up that a bit)

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
apparently I'm not allowed to make a move on the brakes without someone turning in to me
This is based off the social the other night. People keep turning into you because you were coming from too far back. I mean I followed you briefly and watched you dive up the inside of 2 cars in as little as 2 corners.

There's no problem of you out-braking someone, or suddenly diving up the inside, but a divebomb comes with risks, and the biggest risk is that the car you're dive-bombing doesn't see you coming.

We only have one rule regarding overtaking in the leagues:

1.2 Overtaking:

● Don't be too aggressive when trying to overtake. As the chasing car, it is generally your responsibility to not make contact with the car in front.

For example I know there was an incident where 2 cars were close together into T1 and there was a divebomb on both of them. There's no need for driving like that because realistically, it's only going to end in a crash, which it did. Only Daniel Ricciardo is Daniel Ricciardo, and the quicker people stop trying to copy him the better.

Difference is, if you watch his magnificent dive-bombs, yes they come from far back, but he spends 2/3 laps before that working out exactly how late he can brake. It's rare he just rocks up behind somebody who is just as fast and instantly dive-bombs them. A divebomb is not just a last minute, desperate lunge. It is a very well executed move which needs to be pulled off to perfection and relies on the driver in front seeing them coming, and not turning in.

However, I'll counter this, because I'm probably one of the more aware drivers out there. And if someone does dive-bomb me, I usually see it coming. (I've even realised before that somebody behind has out-braked themselves and is going to hit me, so I've lifted off the brakes to avoid the collision.) If you continually dive-bomb me, because you assume I'll see you coming, this will grow tiresome, so I'll just start defending from you everywhere if I can't trust you in the braking zone, and I'll slow us both down just to prove a point.

Racing is all about respect. You don't get good racing if somebody comes in with the attitude of going gun-ho right from the go, go, go.

If a dive-bomb is the only way you know how to overtake, then it's only ever going to end badly.

Btw, this wasn't a rant at you, it was just an explanation.

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
By the way, I have a friend coming over for the race. He may be difficult and not leave, at which point I won't be racing, but it might literally be a 7.50pm 'Yeah I can't make it'.

So if that's the case, I may still be appearing online, and on steam, but I can't race because my friend is here. If that is the case, as I've said in the main thread, @Blue Inquisitor is in charge, so make sure you all add him on Steam.

CianF1

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 17, 2016
This is based off the social the other night. People keep turning into you because you were coming from too far back. I mean I followed you briefly and watched you dive up the inside of 2 cars in as little as 2 corners.

There's no problem of you out-braking someone, or suddenly diving up the inside, but a divebomb comes with risks, and the biggest risk is that the car you're dive-bombing doesn't see you coming.

We only have one rule regarding overtaking in the leagues:

1.2 Overtaking:

● Don't be too aggressive when trying to overtake. As the chasing car, it is generally your responsibility to not make contact with the car in front.

For example I know there was an incident where 2 cars were close together into T1 and there was a divebomb on both of them. There's no need for driving like that because realistically, it's only going to end in a crash, which it did. Only Daniel Ricciardo is Daniel Ricciardo, and the quicker people stop trying to copy him the better.

Difference is, if you watch his magnificent dive-bombs, yes they come from far back, but he spends 2/3 laps before that working out exactly how late he can brake. It's rare he just rocks up behind somebody who is just as fast and instantly dive-bombs them. A divebomb is not just a last minute, desperate lunge. It is a very well executed move which needs to be pulled off to perfection and relies on the driver in front seeing them coming, and not turning in.

However, I'll counter this, because I'm probably one of the more aware drivers out there. And if someone does dive-bomb me, I usually see it coming. (I've even realised before that somebody behind has out-braked themselves and is going to hit me, so I've lifted off the brakes to avoid the collision.) If you continually dive-bomb me, because you assume I'll see you coming, this will grow tiresome, so I'll just start defending from you everywhere if I can't trust you in the braking zone, and I'll slow us both down just to prove a point.

Racing is all about respect. You don't get good racing if somebody comes in with the attitude of going gun-ho right from the go, go, go.

If a dive-bomb is the only way you know how to overtake, then it's only ever going to end badly.

Btw, this wasn't a rant at you, it was just an explanation.
Yeah I know how to overtake, but i do a different league on rfactor 2, where drivers just always see moves coming, and they will purposely try to block the move (by going to the inside, even in f1 races, if they don't want the move coming then you should go defensive. and i dont know what it is but i seem to be pretty good on the brakes compared to people. i did make one misjudgement in the first social, on lap 1. of course i was only about 5 tenths behind and i made a move, which in my view was too aggressive. but i made another move where i capitilised when punisher and adrenaline where side by side, adrenaline outbroke himself into t1 and missed the corner, i was about 2 car lengths away from punisher and i went up the inside, and he turned into me ( i had been behind him for 2 laps and he was running lower aero which meant he was quicker on the straights) i had planned the move and he just turned into me and completely blamed me for the incident.

Blue Inquisitor

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Yeah I know how to overtake, but i do a different league on rfactor 2, where drivers just always see moves coming, and they will purposely try to block the move (by going to the inside, even in f1 races, if they don't want the move coming then you should go defensive. and i dont know what it is but i seem to be pretty good on the brakes compared to people. i did make one misjudgement in the first social, on lap 1. of course i was only about 5 tenths behind and i made a move, which in my view was too aggressive. but i made another move where i capitilised when punisher and adrenaline where side by side, adrenaline outbroke himself into t1 and missed the corner, i was about 2 car lengths away from punisher and i went up the inside, and he turned into me ( i had been behind him for 2 laps and he was running lower aero which meant he was quicker on the straights) i had planned the move and he just turned into me and completely blamed me for the incident.
Remember that the onus not to make contact is on the driver making the move. You have to expect the driver who is ahead and on the racing line to turn into the corner like normal. It sounds like to me that you expect the cars in front to just move out of the way when you make a divebomb move up the inside. I'm not exactly filled with confidence after reading this.

CianF1

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 17, 2016
Remember that the onus not to make contact is on the driver making the move. You have to expect the driver who is ahead and on the racing line to turn into the corner like normal. It sounds like to me that you expect the cars in front to just move out of the way when you make a divebomb move up the inside. I'm not exactly filled with confidence after reading this.
what i was saying on the move with punisher was is that he could see me, my front wing was alongside him, and he turned in

Joni

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Nov 1, 2016
my timing might be very close tonight, as i am just ariving 20 minutes bevore race start if my train is on time
would be nice if you could send me an invite even if i don't make it, so that i could still join during quali :)

Punisher

GP2 Reserve Driver
Oct 17, 2014
what i was saying on the move with punisher was is that he could see me, my front wing was alongside him, and he turned in
No it wasn't like you said you was 2 cars behind and dived from back there which is totally unsafe and will only end up with a collision you were 2 cars behind like you said so obviously I will take the corner normally. It seems that you go for gaps that do not really exist. I personally have had 3 problems with you and you have only just joined I wasn't going to say anything and give you a chance this race but it seems you keep trying to blame me when it was not me and I am not the only one who has had issues with you aswell. I have heard you dive into other people aswell as coming back onto the track in bad ways. You can't expect people who are several cars ahead of you to move out of the way so you can pass them so easy you simply should have braked abit later than me if you felt you could to the extent that you will be right behind me then wait for a better opportunity or the next DRS. Be patient not unsafe. I knew you was behind me but you was so far behind me that the only way you could have overtaken me is if you completely went off and had a major extend which means you would have lost a lot of time anyway along with that and you would have most likely brought me off the track with you.

Frankly I'm not looking forward to racing you tonight considering you have had so many incidents in such a small amount of time and still have clearly not learnt from it and still don't see what you did wrong.