iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
AOR Pro Mazda Championship Season 4
Round 1: Road Atlanta

Information:
Date: 18th September 2015
Time: 18:30 GMT/19:30 BST Practice, 19:40 GMT/20:40 BST Qualifying, approx 19:50 GMT/20:50 BST Race

Circuit:
Track: Road Atlanta Full Course
Laps: 44 laps
Weather: Dynamic

Standings:
Season to begin...

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Apologies for being a bit neglectful in the build-up this week. With regards to track evolution, it will be carried across from session to session. The starting track state will be automatically generated. Marbles will also be cleaned off the track before the start of each session.

NillisLukins

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Sadface.

90% chance i'm missing this. Work have asked me to go to an exhibition in London on Friday and I don't like my chances of getting back in time for the race. It depends on how early we pack up, but I won't know when that is until my boss says the word.

So I don't know how you want to proceed @Kptk92. I could let you know either way as soon as I know, which i'm hoping will be about 3 or 4pm on the day, or we could just write me off now. Obv i'd prefer the former option but if that makes it difficult for you to get a reserve in then I guess I could just officially drop out now?

Dysania

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Apr 24, 2014
Love the track, love the car/track combo, I just hate my lack of consistency around here. Should be interesting doing my first race with my new, even more makeshift, university setup :)

Reactions: Justin Brunner

Cam

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Turn 5 can be a bitch, skip to 3mins14 and that explains why taking alot of entry curb can be a bad idea!
On another note, not here this week as at nurburgring but i have next Friday (and the one after woo!) off (unless anything has to chsnge) so will make Sebump if a spot is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenericOverlord

F1 Test Driver
May 26, 2014
Fun track, still hate turn 5. Not going to be able to get much practice in this week I don't think because of preparing for my final year of uni which starts soon. Being very familiar with the track does help, but won't know much about how the dynamic track feels to me, unfortunately.

Cam

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Jan 13, 2014
You have nothing to worry about for dynamic track, doesnt make it harder than it was before :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: GenericOverlord

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Just a reminder for you all to please make sure you have the correct livery file uploaded to Trading Paints before the race tomorrow! I assume many will use the same livery as last season, but for new teams and people who have changed teams, make sure you have your livery sorted!

The livery file you have applied for the first race is what will be kept for all race coverage videos until the end of the season (unless you were to change to another team mid-season for some reason).

PS: Teammates using the same livery style is obviously preferred.

Last edited:

Erti147

Super Mod & Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Just a reminder for you all to please make sure you have the correct livery file uploaded to Trading Paints before the race tomorrow! I assume many will use the same livery as last season, but for new teams and people who have changed teams, make sure you have your livery sorted!

The livery file you have applied for the first race is what will be kept for all race coverage videos until the end of the season (unless you were to change to another team mid-season for some reason).

PS: Teammates using the same livery style is obviously preferred.
Dun forget car numbers lol

Hugo

Formula Karter
Jun 11, 2015
New Season, same damn luck.
Good qualifying with enough pace to fight for Top 5 but it wasn't meant to be.
I was overtaking Richard on the inside of the last turn to become 4th and on that turn it is impossible to keep car completely on the inside after mid turn. It always throws you to the left part of the track and clipping the curb also helped. Richard was trying to defend his position but I think he should have given me a bit more space, knowing that on that turn, my car wouldn't be on the inside after mid turn. My left rear and his right front clipped... race over for me.

No harm done Richard - racing incident on my perspective, but having a bit more space would have helped.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Joonas Puhakka

Formula Karter
Jun 3, 2015
So, I did OK in qualifying, started 9th. Race went okay until about lap 2, when everything started flickering. Deltabar? Gone. Black box? No, no black box for you, dear. Especially coming up to turn 2 is difficult, when the entire background is just black apart from some random graphics. The track, thankfully, was still there, and so were the cars, and since I had a spotter and iSpeed, I kept going.

Gained few places, I think I was in 5th or something (on track) when coming to the pits. Next surprise: No pit lane info. The lollipop man, thankfully, was there, so I stopped and thanked myself for adjusting fuel & tyres in grid. Exited pits, passed Jamie, then spotter said "car right". I can't turn any more right because stuff kept flickering so it's kinda hard to see anything. Hit the grass, which I didn't see where it exactly was, slammed the wall (of course!) and race over.

Thanks, iRacing. It's not like I wanted to finish anyway. It sucks when something outside my control ruins my race. I have 45 degree FOV, I can't go 2-wide on the pit exit which is already narrow when everything's flickering. To make it even worse, I didn't even plan on passing Jamie, I would've been perfectly content staying behind for some time at least.

I already had one race ruined earlier today thanks to T1 disappearing grip trick, and now another one thanks to graphics going FUBAR.

GenericOverlord

F1 Test Driver
May 26, 2014
Was having probably my best ever race until I binned it at the end of lap 43 at the chicane. Not even the new tyre model could save me. I have a knack of spinning in front of the leaders when they're about to lap me! :(

But still, P16, even though I would have finished P11 if I hadn't had crashed, isn't bad when my practice consisted of everything I did in this evening's sessions. I learnt quite a bit as the race went on and almost broke the 18's, which is great pace for me! If I get fast broadband soon, like I'm supposed to be, then I might upload this race to Youtube sometime in the future, as I saved the entire race.

I had some great battling with Tye as well!

Finally, in the race coverage video, would it be possible to show what everyone's incident count was when the results of the race are being displayed? @FisiFan91 I think it'd be a nice little addition to show how close some people were to getting DQ'd, getting a bonus point etc.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Qualifying wasn't great but the race was executed to perfection. I had to survive the opening 10 laps while @McPhilen decided to wreck havoc at the front but once we ran 1-2 I had to pull rank (as second driver) and dictate our team strategy so we could pull away and protect the positions. It wasn't until the final 10 laps when everyone had fallen away that I decided to engage and we locked horns - a few close calls here and there but the goal was to maintain maximum points, considering how slow we usually are to start a season and Interlagos S2 still in the memory. All it took was one mistake from Phil on the exit of Turn 7 on the final lap that decided things but we start off in the best possible way and hopefully I can combine the best bits of last season for 12 races this season.

Already looking forward to the next one, let's go! :D

Dysania

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Apr 24, 2014
Well... An eventful race with a somewhat deserved ending.

Started on pole with a lap I knew I had more time in, that's the good bit. The bad goes as follows.

Got a miserable launch and then on take two of finding the right clutch point I still get it wrong. Off I go and Justin swamps me off the start and I'm being hounded by Rickey and Phil. Survive lap one but lap 2 when trying to hold it around the outside I forgot that there was exactly no grip out there and ventured off to do some lawn mowing. I think I was 15th, maybe 16th at the end of the lap.

An uncommon wave of aggression came over me after this, initially in a positive way as I started scrapping my way through the field and with the help of a few guys losing it at the now infamous T5, I worked my way back to Rickey for what was at the time I think 5th or 6th place. I didn't get the job done into the final chicane but got a good enough run to get alongside at T1, I thought I had the move almost done but I came in far too shallow and understeered a tad and we made slight contact and unfortunately I think Rickey's race was ruined and for that I apologise and take responsibility for not getting it right.

I catch up to and pass Joonas but can't break free and spent the rest of the opening stint trying unsuccessfully to get free. I pitted with 2 laps of fuel available which was a lap earlier than I wanted but I wanted to try and break Joonas. Unfortunately he followed me in and we hit our marks. I was stationary for a damn long time for a 4G fuel intake and with where I was positioned in the pit lane I wasn't at the pit lane speed when we exited so he had a slight run on me and is side by side. Next thing he's in the wall and I'm left very confused and unsure as to what had happened. We didn't touch, I was confident we had space to go two wide out of the pit and I wasn't giving the place up because I got a "car left" call but never a "clear". Unfortunately my recording decided to screw up massively and record at 1fps which is brilliant, I had issues recording BSRTC last night, but the audio is remarkably fine so my ability to judge how far ahead (if at all) Joonas was is unreliable. though for what it's worth I do not recall seeing Joonas ahead of me and certainly not far enough that I'm lifting off. I caught a look at the two incidents I was directly involved in, Rickey's I'll take responsibility for not making the move clean and understeering wide but for the pit exit incident I'd need another look at it and I foolishly forgot to save the replay, thinking that my recording is fine (though I pre-emptively saved my Q lap before the start of the race).

After that with a scrambled head my pace was pretty good, matching the leaders with less than perfect laps and holding off Justin about 3 seconds behind, the gap not coming down any significant margin, then with I think 12 laps to go I blew the engine with one aggressive downshift too many. It was a shame because in terms of pace I was surprisingly on the ball, far more so than last season here but getting involved in incidents with other drivers is not what I expect from myself and for that I'm very disappointed.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Finally, in the race coverage video, would it be possible to show what everyone's incident count was when the results of the race are being displayed? @FisiFan91 I think it'd be a nice little addition to show how close some people were to getting DQ'd, getting a bonus point etc.
I'll see if it'll be possible to fit it in somewhere :)

Reactions: GenericOverlord

Joonas Puhakka

Formula Karter
Jun 3, 2015
I catch up to and pass Joonas but can't break free and spent the rest of the opening stint trying unsuccessfully to get free. I pitted with 2 laps of fuel available which was a lap earlier than I wanted but I wanted to try and break Joonas. Unfortunately he followed me in and we hit our marks. I was stationary for a damn long time for a 4G fuel intake and with where I was positioned in the pit lane I wasn't at the pit lane speed when we exited so he had a slight run on me and is side by side. Next thing he's in the wall and I'm left very confused and unsure as to what had happened. We didn't touch, I was confident we had space to go two wide out of the pit and I wasn't giving the place up because I got a "car left" call but never a "clear". Unfortunately my recording decided to screw up massively and record at 1fps which is brilliant, I had issues recording BSRTC last night, but the audio is remarkably fine so my ability to judge how far ahead (if at all) Joonas was is unreliable. though for what it's worth I do not recall seeing Joonas ahead of me and certainly not far enough that I'm lifting off.
I was ever-so slightly ahead of you on the outside, and going a bit faster. Then again, I didn't see that you had that much speed initially, and thought you were more behind. As I explained above, I had a bit of a difficulty to see anything around me. Not blaming you for the incident, my chat message during race was more out of frustration at myself than you.

Still, I don't think going there 2-wide would've worked anyway, but I couldn't exactly lift once I had committed there, because I feared it'd result in understeer and hello wall, which happened anyway.

All in all, just a damn frustrating sequence.

EDIT: Oh, and I was surprised I could keep up so well too, to be honest. I know I had a good race set this time, and I knew that I could go faster if it weren't for some actual technical issues this time. Funnily enough, we had a mini-meet this weekend, I was invited but opted to race instead. Now I'm drinking the only beer I have here, the shops are closed and... this is no longer a race report, is it?