AOR Pro Mazda Season 2 Ideas & Discussion | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Pro Mazda Season 2 Ideas & Discussion

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
The general consensus regarding the 2/3 car teams is that 2 is certainly the way to go in terms of Championship scoring. I'm leaning towards cutting the teams down to 2 drivers per team to prevent any potential advantage but I don't want to break up some great teams that are already in place. Would like to hear your thoughts on how your teams would be impacted @PeteNewman @Robert Plumley @VICSALT @Togomies @Crekkan @oO Troggy Oo

In general, I really like the league a lot, but one thing I think should be changed are the pit stops. I know that the tyres can make the race distance easily, but I feel like there should be 2 stops per race, one for a compulsory tyre change and one for refuelling. I'd say that there should be 2 pit windows, one between 25 and 35% of the race distance and the other between 65 and 75% (these percentages are just ideas) race distance. The drivers can decide which stop to change tyres and which stop to refuel. Currently the pit strategy feels a bit bland for me and too predictable.

Since the no. People racing in each race has declined slightly overall, I think maybe allowing 1 quick repair per driver per race is good, as it'd encouage more people to race consistently. I'd be disheartened if every other week my race was ended because of contact.
Tyre stops will never happen simply because there's no way to scale the wear or force the drivers to change them. The fuel strategy is also relatively interesting right now considering how linear the process is in this series. With the way we have the fuel at the moment, it has often been on the borderline as to how much you can afford to put in the tank. Some drivers play it safe but fuel saving has become apparent, and I have seen some drivers go one gallon less in order to save some time. This is about as exciting as we can have it; it will never be like Formula 1 for example where the fuel load plays a much more critical role.

Adding in quick repairs will destroy this completely, because if you do your mandatory pitstop and have your repair free then iRacing will refuel the car fully immediately, and that would destroy the pit stop element completely.

Crekkan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Mar 30, 2014
As I've said @Kptk92, Avid Chronic Racing are fine with splitting into two versions.

Currently are plans are:

Avid Chronic Racing Team - White, Blue and Orange

- Teemu Valkeejarvi
- Alexander Trowbridge

ACR Crekkan GP - Black, Grey and Red

- Gino Van Den Broecke
- Ben Gregory <----- New driver for Season 2 from ACR

So we're fine with the change, allows us to bring in another driver too!

GenericOverlord

F1 Test Driver
May 26, 2014
The general consensus regarding the 2/3 car teams is that 2 is certainly the way to go in terms of Championship scoring. I'm leaning towards cutting the teams down to 2 drivers per team to prevent any potential advantage but I don't want to break up some great teams that are already in place. Would like to hear your thoughts on how your teams would be impacted @PeteNewman @Robert Plumley @VICSALT @Togomies @Crekkan @oO Troggy Oo

Tyre stops will never happen simply because there's no way to scale the wear or force the drivers to change them. The fuel strategy is also relatively interesting right now considering how linear the process is in this series. With the way we have the fuel at the moment, it has often been on the borderline as to how much you can afford to put in the tank. Some drivers play it safe but fuel saving has become apparent, and I have seen some drivers go one gallon less in order to save some time. This is about as exciting as we can have it; it will never be like Formula 1 for example where the fuel load plays a much more critical role.

Adding in quick repairs will destroy this completely, because if you do your mandatory pitstop and have your repair free then iRacing will refuel the car fully immediately, and that would destroy the pit stop element completely.
Thank you for the response. As I said in my original post, I've never raced on iRacing before, so I don't know the intricacies of iRacing. I agree in that case that racing with quick repairs on would ruin it.

It'd be nice if tyre changes were compulsory but as you say it sounds like there is no way to ensure that it is strictly unforced, unfortunately.
[DOUBLEPOST=1424880598][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is probably what next seasons scheldue will look like, just in a diffrent order.

Monza
Interlagos
Suzuka
Okayama
Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Zandvoort
Spa
Road Atlanta
Bathurst/Panorama
Phillip Island
This sounds like a good schedule. If it's possible to change, I'd eliminate Spa and replace it with Mid Ohio. I really liked watching that race.

our nige

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 3, 2015
What about interviews with drivers at some point in the season, with maybe the top three in the championship discussing the season so far and major talking points. Skype could be used to involve everyone and to put faces to the names.

Crekkan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Mar 30, 2014
What about interviews with drivers at some point in the season, with maybe the top three in the championship discussing the season so far and major talking points. Skype could be used to involve everyone and to put faces to the names.
That requires co-operation between drivers... team radio never got anywhere because of the lack of it :/

We'll be a bit more upfront about it.. but it looks like I'll have to make two threads when the season 2 forum is up to begin with (Team Recruitment and Season 2 Liveries), don't want to be too demanding and stuff...

Mitti87

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2014
My second idea for season 2:
Lets try out a multi car session event. Instead of Oval week we could do a race at Road America or Spa with Skip Barber and Lotus 79 for example. I heard some people say they would like to see a Skip Barber feeder League. In my opinion this could be a perfect opportunity to bring more people into this league because drivers from skip barber or lotus have the chance to try out the AOR league first in this special event and maybe later on they decide to permanently race with us in this series. We also can think about making this an Endurance Event, so if some people would like to join as a team we could run this event with a longer duration and with driver swaps.

I do not know if that's even technically feasible. These are just a few thoughts I had for season 2

Reactions: Gregor Reineck

Gregor Reineck

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2015
what do you think about a award for the cleanest driver over the whole season or an extra point for the "highest climber" in a race. they must at least 7 places in a race.

Reactions: Leister-Meister

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
what do you think about a award for the cleanest driver over the whole season or an extra point for the "highest climber" in a race. they must at least 7 places in a race.
Good idea! I do keep a record of this actually for fun (I'm sad) but I might publish them next season!

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
I never studied this iracing myteam feature - would there be any benefit for my AOR league teammate and myself if we create an iracing team? Concerning AOR associated races?

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Because this series isn't using the Team Racing feature (it's usually applied for endurance racing and driver swaps) there's not really a benefit.

• Informative
Reactions: Leister-Meister

Joseph Willows

Formula 4 1st Driver
Mar 17, 2015
U mention that there will be 10 races that weren't in S1 and so far there is only 1 from last season on the calendar which is Suzuka because S2 is a 12 round championship. For a suggestion I think for a 2nd race from S1 what about Silverstone because on the S2 calendar there isn't a british round on there and since there is suppose to be 2 rounds from last season on the calendar, it think it will be fitting

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
U mention that there will be 10 races that weren't in S1 and so far there is only 1 from last season on the calendar which is Suzuka because S2 is a 12 round championship. For a suggestion I think for a 2nd race from S1 what about Silverstone because on the S2 calendar there isn't a british round on there and since there is suppose to be 2 rounds from last season on the calendar, it think it will be fitting
What will happen is that when it comes around to the 8th round of the championship, people will get to vote on what track we race at, rather than it being a set in stone race.

• Agree
Reactions: Joseph Willows