AOR Rally - DR2.0 - Season 2 - Official Announcement (Racenet/Clubs Issues) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Rally - DR2.0 - Season 2 - Official Announcement (Racenet/Clubs Issues)

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
Rally Banner Forum.png

Official Announcement
In light to the recent outages of the Clubs network on DiRT Rally 2.0, the organization of the ApexOnlineRacing Rally Championship has decided to open up a thread where participants can notify them if their runs have been affected in any way whatsoever by the outages. We will try to manually calculate as many of the times we get given per screenshot/recording, given they verify it's been done in the event itself.

If the number of participants affected are over a certain limit set by the organization Round 5 (Argentina) of the ApexOnlineRacing Rally Championship will be cancelled and re-run at a later date. This however is not yet the case, so for now we ask people to please do their times before the weekend, and most preferably early in the morning, if possible. This should avoid any downtime, given the server traffic is significantly slower at those times.

Until further notice this advise is also in effect for all subsequent rallies. We will continue to monitor the situation and we will notify you if anything changes.

Edit: According to Codemasters the issues might be solved, we will continue to keep an eye on the situation.

Participants

Last edited:

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
Couldn't access Clubs last night or tonight, so haven't even started yet. Hoping things are sorted soon. At the minute Club availability is about as good as toilet roll availability.

Carmentalist1

Semi-Pro Karter
Feb 9, 2020
Do we have any idea what’s causing the Clubs issues? I can’t get onto the clubs page on the DiRT website and Codies haven’t said anything about it!

S14Mii

Semi-Pro Karter
Feb 1, 2020
I also had some problems to get into the club in the last days. I made my runs yesterday and when I was finished, my times were saved but I could not join the club again. As I've seen it today - my times are saved.

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
@Carmentalist1 It's pretty simple, ironically, lots of server traffic due to everyone being at home. They are working on it, but I don't expect a fix before next week.

SwabTheDeck

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 9, 2020
I still can't view the clubs, but am curious what is happening with Round 5 Argentina. Did the end date for that event get pushed back? I still haven't been able to do my run.

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
I still can't view the clubs, but am curious what is happening with Round 5 Argentina. Did the end date for that event get pushed back? I still haven't been able to do my run.
Sadly, we cannot adjust events once they have started... If anything it'll have to be cancelled and pushed back to the end of the season, but we'll stay tuned for that.

Reactions: SwabTheDeck

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
In light of the developing situation, the organization has decided to cancel the current round and make changes to the current calendar. Argentina will now take place between Germany and Scotland, as seen here (https://apexonlineracing.com/community/threads/aor-rally-dr2-0-season-2-calendar.62078/). Please stay up-to-date with these changes to the calendar and length of the season. All media threads and spreadsheets will be changed over the rest of the week.

As for next week, if these issues continue, similar actions will be taken to re-structure the season to accommodate for a re-run of Monte Carlo, if we deem it necessary.

Participants

Last edited:

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
Is this still cancelled now 28 people have done the event? Will the results be wiped entirely?

Edit: Actually 30 now. Which is as many as enter most weeks. People are still actively completing the event so I guess the message hasn't got out to most people. I'm a bit on edge because this has been my best week by far!

RWBMystx24

Semi-Pro Karter
Feb 11, 2020
Is this still cancelled now 28 people have done the event? Will the results be wiped entirely?

Edit: Actually 30 now. Which is as many as enter most weeks. People are still actively completing the event so I guess the message hasn't got out to most people. I'm a bit on edge because this has been my best week by far!
I would assume it still is, we have people who have not gone due to seeing it be canceled. I saw it after i did my run. There will be problems if they all the sudden un cancel now so close to event time being up

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
I would assume it still is, we have people who have not gone due to seeing it be canceled. I saw it after i did my run. There will be problems if they all the sudden un cancel now so close to event time being up
It doesn't have to be cancel or uncancel. Maybe those that have completed the event have their time saved, and the event is rerun for everyone else.

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
It doesn't have to be cancel or uncancel. Maybe those that have completed the event have their time saved, and the event is rerun for everyone else.
This event has been cancelled, this was made public on this thursday. The times will NOT carry over due to a whole new event being made for it.

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
Lots of people, myself included, managed to set times before the cancellation on Thursday. Wouldn't it be fairer to carry over the times that have already been set? It's a bit of a slap in the face to spend an hour, set some good times and then be told it won't count after the fact.

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
Lots of people, myself included, managed to set times before the cancellation on Thursday. Wouldn't it be fairer to carry over the times that have already been set? It's a bit of a slap in the face to spend an hour, set some good times and then be told it won't count after the fact.
Since the event was cancelled, all times will be null and void. To avoid any lasting consequences there'll be a new rally event, that doesn't benefit those who did and those who didn't drive.

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
After monitoring the situation further during this week, we've decided that, due to the large scale outage on saturday and the overall instability on sunday, that a substantial amount of the participants was either hindered in participating, or couldn't at all. Therefor we've decided on two outcomes:
  • There will be no penalties for not handing in recordings of Power Stages for this round
  • All points gained this round will be divided by 2, and then rounded up, to mitigate the possible damage to the championship standings.
Participants

RWBMystx24

Semi-Pro Karter
Feb 11, 2020
Explain me this please, how is it ok i finished Argentina it gets put in later on schedule to be re ran. But now i can not log into clubs so i get 0 points in Monte and the people who finish get halved points? So where is my halved Argentina points?. no fault of my own. How exactly is this fair and why are you making decisions not consistent. Yes i am pissed about these silly decisions being made in this league. Oh well guess we are out.
Serious league i was told idk about that.

Reactions: RC staattinen_fi

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
Explain me this please, how is it ok i finished Argentina it gets put in later on schedule to be re ran. But now i can not log into clubs so i get 0 points in Monte and the people who finish get halved points? So where is my halved Argentina points?. no fault of my own. How exactly is this fair and why are you making decisions not consistent. Yes i am pissed about these silly decisions being made in this league. Oh well guess we are out.
Serious league i was told idk about that.
Agree with you there, if nothing else there rules should be self-consistent. Appreciate the AOR organisers have taken steps to mitigate the connection problems, but this way doesn't seem consistent or fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: RWBMystx24

Faerge

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2017
I see the disagreement with our decision, but I sent this out ot a few people who asked the same question. This issue is not black and white, there's no decision that is called cancel or not cancel, so here is the reasoning that Argentina was cancelled whilst Monaco was half points:

There 2 key difference between what happened with Argentina, and the decision to postpone it, and what happened with Monaco, and why we decided to half+round up where needed.

Key difference 1: The amount of active participants
One of the 2 key differences between Argentina and Monaco is the amount of people who have been affected by the racenet issues. In Argentina, the issues were so widespread that we ended up having disparity of 60-65% compared to our baseline average. This was one of the major reason we delayed Argentina. Monaco was different, the issues were less wide spread, and lasted for a shorter duration. This mean that the disparity between our baseline average of active participants in a week and Monaco was only down 25-30%, a much lower number. It was the difference in disparity that made us take the decision to give half points, as it would mean that those who have finished the rally still got points, however those affected wouldn't suffer too much

Key difference 2: The issues themselves:
The 2nd key difference between Argentina and Monaco is the issues themselves, and their duration. Argentina lasted for more than half the week, causing many to not be able to compete - See Key difference 1 - and it was a fault with the system that needed a back end fix. This was an another reason for postponing Argentina. Monaco again was different. The servers themselves did not suffer any issues, however they got issues from overload. This was due to the game, for the first time since launch, had more than 3,000 concurrent players. This is coupled with the fact that the issues only plagued in the weekend, thus still allowing people to compete without problems from Monday-Friday, was the reason we decided to give half points.

Conclusion
As I hope the above have explained well enough, it was hard for us to postpone Monaco, as there were key differences between the 2 rallies, their issues, and how it affected people. The decision was in our end not as black and white as some think it was.

Sincerly
Faerge
AOR DiRT&Rocket League coordinator

iamparpparp

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 27, 2019
Hi Faerge, thanks for explaining all that. It makes things much clearer.
I just checked Racenet and attendance of the first 4 rounds was between 40 and 50 each week. In Argentina there were 32 entrants, and Monte Carlo 39. So far more than half finished Argentina. Looking at that, I'm surprised Argentina was cancelled entirely and I'm surprised you cut the points for Monaco. But I do appreciate you're trying to make it fair for everyone.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea to have set thresholds for transparency. For example, if less than 70% of players enter an event, use half points. If less than half can enter than postpone. However measured and sensible you guys are as admins, people are gonna be upset if they 1. do well and have no points given after the fact or 2. can't enter the event due to technical difficulties and everyone else gets points anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to write out all your reasoning!

EDIT: As pointed out by some of my Formullama teammates, this is a timed event and requires no concurrent running at all. So I wonder why the organisers didn't consider putting both events back up another time and told those who missed out to give it a go. Everyone gets a fair chance and no one's legitimate performance is erased, so surely much less controversial.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Chickano

SereneLogic

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Rocket League Cod
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2017
Hi Faerge, thanks for explaining all that. It makes things much clearer.
I just checked Racenet and attendance of the first 4 rounds was between 40 and 50 each week. In Argentina there were 32 entrants, and Monte Carlo 39. So far more than half finished Argentina. Looking at that, I'm surprised Argentina was cancelled entirely and I'm surprised you cut the points for Monaco. But I do appreciate you're trying to make it fair for everyone.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea to have set thresholds for transparency. For example, if less than 70% of players enter an event, use half points. If less than half can enter than postpone. However measured and sensible you guys are as admins, people are gonna be upset if they 1. do well and have no points given after the fact or 2. can't enter the event due to technical difficulties and everyone else gets points anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to write out all your reasoning!
If the total participant count of all finishers (I'll go into this shortly) is between 75% and 55% we'll be reducing the points by half. If the participant count drops below 55%, we'll be cancelling the rally. The reason we take finishers only, is because people may have retired after being affected, so it may skew the numbers unfairly. For anyone wondering, the average participants that finish a rally are around 60, give or take a handful.

Also I'll clarify a bit more, Monte Carlo and Argentina aren't comparable, due to Argentina having a racenet outage of over 50% of the event's runtime. This was not the case in Monte Carlo. If any event loses more than 50% of it's runtime, it'll be cancelled regardless of participant count.