Apr 4, 2015
Round 3 - Chinese Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 18

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 25th August 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Shanghai International Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
@Hercules
@QVR_Maladictis
@SamGamerOfficial
@Roadhouse
@Zaack
@Heaxxy

Last edited:

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
So... not really sure what to expect from Alfa Romeo tomorrow, but hopefully double points of some kind.

And @robin8f, this is the race thread. There'll be one for each race to discuss whatever and have banter... though this week has been kinda quiet.

Hasnain

F1 Triple Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
My TT time was way off the standard on this track so not expecting much, just hoping for a clean run

Walsh89-

GP2 1st Driver
Jan 14, 2014
Qualifying: 7th

Not happy with my lap in the end, tried to do two laps on the mediums and got a big snap of oversteer on the exit of turn 6 on my first lap which put everything on the second lap. Turned in too early a couple of times on the lap causing me to use too much kerb through turn 7 and also turn 11. Probably lost a quarter of a second and should of been a late 31 which proved costly with that being the gap from 2nd to 7th.

Race: 2nd

Ok start but then a William's was sideways in turn 1 so had to brake as I wasn't sure if he was going to hold it. Lost the position to @TheTubbyNinja into turn 2 but was able to make the pass back up to 7th place into the hairpin.

Followed the DRS train with Hamres in front of me for the opening laps waiting for the rain to come. I took it easy on the tyres just in case the rain held off and I had to stretch the mediums but at the start of lap 6 the rain started to fall. Everyone ahead started to struggle on lap 7 and I was very close to pitting at the end of lap 7 due to not wanting to stack behind my teammate. In hindsight pitting then would have gained me a lot of time but also would of put an extra lap on the tyres which could have been crucial.

Came into the pits and had to avoid Maxou who had spun on the entry. Didn't lose too much time stacking behind @AERO_Cobra and came out in P6 still behind Hamres. Immediately felt comfortable on the inters and closed up behind him but I spent ages looking for a way past. It was so hard to get on the throttle early enough to be close on the main straight.

On lap 15 @Hamres22 went deep into turn 6 which put me right on him through the middle sector and I was able to follow through the long right hander and got the run on him. He covered the inside aggressively but I just managed to squeeze up the inside and then out braked him into the hairpin. Was then able to pull away comfortably over the next few laps and started to close down kerkinator in front.

Robin and kerkinator pitted on lap 18 and 19 respectively for fresh inters which put me up to P3 and then it was a tricky call whether to pit or go to the end. I decided to risk it as I worked out that the tyres were wearing at 3.5-4% a lap and the rear left would be the only tyre to hit 80% on the last lap so it was worth staying out.

I was closing down Cobra and NinjaSnake ahead but wasn't enough to catch them and I was trying not to take too much out of the tyres so didn't go all out to catch them. I got the gap down to about 3 seconds and then lap 26 @SolidNinjaSnake was slow out of turn 4 allowing Cobra through into the lead and then he went wide into turn 6. He had a puncture so I went around the outside of turn 7 and then the inside of turn 8 to go up to 2nd with two laps to go. He left a lot of room for me with his car likely steering like a boat so thanks for that.

Rear left was at 72% with two laps to go and I had a big gap back to Hamres of around 10.5 seconds so backed everything down with no ers and lean engine and cruised the last two laps. I was only 1.5 seconds behind Cobra and could of attacked him but if we battled we both may not have made it so just followed him home for the 1-2 in what felt like the slowest final lap ever.

Happy with the result, strategy paid off and my race pace seemed very good compared to the cars in front throughout the race, especially on the inters. Need to sort out qualifying though as it was nowhere near where it should have been.

Congrats to @AERO_Cobra on the win and also to @robin8f on 3rd and a crazy fast pole time as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: robin8f

AERO_Cobra

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
Qualifying: 2nd

After wasting time on the hard tyres it was time to bolt on the mediums and safe to say it went badly. Lap was all over the place but a 31.9 was still enough for 2nd. I was never gonna get pole with @robin8f doing a 31.5.

Race: 1st

Had a decent start and settled for 2nd going through the first couple of corners. I expected Robin to take off but surprisingly I kept up and after a couple of laps even managed to overtake him. After that he was squabbling with Maxou and someone else and got around a 3 second lead. When the rain came they started reeling may back in but because they kept fighting for position I managed to stay ahead.

Came in for inters on lap 8 and was till ahead by around 3 seconds. Kept it like that for some time but noticed I just didn't have the pace in the wet. @SolidNinjaSnake came closer and closer, he managed to get by at one point but I'd re-overtake him at the hairpin. Meanwhile @Walsh89- carved his way through the field after starting 7th and was quicker than us both. On lap 25 (?) I couldn't hold SolidNinjaSnake behind me and I let him go. The lap after he got a puncture and took the lead again. Some guys pitted for fresh inters and with a Renault 1-2 at that point (and a massive lead) we decided to stay in position and take maximum points after basically doing the last 2 laps at a pace even my Peugeot 206 could keep up with.

Very happy to take my first win after an absence of 7 years in the league I started in all those years ago. Unexpected as well as I hadn't done any wet running on this game and I was on the safe side all race. Determined to get to the end lol.

Well done to @Walsh89- for completing the Renault 1-2 and @robin8f on the podium. Tough luck to a lot of guys and @SolidNinjaSnake in particular, you had a good race up to that point and was enjoying our battle. See you all for Baku where I'll be happy to keep it out of the wall :D

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Not the result I could've earned if I had bigger balls, but it's still points.

Good bit of battling at the start, mostly with @Hasnain... then a clusterf*ck of a team order... then some mad moments at the weather change-over... then a couple more battles through the rest of the race with @Hamres22 and @TheTubbyNinja

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
By this race I had finished up the long grind of the DLC trophies I was after on Uncharted 3 and thought I'd be able to practice more. Nope! I got the release date wrong and Wreckfest ended up arriving unexpectedly! So I'm glad I didn't take anyone out in this race due to that! Haha. =P

Qualifying - P5
Before I could even do anything on track, while coming out of the pits my monitor decided to go blank! So I crapped myself a bit and quickly paused the game before the picture came back after about 10 seconds or something haha. After that drama, I carried on my way and set a banker lap on the Soft tyre.

Went back out on the Hard tyre to do two runs with a recharge lap in between. Neither of them were great, especially the first, but that wouldn't matter in the end. Went back out for my final flying lap on the Medium tyre and set a 1:32.075 to claim P5. Another good qualifying, but I was pretty happy when I first set it as at the time I was 3rd and only about a tenth off provisional pole! Then @robin8f came along and ruined it by then grabbing pole and making me 5 tenths off haha. =P

Race - P6
Noticed during the week before the race the pattern of how I'd previously finished P6 and P4... So joked about grabbing P2 for this race haha.

Had a good start off the line and found myself in between @maxou13-12 on the left and @Hamres22 on the right. After last weeks T1, I was hesitant to turn in just in case Hamres decided to stay alongside. Thankfully he ended up backing out, but I ended up accidentally tapping the rear of Maxou and had an almighty drift which I was able to not only regain control of the car, but also somehow manage to not get hit by any other car behind! So thank you everyone for not hitting me haha. After the short drama, I settled in to P5. It took a few laps but on Lap 5 at the hairpin, I was finally able to get past @kerkinator1996 to reclaim P4.

The rain quickly arrived which made it a struggle for the cars ahead as I was quickly on the back of the battling @maxou13-12 and @robin8f. I initially overtook them both down the long straight on Lap 7, but outbraked myself at the hairpin. Robin went back through as Maxou and I were side by side, even through the final corner with both of us going off track before Maxou got me down the start finish straight. Next time around though it was Maxou's turn to go off track at the hairpin, while Robin got wheelspin on the exit which allowed me to get alongside Robin as we both dove into the pits. As I went to brake, I hit a bump which caused me to lock up a bit but I was able to stop the car and make the pass heading into the pits! At the time I couldn't remember who I had just passed so I was a little bit worried when I saw that Maxou had been DSQ, thinking I may have been the cause for it. Thankfully I wasn't though so that was a relief. It was really unfortunate that the game DSQ them so quickly though.

After that bit of drama, I found myself leaving the pits in P2! Just 3 seconds off from @AERO_Cobra. Eventually I started to slowly gain on Cobra, while @Robin was constantly around a second behind me and keeping the pressure on until Lap 18 when they pitted for fresh Inters. I thought about pitting but decided I wanted track position as I was in a good position to get a podium. At this point I was now on the back of Cobra and actually managed to pass going through the long T13 before getting me back at the hairpin. I kept the pressure on and eventually was able to attack again on Lap 24 at the hairpin by doing the switchback and took the lead!

I was checking my tyres nearly every lap by this point and saw on the next lap that they were on 75% on the long straight. I was hoping they'd hold on just a few more laps but as T1 arrived, the front left went... Pitted for new Inters and left the pits now in P8... It's too bad the race didn't start wet, otherwise I could have at least tried for the Fastest Lap point! Haha.
It looked like I was going to finish in P8 but fortunately for me, @Bankai_Bullett lost control of their car at the final corner on the final lap! Allowing me to very quickly sneak by to grab the place before the line. After penalties as well, I found myself finishing in P6. So I wasn't too distraught since it matched my other lowest finish so far this season.

Conclusion
A brilliant race which very nearly ended at the start, but a disappointing ending to get the puncture to cost me not only a podium, but what was looking like to be the race win. Not that I was surprised it happened of course as I could see it coming, but a bit annoying that some of you had yours in the 80s and managed to finish intact but ah well haha... Going back to my joke about the pattern, maybe the game saw I was about to break it and gave me the puncture haha but I digress. After the last race I know/hope I can get a podium, but after this race... I hope I'll be able to get into a position for a race win again. Not sure I'll be able to do it in the dry, but maybe in the wet again? We'll have to wait and see!

Anyway a great battle with those at the front and also a congrats to @AERO_Cobra for being the first to actually get the Fastest Lap Point finally! I was starting to think no one would get it this season haha.

Also on a side note, after the T1 I had I actually looked back at previous seasons as I felt I always end up with a dodgy T1 here which I think turned out to be mainly true. One of which I saw in my video back from Season 15 which was near copy of what happened here! Haha.

Hasnain

F1 Triple Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
Just getting my highlights up on here.
Pace wasn't great but managed to survive on inters and somehow get P4 in the end

Reactions: robin8f