Apr 4, 2015
Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 18

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 29th September 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Laps: 35

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-show:

Hasnain

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
F1 Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
It seems I'm even more off the pace than normal around here :/

silver-sponge

Semi-Pro Karter
Jul 28, 2019
Sorry last minute, but maybe i can't drive with you tonight. So no surprise if you see me offline.

Walsh89-

F1 Test Driver
Jan 14, 2014
Qualifying: 5th

Strange qualifying this one, the times were way slower than I expected and somehow got P5 with a 1:08.7 which was around half a second off what I was doing just before the race.

Race: 6th

First stint went ok, not a lot happened I just followed the cars in front. @TheTubbyNinja pitted quite early so was up to 4th and closing up on Sam. Pitted on the same lap as him I think but noticed he went on hard tyres so was immediately right on him trying to find a way past.

Had a move lined up towards the end of lap 10 but the VSC came out which meant I had to stay behind. During the VSC Sam braked suddenly in turn 2 and I had nowhere to go, hit the back of his car and got yellow front wing damage which was very frustrating. That pretty much ruined the rest of my race as with the loss of front downforce I just couldn't get past him despite still being quite a bit faster even with the damage.

@SolidNinjaSnake was also right behind me waiting for something to happen with me and Sam. Eventually I got a poor run out of the second chicane in the middle sector and NinjaSnake got a run into the hairpin, I just let him take the position as there was no way I could fight him. Followed him and Sam until the next round of pit stops.

Went for an undercut on the cars in front on lap 20 pitting the same lap as my teammate but there was a big enough gap to make it work. Didn't manage to get ahead of NinjaSnake when he responded next lap. Just followed him but couldn't really close due to still having the wing damage that hadn't been fixed in the pit stop. The rain started to fall with about 5 laps to go and I knew it was going to be worth a gamble on the inters as i was running P5 and unable to catch the two cars just ahead.

As the rain got worse TubbyNinja started to struggle more and I was closing on him and NinjaSnake passed him for 3rd. DRS was disabled coming into the hairpin just before the penultimate lap and I decided to go for the inters for two laps due to the very short pit lane time loss in Canada and knowing the inters are usually worth around 10-12 seconds a lap.

Unfortunately I clipped TubbyNinja slightlyas he braked into the final chicane as i was entering pits. That meant I had to get a new wing which wasn't worth it. My stationary time was about 8.5 seconds and I got held for Roadhouses William's so probably lost about 7-8 seconds compared with a normal stop.

Through S2 on the penultimate lap I was 12.5 seconds behind Hasnain and thought it might be a tough ask due to the longer pitstop but I noticed on the exit of turn 4 on the last lap I could see the Red Bull struggling through turn 5. I was on his tail coming into the second chicane and he just had no grip and slid wide allowing me to overtake. Hamres was next into the hairpin and I just switched back on him and used the extra traction to drive past him. Then got past TubbyNinja on the exit of the final chicane which meant I finished 4th on the track.

Annoyingly got my first time penalties of the season which dropped me behind TubbyNinja and also Roadhouse so P6 in the end.

Tough race with wing damage for over 20 laps and I feel without that it would have been a comfortable P3 behind Cobra and Robin but that's how it goes sometimes I guess. It was a fun last lap catching and passing the cars ahead with the crazy grip advantage and maybe without the wing change it could have been P4 even with the time penalties, it would of been close anyway.

Congrats @robin8f on the win and also to @AERO_Cobra on another 2nd place. Also congrats @SolidNinjaSnake on the final podium spot.

Not sure how Paul Ricard will go but need to improve after a couple of bad races for me. I'm clinging on to an undeserved championship lead.

AERO_Cobra

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
Qualifying: 3rd

Not sure how that was still 3rd. I came close to a complete stop at the final chicane just to make sure it wasn't invalidated. Miles off what I could do but I guess it was the same for the majority. Was happy I got away with 3rd to be honest.

Race: 2nd

Got off the line well and slotted in behind @robin8f and @SamGamerOfficial. Got the run on Sam coming onto the little straight in sector 2 on the first lap but he defended well and with me being on the outside I had to back off. Bid my time behind Sam for a couple laps until he got a bad exit out of the hairpin on lap 5 and I got past him into the braking zone for the final chicane. I was gonna say I was now gonna set sail after Robin but unfortunately I just didn't have the pace and I was determined to not get penalties so took it relatively easy all race. Made my first out of 2 pitstops on lap 6 and emerged in 13th just in front of @kerkinator1996. Bit of traffic ahead meant I had to make moves and make them quick in order to make the undercut work. Got past @rich500 on lap 6 on the DRS straight and got past @Hasnain on the main straight the lap after.

After the first round of pitstops I found myself in 3rd behind Robin and also behind Sam who had opted for the hard tyre. The second stint was the loneliest part of the race and nothing really happened. Pitted on lap 20 and when Robin made his second stop for mediums I couldn't believe my luck as I was now ahead. Turned out he had damage and had to pit for a new front wing. It wouldn't be long before he was all over the back of me and I wasn't gonna fight him too much as I knew he was way quicker. He overtook me on lap 23 but overshot the chicane and I got the run on him coming onto the start/finish straight. We were side by side entering lap 24 with me on the inside and he had to yield. On the same lap on the DRS straight he overtook me again and this time he made it stick although he did brake very early in order to not make the same mistake again and we were basically side by side through the final chicane. It was like we were saying to each other: 'no no after you'. Pretty funny watching it back, it was good clean racing nonetheless.

The two of us went after Sam and we quickly caught him. Robin got past easily at the hairpin, not sure why Sam didn't defend much as he was extremely agressive to me later on. I got the run on Sam on lap 26 on the main straight as Robin quickly disappeared. We were side by side approaching turn 1 with me once again on the outside so had to be patient. I was gonna tuck back in but Sam almost shoved me wide while also barely making the corner. I got the switchback at turn 2 and thought that was it. Unfortunately I missed the apex for turn 3 and this meant Sam got the run on me approaching turn 6. Even though he was behind and I left some room on the inside incase of a divebomb he still managed to crash into me and I found myself behind him again. I have no idea why he thought that was necessary, he just got overtaken by a faster car on quicker tyres and you can't overtake there unless you got some part of your car alongside. Seeing his footage he was even further back on his own screen so that makes you wonder even more. Anyway that cost me valuable time and ultimately the race win as I knew Robin had 12 seconds worth of penalties and I had none up to that point.

Sam got damage punting me off I think as he pitted on lap 26. Some unnecessary weaving from him on the DRS straight as well, don't know what that was all about. I knew he did that to others as well. Inherited 2nd and that would be my finishing position as Robin was too far away now. The rain at the end didn't matter too much either, although I did contemplate pitting on lap 33 for inters.

All in all happy with 2nd but in hindsight it should have been a race win just like in Monaco. Still some way off Robin pacewise and I hope to improve throughout the season to give you a proper run for your money. Congrats to you and also congrats to @SolidNinjaSnake for the final podium spot. Bad luck @Walsh89- as I knew you had the pace to fight for the podium spots. Onto France now, homerace for the team lol, better not let Cyril know I fucking hate the track with every fibre in my body.

SamGamerOfficial

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 6, 2019
Qualifying: 3rd

Not sure how that was still 3rd. I came close to a complete stop at the final chicane just to make sure it wasn't invalidated. Miles off what I could do but I guess it was the same for the majority. Was happy I got away with 3rd to be honest.

Race: 2nd

Got off the line well and slotted in behind @robin8f and @SamGamerOfficial. Got the run on Sam coming onto the little straight in sector 2 on the first lap but he defended well and with me being on the outside I had to back off. Bid my time behind Sam for a couple laps until he got a bad exit out of the hairpin on lap 5 and I got past him into the braking zone for the final chicane. I was gonna say I was now gonna set sail after Robin but unfortunately I just didn't have the pace and I was determined to not get penalties so took it relatively easy all race. Made my first out of 2 pitstops on lap 6 and emerged in 13th just in front of @kerkinator1996. Bit of traffic ahead meant I had to make moves and make them quick in order to make the undercut work. Got past @rich500 on lap 6 on the DRS straight and got past @Hasnain on the main straight the lap after.

After the first round of pitstops I found myself in 3rd behind Robin and also behind Sam who had opted for the hard tyre. The second stint was the loneliest part of the race and nothing really happened. Pitted on lap 20 and when Robin made his second stop for mediums I couldn't believe my luck as I was now ahead. Turned out he had damage and had to pit for a new front wing. It wouldn't be long before he was all over the back of me and I wasn't gonna fight him too much as I knew he was way quicker. He overtook me on lap 23 but overshot the chicane and I got the run on him coming onto the start/finish straight. We were side by side entering lap 24 with me on the inside and he had to yield. On the same lap on the DRS straight he overtook me again and this time he made it stick although he did brake very early in order to not make the same mistake again and we were basically side by side through the final chicane. It was like we were saying to each other: 'no no after you'. Pretty funny watching it back, it was good clean racing nonetheless.

The two of us went after Sam and we quickly caught him. Robin got past easily at the hairpin, not sure why Sam didn't defend much as he was extremely agressive to me later on. I got the run on Sam on lap 26 on the main straight as Robin quickly disappeared. We were side by side approaching turn 1 with me once again on the outside so had to be patient. I was gonna tuck back in but Sam almost shoved me wide while also barely making the corner. I got the switchback at turn 2 and thought that was it. Unfortunately I missed the apex for turn 3 and this meant Sam got the run on me approaching turn 6. Even though he was behind and I left some room on the inside incase of a divebomb he still managed to crash into me and I found myself behind him again. I have no idea why he thought that was necessary, he just got overtaken by a faster car on quicker tyres and you can't overtake there unless you got some part of your car alongside. Seeing his footage he was even further back on his own screen so that makes you wonder even more. Anyway that cost me valuable time and ultimately the race win as I knew Robin had 12 seconds worth of penalties and I had none up to that point.

Sam got damage punting me off I think as he pitted on lap 26. Some unnecessary weaving from him on the DRS straight as well, don't know what that was all about. I knew he did that to others as well. Inherited 2nd and that would be my finishing position as Robin was too far away now. The rain at the end didn't matter too much either, although I did contemplate pitting on lap 33 for inters.

All in all happy with 2nd but in hindsight it should have been a race win just like in Monaco. Still some way off Robin pacewise and I hope to improve throughout the season to give you a proper run for your money. Congrats to you and also congrats to @SolidNinjaSnake for the final podium spot. Bad luck @Walsh89- as I knew you had the pace to fight for the podium spots. Onto France now, homerace for the team lol, better not let Cyril know I fucking hate the track with every fibre in my body.

I tried to hold up both of u so when I pit for soft I could try to catch. Didnt matter, cause I got damage and rain came up at the worst time of the race. And Hard tyres are the worst tyres to be on, wont use them anymore for sure...

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
Qualifying - P9
Messed up qualifying from the start. I went out on Hard tyres and invalidated the lap before it even began by messing up the final chicane. I went around again to finally put in a lap before switching to the Softs. I set a lap and then went out again for my final run but unfortunately, I invalidated my final lap at T9. I hardly improved by the end of the lap anyway after a bad final chicane. So in the end, my time from the penultimate lap was a 1:09.146 to claim P9.

So yeah, qualifying was just a mess. Due to the early invalidation, I ended up sitting in the pits for a bit now and then questioning what to do as I was out of sync. By the sounds of it, a lot of us weren't near our PB as we were all trying to be cautious and not invalidate our laps.

Race - P3
I was actually torn about what strategy to do beforehand, but due to my bad qualifying, opted to go for the two stop. Had I known so many were going to do it, I'd perhaps have kept to the one stop! Haha.
I had a brilliant start and got alongside @QVR_Maladictis but ultimately had to back out since the run to T1 is so short. QVR went on the grass slightly at T4 and I'm not sure if @maxou13-12 hit the back of him but I just managed to avoid Maxou. @Hamres22 then had a go on me but I was able to hold onto the position. Not a lot happened after this for a few laps. I tried to pass Maxou here and there but didn't manage it. Then on Lap 6 QVR lost the rear and hit the wall at T7, allowing me up a position. I then pitted on the next lap for my first stop.

@SamGamerOfficial and @Walsh89- had also pitted so I came out behind them and this was where I spent the majority of my race fighting. There was an incident between Sam and @rich500 at T1 on Lap 10, which sent Rich across the track and cutting straight across back into our paths. Thankfully he ghosted though so no further incidents happened. On a side note, as their incident happened, I almost tangled with Walsh but I just avoided him. VSC came out later this lap and at T2 Walsh hit the back of Sam. I wasn't sure if Walsh had damage but either way, I still couldn't find my way past. @Zaack soon joined the back of us and on Lap 12, I guess missed their braking point as at T8 hit the back of me which almost sent me into Walsh. I assume Zack got damage as they pitted at the end of the lap.

I think more contact may have ensued between @SamGamerOfficial and @Walsh89- at T7 on Lap 14 after Sam hit the wall, which let me get a good run on Walsh and finally I thought I was going to get the position! But it wasn't to be as they broke later and kept the position. A bit frustrating as I think they both had damage at this point now and I still couldn't find a way past! The second VSC came out on Lap 16 which I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to make this post super long, but if you want to read more about it affecting my race, see here. Long story short though, Sam ended up backing us up and I lost about 5 or so seconds under the VSC. I then finally passed Walsh on Lap 18 after T9 after they didn't have a good line through the chicane and made slight contact with the wall I think on the exit. So I was finally in P5 at this point and now chasing down Sam who I finally got to the back of on Lap 21. I didn't have a chance to try an overtake as I was pitting that lap. As I pitted, I hit the pit lane at the exact limit but the game decided to give me a 5 second penalty!

I came out the pits behind @TheTubbyNinja who was 2.5 seconds ahead... So without that loss of time under the VSC, I should have come out ahead. So I went and tried chasing him down and eventually got the gap down to 1.5 seconds when the rain started to hit on Lap 29... I then closed the gap more and more as Ninja seemed to struggle with the changing conditions and passed him on Lap 31 at T8 after he had a snap on the exit of T7. So I was now into P3! @AERO_Cobra was next but 9.3 seconds down the road. I wanted that podium I was missing so I opted to keep track position and try to get to the end. As the rain kept falling, I kept gaining on Cobra. I managed to keep the car on the track minus a brief moment where I visited the grass at T1 on Lap 34 haha. In the end, I got the gap down to 5.7 seconds as I saw the chequered flag and FINALLY got my first podium of the season! :D

Conclusion
A bad qualifying ended with a brilliant race! I was actually ecstatic after the race and finally grabbing that first podium I had missed out on! Haha. Whether I could have gotten P2 without the wrongly given pitlane penalty or the VSC incident I don't know, but I was sure happy to get that P3!

Reactions: robin8f and Zaack