Apr 4, 2015
Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 18

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 13th October 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Red Bull Ring
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
I thought it was just the Messages app playing up but seems to be on the PS4 itself too as it failed to send on there too. I've just been online and had no issues though.

Hasnain

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
F1 Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
How many we expecting?

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
We're starting at 8:10 regardless of whether or not a driver is in the lobby yet.

I know 3 of you are online... move your asses.

silver-sponge

Semi-Pro Karter
Jul 28, 2019
Q: P16, just O-S lap, busy after.
R: DNF, very disappointing, good start, I gain places with overtakes and errors. But in the lap 7, a divebomb by a Haas in a mouse hole ruin my race. Sorry for the Williams. Frustrating, after 3 weeks without driving and first race in F5...
Hope better luck in Silverstone.

Highlights:

Reactions: robin8f

Hasnain

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
F1 Coordinator
Jan 1, 2017
Quali wasn't the greatest but managed to avoid the chaos at the start and was basically following Kaspar for most of the race. I went off on the penultimate lap which cost me P5 in the end but ah well.

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
Qualifying - P9
I purposely held a set of Softs back as a backup in case I wanted to switch to a two stop in the race. So I only did three laps in qualifying. Not much to say about any of them. All of them were set on the Soft tyre, hardly improved on my second lap. Then on my final flying lap, there were yellow flags at the last two corners. Just as I was about to come to the penultimate corner, I saw something fly up into the air. I thought it was debris. Turned out to be birds. :LOL:
Lost a bit of time but it's not like it was a huge distraction, but something amusing that happened haha. In the end, I improved by nearly four tenths to set a 1:04.490, but only good enough to claim P9.

After seeing where I was after my second lap, in a way I was kinda hoping I'd be outside the top 10 to try something different. What that would have been I have no idea though haha. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad as even though I was 9th, it was only under 3 tenths the difference. It was cool to see the top 5 covered by a tenth too! So nice job. =)

Race - P8
Got one of my usual good starts which was like Bottas' earlier that same day on Vettel at the Japanese Grand Prix, as I went around the outside of @QVR_Maladictis. I then knew we were three wide heading to T1 with @Zaack on the inside, so I knew if I felt contact that I could open the steering and take to the run off area. I felt slight contact, opened the steering and then all of a sudden, @Walsh89- was coming across my front! I had no idea how he ended up a part of it but I had nowhere to go and hit the side of him and damaged my wing. I almost lost the car rejoining the track too haha. I questioned the possibility of staying out for a bit but when I got to the middle sector, it was awful. So I pitted that lap for a new wing and the Medium tyres and left in P17...

So I now had a huge challenge on my hands, but I thought I guess it was a good job I saved that set of Soft tyres! Spoilers: I didn't use them still haha.
As you'd imagine, not a lot was happening considering I was now 20 seconds behind the driver in front haha... I was gaining on them but very slowly. The first interesting thing was @silver-sponge's retired car in the middle of the track at T3 on Lap 7. Didn't take the risk of driving through them in case it didn't ghost, so avoided it. I gained two more positions after some pitted on Lap 7 and 8. @QVR_Maladictis left the pits ahead of me on the latter lap but gave me a spectacular front row seat on Lap 10 when they crashed out at T5.

@Bankai_Bullett pitted for Hards on Lap 10 who I spent the majority of the race chasing down. I overtook three more in the pits over the course of 12 laps as my quest to chase down Bankai continued. I think they made a mistake on Lap 18 though at T4 as the gap closed down quickly by nearly two seconds but I was frustratingly just not close enough for DRS. I was told to pit on Lap 22 for my saved set of Soft tyres, but I knew there was expected rain for the end of the race. So I risked staying out in the hope it would arrive soon, where I swear I was constantly told by my engineer that it was 5 minutes away haha.

Lap 26 and @Zaack had caught me up who I didn't fight too hard. I did briefly get back ahead at T4 after they almost lost the rear, but I went too deep into T5 and they retook the position, dropping me down to P11. Then FINALLY, the rain arrived on Lap 28! Again like Canada, the more wet it got, the more the cars ahead seemed to struggle and I was able to gain on them. Had a lucky moment on Lap 31 when Zack all of a sudden pitted as I too had drifted out wide, so I avoided him when he decided to suddenly cut back to pit. I then got the call to pit for Inters on Lap 32 which was perfect timing as my tyres at this stage were on 75%! I followed @Hamres22 into the pits who thankfully I assumed was going to pit this lap anyway after they only used half of the pit entry line. I actually tried to cautiously enter the pits so I didn't run into the back of him but hilariously and annoyingly, I still managed to pick up a penalty haha! I was over the speed limit by 1mph and got a 5 second penalty! So I assume Hamres must have got one too? Haha.

I actually ended up leaving the pits ahead though and found myself in P10! Exiting just ahead of @Zaack. I gained another two places after some pitted and I now found myself behind @TheTubbyNinja by 2.5 seconds who I closed down but unfortunately, there weren't enough laps and I finished behind him by 3 tenths to claim P8. Then I found out annoyingly that if I didn't get my pitlane penalty, I'd have jumped to P5!

Conclusion
To think I wasn't expecting much in Canada or France and ended up having two overall good results. Then the one I was looking forward to with Austria, turned out to be bad haha. Qualifying felt like a disappointment and the race was over at T1. Thanks to the rain I almost got back in it! So disappointed that I picked up that penalty though! I think potentially I could have finished 3rd without the incident but ah well... Onto Britain where I can't say I'm expecting too much there.

Walsh89-

F1 Test Driver
Jan 14, 2014
Qualifying: 6th

Decent first couple of runs and was provisional pole but couldn't improve on my last two attempts which meant I dropped down to 6th in the end. It was so close as expected and was just lacking a tenth or two.

Race: 10th

Got an ok start and was on the inside for turn 1. Stayed tight to the apex and took a lot of kerb but was hit on my left rear which half spun me which made me a passenger and I just ended up in the run off. I think looking at a POV from behind that it was four wide with me being on the very inside and I was the one that got tagged. Very frustrating but it can happen I guess and Austria turn 1 is a tough one, especially when it's four wide.

I was in last trying to make up some time but I was pretty annoyed so was making little mistakes all over the place. I made up a few places over the next few laps but my frustration got the better of me around lap 8. Got on the exit kerb of the final corner and gave it too much throttle which sent me flying into the pit wall. I had to limp around for a whole lap with no front wing and from there it seemed like race over.

I put the mediums on and just planned to run them until the rain came that was forecast towards the end of the race. I didn't really see anyone for ages expect for a few other cars that pit who were also having a tough race.

The rain started falling and I was sort of in contention with a few cars by that point, just a few seconds off a group ahead. I came in for inters at the right time but so did the group ahead. I was running in 11th with Hamres behind.

I didn't have the pace to catch the group ahead and just brought it to the finish and to my surprise picked up the last point after Zack had more penalties than me.

Disappointing race and a case of what might have been if I had got through turn 1 cleanly but the mistake in the last corner was all on me and that ended any chance of a decent result.