PC - AOR Special Event - PC 2.4 hours of Daytona - 15/02-2020 @ 7:30 PM UK time | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR Special Event - PC 2.4 hours of Daytona - 15/02-2020 @ 7:30 PM UK time

• All leagues are cancelled until Xmas Day - check out the Announcements section for more details.

JackGame88

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Apr 15, 2019
First of all thanks everyone for the race, my first endurance as well as my first race ever in LMP2. Absolutely loved it and I feel I was a moral winner of the race. After just 2 or 3 laps I was first while starting from the 3rd. At the point P2 was about to go to pits I had over 8s advantage. When I pitted, my crew decided not to show up, so I thought maybe I've pressed my pitting button too late, so I basically did a drive through penalty. Fortunately I had just about enough fuel to do one more lap, but the same thing happened again!. Went through all the boxes, no pit crew anywhere (nor stop sign), so I started slowly reversing, and towards one of the first boxes (so basically I reversed through the whole pit lane) I was automatically picked up and my car was being fueled (still no crew, lollipop, nor stop sign). When I was exiting the pits, I had about 70s to the first place. Later on, second and third stops - same issue! Does anyone know how to fix it? Never had any issue like that and I did two GT3 seasons so I thought I knew how to pit in PC2.

In the end I finished on P4, about 20s behind P1, meaning I recovered 50 seconds throughout the race so as I said - I feel I won this race :cool:

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
When I pitted, my crew decided not to show up, so I thought maybe I've pressed my pitting button too late, so I basically did a drive through penalty. Fortunately I had just about enough fuel to do one more lap, but the same thing happened again!. Went through all the boxes, no pit crew anywhere (nor stop sign), so I started slowly reversing, and towards one of the first boxes (so basically I reversed through the whole pit lane) I was automatically picked up and my car was being fueled (still no crew, lollipop, nor stop sign). When I was exiting the pits, I had about 70s to the first place. Later on, second and third stops - same issue! Does anyone know how to fix it? Never had any issue like that and I did two GT3 seasons so I thought I knew how to pit in PC2.
I've never experienced this myself but have heard instances of it from others. Unfortunately I don't think it can be fixed per se. It's just a bug that happens very rarely :(

(HCR) GhostOut92

AOR PC 2.4h of Daytona GTE Champion 2020
Feb 11, 2020
As I said on discord, thanks for organising the race despite the technical issues (and thanks for having me in spite of my poor upload speed).
I'm both sad and happy about the result : happy because I won in gte and sad because Allen disconnected less than 10 min from the end. I feel so sorry for him.
On that subject, have you ever thought of having a dedicated server for these races ? We do have one for our races and honestly it's much more stable.
Anyway, see you next time !

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
As I said on discord, thanks for organising the race despite the technical issues (and thanks for having me in spite of my poor upload speed).
I'm both sad and happy about the result : happy because I won in gte and sad because Allen disconnected less than 10 min from the end. I feel so sorry for him.
On that subject, have you ever thought of having a dedicated server for these races ? We do have one for our races and honestly it's much more stable.
Anyway, see you next time !
We only have bad experiences with dedicated servers tbh. We encountered a bug where the lobby would suddenly split into two lobbies instead which never happened on P2P so we ditched it.

Tbh, out of those 9 that had dropped I only think a couple actually disconnected. The rest left by their own accord.

ATOMiK029

Pro Karter
Jan 30, 2020
Hey guys, as I mentioned on the Discord chat, I just wanted to say that it was an absolutely awesome race and thanks to all that have organised it!

I've always wanted to do a proper multi-class endurance race with prototypes and GTE's, so jumped at this opportunity and it certainly did not disappoint.

Everyone raced so well and cleanly too. Couple of GTE's that didn't stick to the inside of the banking, but that didn't take away from the overall experience at all and was just a minor issue.

A great battle towards the end with @EikeSky which certainly had me worried! If only they fixed the stupid track limit penalties in the game :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the next event! :)

Reactions: EikeSky

PhantomHamster

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jun 23, 2016
Massive thanks to @TicklishPicklewickle for organising such a great event! Good clean racing and some great battles particularly with @Asturbo and @Mearcat. Given my lack of practice i was a bit worried of being at the back but ended up P3 just a few seconds behind @Mearcat, wh i seemed to be battling with the entire race! So much fun and cant wait for the next one!

Reactions: Mearcat and Asturbo

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
What can I say about last nights race...

Well, the racing with everyone was fun and clean, the fluster cuck of the first formation lap aside.

However the actual game itself was a completely different story, and left a sour taste in my mouth. The constant screen freezes felt like I was back on my old gaming PC running my 1050ti, instead of current system and it’s actually made me reconsider entering any PC2 league period.

I know it was a bad experience but I don’t know, maybe I’m still annoyed (or other more colourful words could be used) but last night playing PC 2 ( I would like to reaffirm my issues are with the game, not the drivers!) felt like you where being interrogated with a chainsaw by doctor jekel and Mr Hyde.

mpc-v1

AOR PS4 LMP2 TEC Champion
Oct 20, 2015
I am of a complete opposite opinion. From my POV the racing was clean overall, LMP2s were very polite and didn't make stupid moves and overall I'd say it was a success.
If what you're referring to is the game not working like it's supposed to then I agree. But in terms of the racing it was really good imo
Wouldn't know about the racing. Was put on my roof in turn 1!!

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Must have spent about 4 hours practicing with different cars / setups, and get a DQ before the start line...

michout21

Junior Karter
Feb 11, 2020
thank you to the organization and to all the pilots I had a great evening and a great race even if there was some racing for my part but it's the race I look forward to the next one thank you and good Sunday

EikeSky

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
Hey guys, as I mentioned on the Discord chat, I just wanted to say that it was an absolutely awesome race and thanks to all that have organised it!

I've always wanted to do a proper multi-class endurance race with prototypes and GTE's, so jumped at this opportunity and it certainly did not disappoint.

Everyone raced so well and cleanly too. Couple of GTE's that didn't stick to the inside of the banking, but that didn't take away from the overall experience at all and was just a minor issue.

A great battle towards the end with @EikeSky which certainly had me worried! If only they fixed the stupid track limit penalties in the game :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the next event! :)
100%. Any tiny change to any aspect of that race would've completely changed the outcome. That's how it should be. Utterly brilliant race from start to finish, The racing was fantastic. Other than a couple of miscommunications with lappery, but that's absolutely expected in such a long race.
I'll have to think carefully about what I drive next time out. I don't want to drive the Ligier, but the P20 is too heavily turbocharged. The GTE I would drive is the Ford, but they were overly popular too. Hard thonk needed.
Wouldn't know about the racing. Was put on my roof in turn 1!!
With the tech troubles we had, you could've reset the car and carried on without issue :( Unfortunate, that was about the only big incident of the race. The only other problem spot was the bus stop. The first hour, there was at least one car off there every lap, so it seemed.
Must have spent about 4 hours practicing with different cars / setups, and get a DQ before the start line...
Yeah, I think this was the heartbreak of the race. Tied with Allan's retirement. I probably would've accepted another restart, but that's just because it would've been nice to see the RWD driven properly ;)

Overall, disappointed in some silly mistakes from me, a setup error I made months ago finally biting and probably cost me a 3-4th place all things considered. But congrats to all who finished, sincere regret for those who suffered race-ending issues, and thank you to everyone for being measured, mature, and listening (mostly) to the coordinators. A couple of my overtakes were ambitious, which I apologize for, but I hope it wasn't too bad. I'm eager to get more proper endurance races going. Hopefully with Daytona being fairly unique in it's layout, most of the technology issues will resolve themselves.

mpc-v1

AOR PS4 LMP2 TEC Champion
Oct 20, 2015
With the tech troubles we had, you could've reset the car and carried on without issue - would of been fine if I had a button set up for that but as it's not generally allowed then I have never had it.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Think that was because you overtook the car in front before the light went green. I will definitely hold my hand up and say there was some information missing in how I explained the start. I was honestly not 100% sure how it was going to go exactly. I thought we would only get control of the car on green and not several seconds before it. Definitely something we need to remember next time we do the start on this track. It was really unfortunate that it had to end that way for you but I think you can understand why we chose not to do another restart. We already restarted once and was some 50 minutes behind schedule :(

Mearcat

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 9, 2018
P3 just a few seconds behind @Mearcat, wh i seemed to be battling with the entire race! So much fun and cant wait for the next one!
S14 Teammates turned Enemies! MMMUUUUHHAAAAHHAAAA!

Nah, I had the most fun in any race yet and the constant pressure from the other drivers was great. I had to have a second shower afterwards.

P2 is my first ever community podium! Would of been P3 had @AndrexUK not been DQ'd at the start bad luck.

I was and still am quite proud of everyone's communication during that race. Spins, pitting, pit exits, it was super to be flying into turns 3 and 4 and being told "P?? exiting" so I could leave the lane empty for them to rejoin the track.

GT cars though, I don't know why but throwing the car into the grass to make space is unnecessary. As an LMP I was going slow and picking my point of passing carefully, as the rules state, only for the GT car to fly off as if I had hit them made me very nervous.

Congrats to @zeakov for winning, If that lagging graphics hadn't returned causing me to guess where to brake for the last 15 minutes I might of had a chance as I got within 8 seconds before spinning out.

@PhantomHamster and @Asturbo, the passing, the side by side racing, the leap frogging from the pit stops..... Oh that was racing that was so enjoyable and what I joined a racing community for, soooo good.

My utmost apologise to @michout21 for slamming into you at the bus stop. I had completely forgot where I was on track and thought it was the start line banking hense my inside positioning, but it does not excuse the fact that the collision would of ended both our races had damage been on. Not the quality nor professionalism I hold myself to.

I look forward to the next one!

P.S:-
A lot of screen freezing occurred with me at turns 1, 4 and the bus stop.
I know from experience that these are caused by an unknown network coding bug that occurs when someone voluntarily leaves the lobby. It takes a long time for the network to slowly flush out the discrepancy from the missing player/car, hence why towards the end it diminished enough to be playable.

Last edited:

EikeSky

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
Mearcat said:
GT cars though, I don't know why but throwing the car into the grass to make space is unnecessary. As an LMP I was going slow and picking my point of passing carefully, as the rules state, only for the GT car to fly off as if I had hit them made me very nervous.
This entirely. After lapping about 3 gt's, it was really obvious where you needed to brake to avoid a collision and set up a pass on the exit of any given corner, so you became our braking point of reference. Throwing it off-track/off-line only made our jobs harder, and certainly led to a couple of close calls with me.
Don't get me wrong, when you worked out who was going to do it, life was way easier. But we were all told before the race what to do, and having to second guess yourself when you've not got abs to fall back on isn't helpful.

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
I admit I took to the grass a couple of times, mostly because of the screen freezes I was experiencing. My mind set was “jump to the grass and ruin my race” or “stop on the racing line, experience a screen freeze and cause a pileup”.

I rewatched the stream and to be honest, I’ve decided I’m done with PC2 as an online racing game. I did a few races online with other titles and hadn’t experienced what I did on the weekend.

• Sad
Reactions: Mearcat and EikeSky

Mearcat

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 9, 2018
Steve A, I understand. I have 900+ hours invested into PC2 so I can recognise the little quirks of the game. I hate with a passion the Livetrack cycle for tyre grip (Good Grip/less grip/super stick grip/ice road no grip/repeat from Good grip...) which for me occurs every 5-8 laps, different each race. So I know how much encountering these "moments" affects people especially if you have never come across them.

Sad to see you go as you were almost as fast as a LMP in a GTE, Scary. It was so unsettling to continue to here that gargling V8 behind me through the entire infield section whilst the track was bright yellow in front of me from your headlights. :eek:

Just take away that these freezes happen mainly when people quit the lobby which is against the rules for all PC2 events if I remember correctly. Retire to the pits but leave your car in the lobby.
To everyone else in the lobby you don't lag with the screen freezes, it is a local effect but one that is dreadfully distracting and can ruin a race as you can't brake or accelerate properly during the screen twitching as you are having to guess when to do so (hence why I struggled at the start and towards the end). Just watch the replay from my car at the bus stop around lap 37? 3 little twitches shows my screen freeze and the ensuing spin due to having to guess at holding the brakes which ended up being too long.
Network wise you are still running smoothly.

I can always see when people have this issue because they either overshoot their brake point or wiggle the back end on corner exit when before you were damned near running on rails (T4 just after the pit exit lines).

Proper network lag you see as all the other cars rubber banding in front and behind you and everyone near you sees your car rubber band past/behind them.

Good luck in the Sim of your choice and hope that you do try another PC2 event hopefully without issues.

PS:-
see if any of these work as well -

Last edited:

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
Steve A, I understand. I have 900+ hours invested into PC2 so I can recognise the little quirks of the game. I hate with a passion the Livetrack cycle for tyre grip (Good Grip/less grip/super stick grip/ice road no grip/repeat from Good grip...) which for me occurs every 5-8 laps, different each race. So I know how much encountering these "moments" affects people especially if you have never come across them.

Sad to see you go as you were almost as fast as a LMP in a GTE, Scary. It was so unsettling to continue to here that gargling V8 behind me through the entire infield section whilst the track was bright yellow in front of me from your headlights. :eek:

Just take away that these freezes happen mainly when people quit the lobby which is against the rules for all PC2 events if I remember correctly. Retire to the pits but leave your car in the lobby.
To everyone else in the lobby you don't lag with the screen freezes, it is a local effect but one that is dreadfully distracting and can ruin a race as you can't brake or accelerate properly during the screen twitching as you are having to guess when to do so (hence why I struggled at the start and towards the end). Just watch the replay from my car at the bus stop around lap 37? 3 little twitches shows my screen freeze and the ensuing spin due to having to guess at holding the brakes which ended up being too long.
Network wise you are still running smoothly.

I can always see when people have this issue because they either overshoot their brake point or wiggle the back end on corner exit when before you were damned near running on rails (T4 just after the pit exit lines).

Proper network lag you see as all the other cars rubber banding in front and behind you and everyone near you sees your car rubber band past/behind them.

Good luck in the Sim of your choice and hope that you do try another PC2 event hopefully without issues.

PS:-
see if any of these work as well -

Thank you for the link, I'll have a look into it, later on. I've got to prep for the ACC social/league race for earlier this week (And the same for the F1 league evaluation race). I'll be honest when the final stutter which caused me to bin it in the bus stop happened I was beyond **** off, I can only imagine how Andrex felt when he put all those hours in for the race and then got DQ'ed at the second attempt.

Also, I think the pace I was showing was down to racing at Daytona for 24 hours lol, I learned some good lines during that race on iracing and brought it over to the race on Saturday.

I might give PC 2 another attempt down the line (With the hopefully the fixes that the link advises), who knows I might be on later this year, I guess re-watching it when I was still annoyed wasn't the best idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Mearcat