PS4 - AOR SUPER FORMULA LEAGUE SEASON 2 - MAIN DISCUSSION | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 AOR SUPER FORMULA LEAGUE SEASON 2 - MAIN DISCUSSION

BL99DY-NINE

F1 1st Driver
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
does your equipment influences your performance?
I know a lot of the Sim racers have Fanatec CLS with loadcel brake Or high end Thrustmaster. Me personally I use T150 Pro with the T3PA pedal set.
I am a proud member of the Pad 4 Life Union.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
does your equipment influences your performance?
I know a lot of the Sim racers have Fanatec CLS with loadcel brake Or high end Thrustmaster. Me personally I use T150 Pro with the T3PA pedal set.
I am not an alien, but i am also not a noob.
Like Bl99dy - Pad user 4 lyfe.

Reactions: BL99DY-NINE

TubbyPhantom

Formula 3 Test Driver
GT Coordinator
Dec 2, 2018
I'm on g29, used to be on t300rs with standard pedals. Don't feel quicker with the g29 but I have a more consistent feel with the brake pedal which has definitely helped me.

JPElias305

Junior Karter
Oct 14, 2019
Hey Guys any word on next season begin date as i wanted to bring in me and another driver... please advise as i am new to this league and forum and any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hi JP. You know that You can still join for this season right? The more the merrier, they say.
if You joined now, You would have the chance to get familiar with how things are run and get a head start for next season.
mid You have seen some of the streaming’s on Gaming Kin You already know some.
But I can’t answer Your question, of the simple reason that I don’t know at this point and time. It’s definitely going to be in the new year, as the stewards also need a breake. Best guess is probably in the beginning of February and then to run 8 weeks until beginning of April.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Hey Guys any word on next season begin date as i wanted to bring in me and another driver... please advise as i am new to this league and forum and any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Just to echo Delaney's post and as a driver, the league is always welcome for new drivers mid-season, obviously I don't know what you and the other driver current schedule is like, but with the current season we have one more race this sunday, then a 2 week break (for the real F1 races) then its the 2nd half of the season and the remaining 4 rounds.

So you and the other driver or either one of you could join and race this sunday, but if thats to soon then with the break weeks and 2nd half of the season that would give you and the other driver regular racing for a month and give you the chance to get use to racing here.

BMTM_Shifter

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 24, 2019
Hi Guys,

What I am about to write is just a reflection of what I am experiencing.

Probably you all know me by now (One of the guys who is always hanging at the back of the pack trying to survive :giggle: ).
what I am experiencing is most of the times frustrating and also sometimes unbelievable.
I do Sim racing now for over 1 year and I think that i reached my top level (not much of a level but need to coop with it).
I have studied a lot of YouTube videos and even drove together with some of the top racers in lobbies to get advice and tips & tricks, but I didn't progress much. What frustrates me the most is the fact that, some of you guys are flying over the track as if understeer, over steer, typrewear and wheel spin don't exist. In Project Cars I can understand that if you are a wizzkid to do the perfect setup, you can gain seconds per lap. But in GT sport, and especially in our league where everyone is racing with the same material and no setup tweaking is possible, the difference between the top and myself is huge.

I know what my problem is, I am good on the straight (off course it is simple, keep your wheel straight and floor the pedal) but I lack speed in the corners. And yes i have studied like stated many vids to improve but everytime i try these things (gradually learning not in a big bang) I always loose control and sooner or later i spin of. this is for GT Sport. When i look at Project Cars 2 it is even worse. i see guys going over the track with the same car as me with minor setup tweaks and I can't even hold the car straight and drive-able.

The only positive thing I can point out for my driving is, I am slow but i am fucking CONSISTENT slow. meaning I nearly pull off the same lap times over and over again> they are slow but they are the same.

For your understanding, I do trail braking, I don't coast (although it begins to be very popular with the elite players) So I always have my car doing something (brake, turn, accelerate: single or in combination).

I also asked the question to you guys if your equipment is influencing your performance, and to my understanding it could but it is not proven because if you see BL99DY flying over the track with a controller it is amazing.

So my end conclusion is now ( and no I will not retire :cool::unsure:) I SUCK LOL.

think it is clear that I need to accept that this will be the highest level that I can be DR:B with around 22.000 points (the highest i have ever been).

BL99DY made a good remark but think that a lot of you guys don't have the time for it, to go in a lobby and help each other out. I am willing to setup a lobby and even buy a headset with mic (because don't have one now) to be able to go into a party and chat with each other.

So this is what i wanted to tell you guys so if you see me nagging that you know from where the frustration is coming LOL.

I enjoy our races but think the level is a bit to high for me ( NO again I am not going to retire)

See you at the track, and all tips are welcome.

One day........:eek:

Greetz Shifter....

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hi Guys,

Greetz Shifter....
There is definitely some things You can do. But first of all, You beat me and JTKirk in the FR! And to make things worse - Ragna_Kagari is also on a controller :eek:
You say that You are not coasting - In these cars, that understeer when You are on the throttle, You need to be off the throttle entering the corner. Out of the corners they have way to much torque because of the turbo - especially if You hit that moment where the turbo sets in. So in some corners it's faster to short shift (shift to a higher gear) to be able to control the power. And as Jack say in his stream - Be careful when close behind other cars. The dirty air is really tricky.
And one more thing - You do know that You have an overtake (like KERS) function that You need to assign to a special button (I have it on the triangle). If You use it right You can gain a lot of time in qualifying / overtaking / defending.

As long as You don't use any of this when close to me, it's free for You to apply to Your driving :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BL99DY-NINE

Jackiid15

GP2 1st Driver
GT Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
Hi Guys,

What I am about to write is just a reflection of what I am experiencing.

Probably you all know me by now (One of the guys who is always hanging at the back of the pack trying to survive :giggle: ).
what I am experiencing is most of the times frustrating and also sometimes unbelievable.
I do Sim racing now for over 1 year and I think that i reached my top level (not much of a level but need to coop with it).
I have studied a lot of YouTube videos and even drove together with some of the top racers in lobbies to get advice and tips & tricks, but I didn't progress much. What frustrates me the most is the fact that, some of you guys are flying over the track as if understeer, over steer, typrewear and wheel spin don't exist. In Project Cars I can understand that if you are a wizzkid to do the perfect setup, you can gain seconds per lap. But in GT sport, and especially in our league where everyone is racing with the same material and no setup tweaking is possible, the difference between the top and myself is huge.

I know what my problem is, I am good on the straight (off course it is simple, keep your wheel straight and floor the pedal) but I lack speed in the corners. And yes i have studied like stated many vids to improve but everytime i try these things (gradually learning not in a big bang) I always loose control and sooner or later i spin of. this is for GT Sport. When i look at Project Cars 2 it is even worse. i see guys going over the track with the same car as me with minor setup tweaks and I can't even hold the car straight and drive-able.

The only positive thing I can point out for my driving is, I am slow but i am fucking CONSISTENT slow. meaning I nearly pull off the same lap times over and over again> they are slow but they are the same.

For your understanding, I do trail braking, I don't coast (although it begins to be very popular with the elite players) So I always have my car doing something (brake, turn, accelerate: single or in combination).

I also asked the question to you guys if your equipment is influencing your performance, and to my understanding it could but it is not proven because if you see BL99DY flying over the track with a controller it is amazing.

So my end conclusion is now ( and no I will not retire :cool::unsure:) I SUCK LOL.

think it is clear that I need to accept that this will be the highest level that I can be DR:B with around 22.000 points (the highest i have ever been).

BL99DY made a good remark but think that a lot of you guys don't have the time for it, to go in a lobby and help each other out. I am willing to setup a lobby and even buy a headset with mic (because don't have one now) to be able to go into a party and chat with each other.

So this is what i wanted to tell you guys so if you see me nagging that you know from where the frustration is coming LOL.

I enjoy our races but think the level is a bit to high for me ( NO again I am not going to retire)

See you at the track, and all tips are welcome.

Greetz Shifter....

Hey mate. What you've said reminds me a lot of myself, I'm near the end of my first year here (time flies) and I still find myself near the back on a Thursday night in the GTSL side of things, but something I've found is while speed, skill and consistency are all important when you're like me towards the back you need a "never say die" attitude, even when I'm 3 or 4 laps down I'm still pushing with everything I have to try and catch up and do the best I can, I feel my fellow competitors deserve it and it pushes me to do better, I've come on a lot thanks to advice and practice from many within the league compared to my first few seasons.
You say you're going to get a mic and join the chat, bad idea that @TubbyPhantom talks the biggest load of pish this side of the Rio Grande (kidding), joking aside, it's a good idea to do that. The guys will watch from onboard and see where you could use pointers and their advice is always solid.
I hope you keep pushing friend, it's been great watching you when calling the action. Hopefully Monza is nicer to you than Kyoto :D
PinkiiBoii

BMTM_Shifter

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 24, 2019
There is definitely some things You can do. But first of all, You beat me and JTKirk in the FR! And to make things worse - Ragna_Kagari is also on a controller :eek:
You say that You are not coasting - In these cars, that understeer when You are on the throttle, You need to be off the throttle entering the corner. Out of the corners they have way to much torque because of the turbo - especially if You hit that moment where the turbo sets in. So in some corners it's faster to short shift (shift to a higher gear) to be able to control the power. And as Jack say in his stream - Be careful when close behind other cars. The dirty air is really tricky.
And one more thing - You do know that You have an overtake (like KERS) function that You need to assign to a special button (I have it on the triangle). If You use it right You can gain a lot of time in qualifying / overtaking / defending.

As long as You don't use any of this when close to me, it's free for You to apply to Your driving :ROFLMAO:
I did catch you Delaney but that was pure luck. You were on old beating up tyres and I had just pitted LOL. I have the overtake button installed and in the last lap in the feature race i used it to get some distance from you that is why i suddenly went from a few tenths to 1.4 sec ahead...LOL. You had used up yours so lucky for me. Indeed to get the power under control I trail brake a lot and like you suggest I also short shift a lot. That is maybe why don't carry much speed into, in and out of the corners. But otherwise when I don't do this I spin out (like you already mentioned)> Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining but I am an engineer and like to understand things. I understand that driver skills is also a big factor, but my mind is to small to understand that in one lap the difference can be 2 to 3 seconds per lap....LOL (i know how, somebody put glue on my tyres WHO...LOL).
Maybe it is best not to think to much and just drive....

greetz Shifter.

BMTM_Shifter

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 24, 2019
Hey mate. What you've said reminds me a lot of myself, I'm near the end of my first year here (time flies) and I still find myself near the back on a Thursday night in the GTSL side of things, but something I've found is while speed, skill and consistency are all important when you're like me towards the back you need a "never say die" attitude, even when I'm 3 or 4 laps down I'm still pushing with everything I have to try and catch up and do the best I can, I feel my fellow competitors deserve it and it pushes me to do better, I've come on a lot thanks to advice and practice from many within the league compared to my first few seasons.
You say you're going to get a mic and join the chat, bad idea that @TubbyPhantom talks the biggest load of pish this side of the Rio Grande (kidding), joking aside, it's a good idea to do that. The guys will watch from onboard and see where you could use pointers and their advice is always solid.
I hope you keep pushing friend, it's been great watching you when calling the action. Hopefully Monza is nicer to you than Kyoto :D
PinkiiBoii
I don't give up Pinki. I only give up when there are dirty drivers who smack you from left to right. but this is a clean league (accidents happen and mistakes also, like i punted BL99DY but then you need to be sportive and give the place back so i waited for him). I always try to push as hard as i can and I do, but in my opinion i don't reach the limit (and that is what i want to find out). How can I reach the limit still feeling comfortable, Like I am driving no I feel VERY comfortable. Lap times are not crazy but I am consistent. Only thing is now, the next step is not coming; still be consistent but improve lap times.

One Question to you all: for the race of sunday Monza, what is your best lap time and on which kind of boots (M,S or SS)

greetz Shifter

Reactions: TubbyPhantom

Jackiid15

GP2 1st Driver
GT Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
I don't give up Pinki. I only give up when there are dirty drivers who smack you from left to right. but this is a clean league (accidents happen and mistakes also, like i punted BL99DY but then you need to be sportive and give the place back so i waited for him). I always try to push as hard as i can and I do, but in my opinion i don't reach the limit (and that is what i want to find out). How can I reach the limit still feeling comfortable, Like I am driving no I feel VERY comfortable. Lap times are not crazy but I am consistent. Only thing is now, the next step is not coming; still be consistent but improve lap times.

One Question to you all: for the race of sunday Monza, what is your best lap time and on which kind of boots (M,S or SS)

greetz Shifter
That's good the hear :)
Regarding times, I'm about to go do a few hotlaps in TT on SS for my coverage and will let ya know but I can say it won't be as quick as the others :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Laptime was 1:34.944

Last edited:
Reactions: TubbyPhantom

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2016

greetz Shifter
I’ll be on in a short while 19.30-ish cest / 6.30 uk. I will be practising the Porsche thingy, but I’m sure it Can wait 30 min. Open a room and I’ll be there

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Hey @BMTM_Shifter, read your post(s) and can fully appreciate your current pov on what your experience with us so far.

You see as I said to Jack in the past I have a lot of respect for him and for those that find themselves towards the back (plus all drivers of all skill levels here for that matter) as despite the fact in Jack's case he doesn't have the pace currently, he still races week in week out and sees out these races to the finish, even if he's multiple laps down.
That takes a lot of mental fortitude as I've lost count in the past how many times I've seen other people in races (across other leagues/series) who are at the back and simply give up and quit if there having a bad race(s) or don't have the pace and aren't happy or can't handle it.

Either way it speaks a lot about a person to want to keep at in a league even if there towards the back, but theres nothing wrong with having a determination or wanting to win or be at the front (its a natural side of why we race) but equally it shouldn't be the only motivation for racing, as at the end of the day only one person can win, 2 more on the podium.
But someone has to finish last and these are just stating the bleeding obvious facts of racing, of course theres nothing wrong with finishing towards the back, sure it can and will be frustrating if it happens regularly but the best way to use finishes like that is as motivation and look at it as a challenge, as all of us at some point in racing have experienced being or finishing at the back.

Now you mentioned about your pace being 'slow and consistent' - but being consistent is one of the most important key things for any driver first and foremost to have a handle on and if you can do then that's a big part of the war won, as I could use a example version of the story of the tortoise and the hare.

2 drivers in a race, 1 of them lets call them 'Rocket Ronnie' is capable of a super fast lap times but is prone to big costly errors every few laps, the other driver 'Steady Eddie' by comparison can get around the track with zero issues and not make a mistake but is several seconds slower.
Rocket Ronnie has a great start and leaves Steady Eddie caked in his dust after a few laps, Rocket Ronnie has a 10 second lead but then in his haste he makes one of his normal costly errors the next lap and loses the lead to Steady Eddie.
Rocket Ronnie recovers and retakes the lead but yet again his inconsistency comes back to bite him in the arse and loses the lead yet again to Steady Eddie, this continues until the end of the race and despite that fact Rocket Ronnie was the faster driver by a country mile because he couldn't keep all 4 wheels on the circuit Steady Eddie wins.

The moral of the story, the fact you've got consistency Shifter means that gives you an advantage on most drivers even on some of those faster then you, and if they do make errors and you beat drivers like that then make no mistake you did the better job on the day.
But the next part for you (as you know) is to then try improve and work on your outright pace but unfortunately there is no real 'get quick fast method' (if there was top sim racers would be millionaires selling it), I have given driving advice to Jack in the past, but the thing is as a pad user whatever advice I've given isn't exactly transferable to those who use a wheel.
Also I was reading the chat in the lobby after the races on sunday, with the amount of practice that you talked about with Ash.

Just to give you an idea of what I do practice wise well as I'm in both leagues (SF & 911) normally I do a total of a hour to 90 mins for each over the course of the week so Monday-Thursday 911, Friday-Sunday SF. (though when it was one league that would be 2 to 2 and a half hours over the week)
Either way normally that is enough time for me to properly learn all the important necessary things ahead of the round.

The thing is though obviously not everyone has the luxury to put in many hours of practice, but on the flipside it never hurts to practice when you can, as you can learn things in the process.

I will add with Kyoto that was a anomaly last sunday, as I've never seen the spread of the field that big before between drivers of this quality but it was the circumstances that, that circuit layout wasn't really well known by all (but really suited me) plus it was a long lap time and I was in great form that night, as a result of those factors it caused a very big field spread, but I would fully expect a much tighter field at Monza come Sunday.

just finished TT monza 15h00 in game SS FL: 1:30,763 (way to slow LOL)
Lastly TT might be good for qualy practice, but if you can you would be better off joining Delaney when he has a room open and practicing then. (as you would get to practice in similar race conditions)

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2016
Shifter did join last Night. I was the hare and Shifter the tortois. And he did win. My fastest was about the same as Yours - quali 2 sec. Faster

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Hey co-ords just asking what the plan is regarding Round 7? Obviously with a couple weeks break theres no rush but it would be good to at least have a provisional track pencilled in if there still isn't a dlc track by the end of the break,

My suggestion - I'd double down on RBR wet.:LOL:

Though being serious while I would like the challenge of racing in the wet with these SF cars, I would worry whether racing in the wet would produce good fun racing for all, so another track I'd potentially like to see for Round 7 is Interlagos, since the league hasn't raced there in a while plus its a well known circuit, that's my thoughts anyway.

Jackiid15

GP2 1st Driver
GT Coordinator
Oct 8, 2018
Hey co-ords just asking what the plan is regarding Round 7? Obviously with a couple weeks break theres no rush but it would be good to at least have a provisional track pencilled in if there still isn't a dlc track by the end of the break,

Though being serious while I would like the challenge of racing in the wet with these SF cars, I would worry whether racing in the wet would produce good fun racing for all, so another track I'd potentially like to see for Round 7 is Interlagos, since the league hasn't raced there in a while plus its a well known circuit, that's my thoughts anyway.
I’ve said on stream that I’m hoping for either Spielberg Wet or Spa (if it’s released in time), though I think Tokyo Outer South (the longer of the two) could be interesting as it’s a street track, I believe Delaney and BL99DY have a track in mind but I agree that Interlagos could be quite good

TubbyPhantom

Formula 3 Test Driver
GT Coordinator
Dec 2, 2018

I genuinely think a wet race would be great! It's not that hard driving in the wet. I also like Tokyo, even though I don't really know the layouts too well.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I genuinely think a wet race would be great! It's not that hard driving in the wet.
The way @BL99DY-NINE mentioned the 911 wet RBR round in the lobby chat, makes me suspect he would disagree with your last sentence.:LOL:

As for Tokyo the central loops would be like racing at Monaco basically a moving traffic jam, as for the East and South loops.
East Outer and South Inner would at least offer a couple proper overtaking opportunities and are the best 2 Tokyo circuits for racing, South Outer misses out a good overtaking chance as for East Inner its basically the reverse of East Outer but takes away one good overtaking opportunity.

That's my opinion on the Tokyo circuits.

Last edited: