AOR Touring Car Championship Season 1 - Round 2: Oulton Park | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Touring Car Championship Season 1 - Round 2: Oulton Park

blake300892

F1 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Mixed results yesterday and on the whole fun despite the messiness.

Disappointed to see a pile up at Race 3 at the hairpin, you'd have thought 2 races would be warning enough to take it easy.

I was glad not to be out back on my own and in the pack. Biggest grid I've been involved with for a while outside of oval races.

Race 1 i navigated the chaos on the first couple of laps and was running ok around 12th I think around the mid point.
Then passing a slower car I dipped my left rear on the grass at braking for hairpin and violently spat myself into the barrier on the opposite side. Thankfully not hitting anyone.

I did however screw up my return to track, underestimating the wheel spin on the grass so did hit someone when returning as the gap soon closed. Thankfully didn't ruin their race but did apologize and will definitely be remembering that.

Race 2, pretty steady race from memory, starting around 23rd and ending up 14th. Some nice, generally clean battles along the way and carefully had to navigate an absolute car park of a hairpin on lap 1! Still had people behind steaming into the mess though when the track was clearly blocked but for a tiny lane.

Race 3, terrified of starting 7th, lost some places on getaway but yet more chaos into the hairpin and was around 4th towards end of lap.
Think it stayed like that for lap or two but then tangled with someone into turn 2/3.

Sent me pretty much to the rear, picked up a few more places and then mid race, car snapped on braking to the chicane and slammed into the tyres and came to immediate stop.

End of my race and experience.

It is a tight track and as people have mentioned, quite a bit of rubbing and nudging which still needs to be toned down a bit but isn't catastrophic. Still a new car which I'm sure is contributing and I know I wasn't 100% clean and under control so have work to do myself with this machine and league.

As mentioned earlier, things like when you have 2 pileups at the hairpin, surely race 3 everyone should be more cautious and try best as possible to keep it clean through there.

I still had good fun and hope to keep seeing improvements over the week, both in driving standards and own pace and consistency.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Well, whilst there were a lot (far, far too many) issues, I had as perfect a race night as I think I could ever have and have ever had.

Qualifying: Pole. I honestly didn't expect this as I've had trouble with tyre warm up even with the hand-braking (more on that to come in next races thread), but it actually worked out really well. I also know I'm decently good at starting the car, so being on pole was a bonus as I wouldn't have to drive around someone who maybe didn't have as good of a start.

Race 1: It actually went down slightly differently to how I expected. I never imagined I'd get as good a start as I did, despite feeling good at them. From there, I thought it'd be a simple drive with the gap I got after lap 1, but then I really struggled in the first 5-6 laps. I had no pace relative to @DIOGOPINTO121 behind, who caught me and tried to pass a few times. Luckily I was able to fend him off and then I believe he fell off the road which left @ramiboo behind, who also had more pace. Again luckily, he was already a bit too far back to close the gap in time, so I was able to take the win, which was great!

Race 2: Very similar story to race 1 with Diogo. I got a great start, but then struggled early on and Diogo clearly had the pace on me. Then, around lap 8 or so, I finally get on top of the car again and I start to match and go slightly faster than DIogo and I'm able to hold on to first and take the win, which again felt great.

Race 3: This one was just super fun. Once all the incidents started to calm down, it got much better, but because of the incidents I was setup really well for the remainder of the race, finishing lap 1 in 10th after starting 20th. After that, my main goal was to not let Diogo get away. So for the next 5-6 laps, when Diogo made a move, I made sure I followed through as quickly as I could to stay on his tail for the who time. Eventually, I can't remember exactly how, I was able to get past Diogo which got me up to 2nd place, only behind @Bucefal who I set about catching as quickly as possible. Set a new PB race lap during the 4 or 5 laps of hunting, and then I caught him, and was eventually able to make the pass in the final corner. There was a little bit of contact when I made the move on the outside, but I actually forgot to go and look back at it (too pre-occupied looking at early race incidents) so I apologise if that was over the line at all, it certainly wasn't my intention to have any contact at all. Anyway, after this I was up into the lead, and as there were only a few laps left, there wasn't enough time for Diogo to catch up, which meant that I was able to take the win.

Starting this league, after doing official races and the like, I never expected I'd come away with 5 wins out of 6. I certainly never expected to take all 3 wins in one race night. This is honestly completely bonkers to me because if you know me, you know i've got decent pace, but I'm not really someone who fights for the win that often. I'm fully expecting that this is partly due to probably doing more practice than a lot of people, so I anticipate certain people who aren't quite as fast as I thought they'd be will get up to pace sooner rather than later. I expect this is partly due to people potentially underestimating the car, and how it drives differently compared to pretty much anything else. Either way, Road America will be interesting.

Speaking of Road America, I said last week that the silly incidents need to be gone by the time Road America ends. Road America is a track that is typically very easy to race on. It's not super wide, but it's really not tight either. If the incidents continue here we have a problem and I'll address it more harshly. I'm hoping this won't be the case, and by the time we get to the next tight and twisty track, we'll be more comfortable with the car and not doing daft things anymore.

That's all from me. On to the next one. :)

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Race 3: Eventually, I can't remember exactly how, I was able to get past Diogo which got me up to 2nd place, only behind @Bucefal who I set about catching as quickly as possible. Set a new PB race lap during the 4 or 5 laps of hunting, and then I caught him, and was eventually able to make the pass in the final corner. There was a little bit of contact when I made the move on the outside, but I actually forgot to go and look back at it (too pre-occupied looking at early race incidents) so I apologise if that was over the line at all, it certainly wasn't my intention to have any contact at all.
I completly messed up the saving replay process so I didn't have a look at it afterwards me neither.

I remember saying myself "Well, Phil that's quite an agressive move..." but I think it could be seen like within the lines of the acceptable for this type of racing, as I didn't really suffered from it.

At least it was way more acceptable than numerous of other moves we've seen so far

• Friendly
Reactions: Deerladog