AOR VLN Series (PC) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR VLN Series (PC)

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Former S-Mod
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
AOR VLN.png

Hello all!

After two super-fun social events, we decided to make the AOR VLN a monthly series of social races.

You may wonder: what is the VLN?
The VLN, properly the Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenpokal Nürburgring (Association of Nürburgring Endurance Cup Organisers) is an organisation of motorsport clubs of which each hosts one event of a ten-race series held on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, the "VLN Langstreckenmeisterschaft Nürburgring" (VLN Endurance Racing Championship Nürburgring). The series was named "BFGoodrich Langstreckenmeisterschaft (BFGLM)" from 2001 to 2009.

Participants of VLN races range from amateurs in small road legal cars with rollcages and harnesses to professional factory teams racing Group GT3 cars. The VLN series is closely associated with the 24 Hours Nürburgring, as it has similar rules (mostly), and mainly the same participants. In the calendar, several weeks around the 24h date in May/June are taken off to allow teams to prepare for the 24h, and to fix their cars afterwards. The 24h is not part of the championship anymore, though.

Basically, it's an multiclass endurance race/series around the Nürburgring combined.

It features GT3 cars and many slower classes, down to amateurs driving road cars with some safety modifications.

What are we planning?
We want to make this a monthly event, open to everybody. Hence, we set up as a series of social events, not as a league.

Can I join?
Are you a rookie? Or seek a challenge after winning the Elite tier? Either way, you are welcome to join.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the rules about racing with AOR.
AOR League rules

What classes will we race?

GT3 obviously.
We have tried matching GT4, but the speed difference is not big enough.
Current consideration is GT3, Touring Cars, Clio Cup.
Group A are also an option, all of them would somewhat represent the real VLN well too.
We will test a few combinations over the next socials until we settle for a good combo.

How long will these races be?
We've had 1 and 2 hour races.
I personally think, we should keep it around 2 hours, but we can also have some shorter (1.5 hours) and even longer super-specials (3 hours).

What about assists, damage and realism?

We will run with Authentic assists but will allow driving line.
We have tried full damage and performance impacting damage.
Both options are valid, we will find an agreement with participants - more on that later.
Tire wear and fuel usage will be set to realistic.

Weather and time of day? Please no nighttime blizzard!

We should be safe to exclude snowy conditions, but the social races will each feature different time of day and weather conditions.
Time progression will always be real-time.

What kind of start do we have?
Recent experience shows, that the in game rolling start is not fit for online racing.
We will do a manual rolling start, but, due to the length of the track will not have a formation lap.
Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rolling start procedure:
(read here or watch the video)
Our workaround is that we get into formation after the Schumacher-S and start the race after the Warsteiner Curve:
NurburgringNordschleife.jpg

Acceleration zone (at the line):
ss223523.jpg

Stay tuned! we will open a new thread for each social! :)

Feel free to use this thread for discussions and suggestions.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Alright,
Now it's time to determine the best weekday to run this :)

I believe our options are

Monday evening
Tuesday evening
Saturday daytime
Saturday evening

If you are interested in joining one or more of these events, which day would suit you best?

@Footyad24
@Black Scorpion
@Niclas Domino
@AndrexUK
@Col.McCoy
@s95butters
@TicklishPicklewickle
@areqq
@txalin
@Fast_draw7
@King-kodiak
Tbh I can do with everyone of those days so I don't mind what we do. It also depends on how different other leagues run as we obviously don't want this to collide with a league race. But that shouldn't be a huge challenge.
But any one of these days are fine with me :)

Also, when we get driver swaps (please SMS keep you promises), I'm the first in line to drive the 6 hours VLN event ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Stephan

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Might be a good option to add a Poll to the post :)
Thought of that, decided against it, as you can only have one poll :)
We might later need to discuss things like classes or damage.

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
If no poll is coming, Tuesday would suit me best.
Monday generally worst for me.

As for GT4, let me have a crack at it and do some testing. If we can get like 3 cars that are close, it would/should be a valid option.

areqq

GP2 Test Driver
Sep 22, 2016
Tuesday or Saturday evening are best for me

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Black Scorpion

Formula 3 Test Driver
Oct 22, 2017
Hmmmmm.... 1.5 hours race time would be a good compromise between 1 and 2 hours...

And for the day.... any day in the evening but sunday for me. Saturdays I MIGHT be away... so on week days it's best for me, even I HARDLY regret it on the morning when the alarm clocks me out of the bed at 5am..... ^^

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
Saturday evining works bedst for me.
Well 2 houres also works bedst if We are going to have trafic, We might need to test out some defrint and bigger gabs between cars when starting the race, as we only just got some of the TC cars not all and the gt3 Can only gain about 40 sek in about 30 min on a gt4 and with laps around 8:35 sek for at gt3 you will got se the gt4 cars

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for the input. Seems Tuesday is favored. Weekday is tough, the last race ended close to 1 am for me :p

Let’s then take the Last Tuesday of the month.

Is 8pm the best start time or could we move qualifying at least 30 min earlier?

We can try bigger gaps on the start, shouldn’t be an issue.

If we ever get driver swaps we will have to move to a weekend slot. But let’s have that conversation when the time comes :)

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
So please, if you talk about 'times' always use your reference. (UTC/UK/or European which probably is never ;-) ).

As for our Endurance League, I think we managed to start half an hour earlier (allthough we did races of 2.4 Hours), where it made even more sense. Anyway, for me 30 minutes is absolutely no problem. Especially, because qualifying is not important for this race. Also we need to rethink qualifying, as we saw only 3 people setting a time.
Maybe some thinking 'out of the box' is required. For example, whoever has the most attendances is allowed to start pole :p.... or a randomnizer or whatever. With the endurance we did qualy on Tuesdays and Race on Thursdays. Which ofcourse saves another 20 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Hetharion

areqq

GP2 Test Driver
Sep 22, 2016
I think 2 hours is ok duration of race. Quali, if it should be, 15 mins (one hot lap) is enough.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Oh, yeah, time zones :)

When discussing lobby times I always reference U.K. time.

Personally, I’m in Finland which is EET, 2h ahead of the U.K.

As for qualifying, we can do a grid based on the previous VLN (or even reverse grid) and put people joining the first time up front or in the back?

That would even the odds and remove the 1 hot lap pressure, resulting in hopefully more than 1 time posted per class.
Or we qualify at 7:30 UK time, or open that lobby even earlier

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Oh, yeah, time zones :)

When discussing lobby times I always reference U.K. time.

Personally, I’m in Finland which is EET, 2h ahead of the U.K.

As for qualifying, we can do a grid based on the previous VLN (or even reverse grid) and put people joining the first time up front or in the back?

That would even the odds and remove the 1 hot lap pressure, resulting in hopefully more than 1 time posted per class.
Or we qualify at 7:30 UK time, or open that lobby even earlier
In AC leagues we start as soon as 7 PM UK. We do 35 minutes practice, 15 mins qually and 2 races of 25 mins. 7 PM UK is fine for me as that is 8 PM in Denmark. I don't know if anybody will have a problem with it though. We just do it in the AC leagues and we usually don't struggle with attendance at all

s95butters

F1 Reserve Driver
Jan 9, 2015
In AC leagues we start as soon as 7 PM UK. We do 35 minutes practice, 15 mins qually and 2 races of 25 mins. 7 PM UK is fine for me as that is 8 PM in Denmark. I don't know if anybody will have a problem with it though. We just do it in the AC leagues and we usually don't struggle with attendance at all
I like this idea but then a 2 hour race instead of two 25mins? :)

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I like this idea but then a 2 hour race instead of two 25mins? :)
Yes, I was just putting an example cause in AC we are gonna run the Audi TT Cup car so we figured 2x 25 mins races with race 2 being reverse grid was better for that type of car. But obviously 2 hour race with this, yes :)

Reactions: s95butters

Black Scorpion

Formula 3 Test Driver
Oct 22, 2017
Bout start time: Well, as it's always about UK times, 20:00 (UK) is way the MAXIMUM I'd could accept to join in, as it is 21:00 my time (already late).

Now, does a qualify lap makes sense on the NS if we race 1-2 hours along??? A good timing, now that's MY pov of course, would be 19:30 (UK time) some practice, up to 20:00, RACE START. So from 19:30 we could have some time to jump in and avoid problems for eventual newcomers (yeah, like me last time, lol).

Happy to see you on track!

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
Monday evening suits me best, but Tuesday is possible for me as well.
I do prefer 7 PM (UK) for Quali, because that's 8 PM for me here in Holland.