XB1 - AOR XB1 F1 League - Round 5: Spain - 13/11/16 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

XB1 AOR XB1 F1 League - Round 5: Spain - 13/11/16

Jason97F1

GP2 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Time for a race report.

Qualifying. 17th. Great. Cheers. At least I could now do a one stop.

Race: I had to cut across turn 2 at the start after the Manor locked up on the inside and caused everyone to come across in front of me. After a few incidents later in the lap I had once again gained several positions on the 1st lap and was up to 10th. By Lap 5 I had caught up to 3 cars in front, the first of which was @Snowyyy who was determined to explore every inch of the track and held me up quite a bit. I eventually got through on the main straight but we'd lost DRS on the soft runners.
On lap 9 I took the lead as all the soft runners pitted and that's where my race became a time trial as I barely encountered anyone after this. I came in for my only stop on lap 14 and emerged in 7th but I was only around 20 seconds behind the leader and everyone had to pit again so I was on for a top 5 finish at this point. Once everyone else pitted for their 2nd stop I was up to 3rd but I was passed first by @HCR Cupid then @Seiyariu, who had pitted a couple of laps after which left me 4th. I thought @TRL Martin would've closed in on me but the gap stayed around 2 seconds and I came home 4th.

A great result after starting 17th but honestly it seems unless you want to finish on the podium in this league qualifying is almost irrelevant because there's so many people who are good over one lap but for some reason finish well down the order in the race (especially if your gamertag starts with CRL :p).
I've heard a lot about a 'Tyre Glitch' recently where if you start on the softest compound your tyre wear is 2-3 laps worse than if you start on the 2 hardest compounds. This definitely helped me in this race to easily do a one stop but I'm not sure how many people are aware of it so I thought i'd mention it.
Monaco next, my favourite and best track. I've never qualified or finished outside the top 5 in any league here but if I can't sort out my qualifying woes that will be tough to continue. There's also the fact that there are more wheel drivers than ever so that gives them a free pass into the top 10 if they don't crash.

• Funny
Reactions: FisiFan91 and Jack

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
I've heard a lot about a 'Tyre Glitch' recently where if you start on the softest compound your tyre wear is 2-3 laps worse than if you start on the 2 hardest compounds.
That's a glitch? Lol and I thought this was just me being inconsistent on saving tyres when I practised both strategies. xD

Snowyyy

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 12, 2015
Time for a race report.

Qualifying. 17th. Great. Cheers. At least I could now do a one stop.

Race: I had to cut across turn 2 at the start after the Manor locked up on the inside and caused everyone to come across in front of me. After a few incidents later in the lap I had once again gained several positions on the 1st lap and was up to 10th. By Lap 5 I had caught up to 3 cars in front, the first of which was @Snowyyy who was determined to explore every inch of the track and held me up quite a bit. I eventually got through on the main straight but we'd lost DRS on the soft runners.
On lap 9 I took the lead as all the soft runners pitted and that's where my race became a time trial as I barely encountered anyone after this. I came in for my only stop on lap 14 and emerged in 7th but I was only around 20 seconds behind the leader and everyone had to pit again so I was on for a top 5 finish at this point. Once everyone else pitted for their 2nd stop I was up to 3rd but I was passed first by @HCR Cupid then @Seiyariu, who had pitted a couple of laps after which left me 4th. I thought @TRL Martin would've closed in on me but the gap stayed around 2 seconds and I came home 4th.

A great result after starting 17th but honestly it seems unless you want to finish on the podium in this league qualifying is almost irrelevant because there's so many people who are good over one lap but for some reason finish well down the order in the race (especially if your gamertag starts with CRL :p).
I've heard a lot about a 'Tyre Glitch' recently where if you start on the softest compound your tyre wear is 2-3 laps worse than if you start on the 2 hardest compounds. This definitely helped me in this race to easily do a one stop but I'm not sure how many people are aware of it so I thought i'd mention it.
Monaco next, my favourite and best track. I've never qualified or finished outside the top 5 in any league here but if I can't sort out my qualifying woes that will be tough to continue. There's also the fact that there are more wheel drivers than ever so that gives them a free pass into the top 10 if they don't crash.

Hahaha I was determined to keep the place

George

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 13, 2014
That's a glitch? Lol and I thought this was just me being inconsistent on saving tyres when I practised both strategies. xD
Yep. I noticed that when practicing for China a while back now. Starting on it was easy to do a one stop and putting Mediums to the end. Yet, when starting on the supersofs and then pitting for softs it was impossible to match the number of laps you could do on a one stopper.

AndreBCF1997

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 7, 2015
As for my incident with @Jack, looking back at my footage, he was completely behind from my POV, but apparently he wasn't from his POV.
Schermata 2016-11-15 alle 01.17.54.png

TheFlyingFinn08

4-time AOR XB1 F1 Champion
Aug 23, 2016
Apologies for the late report :p

Qualifying: 1st ; Well, well, well.. Don't know if any of you have seen it yet, but as i went out on the mediums to set a banker lap, i got the most surprising "gust of wind" style of oversteer at the start of the 2nd DRS straight and nearly ended my qualifying before i even set a fricking lap #AlmostBottledItNo1

I think this pole lap is my favourite one, mainly because I love this track, but also of course, I managed to prove that I can put in a clean pole lap after being reported for my pole lap last race in Russia (for understandably fair reasons). :)
Although I must say that, I was surprised to get pole at the same time as I knew Martin, Seiyariu and Cupid were quite rapid in practice sessions.

Race: 1st

This race had its ups and downs really, I got another perfect start off pole and remained P1 into turn 1 with @TRL Martin following very closely from the outside. Managed to get a good enough exit at the last chicane to cut down the slipstream advantage that cars behind could gain from, and then headed into Lap 2, finishing Sector 1 with a good gap behind me, I was about to get into my rhythm, and then...... all of a sudden, my frame rate drops massively, I head into Turn 4 with a huge drop of force feedback, im turning the car and i was fighting an oversteer (that wasnt even there!) going with just pure instinct, as i couldnt tell if the car was sliding or not due to no force feedback, and that was just so awful to experience, first time its ever happened so far and it scared the sh*t out of me.. As that frame drop went away, i dropped down to P2 but quickly managed to get back in the rhythm in a mission to hunt down @StreeZ

Although there was nothing i could do, i still wanna apologise to @TRL Martin about that, because it made him lose places for no fault of his own either, im sorry!

As I started following @StreeZ , i realised that he had massive lag issues every single lap, so i was having to defend from @Seiyariu mainly because i was backing off from the leader, trying to keep a safety gap between me and Streez, just in case he lagged back more than he already was. I wanted to get past straight away, but i was not gonna take such risks like that so early on in the race, had to stay patient. That was a shame, because i really wanted to have a good battle with Streez but he pulled into the pits lap 5 and we were set free to put in good laps before our pitstops. As Seiyariu pits Lap 6, i decided to stick to my strategy and went 2 extra laps only to come out millimeters next to him at Turn 1, we had a cheeky battle during that lap before i was able to get past him on the main straight.

Cutting onto the in lap for my 2nd pit stop, you'll see in my highlights that i pick the medium tyres, and as im coming into the pit lane, i press X to press "Box This Lap", completely forgetting that Jeff was asking me for an alternative strategy for the 700th time, so i choose the strat in panic, which selected the Hards for me, so then i slow down so i have time to pick the mediums again, and as im coming to the pit line, i try to go to fuel mode to pick lean, and accidentally clip the left button which turned my tyre to fricking softs, which i spotted immediately then slowed down EVEN MORE to quickly switch back to Mediums ffs :D #AlmostBottledItNo2 ..If i accidentally went on either Softs or Hards then i would have come out the pits like "i've lost this race, haven't I?" lel.

Once i come out the pits after all that extra slowing down, i came out just behind @George and I was stuck behind for a lap which meant that my undercut advantage was gone.. coming onto Lap 25 or so, i see that the 13-14 second gap i had to Seiyariu, had closed down to 8-9 seconds or so but i started to think that the cheeky devil was saving his tyres this whole time and that he was not gonna pit anymore xD As he pits on lap 26 or so, i get the biggest smile going past him on the pit straight.

That smile didn't last for long as I saw the reigning XB1 champion @HCR Cupid only 6 seconds or so behind me with 6-7 laps to go. He was hunting me down and closing a few tenths every sector, and with about 3 laps to go, the gap was only about 4.3 seconds ish, which made me acknowledge that he was on a lap fresher tyres and that he was rapidly catching. I started using my fuel a bit more here and there, but also was saving tyres coming out out of slow speed corners in Sector 3 to be sure i dont get a repeat of Bahrain -_-

I come to cross the finish line finishing only 2-3 seconds ahead of Cupid after his amazing recovery (driver of the day imo, the win was definitely possible for him) and a few more seconds ahead of Seiyariu, my nearest title rival.

I was quite happy with that result, definitely my favourite race i've had in AOR so far, shame about few lag issues and the sudden frame drop.

I would like to also congratulate my brother @Sonuc T Saltunc on his P6 finish after starting P12 ( #WilliamsFTW ), and also @I Jason97F1 I for his impressive P4 finish after pulling out the best strategy in that race, gg man.

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments, see you all in #MonacoMayhem :)