Car Setups - Learn how to make your own | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Car Setups - Learn how to make your own

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Pre-requirements:
Make sure you know what we're talking about!

● Understeer/Oversteer basic knowledge
- Driver61's Understeer explained (link to video)
- Driver61's Oversteer explained (link to video)
- SAFEisFAST Oversteer/Understeer: Mistaking One for the Other (link to video)
● Weight transfer
- Empty Box's SimRacing 101: Weight Transfer (link to video)
- Driver61's Weight (Load) Transfer explained (link to video)

Introduction:

Hey chaps,

When I was taking part in AOR Pcars leagues, I often came across people asking for setups - myself too, in some cases. Setting up your car can be very time-consuming and that's probably one of the main reasons people are reluctant to learn properly how to set up their car - despite it being one of the most basic requirements in the racing world.

While many members are open about their setups (for instance I asked advice to experienced GT3 driver @Jeff[NL] regarding the SLS GT3 in Season 7), others will be as clueless as you are, or simply don't want to share to keep the edge on their competitors. For this reason, it can be helpful to have a reliable team mate.

In this thread, we'll have a look at which setup adjustments you can use and what they do. There's quite a lot to absorb, so feel free to process this post and attached medias bits by bits, or whatever suits you best.
Now let's get into it, shall we?

Personally, depending on how much time I can afford to practise, I either test out setups from Youtube/websites and adjust them to my liking, or make one myself starting from default. In both cases, I tend to rely on the 21-steps setup guide you'll find in the links section at the end of the post.

This guide is available in English (pages 1-3) French (4-6) and Spanish (7-9), and while it relates to GTR2, most of the stuff is relevant to games such as Project Cars, Assetto Corsa or even iRacing. Now that I mention it, Project Cars 2 comes with a built-in setup engineer you can turn to for setting up your car, step by step, which is a feature you'd do well to take advantage of if you struggle at some point.
Note on the guide: I usually take care of tire pressures after I'm done with the setup. At first, just get them into the right ballpark that will give you consistent grip for 8-10laps stints.

As far as I'm concerned, I've also learnt a great deal from Youtube user Dyr_gl PSN who goes through car setups in a series of videos. Each one is about 10-15mins long so you can go back and forth anytime without any problem. You'll find the videos below too - they're done with Pcars, but you get the idea. I also include other videos I've learnt from.

Tips:

1) Consistency is key!
When you are in the process of setting up your car, it's important you do consistent laps so first and foremost make sure you know the track to have a reference laptime. Tyres take few laps to reach their optimal grip levels, so usually after a setup change you're looking at 5-10 laps stints. Sometimes changes are noticeable even sooner. If you can't do 8-10 laps all within 0.2s, work on your consistency. (More generally: if you are within 0.5% of the laptime, i.e 0.6s on a 2min-lap, you're almost there)

2) Work on ONE setting at a time.
I can't stress enough the importance of adjusting only ONE component at a time. If you notice an improvement/change, continue to adjust the setting, step by step, in that direction until you reach a limit. Then finetune to your liking.
Making more than one change is nonproductive because you won't be able to determine what change made the car better or worse. Be sure to have plenty of paper & pencil on hand. It is critical to take notes after every adjustment you make. With all the adjustments available, it's really easy to forget which one you made 3 practice sessions ago. Record keeping is important. If you do go the wrong way with an adjustment you can always set it back to where it was before, by simply referring back to your notes. Tracking & logging information also allows you to refer back to them to see how you progressed to cure your handling problem. These notes could be useful for setups at tracks with similar configurations which can turn out to be a real time saver. By keeping track of adjustments, you will be able to refer back to your notes to see what worked & what didn't. This will help you decide what to adjust if a similar situation arises at another track.

3) Default setups are not that useless.
When learning a track, it will help you focus solely on the driving side of things. Unfortunately, the way default setups are in recent games/sims means that some settings are often way off what they should be, weird or unrelevant to the track you're driving on. This is pretty understable after all - they are designed to offer decent handling across possibly all tracks - but they are unusable as baselines to start with (or just some bits). However, they usually will give you hints at how the car is balanced. In some cases, you'll want to keep that front to rear balance so keep that in mind. (ie default ride height is 70mm front and 80mm rear, if you lower the car, try to keep the same gap between front and rear before adjusting individually the setting)

4) Be patient!
It is important to understand that for every adjustment you attempt, it may not produce the desired results right away. You may have other chassis adjustments that are not quite right, masking the problems you're trying to adjust for. Thus, you may not see as drastic a change in your adjustments after just one tweak. You may have to readjust another chassis component to so call "free" up your original adjustment. If you feel your setup is close, yet seems to be lacking that one minor adjustment, there may be more to it than just adjusting one more component. You may have to "undo" few adjustments elsewhere, then go back to your original adjustment to get it just right. For every action you take, there will be a counteraction that may not appear at first to be in the best interest of your setup. There may be times when you may have to take two steps back to gain one step forward. Because of this, chassis adjustments can become frustrating to figure out. It isn't easy. Perseverance & patience are required when playing the setup game.

Links:

link to 21-step Setup guide (PDF)
link to youtube playlist "Full setup guide"

Videos:

● SAFEisFAST Basic Setup changes

#1 Camber, Caster & Toe

#2 Springs, Shocks & Antiroll bars

#3 Ride Height, Rake & Weight Jackers

Oversteer/Understeer: How to balance the car setup-wise?

Last edited:

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Many articles available here (it's more for real driving, though).

https://nasaspeed.news/

Under "Tech" scroll down menu you will find many categories and articles.

Reactions: Stephan