Discussion of the first racing game which you played | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Discussion of the first racing game which you played

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

flyingfish

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 24, 2017
Euro Truck Simulator 2, an old game, released on 17 Jan,2013. This is a first I played the racing simulation game. I don't have the driving licence,you can't imagine how I turned this game into a European car accident simulation game. Now it's funny to think about it. What's about your first racing game?

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
2589727-speed+race.jpg

Probably this coin-op back in the day. 'Speed Race' by Taito (released December 1974) would have been in arcades I visited in the late 70s. Cost 10p/play, absolute fortune in those days, I used to get 15p pocket money.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Back on the good ol' Nintendo 64!

And my first F1 game not long after:

Reactions: Da4thSuspect

koldo

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 28, 2017
Back on the good ol' Nintendo 64!
And my first F1 game not long after:

Damn, my 5-year-old myself was absolutely addicted to that game.
Also, that game has one of the best music themes in all of gaming imo:

(menue theme)

(track preview)

Listening to those two soundtracks brings back so many memories...endless hours in front of the tv at a rainy sunday afternoon...what a great time this was:rolleyes:.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Damn, my 5-year-old myself was absolutely addicted to that game.
Also, that game has one of the best music themes in all of gaming imo:

(menue theme)

(track preview)

Listening to those two soundtracks brings back so many memories...endless hours in front of the tv at a rainy sunday afternoon...what a great time this was:rolleyes:.
Omg the flashbacksss!

Murphy

AOR XB1 GT3 Elite Champion
Oct 14, 2016
Took a bit of searching but finally found it.

Microprose F1GP. This we are talking was back in 1993/4 when I was 3/4 years old.

It was loaded onto this old breezeblock of a laptop and I never knew how to start it as you had to type something into MS-DOS to get it to load so my dad got really sick of me looking to play it....ahhh the memories.

I remember think it was the most insane thing ever and when I look back at it you wonder how.lol
f1gp.jpg

Soon after someone got me a SEGA Saturn and then the times of SEGA Rally Championship started. Think it's still in the attic back home, might actually go and find it for a laugh.
7043_front.jpg

138575-Sega_Rally_Championship_(E)-4.jpg

Great thread!!!!! Bringing back some mega memories from my childhood :stig::woot::woot:

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
F1 2000 on the PS1....I played the **** out of it, extra features like F1 trivia questions in the loading screens and it even had a Safety Car, unbeliveable

DANnnoy

Junior Karter
Nov 3, 2017
Euro Truck Simulator 2, an old game, released on 17 Jan,2013. This is a first I played the racing simulation game. I don't have the driving licence,you can't imagine how I turned this game into a European car accident simulation game. Now it's funny to think about it. What's about your first racing game?
It sounds interesting, but I didn't play it before. could you tell me more details, I will consider to buy one one, haha

DemoN

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II

Quite possibly the worst racing game ever lol. Other than that I played Colin McRae Rally on the PS1 first of all. Much better game.

EVR Matt212

1 Time XB1 Rookie League & Christmas Cup Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
May 5, 2015
Need for speed most wanted 2005 for me, not the most sim style game in the world but still highly regarded as the best NFS there has ever been, loved it, still play it to this day and its probably one of the biggest reasons i enjoy racing now :')

flyingfish

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 24, 2017
It sounds interesting, but I didn't play it before. could you tell me more details, I will consider to buy one one, haha
Travel across Europe as king of the road, a trucker who delivers important cargo across impressive distances! With dozens of cities to explore,your endurance, skill and speed will all be pushed to their limits.
You can transport a vast variety of cargo across more than 60 European cities,run your own business which continues to grow even as you complete your freight deliveries,build your own fleet of trucks, buy garages, hire drivers, manage your company for maximum profits,and customize your vehicles with optional lights, bars, horns, beacons, smoke exhausts, and more.
This is the 2013 game, so purchase it should be cheap now.I have bought it on Nokeys. If you need it, maybe think it over.

Niek van Gelder

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2015
My first ever racing game was Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS! Then I got a Nintendo Wii and got Mario Kart for that, and after that I got a PS3 and bought F1 2011 for that which was my first proper racing game ;)

EVR Matt212

1 Time XB1 Rookie League & Christmas Cup Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
May 5, 2015
My first ever racing game was Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS! Then I got a Nintendo Wii and got Mario Kart for that, and after that I got a PS3 and bought F1 2011 for that which was my first proper racing game ;)
Mario Kart probably had more realistic physics than f1 2011 :p

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Maddog40

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
FIFA Coordinator
Feb 13, 2017
Mario Kart DS is the best Mario Kart, imagine disagreeing.... :p

First Proper racing game though was this gem -

Oh man the memories.... firstly, the sounds were glorious back in 2003, and I actually had some fairly decent racing with the AI considering I was on a keyboard. However, the most fun I had was driving round the circuit backwards and abusing the crash physics of the game so much that I sent a 1999 Minardi into the lake at Albert Park. Good times, good times.

It's also incredibly moddable. I've seen reports of mods being made for everyone single F1 Season between 1950-2015, not too sure how true that is of course but it's still startling how many mods a game from 2003 has and how many people still make mods on this game.

At a time when Sony had the rights to the F1 games exclusively for PS2 (and my brother in his infinite wisdom got an Xbox, cheers for that) This was the most recent F1 game up to 2009 that I owned. And it was a bloomin cracker of a game. Now if only I can get it to install properly on Windows 10, I might be able to play it again :p

Da4thSuspect

Project CARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
images.jpg

This was my first 'sim' experience when I was about 7/8. Used to play it with a keyboard - awkward as hell lol
The level of detail and realism blew my mind at the time.

FOGGY #7

AOR PS4 Project CARS Champion
Premium Member
Dec 30, 2015
First Played alot of 80s/90s Arcade coin - op Video Racing games. Outrun - Sega Rally -GP- 500 PC - Lombard RAC Rally PC - Toca Touring Cars / spent HRS on this. Happy memories !:)
Out Run - Ingame.gif
sega06.jpg
51M2863Z1HL._.jpg
540x360.jpg
big_12.jpg
1441485-toca_plat_cover.jpg
52438-TOCA_-_Touring_Car_Championship_(E)_(v1.1)-1483022354.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
This thread got me thinking and I honestly can't remember what was the first proper racing game I played, though it was definitely one of two on the SNES it was either:

Or probably not just one of the best racing games but one of the greatest games of all-time:

:love:
note: I definitely felt like Bowser on the box art on numerous occasions (f*ck you red shell) when trying to win the Star Cup on 150cc for the first time.:arghh:

View attachment 31233
Probably this coin-op back in the day. 'Speed Race' by Taito (released December 1974) would have been in arcades I visited in the late 70s. Cost 10p/play, absolute fortune in those days, I used to get 15p pocket money.
I trust you got your moneys worth out of playing it Jay.(y)

First Played alot of 80s/90s Arcade coin - op Video Racing games. Outrun - Sega Rally -GP- 500 PC - Lombard RAC Rally PC - Toca Touring Cars / spent HRS on this. Happy memories !:) View attachment 31621 View attachment 31622 View attachment 31623 View attachment 31624 View attachment 31625 View attachment 31626 View attachment 31627
Played most of those, though my arcade game of choice in the 90's was Daytona USA.:)

F1 2000 on the PS1....I played the **** out of it, extra features like F1 trivia questions in the loading screens and it even had a Safety Car, unbeliveable
I had that game, something I use to do for a cheap lol was select Monaco put damage on and deliberately touch the barriers, until all 4 wheels where damaged enough that once you started to drive at speed properly they (the wheels) would fall off the car, it was quite funny when all 4 wheels flew off at the same time and you left sliding along the track surface.:rofl:

On PS1 I had 4 F1 games F1 '97, 98, 99 & 2000, without doubt the worst one by a country mile was F1 '98 (lack of realism and horrendous graphics) its predecessor on the other hand F1 '97 was superb it had many great features like realistic car performance relative to the team you drove, cockpit cam with the added option of doing tear-offs during the race, plus many other great things.:wideyed:
And I've just found this legendary commentary by Murray Walker in the game:
:hilarious:

Last edited:
Reactions: FOGGY #7

Erti147

Super Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I had that game, something I use to do for a cheap lol was select Monaco put damage on and deliberately touch the barriers, until all 4 wheels where damaged enough that once you started to drive at speed properly they (the wheels) would fall off the car, it was quite funny when all 4 wheels flew off at the same time and you left sliding along the track surface.:rofl:

On PS1 I had 4 F1 games F1 '97, 98, 99 & 2000, without doubt the worst one by a country mile was F1 '98 (lack of realism and horrendous graphics) its predecessor on the other hand F1 '97 was superb it had many great features like realistic car performance relative to the team you drove, cockpit cam with the added option of doing tear-offs during the race, plus many other great things.:wideyed:
And I've just found this legendary commentary by Murray Walker in the game:
:hilarious:
My favourite thing to do was, before the braking zone for Tun 9 at Albert Park, turn right where that concrete is and cut the track and Murray goes off his tits

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
My favourite thing to do was, before the braking zone for Tun 9 at Albert Park, turn right where that concrete is and cut the track and Murray goes off his tits
I'd like to see the option of in-game commentary added once again to F1 games, though I suppose some people wouldn't want to hear David Croft and Brundle commentating while they drive.

Also Erti think I've just found the closest thing to real Mario Kart:
If I ever went to Tokyo I would definitely do this, though when I saw this for the first time I couldn't help but feel almost outraged at someone in a Batman costumeo_O, I think if I was in that group I would have had to throw continuous banana peels at Batman while driving. (basically Batman should drive the Batmobile not a Mario Kart:finger::p)