PC ENDURANCE SEASON 5 - ROUND 3 - CotA - 30/05/19

Chloé

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2019
Finishing again off the podium, i had a good race at the beginning with the train of love made of ommen, dakuza, beau and me. Then the last 1h30 was a bit boring as i was racing alone. I got lucky that my pit was the 1st one cuz my car stalled right on the mark with 0L fuel left.

o Coxon o

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jul 17, 2016
Well that sucked, sorry for abruptly leaving but the game became undriveable. First half hour was ok but then it became a scene out of Tokyo drift (queue the music). I'm pretty sure lmp's are not suppose to handle like that.

Ps. It was so bad & I got so frustrated I went & brought ACC straight after :ROFLMAO:

• Funny
Reactions: Col.McCoy

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
Well that sucked, sorry for abruptly leaving but the game became undriveable. First half hour was ok but then it became a scene out of Tokyo drift (queue the music). I'm pretty sure lmp's are not suppose to handle like that.

Ps. It was so bad & I got so frustrated I went & brought ACC straight after :ROFLMAO:
I'm not surprised when you seemed to be running a lower downforce setup on what is a high downforce track. Yes the S/F straight is a decent length and there is the long back straight, but you only spend about 30 odd seconds on those straights, in what is a 1min 45-48 second lap. The rest is corners that benefit from downforce.

The LMP1 cars are extremely fragile and sensitive, and need to utilize the downforce that is available to them to get their grip and speed. You can't drive them super aggressive, throwing them around through corners and hammering curbs like you can in GT cars, as you're just going to detach the airflow from the underside of the car (which is super powerful in these cars and more efficient than relying on wing angles) and therefore cost you grip. You need to be smooth with them and try to keep the car as stable as possible to get the aero working properly through the corners.

Even in slow speed corners, having more aero is beneficial as the aero is getting that advanced on these cars. It helps slow the car down, carry a bit more apex speed and get off the corner a bit better in the traction zones. Having that working for you means you're going won't be leaning on the hybrid as much to bring you up to higher speeds as you'll be deploying it from a higher speed coming off the turn. A common mistake that I see people doing/thinking with the LMP1 Hybrids is that if they make a mistake, they can make up the time again using the hybrid boost to get back up to speed, which is far from the truth. If you lose half a second due to a bit of oversteer mid corner, you've lost half a second to someone who has nailed the corner. Then when it comes to the hybrid off the turn, you're boosting from a lower than usual speed, so you're using more hybrid charge to make up for that which means you're not going to have that elsewhere on the lap, so the rest of the lap is borked in terms of hybrid strategy, and potentially the one after. In the end, that half a second mistake could cost you a full second if not more over the course of the rest of the lap and maybe the next one.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm directing it specifically at you Coxon, but I do mean to apply this for all LMP1 drivers. It's fairly obvious that there are a few people who are struggling to get to grips with the cars, so wanted to more inform all of the LMP drivers and give them tips to hopefully carry going forward. Feel free to ask any other questions about them and I'll be more than happy to help out.

o Coxon o

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jul 17, 2016
I'm not surprised when you seemed to be running a lower downforce setup on what is a high downforce track. Yes the S/F straight is a decent length and there is the long back straight, but you only spend about 30 odd seconds on those straights, in what is a 1min 45-48 second lap. The rest is corners that benefit from downforce.

The LMP1 cars are extremely fragile and sensitive, and need to utilize the downforce that is available to them to get their grip and speed. You can't drive them super aggressive, throwing them around through corners and hammering curbs like you can in GT cars, as you're just going to detach the airflow from the underside of the car (which is super powerful in these cars and more efficient than relying on wing angles) and therefore cost you grip. You need to be smooth with them and try to keep the car as stable as possible to get the aero working properly through the corners.

Even in slow speed corners, having more aero is beneficial as the aero is getting that advanced on these cars. It helps slow the car down, carry a bit more apex speed and get off the corner a bit better in the traction zones. Having that working for you means you're going won't be leaning on the hybrid as much to bring you up to higher speeds as you'll be deploying it from a higher speed coming off the turn. A common mistake that I see people doing/thinking with the LMP1 Hybrids is that if they make a mistake, they can make up the time again using the hybrid boost to get back up to speed, which is far from the truth. If you lose half a second due to a bit of oversteer mid corner, you've lost half a second to someone who has nailed the corner. Then when it comes to the hybrid off the turn, you're boosting from a lower than usual speed, so you're using more hybrid charge to make up for that which means you're not going to have that elsewhere on the lap, so the rest of the lap is borked in terms of hybrid strategy, and potentially the one after. In the end, that half a second mistake could cost you a full second if not more over the course of the rest of the lap and maybe the next one.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm directing it specifically a
Don't get me wrong I am by no means a setup wizard I'd say I have a real basic understanding of how to setup a car(tyres,brakes,wings etc), so any help is always appreciated. I no I was running the Le Man's spec car & I had wings set as 4 & 5 which felt okay in practice. But I'll try a more high downforce setting for the next race.

I guess the most frustrating part for me is like you said you can't drive the cars like the GT3 which is precisely why I prefer driving the lmp's because in theory suits my driving style better as I like to be smooth & precise rather than being super aggressive & also the first stint wasn't to bad I was putting in some quick laps times in clear air (faster than my practise times anyway) & the slow speed corners felt ok or at least I was managing it, but then after the first pitstop something just changed & I couldn't control the oversteer in the slow speed corners at all & I couldnt understand why & frustration just kicked in.

BlackPanthor

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2018
Well... that was my first experience with this car and my first race i did on 2 hours... felt not that exhausted but i did pretty ****, made some rookie mistakes like on the formation lap and in the pitstop missing my crew :p but all in all im glad i finished it and brought it home in one piece ^^
Thanks all for a fun evening and hopefully see you soon on track

Mali Baćo

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jun 17, 2018
Great race everyone! I didn't have high expectations and my practice proved that was right. Still I managed to post a 2:04.998 and it was my only sub 2:05 lap around COTA.

The race start was okay. After backing off into turn 1, I had a go at @Lorentzen_94 out of the right-left corner at the beginning of Sector 2. My move on a Porsche driver was really sweet and I think it was a highlight of this race.

After a few laps, I sadly spun out on an entry kerb in Esses, so I went to the very back of the field. However some teammate cooperation and an okay pass on Colin meant that I was in a fight with my rival @Royalt. As he spun out in Sector 1, I closed the gap to 2 seconds and I was looking to get past. A few laps later, I didn't want to be too greedy even though I was breathing down his neck. It turned out that he had a collision with another guy who was lapping us both so I got a free position.

I wanted to chase down Lorentzen again, but I had no major improvements. Up until the end of this race, there was a stable gap of around 20 seconds between us two. Also, RoyalT was not catching me so there were no battles towards the end, other than me chasing down my teammate, @BlackPanthor, to lap him. We were great rivals back in F1 days, so neither of us wanted to yield. In the end, we crossed the line side-by-side like true gentlemen. :)

Strategy was good, although I was balancing between changing and not changing tyres. In the end I did change them which enabled me to push and really enjoy the second hour of the race.

Congratulations to everyone involved! My highlights will be out in a few days' time. ;)

inkychris

AOR PC GT3 S12 T2 Champion
Dec 9, 2018
@igor55 you should have said in discord, I could have backed out ;)

Went really hard on the practice for this race expecting to be battling the pace of @LeoNTheSickOne. Spent a lot of time in time trial trying to get on par with the R18 and even started to contend with the non-hybrid times which was surprising! Quali conditions were pretty similar to TTs but slightly colder (54 degrees) so managed to use softs for a hot lap. Race was fairly comfortable, didn't feel I needed to push too hard round a circuit where mistakes can escalate real quick (like when I tried to enter the pits backwards) with such high down-force setups, although @NuunuMarkus never let me feel too comfortable!

Shame there was such a poor turnout but I'm not complaining, love this track and got me my first endurance win!

See you all at Spa (or Imola GT3)!

Logan

F1 2nd Driver
Aug 13, 2018
Hey all,

Sorry to have missed the last two races, however I knew I would be missing at least RBR due to vacation. Had planned on making COTA however it seemed that my body had other plans as I was hospitalized right at the end of my vacation. Anyways, I did get two watch the streams for both of the races and the turn-out at RBR was awesome, would love to see numbers like that or better the rest of the season, however for some reason there were a large number missing for COTA, hmmmm.

I do want to make everyone aware that I know there are some standing errors with the spreadsheet, so I will hopefully get to looking into those over the weekend and can enter the COTA results as soon as @AndrexUK can get the results screenshots posted. Please remember that if you have any stewards inquiries they must be posted by tomorrow, or else they will be disregarded.

Hope to see a full grid at SPA!

-Logan

Andrew Harper

Pro Karter
Aug 2, 2018

Sorry if this sounds like I'm directing it specifically at you Coxon, but I do mean to apply this for all LMP1 drivers. It's fairly obvious that there are a few people who are struggling to get to grips with the cars, so wanted to more inform all of the LMP drivers and give them tips to hopefully carry going forward. Feel free to ask any other questions about them and I'll be more than happy to help out.
Good information, many thanks. I've done hundreds of laps in the P2 cars but the LMPH cars are all new to me.

I was unable to practice before this one and during the race had wheel and pedal issues so had to stop. Sorry.

I've been doing lots of races recently in the Oreca 07 on RF2 and the setup philosophy for that car is in some ways the opposite of this one. Most of the very fast guys run the car in Le Mans trim with minimal downforce and then tune the car around the suspension. Which in some ways is totally unrealistic! lol. It works well for them but the car moves around so much I tend to prefer a more balanced handling setup for myself.