PC - ENDURANCE SEASON 5 - ROUND 6 - LeMans - 11/07/19 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC ENDURANCE SEASON 5 - ROUND 6 - LeMans - 11/07/19

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Random thought(s), with the none league racers joining in, would they be considered Pro-Am or Gentlemen racers? Also, if someone who jumped into this as a community race, decided that this was an awesome experience and want to sign up for next season's series, would this help towards the qualification or would the normal time trials be required... Just asking for myself lol (If not then that's ok, just thought)
As non-league drivers you will not score points in the championship and therefore you won't be assigned Pro/Am like the league drivers do. I would say (my opinion, not official or anything) this race could be used as an evaluation race to new drivers. Again that's not for me to say as I don't run the league so there's that :p
In terms of another season, that might be happening, but I know @AndrexUK will not be involved in any PC2 after this last race of the season as he has moved to ACC instead and is coordinating a league over there now. So if we are to get a new season of endurance we would new a new guy to step up and take the lead first which I haven't heard anyone say they will yet, so as it stands right now, this is the last endurance season for the foreseeable future I'm afraid

• Sad
Reactions: /CSR/ speedy.go

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
As non-league drivers you will not score points in the championship and therefore you won't be assigned Pro/Am like the league drivers do. I would say (my opinion, not official or anything) this race could be used as an evaluation race to new drivers. Again that's not for me to say as I don't run the league so there's that :p
In terms of another season, that might be happening, but I know @AndrexUK will not be involved in any PC2 after this last race of the season as he has moved to ACC instead and is coordinating a league over there now. So if we are to get a new season of endurance we would new a new guy to step up and take the lead first which I haven't heard anyone say they will yet, so as it stands right now, this is the last endurance season for the foreseeable future I'm afraid
Well were ever the endurance races go, if I've got the sim I'll follow them for sure, I've got the endurance race bug after watching Le Mans and the 24 of Nürburgring :D

Also, that makes logical sense (due to zero points being on the line for none league racers), So I'll probably call myself a gentleman racer for this even and if everything goes well see where this takes me lol

Xeonski

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 16, 2018
I have a question about racing lines when being passed by a lmp.

At the exit of a chicane, if i have a lmp1 behind me, do i take my usual line and go to the exterior of the track and the lmp pass on the inside like this :

Or the other way around, i stay on the inside and the lmp pass on the exterior like this :

I know that in the rules, GT need to stay on their line but i think it's a particular case as i don't know where the lmp want to pass on these exits

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I have a question about racing lines when being passed by a lmp.

At the exit of a chicane, if i have a lmp1 behind me, do i take my usual line and go to the exterior of the track and the lmp pass on the inside like this : View attachment 83252

Or the other way around, i stay on the inside and the lmp pass on the exterior like this : View attachment 83253

I know that in the rules, GT need to stay on their line but i think it's a particular case as i don't know where the lmp want to pass on these exits
On paper you follow your line and the LMP takes the inside, but in reality that might not be the case. There's always an element of feel and anticipation in the art of multi-class lapping. On paper the first example should be true, but it all depends on how the situation unfolds and that's where you as drivers need to communicate and work together to make the pass as painless and uncostly as possible for both of you. On one hand, example 1 will hold up the LMP as he has to wait for you drifting out towards the outside. On the other, in example 2 the GTE car loses time for not taking the ideal line out of the corner. It's sort of a lose/lose situation this but you have to make the most of it. So long as you don't take each other out, that's the most important thing.
Hope that makes just a tiny bit of sense

EDIT: in this case I think it's very important for the LMP to make his intentions very clear to the GTE so there can be no misunderstandings

Chloé

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2019
I'll send you strength in the chatbox of the stream ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: AndrexUK

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
On paper you follow your line and the LMP takes the inside, but in reality that might not be the case. There's always an element of feel and anticipation in the art of multi-class lapping. On paper the first example should be true, but it all depends on how the situation unfolds and that's where you as drivers need to communicate and work together to make the pass as painless and uncostly as possible for both of you. On one hand, example 1 will hold up the LMP as he has to wait for you drifting out towards the outside. On the other, in example 2 the GTE car loses time for not taking the ideal line out of the corner. It's sort of a lose/lose situation this but you have to make the most of it. So long as you don't take each other out, that's the most important thing.
Hope that makes just a tiny bit of sense

EDIT: in this case I think it's very important for the LMP to make his intentions very clear to the GTE so there can be no misunderstandings
I think Yorkie did a video on multiclsss racing on YouTube. That might be the best resource.

All I know tomorrow, when I get informed of a “faster class car” is about to lap you I’m going to give them as much room as humanly possible. I don’t want to do an Ocon to someone.

• Funny
Reactions: Col.McCoy

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
All I know tomorrow, when I get informed of a “faster class car” is about to lap you I’m going to give them as much room as humanly possible. I don’t want to do an Ocon to someone.
The thing is, this is not F1. Please don't move out of the way of the faster class. It'll create more confusion than clarity and it makes you unpredictable for the LMPs. Stick to your line and the LMPs will find a way around you. If on the other hand another GTE car laps you, that's where you make sure to move out of the way

• Agree

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Indeed, please just stick to your line to the best of your ability.
The LMP cars will be planning on how to pass based on you being on the racing line.
Most likely, they will be passing on the straights,or perform a cut-back, to pass you on the inside during the exit of the corner.
Therefore, holding a tighter line to 'let them past' can actually put you right where they want to be.

LeMans is about as good a track as there is in terms of passing, as it's plenty wide enough everywhere, and there is LOTS of straights to get past on.
If you get someone behind you in the corner sections, then they will probably just sit behind you till the end of the corners.
They don't want to wreck their race by picking up damage.

As much as they want to get past, all drivers will be in the same position. Sometimes they will gain from an easy pass, sometimes they will loose time by having to wait.
But it will even itself out, as the same thing happens to all of them.

It's up to the Faster class to navigate their way past the slower cars safely. But one of the hardest things to do is to just accept that you WILL loose time on occasion, but so will the car ahead, and behind.

Steve Allan

GP2 1st Driver
May 12, 2019
The thing is, this is not F1. Please don't move out of the way of the faster class. It'll create more confusion than clarity and it makes you unpredictable for the LMPs. Stick to your line and the LMPs will find a way around you. If on the other hand another GTE car laps you, that's where you make sure to move out of the way
I was thinking more along the lines of (on the straights) staying on the racing lines and lifting off until passed then adding the gas after I was passed, and in the corners taking a slightly wider line, giving the drivers a chance to go on the inside (when it's possible). Other GTE cars then I'll do the normal F1 style treatment.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I was thinking more along the lines of (on the straights) staying on the racing lines and lifting off until passed then adding the gas after I was passed, and in the corners taking a slightly wider line, giving the drivers a chance to go on the inside (when it's possible). Other GTE cars then I'll do the normal F1 style treatment.
Even that isn't the way to go about it. If you start lifting off on the straights, the closing speeds of the LMPs will suddenly become much faster which can catch them out. As well as the wider line, don't do it :p The LMPs have gazillion amounts of downforce compared to GTEs which means they will barely lose time by going the long way around you. You on the other hand in a GTE will lose significant amounts of time by going off the racing line because you don't have the downforce to take a wide line.
Just mind your own business when being lapped and the LMPs will do the rest. Simple as that :)

• Agree

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
Indeed, please just stick to your line to the best of your ability.
The LMP cars will be planning on how to pass based on you being on the racing line.
Most likely, they will be passing on the straights,or perform a cut-back, to pass you on the inside during the exit of the corner.
Therefore, holding a tighter line to 'let them past' can actually put you right where they want to be.

LeMans is about as good a track as there is in terms of passing, as it's plenty wide enough everywhere, and there is LOTS of straights to get past on.
If you get someone behind you in the corner sections, then they will probably just sit behind you till the end of the corners.
They don't want to wreck their race by picking up damage.

As much as they want to get past, all drivers will be in the same position. Sometimes they will gain from an easy pass, sometimes they will loose time by having to wait.
But it will even itself out, as the same thing happens to all of them.

It's up to the Faster class to navigate their way past the slower cars safely. But one of the hardest things to do is to just accept that you WILL loose time on occasion, but so will the car ahead, and behind.
Pretty much exactly this. @Xeonski your best option and the one you should always take is your first image with you taking the racing line and the LMP1 car staying tight at the exit to pass, as it is what the LMP1 car will be planning to do and setting themselves up for. They have a great view of you in front of them, so the more predictable you can be, the easier, quicker and the safer the pass will be.

In general for everyone, the only time you should have to give up the racing line is if the LMP1 car is positioned to pass you or is alongside, in which case you'll want to spend as little time as possible alongside them to minimize time lost for both drivers and reduce the amount of risk. On the exit of corners and on the straights, you shouldn't need to lift at all to let an LMP1 car past due to their acceleration and top speed advantage. The only time you should ever lift off is lifting earlier to allow an LMP1 car past on the approach into a braking zone for a turn, but only if they are positioned alongside you. If the LMP1 car tucks in line or sits behind you when coming into a braking zone, take your normal braking point and line through the corner. If they are within a car length and look to your inside, or are on the inside alongside you when coming into a braking zone, just lift and brake a little earlier to let them slot in ahead and then take your line in. One thing I will say as well with tucking in behind an LMP1 car is to always expect more than 1 of them to be there. Double check your mirrors and relative board before tucking in behind an LMP1 car to make sure you're not going to impede a 2nd following closely behind.

Also watch out for LMP1 cars passing around the outside of GTE's in the high speed corners such as the Porsche curves, as it is easily possible for them. They should only be doing it in the 2 right handers of the Porsche curves, and not in any of the lefts as they're more high speed and the GTE cars are pretty much committed to 1 line and on the limits of grip there. If you see an LMP1 car coming on your outside in those turns, just stay tight to the inside and they should pass fairly easy. The first right on the entry to the Porsche curves is quite high risk as it is much shorter than the other towards the end and is high speed, so the timing has to be just right for it to work otherwise it is best suited to leave a bit of space and save the pass for the 2nd longer right towards the end of the Porsche curve sequence. Through T4 down the hill after the Dunlop bridge is also possible for passing there, but after that it is best to sit behind through T5 and set yourself to switch back underneath and to the right of a GTE car on the exit of T6. Hopefully no one tries to dive down the inside into Tetre Rouge as the GTE's are again committed to 1 line and right on the limits of grip through there. With the long straight after, it's the best opportunity to save for a pass there too.

In summary:
- GTE's, stick to your racing line unless you have a car pretty much physically alongside you. That's the only time you should be doing anything to facilitate an LMP1 car passing you.
- LMP1's, time your passes right and where possible, avoid being stuck up right under the rear wing of a GTE car through a corner. It's always best to lift earlier when coming up behind a GTE on the approach to a corner, leave a good 4 or 5 cars lengths space so you can carry your apex speed through and have the room and momentum to accelerate off the turn without hesitation.

inkychris

AOR PC GT3 S12 T2 Champion
Dec 9, 2018
I think it's been said well enough already but just as an LMP driver, I'm essentially expecting the GTs to drive as if I didn't exist. Maybe that's why I'm a bit slower in traffic than some of the other guys but it keeps me out of trouble. The only thing that has caught me out with this is coming up on other LMPs and forgetting I have the line ;)

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
I think it's been said well enough already but just as an LMP driver, I'm essentially expecting the GTs to drive as if I didn't exist. Maybe that's why I'm a bit slower in traffic than some of the other guys but it keeps me out of trouble. The only thing that has caught me out with this is coming up on other LMPs and forgetting I have the line ;)
You're one of the "good guys" then :p
Not saying some LMPs are driving like madmen, but if they can safe time by taking the racing line from a GTE through a corner (like @Xeonski's example 2) they will do it. That's why I'm saying as a GTE driver stick to your line, but be ready for anything to happen as it isn't always as black on white in the actual racing situation. Sometimes the LMP will take the outside line. They shouldn't but they will :p

• Friendly
Reactions: inkychris

Mr. Van Ommen

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Feb 4, 2018
I am sorry guys, but I will not be there tonight. Thanks for the racing and organisation, as always.

Logan

F1 2nd Driver
Aug 13, 2018
Not sure if I am going to be able to make this one. Had some stuff come up this morning that I couldn't avoid. Might just barely make it if I do.