Endurance series. Discussion thread. | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Endurance series. Discussion thread.

David O'Reilly

Junior Karter
May 1, 2018
Gents, with the upcoming 24 hiurs of Le Mans being such a big undertaking it would be great to open a discussion thread for all the things that will inevitably come up as ideas or questions. It's a massive undertaking with 100 plus drivers committing to prepare and compete. The devil is in the details and stuff will need to be aired/explained/discussed.
To kick things off I have a couple of items;
The Mod: The LMP2 currently has some physics anomolies. (That were not present in the Ver 1.0) Esp ride height and tyre wear. Enduracers are aware. My suggestion is that we stay close to Enduracers on this and monitor progress. Also have a contingency plan in case its not fixed.
Have you assembled a testing team to report back to you? If not maybe ask for volunteers.

Weather: I respectfully suggest that you reconsider having live weather. Not sure why you feel its broken but I was in the P1 24hours of the Nords and it worked fine and was an exciting and decisive factor in the race.

Track version: There are some much better than others. Have they been compared? Has a decision been made.

Practice Race: In a multiclass event To get ppl on the same page regarding blue flag rights (or the lack thereof) it's strongly advised. Otherwise you get LMP drivers thinking they own the road and that GTE drivers have to yield (which they should not).

Concluding, not wanting to be a pest but if stuff is done professionally you will be onto a winner here and something special. If the details are not sorted well it can disappoint. With 20 or 30,000 practice laps in the pipeline details count.
Sincerely
David

Last edited:

David O'Reilly

Junior Karter
May 1, 2018
Well it seems that people are either too busy, too important or don't care.
Good luck with this 24 hours project.
Bye. :)

Sam Carpenter

Reigning rFactor 2 Monday League Champion
Staff member
rFactor2 Coordinator
Nov 16, 2017
Well it seems that people are either too busy, too important or don't care.
Good luck with this 24 hours project.
Bye. :)
Need I remind you of the size of the rFactor 2 scene we're running here? Many of us are in the busiest time we have ever experienced as co-ordinators, and trying to set up such a high-profile event whilst juggling other responsibilities, and other leagues takes a lot of time and effort.

We have been searching for track versions and actually have a much better version lined up now, which still requires several hours of work from myself to get it to an acceptable standard to race.

As for the mod, we have been through rigorous testing (I actually went 2 nights in which I drove for over 6 hours) to determine which cars to use from the mod, among other things. We are happy with the Enduracers 2.0 mod, and plan to use it (if there are any setup anomalies, they aren't game-breaking and the majority of people won't notice them. For example, I personally noticed that maximum rear spring rate is by far the fastest in the LMP2 cars, but I do not consider that to be a problem at all.)

Live weather is a complete no-go. I have an i7-7700k + GTX 1070 and I can't run with rain at night with 35 cars on track - I can't even hold 40fps in VR on high settings. (This FPS will be even worse for broadcasters).

A practice race could happen, but the rulebook should clear up a lot of confusion. However, we will not have a server up until the 13th of May at the earliest which is the driver lineup deadline.

I kindly as you to watch your tone, you can't just walk into such a high profile league and expect all of your ideas to be implemented immediately.

David O'Reilly

Junior Karter
May 1, 2018
So it appears people are busy is the short answer.
Sam I don't think you can lecture about tone. Your manner is a mix of regal and condescending.

I posted a very reasonable and respectful discussion post and had no response for the best part of as week.
So despite your feeling that "Need I remind you of the size of the rFactor 2 scene we're running here?" it seems that you aren't on top of your brief.
The race is next month, over a hundred drivers will be expected to train for hours and the tack isn't even clarified.

As for your extensive 6 hours of testing; I've done more than that and I am just a punter who was considering racing.
If you can't deal with fundamental matters such as track, mod/version/weather etc without getting emotional, then god help you with live stewarding.
There is no stream.
Your VR setup can't cope with rain (which works just fine in this sim) so that's rain out for everyone.
So what you think is a big RF2 operation I see as a fledgling project emerging from a very good console community.

A practice race is very very important. Many ppl don't read rules and they often don't understand blue flag rules between classes. I have had endurance races ruined by this.
Where is the rule book?

So I will quote from my post of May 1st
"not wanting to be a pest but if stuff is done professionally you will be onto a winner here and something special. If the details are not sorted well it can disappoint. With 20 or 30,000 practice laps in the pipeline details count.
Sincerely
David"

So Sam you need not bother warning me about tone. I have had dealings with one or two of your co-ordinators before in other scenarios and was distinctly unimpressed. I see their arrogance in posts here. I am out.
I won't support such a half baked yet self absorbed project. I see it as just diverting talent away from well run leagues and diluting the on line racing.

Last edited:

Craig Baxter

rFactor2 Coordinator
Staff member
rFactor2 Coordinator
Apr 7, 2014
So it appears people are busy is the short answer.
Sam I don't think you can lecture about tone. Your manner is a mix of regal and condescending.

I posted a very reasonable and respectful discussion post and had no response for the best part of as week.
So despite your feeling that "Need I remind you of the size of the rFactor 2 scene we're running here?" it seems that you aren't on top of your brief.
The race is next month, over a hundred drivers will be expected to train for hours and the tack isn't even clarified.

As for your extensive 6 hours of testing; I've done more than that and I am just a punter who was considering racing.
If you can't deal with fundamental matters such as track, mod/version/weather etc without getting emotional, then god help you with live stewarding.
There is no stream.
Your VR setup can't cope with rain (which works just fine in this sim) so that's rain out for everyone.
So what you think is a big RF2 operation I see as a fledgling project emerging from a very good console community.

A practice race is very very important. Many ppl don't read rules and they often don't understand blue flag rules between classes. I have had endurance races ruined by this.
Where is the rule book?

So I will quote from my post of May 1st
"not wanting to be a pest but if stuff is done professionally you will be onto a winner here and something special. If the details are not sorted well it can disappoint. With 20 or 30,000 practice laps in the pipeline details count.
Sincerely
David"

So Sam you need not bother warning me about tone. I have had dealings with one or two of your co-ordinators before in other scenarios and was distinctly unimpressed. I see their arrogance in posts here. I am out.
I won't support such a half baked yet self absorbed project. I see it as just diverting talent away from well run leagues and diluting the on line racing.
You clearly lack respect and have a massive sense of entitlement. First of all we are on top of the entire event. It is still over a month away and we are working on both the mod and track in order to get it in the best shape possible for the event. Drivers have been given access to both already if they wanted it.

That 6 hours of testing was in one night, not in total. As I said multiple people have been testing both the mod and track. Rain in general in rFactor 2 is completely broken. If you think otherwise you clearly don't understand how the rain works. It is tied to the realroad progression of the track. The wet on will reduce only if you have a very high progession like 5x but then your wet off will barely reduce at all. Combine that with the fact that even 1% of rain can flood the entire track and it doesnt stop increasing both the wet on and wet off, theres a serious flaw. Then add on top of that the fps issues that the new rain effects cause and s397 know this and are currently trying to fix it but will most likely not be done in time, rain isn't a viable option on rFactor 2 period.

What we think is a big rF2 operation you see as a fledging project from a console community, Yet 3/4 of the rFactor cordinators are not from console and have many years experience with rFactor 2 and running league in rFactor 2. Also been a part of other major leagues which have now become failures and are getting worse and worse. Ok mate.

Last edited by a moderator: