• Italy

• Portugal

• Spain

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
1623376290148.png

Thought I'd start this up since this begins tonight with Turkey v Italy, this was delayed for a year for obvious reasons Euro 2020 is not the standard European Championships there is no host country and the games have been spread across Europe with multiple nations having some home games in the group stages as a result.

Obviously I'm hoping that England can go all the way this time, after how we did at the last World Cup it definitely restored some of my faith at least (especially after big failures over the recent tournaments), but first things first is getting out of the group - of course I imagine most England fans will say or think that Croatia will be the toughest game but the biggest one without a shadow of a doubt is the game against the 'Auld Enemy' Scotland which is the second group game for both nations. (and this is Scotland first appearance at a Euro's finals since Euro '96)

Other big stories to look out for is the group of death - Group F with Germany, France and winners in 2016 Portugal, potentially all 3 can qualify but I do feel sorry for Hungary getting drawn in that group & lastly there were 2 first time qualifiers in Finland & North Macedonia the latter who qualified for this via the Nations League rather then actually qualifying the traditional way, but regardless how North Macedonia qualified a historic footballing moment for both those countries.

Anyway all football fans are welcome to give there 2 cents on there respective nations and upcoming games, and just to kick things off for this thread, what are some of our Scottish friends thoughts & hopes for this tournament? @Erti147 @GKRT_PinkiiBoii @mikmakmok @Wedgybo

Last edited:

Wedgybo

Formula 4 1st Driver
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
To not come last in the group would be nice!

Wedgybo

Formula 4 1st Driver
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
They should have kept all the pubs shut until the group stages were over. Never performed as well as we have in lockdown in sport :D

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Premium Member
Aye if we get a win over the Czechs a reckon we'll get a draw wi Engerland. We'll then be at least in contention for qualification though best 3rd placed teams

but tbh we've already won having qualified

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Very impressive result by Italy tonight, sure I expected them to beat Turkey but not in such a convincing fashion as Turkey had beaten Holland only a few months ago in the World Cup qualifiers so thought it would be a closer game, either way Italy look very strong based on that performance.

Czech game is crucial for us, if we can sneak a win then there is a chance we can get out the group.
To not come last in the group would be nice!
Aye if we get a win over the Czechs a reckon we'll get a draw wi Engerland. We'll then be at least in contention for qualification though best 3rd placed teams

but tbh we've already won having qualified

Yeah Czech Rep. will likely be your best chance of a win in the group and who knows even just ending up with 3 points can be enough to qualify for the last 16. (as Portugal proved last Euro's with 3 draws in the group phase) Though while I'm expecting a tough game against you I'd be disappointed if we didn't win regardless of the group situation heading into it.;)

But yeah Erti, Scotland have nothing to lose really and theres no real pressure/expectations on them.

Anyway the only downside to our group though is whoever wins it will play the runners-up of Group F and I don't know about other people's thoughts but I would really prefer avoid having to play France/Germany or Portugal that early on...

Finally I thought it was a shame in a way there was no single country hosting this, as substitute Wales for Ireland and this could've actually happened at airport arrivals pre-tournament:

:ROFLMAO:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Obviously pretty shocking scenes in the Denmark-Finland game, thankfully it looks like Eriksen is going to be fine but jesus at one point I honestly thought we had just seen the man die, I know BBC said that they had no control of the tv coverage but its pretty disgraceful that no one there didn't just take the initiative and just cut back to the studio a lot sooner (like the moment when everyone could clearly see medics were starting to perform CPR on Eriksen), the tv coverage just went on far too long...

Anyway it totally overshadowed what should've been a football headline news and historic debut win for Finland, though questions might be asked why Denmark didn't decide to play the rest of the game tomorrow instead, as it would be completely understandable if the Danish players weren't in the right frame of mind when play resumed.

In the other games Switzerland were left scratching there heads wondering just how they ended up drawing with Wales, they were clearly the better team but paid the price for not putting Wales to bed.

And Belgium put Russia to the sword with a very convincing 3 - 0 win, and a bit scary when you add the fact that they didn't have De Bruyne playing.

Lastly its England's opening game tomorrow/today against Croatia, they have been a bit of a bogey team for us as over the past 15 years we played then 7 times (England winning 3, Croatia winning 3, 1 Draw), so I'm naturally expecting a tough game as overall they are a good side, but hopefully we should be able to win if we play well enough.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Well its a good start to England's campaign for a change with a 1-0 win, we had a very bright start to the game but then we were pretty average for the rest of it but thankfully one bit of good play ultimately made the difference, as for Croatia they didn't really trouble us too much but I'd be surprised if they don't improve in there remaining games, either way 3 points on the board means that qualification from the group is nearly done and at worse we only now need a point from the remaining 2 games.

In the other games North Macedonia unfortunately ran out of steam against Austria, but despite there loss it was a very good debut performance by them and they played good football in general.

Then last game was the best game of the day and tournament so far Holland-Ukraine in a 5 goal thriller, certainly didn't see Ukraine getting back into it from 2 down, but it was very entertaining.

Anyway the wait for Scotland's first game is nearly over as there the first game today against the Czechs, I think that'll be a tight game with probably 1 goal deciding it.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Have to admit Scotland were a bit unlucky but ultimately paid the price for not taking their chances, the Czechs took theres though that 2nd goal by Schick was incredible - I know its easy to just point and lay blame at the GK when something like that happens but thats was a hell of a hit and great accuracy from nearly the halfway line (it is also officially the longest ever goal scored in Euro's history beating the previous longest by about 10 yards), anyway this result obviously leaves Scotland with a mountain to climb to qualify now.

As for the other games Slovakia pulled of a minor upset by beating Poland, the notable thing in that match was the Polish GK getting credited with an own goal it meant that he now has the 'honour' of being the first GK ever to score a own goal in Euro's history.

The last game saw Spain fail to break down Sweden's and the tournament had its first goalless game as a result, Sweden's tactics worked well in the end and despite their lack of possession they arguably had the 2 best chances in the match, but I think they'll be pleased with a point regardless as for Spain they'll need to be a lot more clinical up front.

Finally today see's the last 2 games from the opening set of group matches with Hungary v Portugal first up, but the final game is something you would expect to see take place in the latter stages of the knockout phase not a opening group game - France v Germany!

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So the biggest game of the first round of group games saw France come out on top against Germany, I think it was a fair result overall France looked pretty dangerous going forward however it took a own goal to win it (a great finish by Hummels by the way) which is now the third own goal of the tournament so far and technically means Own Goal is winning the race for the Golden Boot!:LOL:

Though the bigger story from that game will probably be what looks like Rudiger doing his own impression of Suarez 2014 and biting Pogba in the back...o_O
Just madness by him and as it wasn't seen by the referee or VAR at the time, UEFA will be able to take disciplinary action against Rudiger but I have to question why would you do that in the first place.

Anyway in the other game Portugal eventually broke Hungary's resistance scoring though there first goal came at 84mins and took a lucky deflection and after that the floodgates sort of open as the scoreline ended up 3 - 0 which was a bit harsh I felt as sure Portugal deserved to win but not by 3 goals.

Well we've seen all 24 teams in action now and I know everyone played just once but from a England perspective based on the performances I've seen Italy, Belgium & France looked great and would be tough to beat, but jury's still out on Spain & Portugal though however surprisingly for a change Germany currently look quite beatable.

Finally the 3 games that will start the 2nd round of group games sees Finland v Russia, Turkey v Wales & Italy v Switzerland.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Well Italy once again looked great with a comfortable 3 - 0 win over the Swiss, I said before and I'll say it again there looking like a real threat to win it.

Meanwhile Wales pretty much booked their place in the last 16 with a very good win & performance over Turkey, I have to admit I've been extremely disappointed and surprised with Turkey and there performances so far, as in qualifying and pre-tournament it looked like they would be a tricky side for the top teams to beat and felt they might go as far as the last 8, however they've been woeful and they are probably out of the tournament now, they would need to beat the Swiss by about 4 goals at least to have any chance of progressing and I can't see that happening.

And in the other game Russia just did enough to beat Finland 1 - 0 to get there tournament back on track but qualification in that group is now wide open as a result.

Lastly the 3 games today see Ukraine v N. Macedonia, Denmark v Belgium & Holland v Austria.

France, Belgium and England look like they have a few more gears to go up. Would not be surprised to see Spain exit at the group stage.

I'd be surprised if Spain didn't get past the group stage, but if they still lack that killer instinct up top in the other 2 games then you never know.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Another good day of games, North Macedonia pushing Ukraine all the way in a close defeat sure it looks like there out of the tournament but they impressive & surprised quite a few people so far.

Meanwhile Holland got a pretty comfortable 2 - 0 win over Austria and in a highly emotional game for Denmark with Eriksen naturally a main focus of attention, Denmark paid the price for not taking there chances and made Belgium look very ordinary, it was only down to De Bryune coming on that they turned it around.

But theres another 3 games tomorrow and to be honest there only one I'm focused in its the big one, its finally here the wait is over:
1623975410425.png

I'm expecting a tough & tight game the difference in player quality means a lot less in a game like this, and it might require a moment of magic to make the difference, I'll think we'll win and just for the lol's I predict that moment of magic will come from Foden (Gazza) to score. (ala Euro '96);)

However the only thing I have to question is who in there right mind decided to have this game on a friday night, a lot fo people are just going get hammered (north and south of the border) and depending on the result theres going to be a lot of sore heads the morning after.:LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Obviously that was a pretty poor performance by England tonight and a disappointing result, sure a draw isn't the end of the world and I knew it could be a tough game but I still expected us to at least find a way to win this game especially considering it was the 'Auld Emeny', but I have to give the credit that Scotland deserve for how they played as you could clearly see they were alot more up for it tonight then us.

Of course had Stones scored that header instead of hitting the post early on then its a very different game but on the flipside we're fortunate that Scotland just lacked that little bit of extra quality upfront that would've won them the game.

Well the only positive to take is at least we've pretty much qualified but no doubts this should hopefully be used as a big wake up call to the team that, performances like that will only see a early exit in the knockouts again.

As for the other game Sweden just about grind out a win over Slovakia, and the Czechs with a draw against a so far under-performing Croatia now top our group and have pretty much qualified as well.

Tomorrow sees Hungary v France, Portugal v Germany & Spain v Poland, definitely very interested to see how Spain get on and how Portugal Germany goes.

MisterJasper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
0D9FC35B-2C74-4FD2-82BC-8C775D1DFD97.jpeg

The fact the Netherlands counts as “other” almost hurt me ;). And if I am realistic I dont see them winning the championship. But they atleast won their first 2 matches.

Unless France gets a bit unlucky I see them winning it. And France-Italy would be a match I would love to watch.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Well yesterday's game definitely didn't go how I thought they would, you had 2 surprises in Hungary doing Puskas proud by getting a draw against France (though France really should have won with all the chances they missed), Spain once again flattering to deceive and are now in serious jeopardy of not getting past the group stage sure you would expect them to beat Slovakia but on current form/evidence...

And Germany all of a sudden played like the team I think we all expected to see from the start and looked good, it means Portugal are now in a tricky spot with France as a last game, but thats the second round of group games finished and today will see the start of the final ones.

Italy have the luxury of resting players if they wish against Wales but they might want to keeps there starting team more or less the same as they've been the best team so far in the tournament and it might ruin there momentum heading into the knockouts, in the other game Turkey need a massive win over Switzerland to have any kind of chance to be one of the 4 3rd best teams but it seems like that just 3 points alone this time won't be enough to achieve that.

View attachment 125955
The fact the Netherlands counts as “other” almost hurt me ;). And if I am realistic I dont see them winning the championship. But they atleast won their first 2 matches.
To be fair you have a point after your first 2 games, and after England's performance against Scotland you can easily argue why are we on that list at all, with you guys (Holland) I think the reason I didn't include you individually was more that you guys had quality up front and able to score plenty of goals but don't really seem to have a solid defense to back it up.

In a way I think your first game against the Ukraine sort of proves my point about your defense but equally it can be argued what does it matter if you can simply outscore the opposition like you did lol.
(though that 4-2 defeat to Turkey in the WCQ a few months ago wasn't a result you would expect from potential Euro winners heading into this)

Either way your looking much better then England at the moment and have already won your group, who knows maintain the good attacking play and a bit of luck in the knockouts and you may very well go far.

MisterJasper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Well yesterday's game definitely didn't go how I thought they would, you had 2 surprises in Hungary doing Puskas proud by getting a draw against France (though France really should have won with all the chances they missed), Spain once again flattering to deceive and are now in serious jeopardy of not getting past the group stage sure you would expect them to beat Slovakia but on current form/evidence...

And Germany all of a sudden played like the team I think we all expected to see from the start and looked good, it means Portugal are now in a tricky spot with France as a last game, but thats the second round of group games finished and today will see the start of the final ones.

Italy have the luxury of resting players if they wish against Wales but they might want to keeps there starting team more or less the same as they've been the best team so far in the tournament and it might ruin there momentum heading into the knockouts, in the other game Turkey need a massive win over Switzerland to have any kind of chance to be one of the 4 3rd best teams but it seems like that just 3 points alone this time won't be enough to achieve that.

To be fair you have a point after your first 2 games, and after England's performance against Scotland you can easily argue why are we on that list at all, with you guys (Holland) I think the reason I didn't include you individually was more that you guys had quality up front and able to score plenty of goals but don't really seem to have a solid defense to back it up.

In a way I think your first game against the Ukraine sort of proves my point about your defense but equally it can be argued what does it matter if you can simply outscore the opposition like you did lol.
(though that 4-2 defeat to Turkey in the WCQ a few months ago wasn't a result you would expect from potential Euro winners heading into this)

Either way your looking much better then England at the moment and have already won your group, who knows maintain the good attacking play and a bit of luck in the knockouts and you may very well go far.
I am indeed only judging on the last 2 matches. After we missed 2016 Euro’s and 2018 World Championship we should just be happy to be here.

The Portugal-Germany game was a really fun game. And I hope Germany can pull trough and continue to the finals.