Who will get the 2nd Williams seat?

• Di Resta - He's still got it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
Seeing as the season is nearly finished thought I'd create this, I saw there where some other news stories during the Brazilian GP last weekend that weren't really mentioned here.

Firstly there were reports of Kubica having a 3rd test with Williams, which if true would definitely confirm they are seriously looking at replacing Massa with him.

But the bigger story was that Alonso is strongly linked to be racing Le Mans 24 next year with Toyota with a couple sources claiming its already more or less done, obviously it wouldn't be surprising though if McLaren actually somehow produce a championship challenging car next season would Alonso change his plans to focus on winning another F1 championship?

Also I had a good laugh reading this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41964197
Considering Hamilton's driving one of the most reliable combos of engine & car currently, he should not be moaning or complaining, if anything the 3 engine limit is likely to be a big advantage to Mercedes and Mercedes customer teams next season.

And finally news last night Toro Rosso have confirmed Gasly and Hartley as their drivers for 2018, I'm not surprised about Gasly though Hartley is, I don't think any of us really thought he was going to get a seat for 2018 when he was announced for the USGP, but to be fair he has done well since coming in and deserves his chance.

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
Some more news coming out last night, Liberty are looking to change the current F1 logo with one of these abominations::facepalm:

All have been filed as trademarks at the EUIPO, honestly whoever thought this was a good idea needs shooting as theres absolutely nothing wrong with the current one and it does the job well - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

xMinxG

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 1, 2016
Some more news coming out last night, Liberty are looking to change the current F1 logo with one of these abominations::facepalm:

All have been filed as trademarks at the EUIPO, honestly whoever thought this was a good idea needs shooting as theres absolutely nothing wrong with the current one and it does the job well - if it ain't broke don't fix it!
AHHH OH MY EYES!
nah they ain't all bad. Prefer it to stay but out of those 3 I would pick the bottom one.

xMinxG

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 1, 2016
Oh and something I did a few days ago for all of you to pleasure yourselfs with on the off season
Kyvat should seek other disciplines because if he comes back that will increase my dislikes on my goodbye kyvat video(16 dislikes to 14 likes....some people got offended) because "I was proven wrong"
If he does come back expect the first clip in this to be a reality

Martijn2702

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 31, 2016
Confirmed - Kubica to test for Williams at Abu Dhabi:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ubica-to-run-third-williams-test-in-abu-dhabi
Also interesting to note Sirotkin will be taking part in the Williams test as well.

And lastly Alonso recently tested the Toyota LMP1 car at Bahrain:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42050730
I could be wrong, but I think Alonso wasn't planning to drive the 24 hours of Le Mans next year. But with Porsche pulling out, and the future of the class unsure after the upcoming mega-season before the WEC goes on to be a winter series. He might have realised that this is one of the best (if not one of the last) possibilities to win Le Mans on his way to the triple crown. Since he'll only have one or two others cars to beat, both of them Toyota's of course. Besides the ByKolles and new Ginetta (?) LMP1 which are both nowhere near the pace of the hybrids, and both of those cars will encounter reliability issues. Although after last year I won't say the hybrids are reliable to say the least. It makes it even more impressive Audi dominante it for years. Their reliability was the best I've seen.

Alonso has an 33% chance of winning it. He's a very good driver, and in my opinion the best one in F1 at the moment. But endurance racing is so much more than an one and a half hour sprint race, where you every other week have another chance of a race win. It's almost an entire F1 season in one race. Reliability, negotiating slower classes, not crashing, and of course one of your teammates not crashing all play a far bigger role than Fernando's raw pace.

But won't go on about Le Mans too much since this thread is supposed to be about F1.:D

Last edited:

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
I could be wrong, but I think Alonso wasn't planning to drive the 24 hours of Le Mans next year. But with Porsche pulling out, and the future of the class unsure after the upcoming mega-season before the WEC goes on to be a winter series. He might have realised that this is one of the best (if not one of the last) possibilities to win Le Mans on his way to the triple crown. Since he'll only have one or two others cars to beat, both of them Toyota's of course. Besides the ByKolles and new Ginetta (?) LMP1 which are both nowhere near the pace of the hybrids, and both of those cars will encounter reliability issues. Although after last year I won't say the hybrids are reliable to say the least. It makes it even more impressive Audi dominante it for years. Their reliability was the best I've seen.

Alonso has an 33% chance of winning it. He's a very good driver, and in my opinion the best one in F1 at the moment. But endurance racing is so much more than an one and a half hour sprint race, where you every other week have another chance of a race win. It's almost an entire F1 season in one race. Reliability, negotiating slower classes, not crashing, and of course one of your teammates not crashing all play a far bigger role than Fernando's raw pace.

But won't go on about Le Mans too much since this thread is supposed to be about F1.:D
Yeah its a great opportunity for Alonso though theres so many variables in the race that his fate will very much be in the hands of not just his teammates and the other 2 Porsches but Porsches reliability as well.

Though if he does win it make him the third driver on the current 2018 grid with a Le Mans 24 win on his CV like Hulkenburg and Hartley!

However imagine if Alonso doesn't win Le Mans but Hulkenburg wins Monaco next year or Hartley even! Either would then be just one away from the triple crown themselves, but that's extremely unlikely for Hartley in a Toro Rosso Honda you would think, however Hulkenburg and Renault though - hmm I wonder...there might just be a possibility.

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
So while the season has only just finished 2 days ago tyre testing for 2018 began today, Kubica looking very good after todays test with 100 laps completed, setting what seems a very respectable lap time & probably one step closer to a Williams seat for next year also Pirelli's new hypersoft made its debut:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...00-laps-in-2017-williams-at-f1-abu-dhabi-test

Also thoughts of Hamilton & Alonso on the new tyres:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-by-hypersoft-tyres-in-pirelli-abu-dhabi-test

One thing that did concern me is what Alonso said 'the degradation was under control' obviously this was only a test session and surely Pirelli can still make changes to the degradation of tyres I'd like to think, but if these compounds are set in stone already then based on that comment by Alonso, Pirelli might not have been aggressive enough with the degradation, the last thing we need is another year of easy 1 stop races.

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
Oh yeah and its happened, the F1 logo was changed to this after the race on sunday:

:arghh:
Absolute rubbish the only positive is they didn't choose the first one out of the 3 they patented last week.

Wobbuffet

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 20, 2016
It now official Alfa Romeo are returning to F1 next year:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/11/alfa-romeo-to-return-to-f1-with-sauber.html

Clearly a strengthening of the links between Ferrari & Sauber, this should also confirm Leclerc a seat and expect either Ericsson or Giovanazzi to take the other. Most will liken this Alfa-Sauber partnership as Sauber becoming a proper Ferrari junior team similar to Red Bull - Toro Rosso.

Also the 2nd day of testing was completed at Abu Dhabi today with Kubica once again being the main attention:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ica-sets-williams-best-time-at-abu-dhabi-test

xMinxG

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 1, 2016
AHHH OH MY EYES!
nah they ain't all bad. Prefer it to stay but out of those 3 I would pick the bottom one.
.....I'm the reason all this stupid backlash existed......I chose that logo....well see you guys later. gonna go back in time.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
I actually think next season that TR and AR are basically going to switch positions. Mercedes that little bit ahead of the rest but beatable. Red Bull about a tenth or two ahead of Ferrari with a similar gap back to Mclaren. Force India doing their usual best of the rest in 5th, with Renault beating Williams to 6th because of superior drivers. Ericsson will prove to be better than people expect, but still get beat by Leclerc, but they both get points and finish 8th overall, ahead of Haas. Toro Rosso won't score points on merit and will be the clear backmarker.

Mercedes
0.2 gap
Red Bull
0.1 gap
Ferrari
0.1 gap
Mclaren
0.5+ gap
Force India
0.2 gap
Renault
Williams
0.2 gap
Saulfa Romeo
Haas
0.5+ gap
Toro Rosso.

Bcolt93

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Oct 24, 2014
My way too early predictions for next year are
Red Bull (Max WDC) - Renault take a big enough step and Max continues to develop
Merc - will likely win the Constructors on reliability but wont be the best car
Ferrari - will be interesting to see how their driver line-up plays out with the Big 3 fighting for the title
McLaren - not quite there yet
Renault - see above, but with a slightly worse chassis
Force India - two good drivers, but that Merc engine won't get them as far as it did this year
Williams - Williams are having to start over with a brand new car. Stroll showed flashes but needs to be consistent. Teammate needs to be good as well
Sauber - solid driver line-up and a real engine in the car. They could be on for a resurgence back to the midfield in a couple years
Haas - terrible team that got exposed at the end of this year. would be ranked last if it wasn't for Toro Rosso.
Toro Rosso - worst driver pairing and engine by a country mile on the grid which was demonstrated in the closing races with a car capable of scoring points no where near. They will finish last by a long way.

Marvin

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff Member
PCARS Coordinator
Aug 6, 2016
According to Motorsport.com Sirotkin will be the second driver at Williams alongside Stroll. They say he's very close to signing the contract. He's bringing about 15 million euros sponsor money with him.

Tigerkart_22

AOR Podcast Quiz Multiple Winner
Premium Member
Sep 14, 2014
Sirotkin. Was brilliant first year in GP2. Personally was a little disappointed with his second year but still a top 3 driver.