F1 off season & pre-season 2020-2021

Out of these 10 races, what do you think are the 3 most impressive winning drives?

• Schumacher (Ferrari) Spain 1996

• Barrichello (Ferrari) Germany (Hockenheim) 2000

• Raikkonen (McLaren) Japan (Suzuka) 2005

• Button (Honda) Hungary 2006

• Hamilton (McLaren) Britain 2008

• Vettel (Toro Rosso) Italy 2008

• Button (McLaren) Canada 2011

• Alonso (Ferrari) European (Valencia) 2012

• Hamilton (Mercedes) Turkey 2020

• Perez (Racing Point) Sakhir 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Thought I might as well start this up since the season is over, obviously we've still got a couple seats left to be announced though one of the worst kept secrets in the last couple months finally got announced a couple days ago as Tsunoda is replacing Kyvat at Alpha Tauri, now we just wait to see who RB announce and Hamilton to sign a new contract for Mercedes.

As for the poll well I've decided to do something very different (its based over the last 25 years only) and as you can see will likely be very much open to everyone's own opinion, for a change I've given you 3 votes as honestly trying to pick out the best winning drive out of those 10 races would be extremely tough, I think selecting a top 3 is just about doable and fair, every race I selected has its own merits and arguments, and honestly for me theres no right or wrong answer for this, its pure personal opinion.

The first 8 are regarded as all time classics and the two 2020 races will likely be considered that as well in time, but in all of these races these drivers who won were outstanding for many different reasons, some were just about pure dominance or a flawless excellent performance, while some of these were against all odds. (and just to note 4 of these 10 were first ever GP wins for those drivers)

I will add I'm sure others will see this poll and think, how could you leave this/that race out - they had a great win, so just to state a few more I did consider:

Schumacher, Belgium 1995
He won from 16th in this race but crossed the line in whats fair while battling and defending from Hill for the lead, and Schumacher got a suspended 1 race ban for it, so unfortunately it tainted this win for me.

Herbert, European (Nurburgring) 1999
It was an incredible race but it was more about the lead drivers falling of the road then Herbert driving through the field, still a great story & race though.

Verstappen, Spain 2016
Again a driver who won his first race in his first race for RB no less, but with both Mercedes taking it each other out on lap 1 it sort off takes the shine of it a little bit, no arguments great drive but...

Hamilton, Germany 2018
Another one of Hamilton's great races, but for me him starting outside the top 10 actually helped him as he was on the optimal tyre strategy for this race and then Seb fell of the track from the lead in damp conditions...

Gasly, Italy 2020
Another one of the incredible races from the season just finished, though Gasly was definitely helped more by circumstance then anything else with the red flag & Hamilton's penalty.

So that was 5 others I considered and it wouldn't surprise me if you thinking of others, though 1 that really should have happened and was only denied because of a 50p washer that would've made this poll - Hill, Hungary 1997, had Hill (who was over 30 seconds ahead with 3 laps to go) won that race in the Arrows then that would have got one of my 3 votes without doubt, but its one of the races that will long go down in F1 folklore for decades to come.

Anyway for some of you it wouldn't surprise me if a few of these races were before your time, so before you do your vote have a look and watch them you won't regret it.

And just to get the ball rolling as I'm curious, @Erti147 out of those 2 Hamilton wins in that poll which would you say was the better one?

(just noticed my 4000th post):cool:

Last edited:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So RB have finally made a decision and a popular one it is:

I think for Albon it was a simple case of too little to late, if he had drove as he did at Abu Dhabi for the whole season then I suspect he would've retained his seat, as it is though I'm sure we're all interested to see how Perez performs in comparison against Mad Max.

All thats left is Hamilton & Merc now.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So we're now after xmas day and Hamilton still hasn't signed a new contract yet, slightly surprising since Wolff and Hamilton both said it should be done before xmas and as things stand we're now technically less then a week away from Hamilton being out of contract and no longer a Mercedes driver, surely we'll get an announcement of some kind before the new year.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Happy Lewis Hamilton is officially unemployed day.
Were you counting the minutes down to midnight yesterday just to say this?;)

Either way that is a true statement currently as it stands, Hamilton is not a Mercedes driver at the moment - unless they got the contract signed between them at some point over the last few days but for whatever reason haven't announced it, though logically that sounds doubtful.

Keeping an eye on Hamilton's contract situation over the past few months, we've seen Merc/Wolff's & Hamilton's stance on when it should be done change a few times now:

Early part of the season it was no rush/not the right time to talk about it & money with the financial impact covid is having on the average joe. (which was the correct/right thing to do at the time)

Then it was Hamilton saying once the championship was won it would get sorted, which eventually became they'll sort it during the last couple races.

Then Hamilton got covid and the goalposts were moved once again to after the final race, which once again eventually turned into we'll get finally done before xmas.

Well Xmas has now gone and with it being 1/1/2021 - Hamilton's contract with Merc has officially ended.

At this point if we don't hear an announcement within the next 7 days then the longer this goes on the more likely it is that they ain't able to agree a new contract. (for whatever reason - money would likely be my bet for the number 1 reason)
Though personally I'm half expecting it to happen and be announced on Monday if it doesn't happen then...well I might consider at that point having a cheeky speculation bet on Russell to win the championship this year.:sneaky:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Were you counting the minutes down to midnight yesterday just to say this?;)

Either way that is a true statement currently as it stands, Hamilton is not a Mercedes driver at the moment - unless they got the contract signed between them at some point over the last few days but for whatever reason haven't announced it, though logically that sounds doubtful.

Keeping an eye on Hamilton's contract situation over the past few months, we've seen Merc/Wolff's & Hamilton's stance on when it should be done change a few times now:

Early part of the season it was no rush/not the right time to talk about it & money with the financial impact covid is having on the average joe. (which was the correct/right thing to do at the time)

Then it was Hamilton saying once the championship was won it would get sorted, which eventually became they'll sort it during the last couple races.

Then Hamilton got covid and the goalposts were moved once again to after the final race, which once again eventually turned into we'll get finally done before xmas.

Well Xmas has now gone and with it being 1/1/2021 - Hamilton's contract with Merc has officially ended.

At this point if we don't hear an announcement within the next 7 days then the longer this goes on the more likely it is that they ain't able to agree a new contract. (for whatever reason - money would likely be my bet for the number 1 reason)
Though personally I'm half expecting it to happen and be announced on Monday if it doesn't happen then...well I might consider at that point having a cheeky speculation bet on Russell to win the championship this year.:sneaky:

I mean Toto said in Abu Dhabi that they have until winter (technically spring) testing in March to sign the contract.
I read an article earlier that Hamilton had a contract offer on the table at the Turkish GP but Daimler stepped in at the last minute and said they weren't willing to pay the 50 Million a year for 3 years that Hamilton wanted then obviously he got covid and now here we are.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
I mean Toto said in Abu Dhabi that they have until winter (technically spring) testing in March to sign the contract.
I read an article earlier that Hamilton had a contract offer on the table at the Turkish GP but Daimler stepped in at the last minute and said they weren't willing to pay the 50 Million a year for 3 years that Hamilton wanted then obviously he got covid and now here we are.
That is true I do recall that myself, though I felt that was Wolff trying to play down the length of time to get a contract sorted in reality.

Theres also the fact that driver salaries at each team will have a total cap to them in 2023, so obviously that immediately doesn't work for Hamilton in terms of trying to get a 3 year deal at £40mil+ each year.
Then you have the new potential issue that I see on the immediate horizon this new faster strain of covid that has appeared which could easily cause more problems this year, with countries starting to go into lockdown again that naturally causes big issues financially, I said it a month or two ago but Hamilton has to be careful he doesn't price himself out of Mercedes.

As Russell opened the eyes of many around F1 and showed in his stand in race, he's more then capable of doing the same job that Hamilton's done over the past couple years, ie: able to beat Bottas & he'll do it at a fraction of what Hamilton costs.:LOL:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Two more bits of news, Norris now has Covid:

And Mercedes will provide more parts to Williams from 2022:

Meanwhile alot of speculation over what exactly is going on with Hamilton & Merc regarding contract talks, with rumours like 'Hamilton rejected a $40Mil + 10% champ. winning bonus' from Merc, or Hamilton having a 'list' of demands for his new contract.
I guess all we can do is watch this space but I personally believe this has to be decided one way or another by mid February, as no doubt Merc's back up plan will be Russell and with winter testing start of March, he will need to have a new seat fitted for him for there new car, plus Merc making the minor adjustments to the car's cockpit due to his height and those 2 things will take a little bit of time I would think.

ossianjd_16

Junior Karter
lol idont think george will be in the seat of the mercedes f1 car next year replacing hamilton but yes they havent got much time

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Meanwhile alot of speculation over what exactly is going on with Hamilton & Merc regarding contract talks, with rumours like 'Hamilton rejected a $40Mil + 10% champ. winning bonus' from Merc, or Hamilton having a 'list' of demands for his new contract.
I guess all we can do is watch this space but I personally believe this has to be decided one way or another by mid February, as no doubt Merc's back up plan will be Russell and with winter testing start of March, he will need to have a new seat fitted for him for there new car, plus Merc making the minor adjustments to the car's cockpit due to his height and those 2 things will take a little bit of time I would think.
Even if Hamilton isn't in the car in 21 I would expect him to take a sabbatical while they come to an agreement and replace Bottas in 22.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Even if Hamilton isn't in the car in 21 I would expect him to take a sabbatical while they come to an agreement and replace Bottas in 22.
Should it happen then I'd be looking out for that word 'sabbatical' especially in any official statement by Mercedes or Hamilton, if theres no mention of that word then it would more then suggest that the relationship between the two soured to much during the failed contract negotiations and Hamilton will either be retiring or looking for a different team for 2022.

I know maybe Merc's negotiation team should hire 'this guy' instead to negotiate with Hamilton, if they get fed up with his apparent outrageous financial demands:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So the Chinese GP has now joined Australia in postponing there race:

And as a result F1 have now done and announced and updated & revised calendar, with Imola now on the calendar:
1610471601644.png

But Liberty still hanging on to the hope of a 23 race season at the moment...o_O

Also thoughts @Steve Jackson on McLaren signing an option to join Formula E for 2022:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
So the Chinese GP has now joined Australia in postponing there race:

And as a result F1 have now done and announced and updated & revised calendar, with Imola now on the calendar:
View attachment 124422

But Liberty still hanging on to the hope of a 23 race season at the moment...o_O

Also thoughts @Steve Jackson on McLaren signing an option to join Formula E for 2022:
I think it's inevitable in the near future that F1 as currently existing will hinge upon the continuation of Ferrari. As soon as they go (and you'd have to think it may be soon given their current state) then the remaining teams will agree to 'make' series on cost grounds and maybe McLaren are just spreading their options sooner now that Fe is out of the nascent stage (early teams, early tech).

If you want me to guess about the longevity of F1 then the 'new' PU regs; if they provide insufficient traction for Ferrari then they'll consider their position. I can't see them rolling the dice a second time, so a conclusion (or shift) before 2030 looks likely.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
I think it's inevitable in the near future that F1 as currently existing will hinge upon the continuation of Ferrari. As soon as they go (and you'd have to think it may be soon given their current state) then the remaining teams will agree to 'make' series on cost grounds and maybe McLaren are just spreading their options sooner now that Fe is out of the nascent stage (early teams, early tech).

If you want me to guess about the longevity of F1 then the 'new' PU regs; if they provide insufficient traction for Ferrari then they'll consider their position. I can't see them rolling the dice a second time, so a conclusion (or shift) before 2030 looks likely.
For FE it would be a bit of a coup if they get McLaren to join however on the flipside the series is losing Audi & BMW from there ranks after this year (which are 2 massive manufacturers), which says a lot about what they currently think of the future direction of where the series is heading.

Yet as you say F1 is sort of reaching a crossroads with regards to the next standard engine it wants to use in the future, you would like to hope though that whatever is that 'next engine' it surely can't be as big as a failure as what the hybrid era has been.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
And we have our first livery reveal of the year albeit whats being called a 'temporary winter livery' it is from the 'new team' Alpine (basically Renault):
1610640688677.png

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Meanwhile its still all quiet on the Hamilton contract front, where now in mid-January & it really is starting to look like nothing will be officially announced by either party until February.

Though something I have been keeping an eye on is the betting markets, as they tend to be more in the know and over the past couple days Russell's odds for the WDC have been in general halved on all betting sites, (was as big as 33/1 now as short as 10/1) so make of that what you will.