F1 off season & pre-season 2020-2021

Out of these 10 races, what do you think are the 3 most impressive winning drives?

• Schumacher (Ferrari) Spain 1996

• Barrichello (Ferrari) Germany (Hockenheim) 2000

• Raikkonen (McLaren) Japan (Suzuka) 2005

• Button (Honda) Hungary 2006

• Hamilton (McLaren) Britain 2008

• Vettel (Toro Rosso) Italy 2008

• Button (McLaren) Canada 2011

• Alonso (Ferrari) European (Valencia) 2012

• Hamilton (Mercedes) Turkey 2020

• Perez (Racing Point) Sakhir 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Meanwhile its still all quiet on the Hamilton contract front, where now in mid-January & it really is starting to look like nothing will be officially announced by either party until February.

Though something I have been keeping an eye on is the betting markets, as they tend to be more in the know and over the past couple days Russell's odds for the WDC have been in general halved on all betting sites, (was as big as 33/1 now as short as 10/1) so make of that what you will.
Probably just people putting money on him because betting sites put out tweets like this to bait people.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Probably just people putting money on him because betting sites put out tweets like this to bait people.
But that tweet was done last week, if there was a sudden mass influx of money on Russell then the odds on him would've been shorten a day or two after the date of that tweet, that fact that its happened mainly today across all betting sites suggests it less about people betting on Russell but more on what their hearing.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
So we're now into the last week of January and we're still none the wiser as to whether Hamilton is signing, though we have heard from Wolff today:

I find it quite incredible a deal being done with Hamilton is now stated by Wolff 'At some point we will finalise it', basically I would take that as an admission the timeframe they'll give it is to early March if needs be, thats pretty much the complete opposite from what Wolff was saying at the beginning of Autumn.

And slightly off topic its been a busy week for former driver Jenson Button not only is now a senior advisor for Williams:

Button will be taking part in Extreme E and driving for his own team:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Right we're now in February and still no Merc/Hamilton contract announcement, though surely this situation has to come to a head this month and I think mid-February (15th-22nd at the latest) is when this will be sorted out one way or another.

As Russell (who will get the call no doubt in a no deal between Merc/Hamilton outcome) needs not just a new seat fitting for Merc but considering his height, the car's cockpit itself may need changes made to it so that it can accommodate him and fit him more comfortably, and all of that takes time plus with testing starting mid-March and being at a premium as its only 3 days.

But of course for all we know a new contract may have already been signed, however on the flipside if at this point it still hasn't happened, then Merc right now would be pretty foolish not making plans for Russell driving for them instead.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Right we're now in February and still no Merc/Hamilton contract announcement, though surely this situation has to come to a head this month and I think mid-February (15th-22nd at the latest) is when this will be sorted out one way or another.

As Russell (who will get the call no doubt in a no deal between Merc/Hamilton outcome) needs not just a new seat fitting for Merc but considering his height, the car's cockpit itself may need changes made to it so that it can accommodate him and fit him more comfortably, and all of that takes time plus with testing starting mid-March and being at a premium as its only 3 days.

But of course for all we know a new contract may have already been signed, however on the flipside if at this point it still hasn't happened, then Merc right now would be pretty foolish not making plans for Russell driving for them instead.
At this point I wont be surprised whatever happens now but the most likely outcome imo is that they will agree to a 1 year extension Hamilton will get his 8th title along with 110 poles and at least 105 wins and he will decided to hang up his helmet at the end of the year.

They could just as easily have already signed a 3 year deal and just be stringing everyone along though.

You have to imagine if they were going to put Russell in the car they would have announced it already as the car will need changing for him to fit in to it unless that's the reason they are revealing the car so late to give them time to do just that.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Well we got our answer yesterday:

Though I think the general reaction by most fans is one of surprise at the length of the deal, its just 1 year - this can easily give people the idea that this year will be Hamilton's last or both parties were at an impasse or struggling over a longer length and could only just about get this deal over the line.

(Interested on your thoughts on this @Erti147 - does just the one year surprise you & do you think he's intending to call it a day after this year regardless what happens?)

Anyway thats the grid for this season sorted now we await the official car launches and testing.

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Premium Member
he'll sign on another year after that, then maybe 1 year after that. Definitely gone by end of 2023. As much as i think he could go another 6 or 7 years lol

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
he'll sign on another year after that, then maybe 1 year after that. Definitely gone by end of 2023. As much as i think he could go another 6 or 7 years lol
I mean sure I can see him staying for 2022, but I think any further years after that will be fully dependent on whether he likes or enjoys racing the new era of cars, though I think I have to agree with @iJokeri22 rating to a degree that your being a tad optimistic if you think he'll hang around for another 5 years - he's no Kimi, I highly doubt we'll see Hamilton racing in F1 when he reaches 40!

Meanwhile in other news Liberty have ditched the idea of reverse grid sprint races and are now trying just for 3 sprint races with points given to be tested out at selected events this season:

Have to confess not a fan of this idea especially the part of giving out points for these sprint races, all it'll do is see a procession at the front as less risk taken by the front drivers, because of the simple fear that any kind of incident would mean they start at/towards the back for the proper race on sunday.

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Premium Member
need 3 teams to vote against, and Merc like this idea more than reverse races so they might make it pass

imagine it goes through and they had it for a full season, have to give them about 10 power units a season

and Monaco would be even worse

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
They should have done some kind of championship order grid invert for this sprint idea (like not reverse all the grid but top 10 or something), simply doing a standard qualy for it will likely just result in a boring procession at the front.

But yeah if they pick tracks like Monaco for this 'experiment' we'll have to give up.

FORMULA1FAN71

F1 1st Driver
DB1B8E9A-2AFE-48DC-835D-0749A63ADB9C.jpeg
CD2D2009-8CA6-483A-8155-D5BDE1328ABE.jpeg
1613075541366.jpeg

a lot going on rn.
Also, anyone think that portimao or imola will be on the F1 game for this year? I think it’s a bit optimistic, and maybe just dlc if any tbh. I think they will go ahead with the normally scheduled calendar, which even then looking at it will still feature Portimao as it will be the replacement for the TBC race. But, their will probably be other cancellations and replacements and like 2020 I don’t see them putting them in the game.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
View attachment 124914 View attachment 124915 View attachment 124916
a lot going on rn.
Also, anyone think that portimao or imola will be on the F1 game for this year? I think it’s a bit optimistic, and maybe just dlc if any tbh. I think they will go ahead with the normally scheduled calendar, which even then looking at it will still feature Portimao as it will be the replacement for the TBC race. But, their will probably be other cancellations and replacements and like 2020 I don’t see them putting them in the game.
If Codies care about their game even a tiny bit then they will be in if they don't then they wont, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hope Alonso is ok heard a report that he has a broken jaw which tbh would be good news if that's all he has when you consider what happened to Webber or even Nicky Hayden.

FORMULA1FAN71

F1 1st Driver
McLaren first to launch their car. Same as last year with different rainbow design on side pods and more blue on the nose.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
The 3rd team to unveil there car is Alfa Romeo:

Like the AT I think this years Alfa looks better then last years, but its does remind me of the 1999 Williams in a way, anyway the Red Bull should be unveiled tomorrow.

iJokeri22

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
2nd team to launch there car is Alpha Tauri:

I like the look of this years AT more then last years one.
Definitely prefer this to the 2020 livery.
The 3rd team to unveil there car is Alfa Romeo:

Like the AT I think this years Alfa looks better then last years, but its does remind me of the 1999 Williams in a way, anyway the Red Bull should be unveiled tomorrow.
It looks good but would be nice if there was a little bit more red on the front imo

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
Meanwhile as the Formula E weekend came to a close yesterday night, this happened:

Just a reminder Saudi Arabia will be making its F1 debut this season...