PS4 - F3 - Season 12 - Reflections | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 F3 - Season 12 - Reflections

YabbaTheHutt

Super Moderator and PCars Overseer
Staff member
Super Moderator
PCARS Coordinator
Mar 13, 2016
A simple little thread if you have any reflections, feedback or anything else you want to share after the season :)

YabbaTheHutt

Super Moderator and PCars Overseer
Staff member
Super Moderator
PCARS Coordinator
Mar 13, 2016
My reflection over this season has to be "not at all as I wanted". There are 3 reasons why the season didn't go as I wanted.

First: I wanted too much and signed up for 3 different league. F1, DTM and GT3. I hoped that I would learn things to improve my driving but it was too much racing, practise time was hard to find (goes together with my second reason).

Second: Work! The autumn was one of the toughest work peroids of my life. This gave me almost no time to practise for anything. Many races in F1 with only some TT before the race.

Third: Motivation dropped. This happened after the christmas period. Did tons of practise for Hungary, Hockenheim and Spa. The result of these three races was; a game crash in quali at Hungary, being ill and missed Hockenheim but at Spa I did get points, even after a crash on the first lap. After those 2 points at Spa my motivation died. The only reason that I stayed is because of you guys (y) I haven't been driving in another league where the patience with someone that is being lapped so many times like me. You are simply awesome :joyful:

I will not be back for season 13. I have never really got on terms with F1 2016. I'm very used to PCars where I have much more options when it comes to ffb and overall feeling of the car. Will check out F1 2017, new regulations and cars with more mechanical grip, which might suit me better. Maybe I will comeback for season 14 ;)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
My reflection or looking back as I normally call it, simply unbelievable.

When I had my debut back in Bahrain I had no real expectations and was very unsure how I would do and of course I was only a reserve for the first 2 races (Bahrain and China). Despite not scoring points in either of those races (which was because I was unlucky in both) I realised I had enough pace to be a regular contender for points.

So once I became a full-time driver from Russia onwards my original target I gave myself for the rest of the season, was to try and finish in the top 10 in the championship and challenge for a podium finish, I surprised myself by achieving that in Spain despite starting on the back row and that gave me all the confidence I needed to push on.

And a few races later I won at Austria and I didn't look back, I picked up 3 more wins and ended up challenging for a championship at the death but it wasn't meant to be. But when I look back I'm thrilled with what I achieved it was way beyond my expectations, I know some people would give an arm or a leg (probably;)) to just to finish on the podium let alone win, so as a result I've never taken the success I've had this season for granted.

The bad moments there were a few, Germany finishing 3rd - that was a race I felt I should have won and tonight at Abu Dhabi is up there for me, but Baku was my real low point of the season, I ended up ruining @chris130256 race and getting him dsq'ed at the start because I lost the rear with wheelspin and turned into him on the exit of turn 2:(, and then a couple corners later I had my race ended by @Ben hughes, who unfortunately misjudged his speed and grip (with no front wing) and plowed into me causing me to retire and himself.:rage:

At the time it was probably the only occasion where I've been completely outraged while racing in AOR, though while 2 wrongs don't make a right on reflection later on after I calmed down, I realised that it was karma biting me in the ass for causing Chris to get dsq'ed. (Though that race was one I was really looking forward too)

The good moments theres been many, in terms of my high point of the season race wise I can't really separate Austria and Monza for different reasons, Austria scene of my first ever win (after starting 21st and last) it was a great drive but it wasn't the perfect drive (yes surprisingly) also the fact the tyre wear glitch played a part it does take a little bit of the gloss of it.
Monza however I was just on a different level that night, despite only having to do 2 simple passes and the start giving me the biggest concern, this is probably the real high point of the season as I didn't put a foot wrong but more importantly I did the perfect race.:cigar:

With my favourite overtake (I had to do a ton of overtaking this season), while there a few passes that I really enjoyed and believe it or not my own personal favourite of the season, was me being overtaken by @pete day reason why - at Monaco on the final lap I had a bad exit entering the tunnel Pete who was just behind pulled up alongside and we went side by side through the entire tunnel and didn't make any contact, before he expertly broke on the inside for the chicane and passed me completely clean that was outstanding to experience, despite costing me a place.(y)

As for racing against everyone else it has been absolute joy (even you @Philip_66 give a while and I'll eventually forgive you for tonight:grumpy:), the racing has been so clean in general and its a testament to everyone I've raced against and battled with, which is everyone at some point.

Lastly as for the future, I'm intending to race in season 13 but if I am honest I'm hoping that I will race in GP2/F2 next season, don't get me wrong I don't have delusions of grandeur, but I feel over the season I've shown enough pace and great results to hopefully merit a chance at the tier above.

As I always want to challenge myself and without doubt when @dFlashAshb somehow got demoted to our tier it certainly made me raise my game, I've been vocal enough to some extent in the last quarter of the season regarding Ash and his 'pace' and without doubt we all know he didn't belong in our tier, but he was and while he was a massive pain in the backside to have to race against, simply because his pace was easily to quick for most of us and he look after his tyres well beyond what most of us could do, but I'm actually pleased I got to race against him.

To be able to race against and beat him on a few occasions on merit was really satisfying and gives me the belief and confidence that I can push on from here for next season, regardless of the tier I'm in.(y)

Lastly a big thank you to @YabbaTheHutt, @pete day & @Defiant195 this season for there hosting and being co-ord's for the season, I wish everyone the best for the future hopefully our paths will all cross again.:)

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Overall this season has been very frustrating with a few decent moments in there. The first part of my season was spent at the back of the grid in GP2 and my motivation was at an all time low since I was never meant to be in that tier (although I should have scored points at Sochi).

Moving to F3 gave me a second wind. P4 at Austria was great for a first race in this tier. Other than Austria and Singapore, I look back at my other 4th placed finish with disappointment as a podium was a real possibility. Malaysia where I lost 3rd on the penultimate lap was hard to take. Spa was my biggest low point since on pure race pace, it's my strongest track. I was almost certainly going to get a podium there but I crashed out in the race. Whenever I did qualify well, I choked in the race. I couldn't even get a bleeding podium on the two occasions when I started on the front row so I guess it wasn't meant to be this season. I had no goals in regards to my championship finishing position since I joined late but my points tally is lower than I would have liked. The last couple races have left a very bad taste in my mouth because I was on for strong results in both of them and ended with 0 points so I have a hunger to do better next season.

My personal overtake of the season? There have been a few to be honest but the couple that spring to mind are the one on @Marcus Lindblom in S2 at Austria and one on @Dale Stones around the outside of T4 at Brazil. I pulled off a sweet one on @blake300892 in last night's race around the outside of the left hander after you go underneath the hotel (with an orange wing) but I have no motivation to even edit that video let alone upload it.

I hope we manage to keep most of this tier together. I understand that a few won't be coming back for next season so we will see some new faces.

I've learnt a lot this season and had some enjoyable battling but next season, I WILL be on the podium. I'm tired of 4th place and I'm not saying that because I'm an Arsenal fan.

Bring on season 13.

chris130256

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Really enjoyed the season and fulfilled my season ambition of beating @pete day!:p
Had some great battles along the way and think the standard of racing has been very high. Clean, fair and competitive as the league motto says!
Good to be racing some new faces too. And made some new league friends.
Big congrats to Neil on being champion and well done to @OurRobOrRoss and @dFlashAshb for demoting me to 4th in the 2nd half of the season.
Like I said last night thanks to the co'ds for the work they put in during the season and many thanks to @YabbaTheHutt who always got the results up by the end of the night. Great work.
Roll on next season and I hope its as good as this one?
Cheers guys. Chris.

Dale Stones

Formula 3 1st Driver
May 10, 2015
Been a brilliant season. This has been the best league I have raced in for sure. Although we have had a few lows on the way, the respect we have for each other when on the track is brilliant. I have not had to report anyone to the stewards, which for me says it all. Coming into the season I wasn't sure what to expect. It had been a few years since I last did a league race here. I was expecting to be near the back of the field to be honest. But in the end, I've managed to exceed expectations and pick up a couple of podiums and scored points consistently.

The season started well with a strong showing in Australia and a 2nd place in China. Russia, Spain, Monaco and Baku were races to forget for various reasons, but from Austria on, things improved. My motivations levels increased and despite not exactly finishing high up in the standings each race, I soon started scoring points at nearly every event.

The Christmas break kind of came at the wrong time and it took me a good few weeks to get going again. Points in Hungary and Germany were soon followed by a shocker in Spa. Feeling good after practice, the race went from bad to worse with constant silly errors. 8th and 5th in Italy and Singapore was followed by the race of the season for me. Malaysia. A race long scrap with @DON SILVA produced my highlight of the season. The way we swapped places lap after lap. We were just unable to break each others slipstream for some reason. @dFlashAshb then came along and joined in the fun for a couple of laps as well. 3rd at the end of a brilliant race. The next 4 races were poor before the finale in Abu Dhabi and my best performance of the season personally. Another podium and a great way to end a brilliant season.

Cheers everyone for a brilliant season. Shoutout to @blake300892 for being a great team mate. I'm still waiting for you to let me through for team orders though :lol: Look forward to racing with most of you next season. See you then!

Last edited:

blake300892

F1 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Haha you've definitely got 2 or 3 in the bank that's for sure.

If I return next season I'll try to repay some favours!

Everytime you had a strong race I was either up there too...or more often too far behind to even help!

Reactions: Dale Stones

Wimstradamus

AOR PS4 GT3 S12 T5 Champion
Premium Member
May 7, 2016
Had a lot fun and good races, really love this community.
Races are well organized, rules are clear and the drivers (in this tier at least) where gentlemens (most of the time ;) )
For a rookie year in f1 i can look back satisfied, was getting better as the season continued so ending p11 overall is not bad.
Definitely gonna be back for f1 2017, for now i'm going endurance racing on sunday.

blake300892

F1 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Well a long awaited return to online league racing - in honesty my heart never really got back into it like it once used to but its still been a laugh!

Well 1st half of the season was pretty decent - being unaware on the now infamous tyre glitch meant I always qualified and did quite well - with the mentality of being out of the main pack and minimizing the chance of incidents.

First 5 races saw points from 4 - with the anomaly being China where I was running strong in top 5 but a puncture early on my in lap crippled the race and I believe there was no SC at this point still so had no chance of salvaging everything so just got round in 16th.

Next up Monaco and street circuits which turned out to be the 2 highlights of my season!

Knowing it was more about patience and tidy driving rather than raw speed was right up my street and I ran near the front all race, even leading a number of laps and beginning to think about the win....before then losing a chunk of wing - but still a strong 4th place.

Baku I had high hopes for with the above mentality again, only to be wrecked on lap 1 so that was a tough one to take.

But back to a high in Austria as I opted to make use of the tyre glitch and sacrifice Q for some harder tyres, getting a podium and what turned out to be my highest finish of the season.

4 of the next 5, Silverstone through to Monza were nightmares again...
The first 2, GB and Hungary were just show up and race and the pace was nowhere near where it should have been and outside of the points was the end result - Hungary also earning drive-through penalty to hinder me.
Germany was stronger with a bit more practice and Spa and Monza if I recall were stronger performances but Spa was ruined by a crash late on and Monza was self inflicted with drive-through penalty.

Then it was a pretty dull run in - including the Canada catch up where i wrecked myself...was looking really good in attempt 1 with strategy and incoming weather so that's one to ponder 'what if...'

Highlight however was Singapore of course. The rain equalized the field somewhat and in changeable conditions I was right up there with Ash and Sylar. Inters was my strongest condition and once it dried it was a MEGA defensive performance which staggered even myself with how long I was able to keep the plucky Renault in the lead.

Ultimately, my biggest downfall this season reared its head again, unable to be fully on top of tyre wear, so eventually Ash got by but 2nd still seemed on before the rears gave up and spat me into the wall.
I then made the gamble to do 1 3/4 laps with no wing which very nearly worked for a podium still but the rain put an end to that half way around the last lap - such was our strong pace was that I still classified 9th.

Unsure on participation next season shorter season is more tempting and if I do it will again be minimal practice again so we'll see. A lot going on over the spring/summer.

@Dale Stones - fantastic teammate, huge thanks again for the 3 or 4 times where our races had differed and you selflessly yielded to me after I came out the pits which was hugely appreciated. And got our 2 best results of the season so well done.
Only regret is that somehow we never really got to battle with each other!

Hopefully next season if I carry on.

Overall the racing was very good and had some great battles.
Not much in way of incidents - obviously Baku was tough with the incident with @Wimstradamus, but equally I unfortunately made my own mistake in USA wrecking @Donks race so can't come out as an angel myself.

Thanks everyone, well done to @neil rutter for the championship.

Philip_66

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
@YabbaTheHutt , @Bcolt93 , @DON SILVA
Thank you for coordinating this season !!
Don also for setting up the socials !!
Glad i could join this one.
Very adult racing and conversations.
No nag about incidents and i think i never joined a league with this minor steward discussions.
For me it was a season of learning. Last season i was driving 2013 on PS3.
Jumping to PS4 and 2016 was a big difference. But i didn't finished last, so i'm satisfied !!
Just a bit looking forward to 2017. Looks a bit like the old days. But with much more HPs.
I really do hope to see all or most of you next season to have some more fun.

THX ALL !!

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
My own personal favourite comment of the season was this after the China race:
Its official my pit engineer is a dickhead, not once but twice this fool tried to change my strategy (he succeeded the first time:banghead:) second time with 6 laps to go he wanted me to take mediums instead of S-Softs.:wtf: Yes of course I want to be on average 2 seconds a lap slower for the last 6 laps - bellend.
:hilarious:

CragglesD

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 22, 2014
Scoring just ONE point is quite a special achievement for me! But I did only compete in 6 races and suffered lag in them all.

Reactions: YabbaTheHutt

Defiant195

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Went into the season with high hopes as the cars were quite unforgiving until I got used to them. I never usually have great pace (best grid slot in any online league in the dry is a P7) so I get on with consistency and understanding tyre wear and strategies etc..

But you guys have all had too much pace even when you have crashed or spun most of you can still catch me in the dry.

As with all the F1 games I have played back to 2012 (where I learn't I could sometimes be more aggressive on the brakes), I just can't find any more pace after my initial laps and setup tweaks which is disappointing which will be the main reason I won't be racing next season. I just can't get any better than this.

But there has still been some good battles this season, just not as many as I would like. Thanks Guys.

Well done to Neil Rutter on the Championship and big thanks to @YabbaTheHutt if it were not for him I still be on Monza's results screen trying to fill them in as was soo slow for me.

pete day

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Jan 13, 2014
Well had a great return to the f1 after a few season out
had a great season with u guys clear fair battles disappointed that i came behind my teammate but about he won me lol
Cnt wait until nxt season hopefully i will b a bit quicker see u guys around thx 4 a good season
[DOUBLEPOST=1491151400][/DOUBLEPOST]
My reflection or looking back as I normally call it, simply unbelievable.

When I had my debut back in Bahrain I had no real expectations and was very unsure how I would do and of course I was only a reserve for the first 2 races (Bahrain and China). Despite not scoring points in either of those races (which was because I was unlucky in both) I realised I had enough pace to be a regular contender for points.

So once I became a full-time driver from Russia onwards my original target I gave myself for the rest of the season, was to try and finish in the top 10 in the championship and challenge for a podium finish, I surprised myself by achieving that in Spain despite starting on the back row and that gave me all the confidence I needed to push on.

And a few races later I won at Austria and I didn't look back, I picked up 3 more wins and ended up challenging for a championship at the death but it wasn't meant to be. But when I look back I'm thrilled with what I achieved it was way beyond my expectations, I know some people would give an arm or a leg (probably;)) to just to finish on the podium let alone win, so as a result I've never taken the success I've had this season for granted.

The bad moments there were a few, Germany finishing 3rd - that was a race I felt I should have won and tonight at Abu Dhabi is up there for me, but Baku was my real low point of the season, I ended up ruining @chris130256 race and getting him dsq'ed at the start because I lost the rear with wheelspin and turned into him on the exit of turn 2:(, and then a couple corners later I had my race ended by @Ben hughes, who unfortunately misjudged his speed and grip (with no front wing) and plowed into me causing me to retire and himself.:rage:

At the time it was probably the only occasion where I've been completely outraged while racing in AOR, though while 2 wrongs don't make a right on reflection later on after I calmed down, I realised that it was karma biting me in the ass for causing Chris to get dsq'ed. (Though that race was one I was really looking forward too)

The good moments theres been many, in terms of my high point of the season race wise I can't really separate Austria and Monza for different reasons, Austria scene of my first ever win (after starting 21st and last) it was a great drive but it wasn't the perfect drive (yes surprisingly) also the fact the tyre wear glitch played a part it does take a little bit of the gloss of it.
Monza however I was just on a different level that night, despite only having to do 2 simple passes and the start giving me the biggest concern, this is probably the real high point of the season as I didn't put a foot wrong but more importantly I did the perfect race.:cigar:

With my favourite overtake (I had to do a ton of overtaking this season), while there a few passes that I really enjoyed and believe it or not my own personal favourite of the season, was me being overtaken by @pete day reason why - at Monaco on the final lap I had a bad exit entering the tunnel Pete who was just behind pulled up alongside and we went side by side through the entire tunnel and didn't make any contact, before he expertly broke on the inside for the chicane and passed me completely clean that was outstanding to experience, despite costing me a place.(y)

As for racing against everyone else it has been absolute joy (even you @Philip_66 give a while and I'll eventually forgive you for tonight:grumpy:), the racing has been so clean in general and its a testament to everyone I've raced against and battled with, which is everyone at some point.

Lastly as for the future, I'm intending to race in season 13 but if I am honest I'm hoping that I will race in GP2/F2 next season, don't get me wrong I don't have delusions of grandeur, but I feel over the season I've shown enough pace and great results to hopefully merit a chance at the tier above.

As I always want to challenge myself and without doubt when @dFlashAshb somehow got demoted to our tier it certainly made me raise my game, I've been vocal enough to some extent in the last quarter of the season regarding Ash and his 'pace' and without doubt we all know he didn't belong in our tier, but he was and while he was a massive pain in the backside to have to race against, simply because his pace was easily to quick for most of us and he look after his tyres well beyond what most of us could do, but I'm actually pleased I got to race against him.

To be able to race against and beat him on a few occasions on merit was really satisfying and gives me the belief and confidence that I can push on from here for next season, regardless of the tier I'm in.(y)

Lastly a big thank you to @YabbaTheHutt, @pete day & @Defiant195 this season for there hosting and being co-ord's for the season, I wish everyone the best for the future hopefully our paths will all cross again.:)
It was scary but glad i stop it time and dnt take u out