Feedback thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Feedback thread

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Former S-Mod
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016

Hello everyone!

With 9 out of 12 rounds behind us, we're approaching the nail-biting end of the season.

It's been a blast!

As preparations for season 5 are underway, you can now be part of shaping the future.

What has worked in S4?
What didn't?

What would you like us to change?
What would you like us to keep?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!
  1. #7 - Niclas Domino @Niclas Domino - Denmark - Ferrari - Dragon Slayer Racing - A 4.99 / 1756 - Am
  2. #9 - Christoph Holstein @Ycoms - Swiss - Porsche - Comrade Gaming - A 3.07 / 3859 - Pro
  3. #13 - Phil Bedford @Phil Bedford - UK - Porsche - Team Buschfink Racing - A 2.51 / 2151 - Am
  4. #15 - Darren Potter @Richtofen - UK - Ferrari - Scuderia AORia - A 2.44 - Am
  5. #16 - Phil Reid @McPhilen - UK - Ferrari - Team AOR Blue - A 4.02 / 4050 - Pro
  6. #18 - Koen Van Eijk @Argon - Netherlands - Ferrari - Slotherines - D 3.36 / 1280 - Am*
  7. #20 - Knut Martinsen @FisiFan91 - Norway - Ferrari - Team AOR Yellow - A 4.99 / 3896 - Pro/Am
  8. #23 - Ben Warren @TBR Wheels - UK - Ferrari - Team Buschfink Racing - A 4.29 / 2912 - Pro/Am
  9. #25 - Jukka V Suominen @Jukks - Finland - Ferrari - Iridium Racing - A 4.99 / 2512 - Pro/Am
  10. #27 - Sam Blackwood @AOR Midg3t - UK - Ford - OCM Racing - A 2.57 / 1457 - Am
  11. #31 - Jason S Dyer @ramdrop - English - Porsche 911 RSR - RevolutionSimRacing - A4.48 - Pro
  12. #33 - Eneric Andre @Era - French - Ford GTE - Race Clutch - A2.44 6384 - Pro
  13. #37 - Dominik Gadermayr @N1kmido - Austria - Ferrari - TBA - A 4.22 / 2820 - Pro
  14. #43 - Andrew Browne2 @Browneskiii - UK - Ferrari - Wheelie Bad - B3.60 / 2350 - Am
  15. #56 - Boy Willemsen @BaBaBoye - Netherlands - Ford - TBA - A 3.37 / 1029 - Am
  16. #66 - Merlin Cooper @Merlin Cooper - Austria - Porsche - A 2.77 / 1932 - Am*
  17. #74 - Sebastien Reithmuller @Reith - France - Ferrari - VEC - SIMRACING - A 4.31 / 2275 - Pro/Am
  18. #77 - Valtteri Alander @Sisuvoima10 - Finnish - Ferrari - Glacier Racing - A 2.76 / 4710 - Pro
  19. #82- Stephan Kamke @Stephan - Finland - Ferrari - Slotherines - A 4.99 / 1236 - Am
  20. #83 - Stevie Chambers @Stevie - UK - Ferrari - Scuderia AORia - A 2.22 / 2250 - Pro/Am
  21. #84 - Ebar Mariinsky @Dandy - Finland - Ford - Happy Cat Racing - B3.32 / 1952 - Am*
  22. #94 - Alexis Bouché @Meireloso - France - Porsche - Privateer - A 3.43 / 3041 - Pro
  23. #96 - Mike Schepers @mike66187 - Netherlands - Ford - A 4.03 /2384 - Pro
  24. #107 - Philippe Gaillard @Gibson - France - Porsche - VEC - SIMRACING - CYAN - A 4.69 / 2940 - Pro/Am
  25. #130 - Djawad Karoni @djawadkaroni - French - Ferrari 488 - Race Clutch - Pro
  26. #147 - Evan RT Imray @Erti147 - UK - Ferrari - Team AOR Yellow - A 4.76 / 4004 - Pro/Am
  27. #157 - Alexandre Godefroy @Bucefal - France - Ferrari - VEC - SIMRACING - A 2.46 / 3046 - Pro/Am
  28. #179 - Steffen Herrman @Steffen Herrmann - Germany - Porsche - SimRC - A 2.43 / 5500 - Pro
  29. #316 - Conner Pearson @Knor The Dragon - UK - Ford GT 2017 - OCM Racing - A 2.53 iR 1767 - Pro/Am*
  30. #350 - Charlie Summers @Charlie9000 - UK - Porsche - Team AOR Blue - A 4.97 / 5781 - Pro
  31. #488 - Jake Towns @Jake_Towns - UK - Ferrari - Wolfpack Nandos - A 3.28 / 1904 - Am
  32. #666 - Flavien Fouque @Zonerouge12 - France - Porsche - VEC - SIMRACING - CYAN - A 3.53 / 2425 - Pro/Am
  33. #724 - Chris Dubreucq @VEC_orks95 - France - 911 RSR - VEC-SIMRACING NOIR - Class A 3.08 3286 - Pro/Am
  34. #911 - Søren Kruse @Krusen - Denmark - Porsche - Privateer - A3.19 / 2337 - Pro

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
What has worked in S4? The Ferrari over the kerbs
What didn't? The Porsche over the kerbs

What would you like us to change? More kerbs
What would you like us to keep? Kerbs

As for serious replies, which I sometimes give:

What worked? Race length. As much as I suck at keeping the tyres alive, I think it's nice to have a decently long race format. Also, a lot of the racing with people of different levels of ability was pretty much always great.
What didn't? I'm not sure there's anything in particular that didn't work. My tyres after about lap 4, but that's a me thing.

Change? Personally I think the session would perhaps work a little better if it was 25 minutes of practice with 15 minutes of qualifying. Qualifying you can finish the lap you're on where as practice you can't, but that's only a minor reason. I think having the extra bit of time in practice, which would give about 2-3 laps extra might help.
Keep? Car numbers as they are. I know the plan is to change them but that's just me. It's obviously not going to stop me (or I suspect anyone) from signing up, but I don't think it's needed, even for the broadcast.

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
Just a small idea:How about the opening round is a multi-driver race, potentially slightly longer. So for the first round teammate's would share cars, and some independents may have to be paired up.

N1kmido

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sep 17, 2016
I second the thought of shortening qualifying (and perhaps increase practice). It´s too much time to get a good lap in imo.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Honestly I would say for this style of racing, the race is too long. It's a 1 stop with very little strategy and in my case, I'm often driving alone and as I'm up at 6am on a Monday morning, I find it very hard to keep focused and often get fatigued and bored. Maybe it's a me thing but I'm sure others would agree to an extent. Maybe it's because the other sessions are also too long and it's like driving for 2 hours straight with only pitting once.

The racing simply isn't long enough for making changing tyres a viable strategy and it's too long to allow a 0 stop. Potentially allow 5% extra fuel or something for people to risk the 0 stop without majorly saving fuel, I was cruising from lap 1 in Brazil to make it and lost a lot of time when I lost the slipstream.

Maybe it's a stupid idea, but to add suspense and drama, reverse championship order grid, make the quicker guys race for the wins while the slower guys can fight for something. Is that too artificial, or because the racing is 80 minutes it'll tend to bring a proper result that qualifying would add?

mike66187

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2018
What has worked in S4?
- general race length and class system are good i think. I like the open qualifying too.

What didn't?
- I think there aren't enough strategy options available in the race. every race for me has been the same strategy wise (race for 60-65 mins pit for the amount of fuel that u need and then finish said race). this makes the racing really predictable.

- my ford

- maybe change the fuel restriction to force a multi-stop race? I would like to meet a situation where changing tires is a fast/valid option. ( I know this is a lot to ask for).

- standing starts could make the start a bit more exciting although I could be the only guy who thinks this is a good idea.

- reverting the blue flag system to iracings way of blue(/yellow) flags?! (could make it more interesting for front runners and backmarkers).

- longer practice shorter qualy

- race length is good
- the max amount of drivers on the track (30-34)
- Time and day of the race

Reactions: Richtofen

Jukks

AOR iRacing GTE S3 Pro-AM Champion
Jun 20, 2018
I agree that the race length and format are good, but there is a lack of strategy involved. Maybe doing something like keeping the unlimited fuel, but making it 2 mandatory stops instead of just one could spice things up? That could make a tire change a valid option as well since you can take them at the same time.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I agree that strategy options are a bit lacking. You just drive to a splash and dash and that's it really.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
What worked
-If nothing would change for the next season, I would still be here and having a great fun. So I think everything in it's actual shape is working for me
-Being more specific, what I like most was the race lenght, having 3 drivers class, and the open qualifying

What didn't work
-See first point above
-As mentionned by others, lack of strategy options can be an issue, especially if you find yourself to drive in a no man's land for 3/4 of the race...

Changes
-I do agree on the +5min for practice/ -5min for quali as most of the time I do several laps with race fuel during quali session to finalize my preparation

-I'd like if we can go back to an option where we can see at a glance on our relative who we are fighting with. Niclas has done a great job on the skin pack but it's not enough when you're driving in a pack (+ I noticed some mistakes on some skins). I love my 3 digit number (157) but if I have to change it in order to fulfill that point I'm ok with it.

-I'm not an expert on strategy matters but if we want tires to be part of it, I guess race lenght would have to be increased by quite a margin. For example, in the Ferrari you have to take about 70L of fuel to get a "free" tire change... Do we want 1h45/2h00 races? I'd personnaly be ok with it, but I think it would be a no for some of us. So I think the option of a two pitstops could be explored (in test races maybe), should it be mandatory or by restricting fuel.

-For important personal informations (such as penalties for the race to come ;)) I'd suggest to use inbox messages rather than just a mention in a thread. Sometimes when real life kicks in and you're not able to check the forums accurately, it can be easy to miss a "one mentioned you" amongst 17 "one repplied to...".

Keep
-Cars
-Race lenght (at least not shorter)
-3 drivers class (I think Gold/Silver/Bronze would be more accurate though)
-Day and time
-Open qualifying

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
I probably can't comment too much because my season has been absolutely shocking, at least in terms of results. I've enjoyed the racing while it lasted but maybe because I haven't been doing much racing outside of the league I'm not used to the race length and I lose focus towards the latter stages.

I think the format works, for what it's worth though. I don't think longer races are warranted, like a few people have said I think there could be a solution in implementing some kind of strategy rules like starting the race on a set maximum amount of fuel (say 45L for the sake of argument) so that we're forced to make 2 pit stops which would help break up the race a bit and encourage closer racing.

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Former S-Mod
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for the feedback so far! Lots of things to keep :)

Strategy came up a lot. How would you like to enforce more strategy within the boundaries of built in tools?
One thought is to limit fuel tank size to something that requires longer stops so tires are less “costly” in time.
But what would that threshold be? Without testing, 65/70L? That would allow a 1 stop race but require you to take on 50-70L depending on track and car?

Or would people want the 45L tank, enforcing a 2 stop race? (I see no extra strategy in that :unsure:)

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
Thanks for the feedback so far! Lots of things to keep :)

Strategy came up a lot. How would you like to enforce more strategy within the boundaries of built in tools?
One thought is to limit fuel tank size to something that requires longer stops so tires are less “costly” in time.
But what would that threshold be? Without testing, 65/70L? That would allow a 1 stop race but require you to take on 50-70L depending on track and car?

Or would people want the 45L tank, enforcing a 2 stop race? (I see no extra strategy in that :unsure:)
From memory it's about 15 seconds to change the rear tyres only (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not sure how you could limit fuel loads such that people would risk that extra time to make a tyre change, especially at tracks where overtaking is more difficult and track position is preferable. Could be worth testing both options at some point - a race where the fuel is limited to 50-70L for a 1 stop race and a tire change and another with a 45L or so limit to force a 2 stop strategy.

For me a 2 stop race would work better as the racing would probably be a bit closer, as well as breaking the race up a bit which helps if you find yourself driving around on your lonesome for laps on end.

Phil Bedford

AOR iRacing GTE S4 AM Champion
Mar 18, 2017
As its my first season with AOR, I cant compare with previous seasons, however Ive done plenty of league racing elsewhere to know that this has been my favorite league, and the cleanest racing Ive been involved with.

What has worked in S4?
Race length is perfect - Im crap at quali, so the longer races give me a chance to get back in to the race. 2x sprint races Im not in favour of, and please dont ever do a reverse grid, or wheel of fortune grid, from my perspective these always just become a ****-show.

What didn't?
I cant think of anything really, maybe the grids are a bit small, but I dont know if we would ever have had more than 35 drivers anyway?
Removing the class badge at the start of a drivers name - I know it was for a reason, but we really do need some way of seeing who is in what class.

Strategy options - although Im not sure how to do this. Someone mentioned leaving full fuel available, but making 2x stops mandatory, again, Im not sure how you would enforce this though...
Grid size, if drivers are available.
Numbering system to show who is in what class.

Race length
Open quali
Day and times

Jake_Towns

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2018
Very happy with my first AOR season, wouldn't change anything drastic as it works.

We do need a way of identifying whos racing who BUT thoroughly enjoyed my time here so far!

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
What worked
-If nothing would change for the next season, I would still be here and having a great fun. So I think everything in it's actual shape is working for me
-Being more specific, what I like most was the race lenght, having 3 drivers class, and the open qualifying

What didn't work
-See first point above
-As mentionned by others, lack of strategy options can be an issue, especially if you find yourself to drive in a no man's land for 3/4 of the race...

Changes
-I do agree on the +5min for practice/ -5min for quali as most of the time I do several laps with race fuel during quali session to finalize my preparation

-I'd like if we can go back to an option where we can see at a glance on our relative who we are fighting with. Niclas has done a great job on the skin pack but it's not enough when you're driving in a pack (+ I noticed some mistakes on some skins). I love my 3 digit number (157) but if I have to change it in order to fulfill that point I'm ok with it.

-I'm not an expert on strategy matters but if we want tires to be part of it, I guess race lenght would have to be increased by quite a margin. For example, in the Ferrari you have to take about 70L of fuel to get a "free" tire change... Do we want 1h45/2h00 races? I'd personnaly be ok with it, but I think it would be a no for some of us. So I think the option of a two pitstops could be explored (in test races maybe), should it be mandatory or by restricting fuel.

-For important personal informations (such as penalties for the race to come ;)) I'd suggest to use inbox messages rather than just a mention in a thread. Sometimes when real life kicks in and you're not able to check the forums accurately, it can be easy to miss a "one mentioned you" amongst 17 "one repplied to...".

Keep
-Cars
-Race lenght (at least not shorter)
-3 drivers class (I think Gold/Silver/Bronze would be more accurate though)
-Day and time
-Open qualifying
Hey ty for the feedback, i just want to address the skin pack thing :D, the reason you might see some mistakes is that i dont have a list of all driver or all the skins, so it is just a "we try pack" but for the next season it will look good as i will get all the skins and the data to make the pack ;)

Reactions: Bucefal

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
What has worked in S4?
- Introduction of a broadcast <3
- The racing, in general I felt like the racing was very clean up and down the field for many of the race, which is good to see
What didn't?
- Can't think of anything in particular really. I'm still not a fan of the open qualifying, but that's maybe just me and it worked, so yeah. :p

- As some people already mentioned: Shorten the quali and lengthen the practice by 5 or 10 minutes.
- The general format, the race length is really good imo. Not sure if I'd be a massive fan of introducing fuel restrictions to force a second pit stop (or a longer one to open up the option of pitting for tyres), you'd need to find a sweetspot in before hand to really make it work which might be a bit tricky.

In general it was super fun season to drive and kudos to the cods/mods/Smods for reinstating this league. :)
Depending on what's going to happen with the F3 and a certain other F1 thing I might not do next season since I just can't do 3 leagues at the same time.

EDIT:
Oh, and imo the Pro championship is pretty pointless imo since by definition the people there are normally fighting for the overall championship anyway. So yeah, I'd say that's not really needed in the future.

Last edited:

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
What has worked in S4? - broadcasting worked well, open qualy can be a blessing and a curse, but hey-ho, moving the time from 7pm to 7:15pm
What didn't? - my ford at watkins glen, road america, suzuka, road atlanta and sebring
What would you like us to change? - maybe add that once a driver crashes out maybe Kodiak could bring them into the discord chat and ask what happened (a bit like f1 do when ricciardo retires)
What would you like us to keep? - the series (10x better than FR2.0)