Football chat

StephenCarry

AOR PC GT3 S14 T2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
uuuh, 'tis a thread to watch!

Am I allowed to expose myself as a Liverpool fan who is afraid of not winning the league again after 2014 and 2018 aaand who also is German and completely scared by the EURO draw with France and Portugal? :D

Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So in the last few weeks 3 managers got the sack (with Emery one of those finally getting the boot), however Everton somehow look like that they have got a great manager in Ancelotti, whereas Arsenal despite being in a very bad and rocky place have taken a gamble on Arteta, only time will tell whether they made the right decision.

In other news we've had the champions & Europa league draws:
Image result for champions league draw
Image result for europa league draw

Real Madrid vs Man City obviously the standout tie in that UCL draw but on the flipside what a opportunity for debutants Atalanta or Valencia one of those 2 will be in the last 8!

In the UEL several interesting ties such as Olympiacos V Arsenal, Leverkusen v Porto, Frankfurt v Salzburg.

It was also the League cup quarter-final and there were no surprises with all ties going the way everyone thought, here was the semi-final draw:
Image result for carabao cup draw

And it provided a all Manchester semi!

Finally tomorrow will see the final of the Club World Cup:
Image result for club world cup trophy

Liverpool who basically sacrificed the League Cup to play in this, who managed to overcome Monterrey in injury time a couple days ago to setup a repeat of the 1981 Intercontinental Cup when back then Flamengo won 3- 0.

Now while most football fans here in the UK don't hold the Club World Cup in high regard, over in South America and most of the rest of the world this competition is very important to them.

Personally I am a fan of the Club World Cup simply because it does something pretty rare and that's put the 6 continental champions of that year all into one competition, sure football fans in the UK and Europe probably think 'but most of the teams in it aren't nowhere near top quality so who cares'.

But the reality is that the gap in quality isn't as big as those fans like to think, also who wins this their fans gets to legitimate say there team is the 'best in the world' and by extension World Champions.
Which whether you want to admit it or not, its something any fan would love to say about there club and chant to shut up opposition fans.:LOL:

Oh and finally welcome to this thread @StephenCarry & @QuickSliverQ!!
Don't worry Stephen you'll probably find a way through the group of death as 3 teams can qualify.

StephenCarry

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
Personally I am a fan of the Club World Cup simply because it does something pretty rare and that's put the 6 continental champions of that year all into one competition, sure football fans in the UK and Europe probably think 'but most of the teams in it aren't nowhere near top quality so who cares'.

Oh and finally welcome to this thread @StephenCarry & @QuickSliverQ!!
Don't worry Stephen you'll probably find a way through the group of death as 3 teams can qualify.
first of all: I really don't like LFCs CL draw against Atlético.. don't knoow why but I think they're the kind of team that can beat them by 0-0 and 0-1 or so with 1-25 shots on goal^^

second: Exactly the reason I like the Club World Cup as well. Those non-European teams are really putting everything in it, always. I have quite a like on the southamerican teams as well, since some of them (Flamengo, River Plate, Boca etc.) have a great history to their name.

aaand third: oh I forgot 3 teams make it! Maybe we're the lucky idiots winning EURO2020 after 3 draws! :D

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
And Liverpool officially become world champions:
Image result for liverpool club world cup

Just interested in your view @Steve Jackson on this (since you are a Liverpool fan and you've been a bit quiet in the football thread), what was your view before Liverpool decided to prioritise the CWC instead of the League cup, were you one of those that thought:
'its a tinpot cup I rather win the league cup'
or
'lets go for the CWC I want to be world champions'
(And if it was the first one, did your opinion then change just after Liverpool beat Flamengo?;))

• Friendly
Reactions: StephenCarry

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
And Liverpool officially become world champions:
Image result for liverpool club world cup

Just interested in your view @Steve Jackson on this (since you are a Liverpool fan and you've been a bit quiet in the football thread), what was your view before Liverpool decided to prioritise the CWC instead of the League cup, were you one of those that thought:
'its a tinpot cup I rather win the league cup'
or
'lets go for the CWC I want to be world champions'
(And if it was the first one, did your opinion then change just after Liverpool beat Flamengo?;))
It would have been a long way to go not to bring back the trophy. But yeah European Champions, European Super Cup Winners, World Champions....who would bet against this team for more?

The 5-0 scoreline on the kids was a bit unfair, 2-0 would have sounded about right. But the circumstances were nigh on impossible. Klopp's got them wrapped in cotton wool as there will be no let up from here on in. We have Matip, Fab and the Ox to come back. Minamino will give him a chance to freshen up the front three, we play 4-3-3 a lot even when we have Origi in there, maybe he's even looking at shoring things up a lot more often.

FIFA are full of it bringing expansion to Europe and the plans for the CWC are barmy. But ultimately, clubs will follow the money. If this were to go ahead, then the Carabao Cup would be the first thing to be dropped and I can only see 18 clubs being a realistic maximum in the PL but they (PL) won't agree to that.

StephenCarry

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
also keep the following in mind guys, here in Germany nobody knows about that and almost everybody criticizes Liverpool for it..

1. FIFA strictly enforce their "you have to field your best team possible" rule after Real (or Barca?) a few years back flew in their B-team/U23 and their prize money was allegedly cut half.

2. Prize money. CWC around GBP10-15M for the winner whereas the winner of the EFL cup only receives what.. 200.000? I mean that's not something where you say "aw come ooon doesn't matter!" :D

3. Status. Since I first heard of the EFL Cup it's been for the U23s, reserves teams and to rest to top-players.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
also keep the following in mind guys, here in Germany nobody knows about that and almost everybody criticizes Liverpool for it..

1. FIFA strictly enforce their "you have to field your best team possible" rule after Real (or Barca?) a few years back flew in their B-team/U23 and their prize money was allegedly cut half.

2. Prize money. CWC around GBP10-15M for the winner whereas the winner of the EFL cup only receives what.. 200.000? I mean that's not something where you say "aw come ooon doesn't matter!" :D

3. Status. Since I first heard of the EFL Cup it's been for the U23s, reserves teams and to rest to top-players.
It's impossible to field the same side in two consecutive days in games 3000 miles apart. Liverpool have never disrespected the EFL Cup, unlike Manchester United, who withdrew from defending the F.A. Cup....after all we've appeared in the final 12 times, winning 8.

Yep, follow the money.

There is too much football to honour all the competitions. Since the EFL Cup is not a guaranteed path to top-level European football (Europa League 2QR) and is often forfeit as a Champions League qualifying team will still win it most of the time, it's not hard to see why it was deprioritised this time around.

All domestic cup-ties should move to 'on the day/night' results, including the FA Cup, without the need for ET. Where the gap in leagues is more than 3, home advantage should be negotiable to get the best outcome. e.g. if a team with a 3,000 capacity venue can take half the gate receipts at a likely 10,000 attendance instead they should get the choice.

• Agree

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So it looks like the start of the new year & decade will pick up from where we left off at the end of it with Liverpool looking well on there way, Leicester and Man City will have to hope for a miracle. And as for the race for the top 4 it seems like no one wants 4th as the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham & Wolves are all doing there best to give away points.
As for the relegation battle Arsenal now look safe after there first home league win in 3 months, but with a resurgent Watford suddenly winning games theres now a good 7/8 teams involved in a relegation scrap, Norwich now look in very big trouble but there still 2 relegation spaces up for grabs and honestly I wouldn't have a clue who will take them at this point.

Anyway moving on I remember seeing in one of the newspapers on December 31st that they listed who won any of the major English domestic trophies in the last 10 years, you had the usual suspects of course ranging from a couple to many, but I believe it was only a total of 8/9 clubs that had won any silverware last decade.

The 1 hit wonders were, Leicester (PL 2016), Wigan (FA Cup 2013), Swansea (League Cup 2013), Birmingham (League Cup 2011).

There is too much football to honour all the competitions. Since the EFL Cup is not a guaranteed path to top-level European football (Europa League 2QR) and is often forfeit as a Champions League qualifying team will still win it most of the time, it's not hard to see why it was deprioritised this time around.
I think what you said there Steve regarding the League Cup is case and point, out of the last 10 years only twice has it not been won by the usual suspects, yet you would think mid-table prem teams would take it seriously as it is a genuine chance to win a trophy, as teams in either the UCL or UEL should be focusing more on those competitions as well as the league.

But it seems for a lot of the PL teams its a unneeded distraction, I think if the FA want to re-establish the League Cup as a competition worth winning then all they would need to do is change up the prize on offer slightly, instead of the winners entering at the qualifying round of the Europa League, change it to direct entry to the Europa League.
Which can be done by swapping 5th in the PL to the League Cup and the ELQR to 5th in the PL, but if a top 4 teams still wins it then the EL spot transfers back to the PL, like they do with the FA Cup now.

If the FA did that change then a good chuck of the PL would have to take the League cup more seriously, sure the prize money isn't great as Stephen mentioned above but with the tv money the PL sides get these days, most PL sides probably don't worry to much about the prize money the FA & League cup offer these days.

Though going slightly off topic even the FA Cup according to some of the media has supposedly been losing its lustre over the last decade but I know how the FA can solve that problem: FA Cup get a UCL place...
At least then the winners would be champions of a competition that season, unlike the team that normally finishes trophyless in 4th.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
So it looks like the start of the new year & decade will pick up from where we left off at the end of it with Liverpool looking well on there way, Leicester and Man City will have to hope for a miracle. And as for the race for the top 4 it seems like no one wants 4th as the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham & Wolves are all doing there best to give away points.
As for the relegation battle Arsenal now look safe after there first home league win in 3 months, but with a resurgent Watford suddenly winning games theres now a good 7/8 teams involved in a relegation scrap, Norwich now look in very big trouble but there still 2 relegation spaces up for grabs and honestly I wouldn't have a clue who will take them at this point.

Anyway moving on I remember seeing in one of the newspapers on December 31st that they listed who won any of the major English domestic trophies in the last 10 years, you had the usual suspects of course ranging from a couple to many, but I believe it was only a total of 8/9 clubs that had won any silverware last decade.

The 1 hit wonders were, Leicester (PL 2016), Wigan (FA Cup 2013), Swansea (League Cup 2013), Birmingham (League Cup 2011).

I think what you said there Steve regarding the League Cup is case and point, out of the last 10 years only twice has it not been won by the usual suspects, yet you would think mid-table prem teams would take it seriously as it is a genuine chance to win a trophy, as teams in either the UCL or UEL should be focusing more on those competitions as well as the league.

But it seems for a lot of the PL teams its a unneeded distraction, I think if the FA want to re-establish the League Cup as a competition worth winning then all they would need to do is change up the prize on offer slightly, instead of the winners entering at the qualifying round of the Europa League, change it to direct entry to the Europa League.
Which can be done by swapping 5th in the PL to the League Cup and the ELQR to 5th in the PL, but if a top 4 teams still wins it then the EL spot transfers back to the PL, like they do with the FA Cup now.

If the FA did that change then a good chuck of the PL would have to take the League cup more seriously, sure the prize money isn't great as Stephen mentioned above but with the tv money the PL sides get these days, most PL sides probably don't worry to much about the prize money the FA & League cup offer these days.

Though going slightly off topic even the FA Cup according to some of the media has supposedly been losing its lustre over the last decade but I know how the FA can solve that problem: FA Cup get a UCL place...
At least then the winners would be champions of a competition that season, unlike the team that normally finishes trophyless in 4th.
Problem is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Clubs that win the FA Cup or EFL Cup aren't secure enough financially to take on a commitment like the UCL due to the lack of playing staff. FA Cup does get a UEL Qualifier, but as it's still taken seriously enough then it's likely the FA Cup Winners have qualified via the League also.

StephenCarry

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
... with Liverpool looking well on there way, Leicester and Man City will have to hope for a miracle.
I've been following Liverpool as a "fan" since 1999 and I will never ever celebrate anything again before the very second a title is official as in theoretically impossible to still lose it. I've seen things you know :cry:

Love your roundups btw! :)

I don't know why and how it started, since back then if you were German and you favoured an international team, that would've been United, Real, Barca, Juventus or Milan. No one even knew Liverpool back when we were 10-12 years old^^

But somehow there I was playing FIFA99 and This if Football with Fowler, Redknapp, Owen, McMnmn, Berger, Ince, Westerveld, Smicer, Hamann and so on... Jesus feels like it was last year.

sorry for straying! :D

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
So what have we learned the last 2 weeks, well probably that Everton won't beat Liverpool again this century if that FA Cup tie was anything to go by.

I mean when I saw the Liverpool & Everton teams, Liverpool basically playing half a youth team and you hear the fact Everton haven't beaten Liverpool since 1999, Everton fans must have been thinking 'todays the day' but then a Liverpool kid scores an absolute worldie.

I have to wonder whether Everton have a 100 year/century curse on them, supposedly Benfica do by a former manager in the early 1960's, who famously said after leaving them 'Benfica won't win another European trophy for a century' since then they've lost every major European final they've been in. (5 European Cup, 3 Uefa Cup)

Either way will Everton get a better chance to beat Liverpool then what they had a couple of weeks ago...

As for other matters the FA cup saw a few upsets but nothing earth shattering, and in the league Liverpool continued there relentless march, Southampton got a bit of revenge over there 9 - 0 drubbing by Leicester by winning at Leicester, Arsenal seem to be on the up under Arteta and Tottenham are now Kane-less for the rest of the season.

And following the recent injury to Rashford, thoughts are already turning towards Euro 2020 and the distinct possibility for England that Kane will be struggling to make it and injuries to the likes of Rashford is the last thing we need, sure we have the likes of Ings and Abraham banging in goals but if where missing the likes of Kane and Rashford then theres only 1 player I want to see leading the line 'all aboard for the Vardy party!'

Lastly going back to the FA Cup this is the 4th round draw:
(disregard Wolves & Carlisle both lost there replays)
Image result for fa cup 4th round draw

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well the 4th round replays in the FA Cup are now done and here are the ties for the 5th round:

I have another 'what would you prefer' scenario for you @Steve Jackson:

Liverpool win the league, go unbeaten and set several new league records
(like most wins & points etc)

or

Liverpool win the league & FA Cup
(but don't go unbeaten in the league or set any new records)

:unsure:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well the 4th round replays in the FA Cup are now done and here are the ties for the 5th round:

I have another 'what would you prefer' scenario for you @Steve Jackson:

Liverpool win the league, go unbeaten and set several new league records
(like most wins & points etc)

or

Liverpool win the league & FA Cup
(but don't go unbeaten in the league or set any new records)

:unsure:
What makes you believe they can't do both plus retaining the Champions League? We are the best team in the world, we have a good squad, some coming back to fitness after injuries and good youth players. Klopp is already talking about fielding the same team that beat Shrewsbury against Chelsea (I think it may be slightly more senior allowing those who need games to play).

The test will be when they don't win next, but at the moment it's hard to see anyone beating us. They have the mentality and the talent and that puts fear into the opposition. If we actually start playing well (usually the case after January) we are unstoppable.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
What makes you believe they can't do both plus retaining the Champions League? We are the best team in the world, we have a good squad, some coming back to fitness after injuries and good youth players. Klopp is already talking about fielding the same team that beat Shrewsbury against Chelsea (I think it may be slightly more senior allowing those who need games to play).

The test will be when they don't win next, but at the moment it's hard to see anyone beating us. They have the mentality and the talent and that puts fear into the opposition. If we actually start playing well (usually the case after January) we are unstoppable.
Steve I'm not doubting Liverpool can't do both, but I was going for the 'if your not being greedy' angle, obviously you want to have your cake and eat it.:ROFLMAO:

As for your next cup match against Chelsea, I'd be very surprised if he didn't at least mix & match and put in half your first team especially as your away.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Steve I'm not doubting Liverpool can't do both, but I was going for the 'if your not being greedy' angle, obviously you want to have your cake and eat it.:ROFLMAO:

As for your next cup match against Chelsea, I'd be very surprised if he didn't at least mix & match and put in half your first team especially as your away.
Wouldn't be much of a supporter if I didn't want us to win everything. I thought the kids were unlucky against Villa in the Carabao Cup but I wasn't impressed by the display in the original Shrewsbury tie. Back four were nothing short of shocking, especially the senior players who looked like strangers.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well, well, well:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1228395219957305344

Sheffield Utd in the Champions League is now a more realistic possibility, plus that also sounds good just imagine next season:

Sheffield Utd v Barcelona - No way Messi performs on a cold rainy night in Sheffield!;):LOL:

Though being serious I suspect City will find a way out of this, I don't have anything against them but it was clear years ago they've been breaking FFP. (as have a few others)

If this decision sticks though I can see Pep resigning the day after they get knocked out the champions league this season, or if they go on to win it.