PC - Formation Lap (T4 Drivers Only) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Formation Lap (T4 Drivers Only)

Which type of formation lap do you prefer

• AOR Formation Lap

• ACC In Game Full Formation Lap (new one like CP Races)

• Full manual in-game start and full formation lap (Porsche Cup, endurance races) Go On Green

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIXXERosg

AOR PC GT3 S12 T4 Champion
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
We try to stay flexible in AOR and adapt when needed. With the changes in ACC's formation lap system, it is an option for the remaining season. In T4 we would need a majority of racers to want a change.

Simple vote, keep the AOR Formation Lap or change to the ACC full formation lap in game system (CP Races)?

With the in game system you can get Drive Through (DT) from the starting procedure. We will not clear it, nor will you be able to submit a stewards review of the DT.
Tagging T4 Drivers:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BDG_Geo

HaiCo

Moderator & PC F1 League Runner
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 10, 2018
More info please. What are the pros and cons of the two systems and what would change for us drivers?
Also, what is stopping anyone from outside this tier from voting?

GIXXERosg

ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
More info please. What are the pros and cons of the two systems and what would change for us drivers?
Also, what is stopping anyone from outside this tier from voting?
I can't answer that without being some what biased to be honest. I recommend people join a CP Race or lobby that uses the in game start to experience it for themselves if they haven't already. I believe the Hivemind server's will have it running.

Basically the in game system is go on green and you need to have maintained speed limit of 60 KPH during formation.

Regarding the pole, we know how many drivers T4 has so let's start there and will confirm results later.

Last edited:

Gav88888

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 6, 2018
Personally I would like to try the official one as ive never used it, but using the AOR formation lap ive had some shity experiences in warm up laps with overly agressive people doing warm ups, or spinning out and having to avoid them etc

aerosmudge

AOR XB1 GT3 Pro S7 Champion
May 20, 2016
If people read and understood the rules (that they are supposed to read anyway) and were sensible in tyre/brake warming then there wouldn't be any problem. I haven't experienced any trouble yet this season in T4, may be others have.

Any I vote to keep the AOR starts

Legendacb

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 19, 2018
I loke the AOR starts and its seems perfect for Us. My only downside its that we lose racing time while doing the formation lap.

The new official start seems almost flawless for me, the ghosting gives everyone time to get to his spot safely and it gives all of us the same green...I think some of us jump to early in the start sometimes

Reactions: Gav88888

Danny Hendriks

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Jun 25, 2016
I think beter to keep the AOR starting procedure, the thing with the new in game start is, when the leaders are comming up to the starting line, your indicator for your position and if you need to move to the left or right disapears. This means you wil not know if you are out of position and most likely wil get a drivethrough for that

OJ Racing

Premium Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2019
I prefer the AOR start. It is much more realistic and I’m not a fan of the ghosting in the new ACC starting procedure.

I’ve also had a couple of drive throughs and not really known why. As @Danny Hendriks says, you can be out of position and not realise.

I do think it would be a good idea to run the new ACC start for the practice races to give everyone a chance to try it before making a decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Fizzymon

GIXXERosg

ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
Just some pro's and con's from my experience of both starts:

ACC Start
Pros:

- Everyone is forced to start in the correct position, or get a DT
- Everyone should be spaced evenly out for the start, and further so than the AOR start
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so people can't jump other cars unless the other car messes up the start
- Cars are ghosted so one person doing something stupid can't directly screw up someones race
- It is the same way CP servers, and most public servers are ran, and is part of the game

Cons:
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so everyone should usually arrive at T1 in as tight a pack as they were when it went green
- Cars are ghosted so cars could in theory enter T1 inside each other (one would get a DT though) and when they are unghosted when they stop overlapping they will be mm apart
- The UI is arguably annoying, especially so in VR

AOR Start
Pros:

- Everyone gets to full throttle later than the cars ahead, so people are more spread out by turn 1 (for every 5 rows back from the leader, people get on the throttle about 1 second later).
- It has flexibility in case someone get teleported to the pits, has to reload to the grid, or spins during the formation lap.
- Its manual, so arguably a little more 'sim' (although not going on green isn't terribly accurate to real life)

Cons:
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, if all goes well they can jump 3 or 4 places compared to others who followed the intent of the rules to the letter.
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, often badly, which causes people to speed up and slow down in formation and catching out the cars behind.
- Its manual, all the cars are close, so if one person makes an inexplicable mistake it can badly effect others.
- Its hard to keep track of if you are in the correct position, and can be confusing which side you should be on if cars drop out or spin.
- AOR start reduces the actual race time by 3 to 4 mins

Legendacb

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 19, 2018
I remember someone said that full manual lap has some kind of problem that make it change for this season, its that solved or it had the same problem?

Fizzymon

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2018
The ACC start in question is the one that has us start a few turns prior then go on green correct? Has an in-game formation lap been considered? Also, let it be known with the green light starts, it would definitely make it more dangerous because I know from online experience that some people react slower than others and as a result I have found it easy to gain positions before turn 1. Let that be considered as a pro/con as well.

For now, I am fine with the ACC start as it is safer and more realistic, however I do believe the in-game starts should be tested.

• Agree
Reactions: aerosmudge

GIXXERosg

ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
Full formation lap using the in game system and the UI just like CP races or a lot of the public lobbies, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I encourage people to try it before making a decision!! I don't believe the single player has it.

aerosmudge

May 20, 2016
Well that video looks interesting @GIXXERosg I have honestly never tried that start type before.

Stupid question, maybe I have missed it somewhere, but why are we considering changing anyway? Have there been lots of stupid incidents with the AOR system?

I completely agree with @Fizzymon , if there is a better solution to anything then we should try it but it needs to be tested first. And if people can't work the current system out, will they just start getting DT's with the in game one?

Tough call

GIXXERosg

ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
T4 hasn't had much of a problem to be honest but there have been a lot of grumblings overall. It was an option available only a few days before the season started with a few bugs but ACC corrected it.

DT's are a real thing, basically you have to ignore all the cars around you and only focus on what the game widget tells you even if a car is ghosted into you. You have to experience it to understand it.

Tomas Stanek

Formula Karter
May 8, 2019
I just don´t see any reason for AOR formation lap. It causes only crashes and mess because every driver is starting at different moment etc...

Gav88888

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 6, 2018
Voodoo's video looks good and the process looks simple to me, plus everyone is neatly ready for the start.

aerosmudge

May 20, 2016
I agree in theory it looks great @Gav88888 but I must say I am a bit worried about DT's if given out for no reason.

But as I said I have never tried it so can't really comment

GIXXERosg

ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
Our friends in T2 added a third option, like us people either like the new ACC system or don't lol

Full manual in-game start and full formation lap (Porsche Cup, endurance races) Go On Green

This option has been around for a while and is similar to the AOR start except you line up where the game puts you, full formation lap under manual control (no limiter), form up when the game tells you and go on green. I believe a few tracks put the odd numbered cars on the outside of Turn 1 for some reason. It can be problematic at the start if someone misses the green or is in the wrong gear creating an accordion effect or worse yet the car behind doesn't react fast enough to a slow starting car.

The overall goal with discussing options isn't to confuse the starting process, it's to be flexible enough to make a change if needed or if the Tier wants one.

Status
Not open for further replies.