PC - Formation Lap (T4 Drivers Only) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Formation Lap (T4 Drivers Only)

Which type of formation lap do you prefer

• AOR Formation Lap

• ACC In Game Full Formation Lap (new one like CP Races)

• Full manual in-game start and full formation lap (Porsche Cup, endurance races) Go On Green

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEmAych

AOR PS4 GT3 S14 T2 Champion
Jan 2, 2018

SPA and a good example how DT's can happen
I can't see how we could use that if you can get a dt for doing nothing wrong. Aor start can have issues if people do something wrong but that's why we get penalties and why they are more harsh than other pens.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDG_Geo

Legendacb

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 19, 2018
The problem with Voodoo it's that he is following the car ahead when you're ghosted and should only follow the instructions on the widget. Even if they go too far, follow the widget don't give you a DT.

That's why trying it on practice sessions and see if people don't seem to follow it OK

Daniel Monteiro

Formula Karter
Jan 23, 2020
Personally the new CP start system is a bit gimmicky and breaks immersion considerably: instead of driving to warm your tyres and brakes while being careful of cars around you, you are looking at a game widget in the middle of your screen o_O which is telling you to do things while not caring about what other cars are doing, which means you can ghost into them... :unsure:

This feels a bit fake and unecessary. We are racing, and part of racing is knowing the track and being aware of your surroundings. On a side note, the same goes for the radar or the position arrows when driving. By using these aids, people get used to relying on them and don't actually practice the skill of spatial awareness as much.

I feel that the manual start with full formation lap is the more responsible and realistic one, and still gives everyone the possibility to go on green as long as everyone forms up correctly and on time, which they are supposed to.

Reactions: aerosmudge

MrEmAych

Jan 2, 2018
On a side note, the same goes for the radar or the position arrows when driving. By using these aids, people get used to relying on them and don't actually practice the skill of spatial awareness as much.
Don't know if you noticed but you aren't sat in a car either...

Unless you have vr you can't look around the car for mirrors etc, you can't see other vehicles in your peripheral vision or any of these kind of things as you have a comparatively small window into this world. These tools are an attempt to replace some of these real life aspects of racing and spacial awareness. I'm not really sure how you think people could get this spacial awareness without these tools and without being able to use peripheral vision and turning your head to look at mirrors out of windows etc.

To me it's far move of a problem people turning these things off and having no idea where people are. That's when we get the silly avoidable collisions.

Daniel Monteiro

Formula Karter
Jan 23, 2020
Don't know if you noticed but you aren't sat in a car either...

Unless you have vr you can't look around the car for mirrors etc, you can't see other vehicles in your peripheral vision or any of these kind of things as you have a comparatively small window into this world. These tools are an attempt to replace some of these real life aspects of racing and spacial awareness. I'm not really sure how you think people could get this spacial awareness without these tools and without being able to use peripheral vision and turning your head to look at mirrors out of windows etc.

To me it's far move of a problem people turning these things off and having no idea where people are. That's when we get the silly avoidable collisions.
Quick disclaimer: this is all just my opinion that I am sharing, and I appreciate that you (and hopefully others) will join in with theirs, so we can all have many different points of view and learn with them :)

I am all for those aids being available for those who want to use them if it helps them; I am just saying that by relying on them, people might not develop spacial awareness as much as they could if not using these apps. Conversely, if in any situation a driver suddenly does not see or notice the radar or the arrows, they will commit to a corner while being oblivious that there is a car there, and that will cause a crash too. There is no perfect solution, I personally like to race and feel that I know where the cars are around when arriving to a corner, judging by their position around me and their speed during the straight. And this also applies to the warm-up laps, in my view. The new CP formation lap system is like going somewhere with the GPS on: you will get there, but if you then try to do the same route without gps you will struggle, because your brain was busy driving and listening to the instructions, and did not take time to memorise visual reference points along the road.

Again, just my opinion, let me know what you think :)

EDIT: I too used the arrows on other games in the past, or the triple virtual mirrors on rF2, and also had buttons to look left and right. I totally understand that they help, but now I feel safer when I don't use them. Or maybe I am just used to not having them. It is a matter of preference really.

MrEmAych

Jan 2, 2018
Quick disclaimer: this is all just my opinion that I am sharing, and I appreciate that you (and hopefully others) will join in with theirs, so we can all have many different points of view and learn with them :)

I am all for those aids being available for those who want to use them if it helps them; I am just saying that by relying on them, people might not develop spacial awareness as much as they could if not using these apps. Conversely, if in any situation a driver suddenly does not see or notice the radar or the arrows, they will commit to a corner while being oblivious that there is a car there, and that will cause a crash too. There is no perfect solution, I personally like to race and feel that I know where the cars are around when arriving to a corner, judging by their position around me and their speed during the straight. And this also applies to the warm-up laps, in my view. The new CP formation lap system is like going somewhere with the GPS on: you will get there, but if you then try to do the same route without gps you will struggle, because your brain was busy driving and listening to the instructions, and did not take time to memorise visual reference points along the road.

Again, just my opinion, let me know what you think :)

EDIT: I too used the arrows on other games in the past, or the triple virtual mirrors on rF2, and also had buttons to look left and right. I totally understand that they help, but now I feel safer when I don't use them. Or maybe I am just used to not having them. It is a matter of preference really.
Tbh im not sure about the CP lap either. Haven't tried it yet but from the videos it looks a bit weird. 100% with you on the formation lap though. Does look a bit like GPS, :ROFLMAO:.

I'm probably coming from the wrong place but on PS4 and project cars 2. It was as always the people with the indicators off that caused the problems haha.

Good to hear your pov though as it's a perspective I hadn't heard before.

GIXXERosg

AOR PC GT3 S12 T4 Champion
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for the feedback, we will review it. I have a better idea of T4's thoughts which is very helpful. Plan on AOR start until notified otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.