Formula E Season 5 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Formula E Season 5

pyrates

AOR PS4 GT3 S10 Tier 3 Champion
Apr 26, 2018
So did anyone watch the season opener?

While I did watch the odd Formula E race before, it was running basically in the background while I was doing other stuff. This season, though, I want to give Formula E a chance.

So my thoughts as a new viewer basically.

- Overall great grid with some big name drivers
- The lack of enigne sound didn't bother me actually
- A tad too many gimicks, hated those graphics with a dissapointed driver after a mistake
- I really don't like those soulless street circuits
- Maybe an isolated issue but organizationally there was some confusion like the 2nd red flag in quali being shown by the stewarts although it wasn't called by race contol. Why was there no superpole? I asume there was a time issue.
- Attack mode was not as bad as I thought but I somehow find it too confusing.
- Vandoorne finally outqualified his team mate. :D

Overall the racing was quite good with an interessting grid but I find it hard feel any passion for those tracks - the same goes for some of the new F1 street circuits.

What are your thoughts?

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
Always enjoyed FE. New gen cars look great and there's some great drivers in the field, incidentally a bigger field than F1.

I'm glad the new cars didn't affect the racing. Super close stuff. I like the street tracks, alright they aren't Spa, or Silverstone, but they are technical, tricky circuits that don't forgive mistakes. You get it slightly wrong, you're out.

I thought attack mode was really fun. It's a small penalty on track but the payback is fun. I would've preferred the rules to be clearer on it though.

Cars look, sound, race great. Super fun and crazy race.

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
Been watching since Season One, every race, no matter what, and a few hours late at most.

I agree on pretty much all your points @pyrates , for the Red Flag it was a marshalling error, and super pole was cancelled due to the weather delays.

Not a fan on attack mode being mandatory, leave it as an option for drivers to use if they want.

pyrates

AOR PS4 GT3 S10 Tier 3 Champion
Apr 26, 2018
Not a fan on attack mode being mandatory, leave it as an option for drivers to use if they want.
I agree. Based on the pre-season information, I was actually under the impression that it would be completely optional thing.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
All I can say is when F1 reaches this level of graphics saturation (like it will next year) I'll probably give it a miss. Horrible presentation.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Not gonna lie, I think FE is more exciting than current F1. It's got gimmicky stuff, but fan boost > drs. I loved the power boost for losing time thing I can't remember the name of, adds that extra bit of strategy and clever people will use it to their advantage. The cars are much more equal and less predictable, although JEV seems to be insanely consistent and easily favourite for the title. Definitely think he's top half of F1 skill, and red bull messed up picking Kvyat over him in 2015.

Hopefully the races will be as good as the first one though.

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
Not gonna lie, I think FE is more exciting than current F1. It's got gimmicky stuff, but fan boost > drs. I loved the power boost for losing time thing I can't remember the name of, adds that extra bit of strategy and clever people will use it to their advantage. The cars are much more equal and less predictable, although JEV seems to be insanely consistent and easily favourite for the title. Definitely think he's top half of F1 skill, and red bull messed up picking Kvyat over him in 2015.

Hopefully the races will be as good as the first one though.
Attack Mode is the "power boost for losing time thing" btw.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Watched the first 2 races and its clear as day that Vergne should have pissed both of them, even after dropping to the back after that T1 contact, he came from 21st 14+ secs back, to 6th just over 5 secs from the lead before the SC was deployed.

Also have to mention as much as I hold Dario (Franchitti) in high regard, I totally disagreed with his assessment of the 2 BMW's making contact during the race, for me it basically sound like he was insinuating (2 races into the season) that BMW should've done team orders simply because Da Costa won the first race, last time I checked it was a 13 race season, why shouldn't Sims try to win the race and get his own championship bid going.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
In fairness, Vergne was probably at his full pace while Da Costa was maintaining a gap, while Vergne was quickest all throughout the race, I don't think it was a guaranteed win unlike the first race until the drive through.

Fair to say that he's easily the favourite for the title though, although bookies have him at 2/1, which is more than good imo. D'ambrosio is also at 10/1 despite leading the championship by 12 points, its like they're giving away money! Although I can just see JEV running away with it, and Da Costa and Di Grassi fighting for 2nd with d'ambrosio in the mix somewhere.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
In fairness, Vergne was probably at his full pace while Da Costa was maintaining a gap, while Vergne was quickest all throughout the race, I don't think it was a guaranteed win unlike the first race until the drive through.

Fair to say that he's easily the favourite for the title though, although bookies have him at 2/1, which is more than good imo. D'ambrosio is also at 10/1 despite leading the championship by 12 points, its like they're giving away money! Although I can just see JEV running away with it, and Da Costa and Di Grassi fighting for 2nd with d'ambrosio in the mix somewhere.
If Vergne keeps throwing away potential race wins then D'Ambrosio could nick this championship through consistency.

xMinxG

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 1, 2016
FE looks to be a open wheel NASCAR discipline. Gimmicky, not for some, but a nice alternative on what Motorsport should be.