Formula Renault 3.5 - Final championship points calculated incorrecly | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Formula Renault 3.5 - Final championship points calculated incorrecly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Delisle

Pro Karter
Sep 2, 2018
Hi guys, I was originally going to send a PM for this but in the interest of full transparency and not wanting to feel like I'm going behind anyone's back I thought it would be best to bring this up publicly.

I've noticed only two drop weeks have been applied to the final championship points, which has resulted in the overall standings changing from what they would be otherwise. Here's the section of the rules concerning drop weeks:

"Overall, there are 3 drop weeks permitted. There will be 3 drop weeks, meaning that the points score from your 3 worst race nights will be dropped at the completion of the season. Any bonus points scored during a drop week will still count."

Unless it was a simple mistake, the only thing I can think of is that Montreal has been considered a drop week for everyone, as that round was never held due to occurring over Christmas. However, the wording of the rules specifically says "race nights", and as no race night was held this cannot be a drop week. 11 race nights were held, so it should be the top 8 scores that count, not 9.

I hate to do this because it feels like I'm disputing results, but the wording is clear and from the very beginning of the championship I based my drop rounds on this. Could this please be addressed?

Thanks

@McPhilen

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Hi guys, I was originally going to send a PM for this but in the interest of full transparency and not wanting to feel like I'm going behind anyone's back I thought it would be best to bring this up publicly.

I've noticed only two drop weeks have been applied to the final championship points, which has resulted in the overall standings changing from what they would be otherwise. Here's the section of the rules concerning drop weeks:

"Overall, there are 3 drop weeks permitted. There will be 3 drop weeks, meaning that the points score from your 3 worst race nights will be dropped at the completion of the season. Any bonus points scored during a drop week will still count."

Unless it was a simple mistake, the only thing I can think of is that Montreal has been considered a drop week for everyone, as that round was never held due to occurring over Christmas. However, the wording of the rules specifically says "race nights", and as no race night was held this cannot be a drop week. 11 race nights were held, so it should be the top 8 scores that count, not 9.

I hate to do this because it feels like I'm disputing results, but the wording is clear and from the very beginning of the championship I based my drop rounds on this. Could this please be addressed?

Thanks

@McPhilen
Hey Tim. This is also one of the reasons why I felt like it was time to have over the reigns to someone else. Making clerical errors like this among other things. In creation of this season, I had actually intended to run it as a season with 2 drop weeks, and in the sign-up thread I had posted so as well, and in my head the entire time I had it down as 2 drop weeks. The reason for this in this case is because initially, it was unknown whether or not Montreal would be run when creating the initial threads in the coordinator section, however by the time it came to posting them, I had made the decision (albeit only posting the decision in the Monza race thread, which was 7 days after actually making the decision), which meant that I changed the sign-ups thread to 2, completely forgetting to update the rules thread.

Will all that said, as it clearly states in the rules that it is 3 drop weeks, I will honour that (it's not really honouring as it's in the rules). I'll apologise now to anyone that was running the season thinking it was 2 due to reading the sign-up thread. I'm hoping more people were running it from the rules and regs as it should be rather than what's written in the sign-up thread.

Tim Delisle

Pro Karter
Sep 2, 2018
Oh no, I’m really sorry for the confusion! I honestly had no idea you’d posted about two drop weeks in other spots, or I never would have missed the third race. I feel bad about the situation, but I hope everyone is okay with the outcome. Thanks for honouring the rules, and I’m sorry to anyone who raced this season with the idea of only having two drops, it was never my intention to try to win through a loophole or anything like that. Congrats to Paul and James on the podium, it was great competition throughout. Thanks for everything Phil, I hope you enjoy the well deserved break from admin and can focus on the wheel to wheel action!

Status
Not open for further replies.