iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Date: 02/11/2018
Members Involved: Any/all
Lap & Corner:
Any incident that I notice
Description: General racing etiquette, overly aggressive driving, failing to slow down for incidents, all of that good stuff and more. It's been noticed from last season on that there an annoying lack of ability to race in a congested field without there being an incident. People aren't considering others driving around them might be quicker or slower than their usual competitor. Also other issues with people being overly aggressive on the early laps, particularly in the sprint, trying to charge through the field in a way that can cause incidents. Basically I'll be looking through this race for any stuff happening that can be deemed bad driving, even if it didn't actually result in any incident, and we'll go from there. They may not be anything brought up.

Please still bring up individual incidents as you normally would, as it will make life easier.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I should add, if anyone saw anything, or was involved in anything all race, whether it led to an incident or not, post in here. Maybe we can use this here as a potential discussion area.

Scott Newton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2017
L1 T1.

Minding my own business not being overly aggressive (as I have to with a minimum 400 ping) and then a driver (I am not going to post any names here) fires it up the inside, goes way too deep, loses the backend, goes over the kerb and T-Bones me through another driver. I tried to salvage a reverse pole position but I was caught with 1 lap to go not wanting to get in the way of the leaders (I would have been up **** creek without a paddle if I did that).

Admittedly I had a poor qualifying as I didn't prepare but to have that happen at 340/440am (depending on GMT/BST) just gets demotivating to get up early in the morning. Although it happens rarely which is a good thing but it's something that shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Lubomir Moric

Pro Karter
Oct 2, 2017
I do wonder if some positive motivation for not being over aggressive or not pushing over own limits will help here. Some example which can be fine-tuned, like more bonus points for low INC drivers:
* 0 INC long race: 8 championship points (CP)
* 1..3 INC long race: 6, 4, 2 CP
* short race: 4 CP for 0 INC (1, 2, 3 INC -> 3, 2, 1 CP)
* sprint: 4 CP for 0 INC (1, 2, 3 INC -> 3, 2, 1 CP)
* requirement is to finish within a same lap as a winner to claim bonus safety points (to avoid people just trying to slowly circle around to hunt for 0 INC) and not causing any avoidable crash (but in that case driver mostly gets 4 INC so (s)he is already out of bonus points any way)

other option:
* CP points are reduced by percentage of INC from INC cap: e.g. when 15 INC is the cap and driver do 5 INC, CP points are reduced by 30%

Although I see some extra overhead work for race managers.

Point is to basically motivate people to just finish their races as they will also profit not just by positions, but also safety driving - loosing some positions is still ok, as they will get those points from safety.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
So I've finally gone through watching the race and it looks like there were quite a few incidents. There were a few not on lap 1 but they aren't going to be stewarded as I decided to do this after the race and it wouldn't be fair to have changed the stewarding for it. However I will still mention them here. Other things that were brought up were things like over aggressive driving, but again won't be penalised as there was no incident involved in these situations. At this point, I would remind people to remember in the rule section that it mentions not to drive in an overly aggressive manner. The lap 1 stuff will still be penalised like normal.

I'll get round to posting updates from this. I know it's taken a while but I actually went through it twice. The first time it took forever as I looked at basically everything, but didn't record, and the second time I took recordings.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I will say now though, the most obvious thing noticeable about the big crash in the feature race is the amount of drivers who approach the incident in different ways, mostly coming in too fast initially, but also the second part slightly further down after the corner where people tried to instantly start racing again even though there were still cars going slow/spun around.