GSRC Broadcast Info, Suggestions, and Comments | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GSRC Broadcast Info, Suggestions, and Comments

UrBaNz Octane x

AOR iRacing Formula Renault 2.0 S7 Champion
Jul 27, 2015
Apart from those few issues at the start I really enjoyed the broadcast. Sean was very eagle eyed seeing me spin off at turn 1 in the sprint race and calling it o_O

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
Was there some technical difficulties at the start of the feature race last night? Because about ten words were uttered during the first lap, where a lot of action happens.

Wasn't very GSRC-y. :p
I think Bill's computer froze up at the start and took a while to recover. For whatever reason, Donington is a hog on resources. You could tell on the start where the stream turned into a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. Given that and with Sean still trying to get his feet under a new assignment... yeah.... not the best start there. I think we found our groove later on in the race, but the feature is definitely not going into our showcase portfolio. :unsure:

I think we really shined for the sprint race. That is more representative of the quality we try to put into our broadcasts.

• Informative
Reactions: Stevie and Rin Hato

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Not buying the “I wanted the let the action speak for itself” excuse.

Yep, I had and issue, and after replaying the events in my mind, I figured it out.

Without giving away any trade secrets, here is what happened. (if anyone cares about the details)

1) Qualifying is over, race session launches and I realize I do not have the right camera set in iRacing to call the action. No problem, very easy fix.

2) Uh oh, my transparent track map overlay (window is always on top) is covering up the iRacing camera select section. (no problem again, easy to move) so I move the map overlay over some. (this was the cause of all my troubles)

3) Load the correct camera set while calling the grid with Crackers

4) Time to call the start, yikes, iRacing will not let me select the drivers. Try as I might, I am stuck on Vittorio Saltalamacchia. So now, it is decision time, I either reload iRacing, or call the whole race from the perspective of Vittorio Saltalamacchia. I choose reload.

5) iRacing re-load fast, I move my track map overlay back where it belongs, but now, the software I use to identify drivers is all screwed up. Its shows Adam Tierney in the lead.

6) Reboot that software and I am finally good to go.

The cause of the whole problem was when I moved my transparent overlay out of the way to select a camera, I forgot to put it back. When I tried to select the drivers, the track map overlay was covering the drivers name, and it is transparent to I did not realize iRacing was not the active window.

More info than you needed, but that is what happened.

By the way, you guys are going to love Sean Ambrose. Once he gets familiar with you all, he is very good at what he does.

Bad news for you all is, my references are American based from fifty years ago, Sean’s are American based from about 35 years ago.

Not sure a 25 year old Duthcman will have any idea what we are talking about. Keep google handy.

Reactions: Tye and Rin Hato

Scott Newton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2017
Not buying the “I wanted the let the action speak for itself” excuse.

Yep, I had and issue, and after replaying the events in my mind, I figured it out.

Without giving away any trade secrets, here is what happened. (if anyone cares about the details)

1) Qualifying is over, race session launches and I realize I do not have the right camera set in iRacing to call the action. No problem, very easy fix.

2) Uh oh, my transparent track map overlay (window is always on top) is covering up the iRacing camera select section. (no problem again, easy to move) so I move the map overlay over some. (this was the cause of all my troubles)

3) Load the correct camera set while calling the grid with Crackers

4) Time to call the start, yikes, iRacing will not let me select the drivers. Try as I might, I am stuck on Vittorio Saltalamacchia. So now, it is decision time, I either reload iRacing, or call the whole race from the perspective of Vittorio Saltalamacchia. I choose reload.

5) iRacing re-load fast, I move my track map overlay back where it belongs, but now, the software I use to identify drivers is all screwed up. Its shows Adam Tierney in the lead.

6) Reboot that software and I am finally good to go.

The cause of the whole problem was when I moved my transparent overlay out of the way to select a camera, I forgot to put it back. When I tried to select the drivers, the track map overlay was covering the drivers name, and it is transparent to I did not realize iRacing was not the active window.

More info than you needed, but that is what happened.

By the way, you guys are going to love Sean Ambrose. Once he gets familiar with you all, he is very good at what he does.

Bad news for you all is, my references are American based from fifty years ago, Sean’s are American based from about 35 years ago.

Not sure a 25 year old Duthcman will have any idea what we are talking about. Keep google handy.
I know exactly how you feel with iRTVO Crashing every so often when broadcasting. Luckily iRacing hasnt crashed on me so far during such events

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
Well, it was very fun to watch for sure! Good job :) I't must be hard when drivers change between season's...GSRC commentators will get familiar with aor drivers when season rolls on so it get's even better. :)

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
I know exactly how you feel with iRTVO Crashing every so often when broadcasting. Luckily iRacing hasnt crashed on me so far during such events
Oh yes... it's incredible how fragile these broadcasts can be. I still have PTSD over losing power twice while streaming for one of the official iRacing 24 hour broadcasts. That kind of stuff keeps a man awake at night. :nailbiting:

• Agree
Reactions: Scott Newton

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Hey @Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC @Sean Ambrose @HardDrop @mulletech
I really enjoyed yesterday's broadcast, absolutely amazing job!

You're both also right about the teens not being unlucky in horror movies and how that applies to our sprint races. Awesome analysis :rofl:

Also, watching back the sprint race I do agree that it is a lot more exciting to watch and more exciting for you guys to cover. There again were some issues/crashes and I'm sure the stewards will look into that.
I'm just glad I had a good time yesterday without any big issues.

The way you covered my moving up the field in the sprint was amazing. My heart rate was very high during those moves.
On the live stream it was if Bill knew exactly what was going to happen and I loved that part.

I've been lacking in the interview part but I'll make sure that I will be joining you guys in the interview box more often :)

Thanks for the coverage! Loved it!

Last edited:

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
Glad you enjoyed it. It definitely felt like a good broadcast from behind the scenes.

We tried a new idea regarding lap 1 replays on the sprint race, where we showed them after the race. To be honest, I thought of that on the spot during the race. Curious to know what you guys think of that. I think it's the better compromise between keeping the action live and showing what happened during the most chaotic part of the race.

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Yikes, I typed this on my phone before seeing Gunar and Amjed's post. Oh well, I will paste it in anyway as is.

Hope you guys enjoyed the broadcast, we at GSRC thought it went well.

a few points.

COLOR CRACKERS
As the color guy, Sean does his homework to understand the car and track. There were a few times when I got in his way. I was describing the incident, my partner wanted to explained it. That is a good problem to have.

GSRC SPIN
Hope we were not too tough about driver complaints. GSRC does not like to fan the flames of controversy, but the reverse grid is an elephant in the room that we could/can not ignore. GSRC always tries to support the rules package that was written by the series organizers who are responsible for choosing which broadcast company gets the contract. My analogy that top tier drivers caught up in early incidents are NOT unlucky, but rather a victim of poor judgment like teenagers in a horror movie is pretty weak for sure, but it is FUN, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

REPLAYS IN POST RACE SHOW
Amjed came up with the idea of reviewing first lap incidents in the post race show. I loved it, and we will improve on the technique in the future. It give Sean and I a chance to review the incident during the break so we can describe it in detail. It also does not steal from the live action. Hope you all like the new format.

BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY
Sean and I always try to give both sides of the story when placing blame on a driver. Sometimes it is hard to see more than one side. But an example of doing it right was the Mittner punt of Tacaks. "Late breaking from Mittner, early breaking from Tacaks, you make the call." Post race testimony from Tacaks showed it was early breaking.

See you down the road, at Road Atlanta.

Last edited:

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Feedback of Road Atlanta:

No disrespect, and admittedly this was due to him not being able to race. But having Jake also trying to commentate alongside Bill and Sean was messy. Two's company, three's a crowd.

Two commentators ebb and flow and the commentary feels natural. When one stops talking, the other starts. But there's always slight hesitation with a third commentator as there's uncertainty on who should talk. There were a few times where Jake cut off Sean a few times and it made for uncomfortable hearing.

Bill and Sean are a good duo, adding a third commentator just became a little erratic, especially as Jake seemed to take over the commentary.

Top marks by the way for bearing with us whilst we try to work around iRacing's problems, unfortunate it wasn't to be but glad you stuck with us whilst we tried.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Feedback of Road Atlanta:

No disrespect, and admittedly this was due to him not being able to race. But having Jake also trying to commentate alongside Bill and Sean was messy. Two's company, three's a crowd.

Two commentators ebb and flow and the commentary feels natural. When one stops talking, the other starts. But there's always slight hesitation with a third commentator as there's uncertainty on who should talk. There were a few times where Jake cut off Sean a few times and it made for uncomfortable hearing.

Bill and Sean are a good duo, adding a third commentator just became a little erratic, especially as Jake seemed to take over the commentary.

Top marks by the way for bearing with us whilst we try to work around iRacing's problems, unfortunate it wasn't to be but glad you stuck with us whilst we tried.
I don't agree with this. I actually really enjoyed it with the 3 of you. There was so much action in the feature race that an extra pair of eyes made it a lot easier to catch all the action. Sure there's going to be times where 2 or even 3 commentators see some action and want to say something about it but I think Soup, Sean and Jake have enough experience do deal with those situations.
It didn't bother me at all and really enjoyed it! Well done guys!

Also shout out to @HardDrop for switching the cameras so damn fast each time a driver was called out! You hardly missed anything with the camera work. Very nicely done!!

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
really liked the broadcast :) unfortunately the sprintrace got cancelled due too iracing doing a sudden strike :D

I am getting there....donington lap 1 crash, spa lap 10 crash, road atlanta lap 19 crash....probably gonna crash on the final lap in brazil :D

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I haven't seen the broadcast back yet, but I've very rarely enjoyed any broadcast that had more than 2 commentators. I think the only time I've ever enjoyed it were when there's either nothing happening, or there was one time where during F1 (I think last season at Silverstone), where Webber joined in with the regular C4 broadcast. Just something about it doesn't work well with me at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Rin Hato

Erkka Lindstrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2014
i think it was good to have jake on air too. I feel he just catch up many things about drivers perspective what happened around track. :)

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
What happens to the inverse grid format is for AOR to decide, but for a commentator, Sprint races are a blast to call!!!
agree with the blast....most of the times a big blast in my sidepod...rear suspension...front suspension....gearbox..... :D

• Agree
Reactions: Era

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Sometimes drivers have bad races, sometimes commentators have bad races.

We the commentators never got into a rhythm for Germany. I am blaming Sean’s decision to go with apple juice instead of his traditional Monster Energy drink before the race.

Knut, I finally found the e-mail about the penalties.

Because I’m an idiot, next time please send a dedicated e-mail for specific race news. It was at the bottom of the GSRC payment chain and I didn’t read it all.

Sorry, again.

VIR will be great.

Also, if the individual race results can be posted by my bedtime Thursday, I can update the points to include dropped races.

Soup Out.