GSRC Broadcast Info, Suggestions, and Comments | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GSRC Broadcast Info, Suggestions, and Comments

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
The VIR race was SOOOO fantastic.

Thanks, thanks, and more thanks for allowing GSRC to cover this series.

When you guys give us that kind of product, it is so much fun to broadcast.

Condolences to all those whose misfortune made the race so dramatic, but man, what an exciting event to cover, both the feature and the sprint.

And a personal slap on the back to our director. He has turned the art of directing into a science. I watch a lot of broadcast from all of different sim broadcasting companies, and nobody does a better job of covering the actions, and helping the commentators tell the story of the race better than Amjed Yamin.

Man I'm giddy after that race.

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
More tales of behind the scenes...

I don't know what it is, but every now and then my connection to iRacing's servers becomes flakey. Unfortunately, today was a day it didn't want to fully cooperate. The desync at the beginning of the broadcast introduced a bug I've never seen before. I guess it was becuase the desync happened during the changeover between practice and qualy, but at one point the cars were moving around without drivers! Wish I would have taken a screenshot or something, but it was pretty crazy to see ghosts behind the wheels. So that's why there was no video for a while after the lap guide... I was having to reboot iRacing and the overlay software.

Hope you guys enjoyed the show even with the few desyncs during the action. :D

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Hi guys, just to touch on the longer pitstops that sometimes occur. I've noticed that these cause some confusion in the comm box so hopefully I can provide some insight for you.

Drivers will usually never take tyres. The longer pitstops are triggered by an automatic front wing change that takes place if your wing has taken any damage. The driver cannot undo a front wing change even if they have accumulated damage but feel no performance disadvantage. So you are essentially forced to take the change, even if the damage is 'cosmetic'. If the car is put up on the jacks, this is normally a giveaway sign that a front wing change is taking place.

Some of the kerbs tend to play havoc with the 2.0s, and for some reason cause damage. I haven't actually looked back at my feature race so I'm still unsure where I picked up my mystery damage. Needless to say it ruined my race as I had eyes on 2nd, but ended up fighting for 4th/5th.

EDIT: Actually I've just checked my replay and I can see no visual damage whatsoever so I still don't have a clue what caused the damage.

Let's play spot the difference:

Last edited:

Tekesh

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 5 Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 11, 2015
I'm sorry Kerry, but I donated a generous amount to iracing and in return they promised to help me get closer to the team above us in the championship, hence why both you and Phil had the same issue.

• Winner
Reactions: UrBaNz Octane x

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Okay,

Copse NOT Corpse (reading from the overlay not my brain)

SimRC NOT SimRT (leading from the logo not the script)

Congrats Gianni on your 2nd NOT congrats on your first series win (reading from brain not iRacing results)

Thanks you for watching NOT Welcome Back (reading wrong part of script, duh)

---I'm sure there are more.....yikes.

Apparently there is no limit to my stupidity...but keep watching, we may find it.

That said, thanks for the great racing guys. I think we told the story of the races pretty well.

See you next round.

Last edited:

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Hey all,
I hope you enjoyed Joe Peak sitting in for Sean "Crackers" Ambrose. In my opinion, Joe is the BEST Sim race broadcaster in the business.
His hands were tied doing color commentary as I don't have the race expertise to that job.
If you ever get the chance to hear Joe call a race as lead commentator, you'd understand how good he can be.
That said, Soup & Crackers will be together again for the rest of the season. Sean and I have done a ton of races together and it will be good to get that chemistry back into the broadcast.
Thanks for letting GSRC be your broadcasting company.

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Two Topics
1) Amjed Yamin's Great Camera Work
2) Point Standings

The GSRC bosses are not crazy about the commentators being self promoting and complementing our own work, but in this case I must. This piece of camera work from Sean and my director, Amjed Yamin is jaw dropping.

Remember, he has a million things to do at once, nevertheless, he finds Osterkamp coming into the pits, switches to an on board shot looking ahead, to let the viewer understand where Osterkamp is going, then pans back to find Takacs coming up fast, then pans back, smoothly, and follows Takacs making the pass.

There is no set-up time, no second takes, Amjed makes it work as it is happening. That is some slick artistic camera there.

2) Point Standings
Christian, good catch on the points. The order was right, taking into account the dropped races, however, the actual point total was not updated from a previous round. Below is the incorrect graphic used for the round 11 broadcast.

Below, is the current updated standings, thru event 11, that will be shown for the season finale. Maybe Lorents can double check the GSRC numbers with his to insure we have the total right for the broadcast.

Here is the graphic for team points used for the last broadcast. I believe it is correct, using the totals including the two dropped races.

Below is the updated team totals through event 11 that will be used on the season finale broadcast. Again, maybe Lorentz could double check our numbers.

Thanks....and good luck

Last edited:

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
Hey Soup, thanks for having a look into it.

One thing, which confuses me are still the drivers' standings - based on Fisi's ranking table and 2 dropweeks applied i come to a different standings for the first 3, while calculating

Points-after-Dropweeks // Name // Dropweek Numbers // Dropweek Events
288 Kristian Takacs (-14, -18) for Road Atlanta and Donington as Dropweeks
292 Rene Osterkamp (-0, -18) for Donington and Road Atlanta
292 Christian Koch (-0, -12) for Suzuka and Road Atlanta

Fisi's Rankings:
https://apexonlineracing.com/community/pages/FormulaRenault20S5Results/

Please someone to double check that. Maybe I'm wrong all over it. :)

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014

One thing, which confuses me are still the drivers' standings - based on Fisi's ranking table and 2 dropweeks applied i come to a different standings for the first 3, while calculating

Fisi's Rankings:

The standings table currently has only 1 drop week applied. Also, there could be discrepancy with the bonus points stuff?

Christian Koch

Apr 5, 2016
The standings table currently has only 1 drop week applied. Also, there could be discrepancy with the bonus points stuff?
yeah i know, thats why i added the 2nd dropweek manually to see the truth; bonus points are implemented in Fisi's sheet already, if i didn't oversee anything.

There has to be some other discrepancy between Soup's and Fisi's standings, which i cannot identify.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014

Fisi's Rankings:

*edit*

Last edited:

Christian Koch

Apr 5, 2016
Thanks mate, would be a bit confusing if we would have 2 different champs in stream and on the table sheet.
LOL

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Two Topics
2) Point Standings

The GSRC bosses are not crazy about the commentators being self promoting and complementing our own work, but in this case I must. This piece of camera work from Sean and my director, Amjed Yamin is jaw dropping.

Remember, he has a million things to do at once, nevertheless, he finds Osterkamp coming into the pits, switches to an on board shot looking ahead, to let the viewer understand where Osterkamp is going, then pans back to find Takacs coming up fast, then pans back, smoothly, and follows Takacs making the pass.

There is no set-up time, no second takes, Amjed makes it work as it is happening. That is some slick artistic camera there.

2) Point Standings
Christian, good catch on the points. The order was right, taking into account the dropped races, however, the actual point total was not updated from a previous round. Below is the incorrect graphic used for the round 11 broadcast.

Below, is the current updated standings, thru event 11, that will be shown for the season finale. Maybe Lorents can double check the GSRC numbers with his to insure we have the total right for the broadcast.

Here is the graphic for team points used for the last broadcast. I believe it is correct, using the totals including the two dropped races.

Below is the updated team totals through event 11 that will be used on the season finale broadcast. Again, maybe Lorentz could double check our numbers.

Thanks....and good luck

@Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Hi Bill,

I cannot make any Soup nor Crackers out of your standings ;-)

I am a bit confused about the term "pocket points" you are using.....This terms sounds like drivers got these points as some sort of extra :D

I'll explain the current championship situation:

Christian Koch scored 304 points this season so far. And only got 9 drop week points so far (0x suzuka and 9x Virginia) so he is on 295 with 2 drop weeks applied.

Osterkamp scored 310 points this season so far but got 18 points with his weeks dropped (0x donington and 18x road atlanta) so he is on 292 with both drop weeks applied.

Kristian Takacs scored most points this season so far: 320 points but he got the most drop weeks points 32 (14x from Road atlanta and 18x from either spa or donington) so far with those two drop weeks applied he is on 288.

Gunar Nijenhuis scored 266 points so far this season. (since he missed multiple races Virginia and Montreal he got 0x from drop weeks). So he is on 266 with both drop weeks applied.

the official tables on the site shows the scoring with 1 drop week applied.

So that would be:

Osterkamp 310 (only 0x donington applied as a drop week)
Kristian Takacs 306 (only 14x from Road Atalanta applied as a drop week)
Christian Koch 304 (only 0x suzuka applied as a drop week)
Gunar 266 (since he missed 2 GP's this season his drop weeks will be 0x)

so for the overlay you can choose either 1 drop week applied or 2 weeks applied for the standing.

if Koch scores 9 or less points in Monza that will be his drop week so potential score is :

304 - 9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/0 = 295/296/297/298/299/300/301/302/303/304

if Koch scores 10 or more points (maximum 57 with bonus points) in monza he can score between:

305-352

if Osterkamp scores 18 or less points in Monza that will be his drop week so potential score is:

310 - 18/17/16/15/14/13/12/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/0 = 292/293/294/295/296/297/298/299/300/301/302/303/304/305/306/307/308/309/310

if Osterkamp scores 19 or more points (maximum 57 with bonus points) in monza he can score between:

311-367

if Takacs scores 18 or less points in monza that will be his drop week so potential score is:

320 - 32/31/30/29/28/27 etc between 288 and 306

if takacs scores 19 or more points (maximum 57 with bonus points) he can score between:

307 - 345

gunar cannot lose any points since he allready got 2 weeks with 0x dropped) so he can score (maximum 57 with bonus points) anything between:

266 - 323

• Useful
Reactions: Kez and FisiFan91

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
Wait, Kristian has scored the most points but after drop weeks he's 3rd?

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Well explained @Lorrentz it's so easy to lose track with what's going on in the standings.

I hope the guys in comms keep up, it is why we pay them the big bucks after all ;)