GT3 Car Balancing | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GT3 Car Balancing

ILRT_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
Most of the GT3 cars balance isnt the question of removing weight and adding HP. (Well maybe some) But some of those cars are literally **** to drive. Im just very curious as to what they did to the Ferrari compared to the other cars to make it so stable for an hour :p
It seems to me that sms have an obligation to keep the 488 at the top of the pile when it comes to the gt3 class :unsure: even if it's by a tiny amount. we are 5 patches in and it still leads the pack plus IMO it's better to drive than it was before. I'm probably completely wrong but to me it seems sms might have had conditions from Ferrari when getting the licence to use the brand.

KrypticTMG

F1 Reserve Driver
Apr 4, 2015
To be honest when the game 1st came out it was pretty obvious the Ferrari was super fast over 1 lap and even better in race conditions but i did races in the Mclaren and porsche and they were not as quick but were still very consistent over a race but it just seems like after each patch some of these cars are getting worst to drive over a race distance. I used the Audi in season 8 and if you don't put your engine braking up quite high at some point the car will just randomly spin out from the rear with no warning, but having that extra engine braking means more understeer more fuel usage stiffer springs or more downforce, it sort of backs you into a corner in terms of setup so you end up running what is safe not what is fast if you know what i mean.

ILRT_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
So apart from the 488 what are the 2 next best cars in everyone opinion. Might not have any time between s9 and s10 to get into them much, I was thinking bmw or Audi would be the cars to challenge the fezza the most.

Renoldo1990

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 10, 2018
You can't really tell. It really depends on the track and your preferences.

Just my evaluation - after hours of BoP-Testing:

For N/a-Cars Porsche and AMG are the best allrounders. Both are really really strong. Lambo and Audi are basically the same car, but the Audi has a front wing - so the Lamborghini is unbeatable at tracks with Long-Straights (+ no altitude) while the Audi might be stronger on twisting tracks and at Race-Pace. The Ginetta might also be worth a try. Got it to low 59's at Silverstone and broke the WR at Monaco. This car is really amazing at certain tracks.

For Turbo-Cars i'd say the M6 is clearly the best contender over a season. Followed by Renault (which might not be the fastest, but easy to drive) and McLaren (hard to drive & fast, but clearly not as fast as the M6)

My (subjective!) List with Patch 5 for Race-Pace; not Hotlapping is:

1.) Ferrari
2.) Porsche (was super fast even before the Patch, but got also faster at Race-Pace now), M6 (clearly best Turbo-Car for me)
3.) AMG (Might be faster than Porsche on many tracks, but It don't fits my driving style -> subjective)
4.) Audi, Lamborghini (Cornering vs. Straights - on an 'average' track the Audi wins over Lambo)
5.) Ginetta (the dark horse - for me the best car on some tracks - Brno, Monaco, Oschersleben for example, but it gets left without any chance at tracks with Long-Straights)
6.) Renault (very very easy to drive, but lacks potential + gets understeery often in Race-Pace)
7.) McLaren (quite bitchy, but you can definitely get it fast)
8.) Nissan (maybe even faster than McLaren, but also hard to drive)
9.) Cadillac (easier to drive, but slower)
10.) Bentley (close to Cadillac)
11.) Acura (second easiest to drive car after the Renault in my opinion but aprox 0,5 seconds off on average)
12.) Aston (yeah, better don't take this one :D)

Didn't try out Z4 and SLS by now. Could imagine the Z4 might be as fast as the Ginetta on certain tracks.

The differences between the cars from 1) to 6.) are really close - I think they are all capable of race wins at a track which perfectly fits them. The other cars are the underdogs for me.

VSR Thomasethan

PS4 Triple Crown Le Mans LMP1-H tier 1 Winner
Apr 10, 2018
Even though I don’t race in S9 of GT3 I thought I’d mention some stuff I found, myself and a friend have been testing the Audi R8 and comparing times with drivers from the Pro tier and majority of the time we were faster or on similar pace, I disagree with the Ferrari being OP it’s a good car like AMG GT GT3 and Lambo but the Audi performance wise is actually the best when I compared all the stats of the cars. The Audi is a very versatile car which can easily be adapted if the driver has an understanding of setup and track conditions, I don’t mind there being a few cars of the same manufacturer it’s reminiscent of real life, but it wouldn’t hurt for some variety :)

Last edited:

ToniLuzar58

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 20, 2018
Even though I don’t race in S9 of GT3 I thought I’d mention some stuff I found, myself and a friend have been testing the Audi R8 and comparing times with drivers from the Pro tier and majority of the time we were faster or on similar pace, I disagree with the Ferrari being OP it’s a good car like AMG GT GT3 and Lambo but the Audi performance wise is actually the best when I compared all the stats of the cars. The Audi is a very versatile car which can easily be adapted if the driver has an understanding of setup and track conditions, I don’t mind there being a few cars of the same manufacturer it’s reminiscent of real life, but it wouldn’t hurt for some variety :)
Did you try an Audi at Bathurst?

Shooter80

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
I posted it in a different thread, but this seems a good place to discuss it.

One of the advantages the 488 has is that it uses less fuel per lap, making it lighter than most of its competition, especially at the start of the race. Some races it needed almost 20L less on the grid than the M6 did. If there was a 100L minimum fuel load in place for next season (which can be checked via spectating on the formation lap) that might go some way to balancing things out.

Or, it could even go as far as specified minimum fuel loads per car, or per track (or even per driver, but I wouldn't like that).

Its far from an ideal solution, but seems better than banning the Ferrari, and might be better than having half/most of the grid using it.

Last edited:

jaycoool

Formula 3 Test Driver
Feb 6, 2018
Is there any way to see or calculate the power to weight ratios of the GT3 cars with the actual HP and weights that are set ingame in this moment? As I learned, the weights and HP's on the car selection screens are not the actual numbers after the BOP in the patches up to now.

We have a S10 race calendar which is 183 meters / 600 feet lower on average than S9, so I'm wondering if choosing an NA-car would not be as unfavourable as last season.

Last edited:

Gwegwyn

Formula 3 1st Driver
Mar 13, 2017
@jaycoool One could run a car at a track close to sea-level and see what power it produces. Then run it at 2 tracks which are x and 2x higher and extrapolate the power vs hight. This is assuming the game is based on reallife powerloss at x hight. I do not know how to verify the weight of the cars itself.

IRL there is roughly 3% powerloss per 1000 ft of elevation for NA cars.

Reactions: jaycoool

Shooter80

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
@jaycoool There are a few people that created 3rd party apps that allow you to do a 'dyno' run with a car and see the power and torque in a graph. Not sure how they calculate this though.

The only one I know that is publically available is PC2Tuner, but its not free:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62171-PC2Tuner-Engineering-Tune-Visualization&p=1513057&viewfull=1#post1513057

I believe the actual weights of the cars can be extracted from Jussi's suspension calculator tool, PC2Tuner lists them too, not sure if that is taken from the game stats, or from Jussi's calc.

Might be worth asking for more details in the PC2Tuner Discord, the main guy Zeratall (SRO Zerrax in Discord) usually answers fast, and is happy to help.

NOTE: I'm not involved with PC2Tuner in any way, just came across it and Zerrax in Discord, and we talk about car setups sometimes.

N1kmido

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Sep 17, 2016
I´ve just posted one more time on the official forum regarding this topic. If you have experiences, opinions or anything else to add please do it there. I believe the GT3 balancing is really good right now and we´re only a few steps away from having it awesome.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?53613-GT3-car-balancing&p=1516144#post1516144

Tagging @KrypticTMG @Shooter80 @Stephan @Suomy as I´ve seen you guys testing quite a bit with different cars. But of course everyone is invited to contribute your part. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephan

jaycoool

Formula 3 Test Driver
Feb 6, 2018
I´ve just posted one more time on the official forum regarding this topic. If you have experiences, opinions or anything else to add please do it there. I believe the GT3 balancing is really good right now and we´re only a few steps away from having it awesome.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?53613-GT3-car-balancing&p=1516144#post1516144

Tagging @KrypticTMG @Shooter80 @Stephan @Suomy as I´ve seen you guys testing quite a bit with different cars.
how about this?: all of them are Nurburgring GP times with default setup, patch 1.6. The previous wr's got shattered by @Speeddmon91 by a mile. And how on earth can the LMS be on top, when it's probably lacking 25 - 30 hp in this altitude?

Attachments

N1kmido

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Sep 17, 2016
how about this?: all of them are Nurburgring GP times with default setup, patch 1.6. The previous wr's got shattered by @Speeddmon91 by a mile. And how on earth can the LMS be on top, when it's probably lacking 25 - 30 hp in this altitude?
Good point but there are a few important things to consider:

1. He did it with default setups. The R8 is good on default whereas I´m not surprised to see other cars at the bottom which default setups are "in need of improvement" (e.g GT-R, 650S)

2. He did all the other cars before the Audi so he had at least ~2 hours of practice on this track before using one of the best cars.

3. We don´t know how much experience he had in every car. Looking at the current S10 TT he did it with the Audi too. If he drove all the other cars for the first time (I´m exaggerating intentionally here) it wouldn´t be a surprise to see him setting the fastest time with his favourite car. Also TT is always a completely different story compared to race pace.

Reactions: jaycoool

jaycoool

Formula 3 Test Driver
Feb 6, 2018
1:54xx on Nurburgring GP in any of these cars - with default setup - is just insane!