GT3 Car selection limits? | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GT3 Car selection limits?

Ulti

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 5, 2016
Hello guys.

So I've been spectating the whole season 11 and it seems like I'm rather watching a Hurucan GT3 Cup than a GT3 league itself. Will there ever be a limit to a certain car to make the league more 'interesting'.

Just my 2 cents :)

Marvin

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
This has been suggested multiple times, but we don't like to put a limit on a car. We don't want certain drivers to be able to drive a car that others won't be able to. Currently we're looking how to avoid a similar situation for next season as we understand that it sucks to have so little variation on the grid.

Nagrom

GP2 1st Driver
Feb 26, 2018
I wonder why there are so many lambos now. Last season we were "only" 5 lambo drivers in Tier 1.
And I don't remember any patch buffing the lambo since S10 ?

But yeah I agree with Marvin, you can't put limit onto the number of cars without frustrating some drivers that cannot drive the car they like.

Ulti

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 5, 2016
I mean I know of some leagues around that do most things on a 'first come first serve' basis. So whoever picks those cars first can drive them. This kinda makes the sign up an important date and I think it can also somehow bring in more numbers in some way

Martynvr

F1 2nd Driver
Mar 28, 2016
I think we should run 2 cars and make the lowest pointer/ slowest driver choose first, with this variation you get 8 different cars with hopefully simulair pace

NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
From my point of view over the many seasons I have raced it seem that the top guy picks a car and the sheep follow

igor55

DiRT Coordinator
DiRT Coordinator
Aug 7, 2017
@Martynvr I like that idea, but what about newcomers? And I'm also afraid some will quit because they aren't driving a car they like. Which is understandable. All of this wouldn't be a discussion when the BoP was good tho.
@NICK-NITRO completely agree with you there. But tbh it's understandable, esspecially if you're new.

Last edited:

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
I don't think this would be good because:
-Depending on the track, a different car could be fastest in GT3 with the Ferrari banned(with no major BoP changes Lambo has replaced Audi as most popular GT3)
-Players lose interest if they drive a car they don't enjoy and may pull out
-Players may have a favourite car
-Players who have less time may use the same car in every season, being able to use previous setups instead of creating a new one every week
-Players may want to have a certain teammate, and this may mean they can't
-Players may be forced to have a certain teammate or car by a sponsor(particularly eSports teams)

And several more reasons

NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
@Martynvr I like that idea, but what about newcomers? And I'm also afraid some will quit because they aren't driving a car they like. Which is understandable. All of this wouldn't be a discussion when the BoP was good tho.
@NICK-NITRO completely agree with you there. But tbh it's understandable, esspecially if you're new.
yes your right mate, it’s a real shame and it will be the same in s12, for example if say jardier or one of the other top pc guys pick say the m6! You will see it been like the lambo this season, I might be completely wrong we will just have to see what s12 pans out like,

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
yes your right mate, it’s a real shame and it will be the same in s12, for example if say jardier or one of the other top pc guys pick say the m6! You will see it been like the lambo this season, I might be completely wrong we will just have to see what s12 pans out like,
I'm hoping that won't happen :)

igor55

DiRT Coordinator
DiRT Coordinator
Aug 7, 2017
Exactly, but the problem starts with the bad BoP of the game.

NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
Exactly, but the problem starts with the bad BoP of the game.
Yes it very poor and we just have the same old cars in the grid every season

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Feb 28, 2018
Yes it very poor and we just have the same old cars in the grid every season
On the PC side we actually don't. It looks to me like there is a new most popular car every season. S9 was Ferrari, S10 I think it was Audi and now it is Lambo. So no matter what we do, I don't think this will change and there will always be a car that is more popular than others. I personally don't support the idea of limiting the number of times a car can be selected.

Davis

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Jun 9, 2018
How does the Ferrari look against Lambo at the moment?

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 13, 2018
How about this: car selection is free apart from people cannot pick the same car they have raced in last one or two seasons? That way there is a chance to see a little more variation.

Also, the car selections could be done "behind closed curtains" in a way to prevent people seeing what other people choose to race. Perhaps this would prevent the sheep herd effect? But then it is not possible to purposefully choose less used car... :unsure:

Nagrom

GP2 1st Driver
Feb 26, 2018
Also, the car selections could be done "behind closed curtains" in a way to prevent people seeing what other people choose to race. Perhaps this would prevent the sheep herd effect?
I think this is a good idea !

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
How about this: car selection is free apart from people cannot pick the same car they have raced in last one or two seasons? That way there is a chance to see a little more variation.

Also, the car selections could be done "behind closed curtains" in a way to prevent people seeing what other people choose to race. Perhaps this would prevent the sheep herd effect? But then it is not possible to purposefully choose less used car... :unsure:
For the first point, I drive the same car every season simply because I go for the one I am most comfortable in.
For the second point, I like the idea it is just more effort.