PC - GT3 S8 Pro - R2: Circuit de Spa Francorchamps 15/11/2017 @ 8PM | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC GT3 S8 Pro - R2: Circuit de Spa Francorchamps 15/11/2017 @ 8PM

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016

ROUND 2 - Circuit de Spa Francorchamps
Event Information:
Date: Wednesday 15 November 2017
Lobby opens: 7:45pm (UK time)
● Event starts: 8:00pm (UK time)
● Event format:
- Qualifying: 15 minutes
- Race: 26 Laps (1 formation lap + 25 racing laps)

● Weather Conditions: (Sync-to-race weather progression)
- Quali: Clear
- Race: Clear

● In-game time-of-day information (x2 time progression):
- Qualifying time: 11 May, 14:00
- Race start time: 11 May, 16:00

Manual Rolling Start Information:
Formation Point:

Acceleration Zone:

If you are unsure about the Manual Rolling Start procedure, please read the instructions and watch the explanatory video.

Notices:
● Rules & regulations:
Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules and regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

● No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

● Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the rest of the lobby settings that will be used, look here.

● Save your replay: As a means of helping the stewards with any enquiries, all drivers are required to save their race replays and keep it stored for at least one week after the race has taken place. If you are involved in an incident or see something during the race that you feel needs to be investigated, you are free to make a stewards enquiry - however if enquiries are submitted without replay or race footage available, it is likely we can't do anything.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

SonOfMaw

Retired Grandmaster of Spreadsheets
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Will be missing this one, thanks to a defective Fanatec wheelbase. Hopefully I'll get a replacement/repair sent to me in time for R3. Sad to miss this race though, it's lots of fun around Spa.

I'll still run a practice session before the race on Wednesday. @TicklishPicklewickle I can still host the race itself as a broadcaster/race director if needed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ironik

Blunboi

Formula 4 Test Driver
Oct 26, 2017
My race pace around here is in the high 2:22's in the NSX, and quali pace is around the mid 2:20's... Still got a lot of practice to do though

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Will be missing this one, thanks to a defective Fanatec wheelbase. Hopefully I'll get a replacement/repair sent to me in time for R3. Sad to miss this race though, it's lots of fun around Spa.

I'll still run a practice session before the race on Wednesday. @TicklishPicklewickle I can still host the race itself as a broadcaster/race director if needed.
That'd be great, as it ran (almost :p) flawless last time :)

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
The Renault is slow on this track, I'm gonna have a hard time I guess.
After a lot of tweaking I managed to do a 2:19,7xx in quali.
Potential laptime is around 2:18,9xx though but that's still quite slow compared to the leaderboard IMO.
It will be tough for me!

Blunboi

Formula 4 Test Driver
Oct 26, 2017
The Renault is slow on this track, I'm gonna have a hard time I guess.
After a lot of tweaking I managed to do a 2:19,7xx in quali.
Potential laptime is around 2:18,9xx though but that's still quite slow compared to the leaderboard IMO.
It will be tough for me!
If you're going to have a hard time doing 2:19's, I don't know how I'm going to manage! I guess I'll just have to get used to being the league's joke driver :rofl:

• Friendly
Reactions: Ironik

Fast_draw7

GP2 2nd Driver
Dec 7, 2016
probably wont even get under 2.20 in Q with hards. Softs get a 6-7 degrees raise after just 1 corner (noticed that it happens a lot at stavelot) which is just ridiculous. Game fucked this up for good. If anyone can do a good lap time on softs with proper temps plz tell

Rickybrosh

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 27, 2016
Did a couple of high 2.19s but for race pace around 2.22s, alot slower than the leadersboards thats for sure guys doing 2.16s in there.

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
probably wont even get under 2.20 in Q with hards. Softs get a 6-7 degrees raise after just 1 corner (noticed that it happens a lot at stavelot) which is just ridiculous. Game fucked this up for good. If anyone can do a good lap time on softs with proper temps plz tell
No, the game got it right! Forget what you know about soft tyres from PCARS1. That doesn't work in GT3. Compounds are designed to work in specific temperature windows, just like in real life. If the track temperature is above a certain degrees, don't even bother looking at a soft tyre as the hard tyre will be faster. Simplest way to look at it, and how you should be using tyre compounds now is:
Soft Tyre = Cold weather tyre
Hard Tyre = Hot weather tyre

GT3 in real life very rarely have a soft tyre. They use a single hard compound for all cars in the series and all tracks. The only reason they'd ever be provided with a soft is in a lot colder temperatures, but where Motorsport is mostly a summer sport, there isn't really ever a time where it is needed. The only real reason why we have a soft compound in the game for GT3, is because of the seasons and temperature ranges we now allow. Depending on the weather and season, the track can get cold enough that the hard tyre stops working, so a soft was added to operate in those temperatures. 75% of the time, you should be using the hard compound tyre. Only use the soft if it is cold, i.e. winter months, maybe at night or on tracks that aren't as demanding on the tyre.

F1 racer

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jul 28, 2015
I have no clue where I will be in this race cos this is a track I´m traditionelly not that quick and I don´t know why :(
It´s on all Highspeed tracks where I lose time

Mattster

GP2 Test Driver
Nov 18, 2016
@Yorkie065 can you give us a specific track temperature (not air) ranges in general for soft and hard tires ?

At Imola for example it was hard to keep the hard tires in to temp and the track temp was high.

About the pace on this track im doing low 2.20 Q and mid 2.21s race pace. My potential lap is 2.19.3

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
@Yorkie065 can you give us a specific track temperature (not air) ranges in general for soft and hard tires ?

At Imola for example it was hard to keep the hard tires in to temp and the track temp was high.

About the pace on this track im doing low 2.20 Q and mid 2.21s race pace. My potential lap is 2.19.3
You can follow this diagram (from Pirelli) as a basis :

temp.png

EDIT: The grip loss when hotter than the operating range is greater for Softs while the grip loss is greater for hards when below the operating range.

Last edited:

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014

I haven't actually found out the accurate figures myself yet, but I imagine that the graph @Ironik has provided above would be pretty accurate in terms of the ground temperature for the Soft and Hard tyre and their operating ranges, possibly with a bit more crossover.

Imola isn't really a track that is particularly heavy on the tyres. There's not really any corners that really load up the tyre and punish them a huge amount, and the wear is pretty even on both sides. With some of the longer sweeping and faster corners of Spa however, you will probably find that things will be a bit different there in terms of tyre temps.

Reactions: Mattster

Mattster

GP2 Test Driver
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for the answers @Ironik and @Yorkie065

I have one more question about TC and ABS settings in game settings and in car setup. Is better to run authentic or abs low /tc low? And how the different general settings in game low/med/high is connected to settings in car setup ?

Last edited:

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
Thanks for the answers @Ironik and @Yorkie065

I have one more question about TC and ABS settings in game settings and in car setup. Is better to run authentic or abs low /tc low? And how the different general settings in game low/med/high is connected to settings in car setup ?
Hahahaha honnestly, I don't have a clue! I never used something greater than "low".
I'm currently running ABS and TC low. (I guess it's the "authentic" setting)
I guess that "Low" is closer than what real drivers have in RL.
In my BRZ for example, I have three settings for TC : On / Sport / Off.
IMO, the low setting is something similar to a "sport" mode, allowing a bit more slip angle and less intrusive when triggered.
I think that "Low" is more than enough to be honnest. Furthermore, you can tweak it to your liking with the ABS and TC %.

I can't understand guys who run without ABS, at least.
In the WMD forum, Tommy Milner aknowledged that pro drivers are faster with ABS.
Capture2.PNG

I concur with that : I did an AOR season in the BMW M3 GT (without ABS in "authentic") and I was struggling during the braking compared to others running ABS. Furthermore, driving without ABS in wet is a nightmare ^^.

The new in game TC and ABS are much better this time around in pCARS 2 compared to pCARS 1.
Even the TC can be usefull when tuned well, allowing to maintain slip angle without triggering the TC.

I'd go with ABS for sure and maybe TC. Even if you don't need it, it's like a safety net helping you not to spin. ^^

In the end, it's just a matter of personal preference I guess.

SonOfMaw

Retired Grandmaster of Spreadsheets
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Try adjusting the brake pressure? - ideally you don't want the ABS kicking in, it'll save you from locking up and running off track, but it will still increase your braking distance compared to threshold braking; where the tyres are just on the cusp of locking up.

• Agree
Reactions: Yorkie065

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
Try adjusting the brake pressure? - ideally you don't want the ABS kicking in, it'll save you from locking up and running off track, but it will still increase your braking distance compared to threshold braking; where the tyres are just on the cusp of locking up.
Go say that to Tommy Milner and his engineers... :D
I mean, PRO drivers (Racing is their job) aknowledge that ABS is FASTER than no ABS. What else do you need as a proof? ;)
You can brake harder, deeper and more consistently with ABS than without it. It's not just a safety net, it also allows for a better braking.
How a human could replicate and be better than computer calculations ?
Just try it, you'll see :)

For the record, Tommy Milner answered to an "argument" some and I were having regarding the ABS / no ABS performance.

Anyway, one does what one wants. Keep driving without ABS, I'm happy with that :p