Not open for further replies.

n0body_

GP2 1st Driver
Jun 19, 2017
League: GTE
Date: 16/09/2019
Members Involved: @DeuxMilles & Myself.
Lap & Corner:
Lap something, left before the carousel.

Coming into this left Dom and myself are coming round to lap Jurgen, and we catch him at the left before the carousel. Here he proceeds to sit on the racing line on corner exit, giving me a 4x. Somehow I got no front end damage from this.

This is not an enquiry to get Jurgen a pen, this incident doesn't deserve one. I had no damage after and finished without DSQing. This is meant to serve as a general reminder for lapped drivers.

If you are lapped and driving round on your own, please just move out of the way where its most convenient. This will almost always be a straight, because pulling to the side on corner exit can be very unpredictable and unnerving. Check the mirrors and relative to see when the faster cars are coming too. If you're battling then by all means continue the battle, but sometimes when battling you can use faster cars coming through to gain an advantage ;)

Evidence:

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
I mean whilst we're here...

*I completely share the sentiment with Ross

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I mean whilst we're here...

*I completely share the sentiment with Ross
If you'd like to open a separate inquiry, please do so, but commenting in inquiries is exclusively limited to parties involved.

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
If you'd like to open a separate inquiry, please do so, but commenting in inquiries is exclusively limited to parties involved.
Since it was a very minor infrigement it wasn't worth its own enquiry, I only considered lumping it in here just because it was also Jurgen. He doesn't deserve a penalty yet regardless imo, was just further proof to remind blue flag cars/review the lapped-car rule. But if you don't want to review my clip then I don't mind of course.

Last edited:

DeuxMilles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Mar 9, 2017
@n0body_ you were the first of the frontrunners who arrived, so I was a bit surprised on how fast you are closing up.
I tried to let you pass before the carousell, this is why I lifted a bit on corner exit of T8. But the moment was too early, dumb move, for sure, my fault. Sorry again.

D.

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
We feel, the incident was a bit clumsy. The stewards decided to take no action against @DeuxMilles

About blue flags and conduct in traffic:

The blue flag rule was written, and applied in past seasons, in a spirit of using common sense and allowing everyone, front and back, to run their race.

We expect cars that get a blue flag (lapping car is 1.5s behind) that they enable the faster car to pass without losing unreasonable time and without holding the car up.
This does not mean, that the slower cars need to slam the brakes, get off the racing line and wait.
When a lapping car is 1.5s behind, start thinking: Where am I? Where are the leaders? What are the next passing opportunities? What is the closing speed?
We expect the slower car to make a reasonable choice here.
e.g. if you get a blue flag heading into the Esses at Road Atlanta, you know, that's not a place to pass. After turn 5 would be the next good choice.

About the actual pass of a lapped car:
Now, opinions differ if you should jump off the line or keep your line. Different expectations come from racing in different series, e.g. drivers who run a lot of endurance multi-class races would expect you to keep your line and they make their way around. drivers of single class, shorter races, would expect you to move off line.
Both are fine, but be clear, show your intentions early. if you move over, do it early enough so it's not a surprise.
See that you enable a pass in a safe spot, for example lift into the braking zone, so the leaders can easily pass you and get by before turn in.
Don't try mid-corner maneuvers, that goes to both sides. Be predictable.
Lapping traffic will always cost a little bit of time.

it really is common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.