PC - Idea's for Season 3 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Idea's for Season 3

FisiFan91

AOR Admin
Staff Member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
I don't think that guy's thread is meant for Season 3 of GT3, but to create an additional series in addition to GT3.

I am planning to make a GT3-specific discussion thread for S3 (for all 3 platforms) a bit closer to the end of the season, but feel free to add any ideas/thoughts you have here for now :)

Noztra

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015
Just updated it with my thoughts. :)

AndrexUK

🏅 PC Ginetta Elite League Champion
Staff Member
PCARS Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Ok, well, to start the ball rolling:

I suggest a reverse car selection (ie last person in championship gets first pick for car next season)
Limiting the number of drivers per car, so that all the cars are used.
This should put the faster drivers, in the "slow" cars, and vice versa - thus making the racing closer.
I say "slow" cars, but imo, the only "Slow" car is the Ginetta G55. but the likes of the Z4 / Aston seem to hold an advantage on most tracks (of course, we could debate this all day long).

Or failing that, introduce something along the lines of what @Yorkie065 had suggested, bringing in a shorter 'sprint' race, where the 2nd race on the same track has the grid order reversed from race 1's results. (would require manual grid / manual pace lap, but that bring me onto a later point). Maybe even a 15 lap race or something? Would help the 'slower guys' gain some championship points, again, making the season closer.

Rolling Starts! Yes, this would require adding a pace lap at the start of the race, and requires drivers to hold their position, and line up as per grid (2 cars at a time) for a rolling start. Race goes 'green' as leader crosses the start line. No over-taking till drivers have crossed the start line. My only concern about this is that there would be no 'jump/false start' or 'early overtake' penalty issued by the game, so would be difficult to police (without stewards inquiry's).

Outside of the official league season:

I'd love to have Multi-class racing, and again I think Yorkster is probably spot on with suggesting LMP2 / GT3 (rather than LMP1 - as the speed difference between LMP2 and GT3 would making lapping a little 'safer').

I also like the idea of a single make tintop car series (GT4ish but I guess a low end open wheeler would suffice). Would be nice to even limit the setups, but difficult to police.

And I'm also keen on an endurance event (2 Hour+), although this maybe best to be a monthly outing, rather than weekly?

Maybe we could continue the Wed night racing after the season finishes, to try a couple of different events?
Week1: Multi class
Week2: BMW M3 GT4
Week3: Endurance
Week4: Formula ?
(obviously just a concept, but you get the idea)

Andy

Viceguy

GP2 Test Driver
Jan 15, 2014
if you want a single make then maybe try the Mercedes DTM car thingie.. the one with DRS... it calls for close racing.. used it in pre-season 1 social... very funny and close race :D

AJ

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Really dont like the idea of splitting the 1hour race into 2 smaller races, this killed the pcars formula league for me and putting in gt3 aswell would make it very hard for me to signup to season 3. One simple mistake and your race is/could be over, its hard to recover positions if you make a mistake or get hit off in a 1 hour race, going to be impossible in a 15 lap race.

Also not a fan of putting the slowest to front and fastest to back, yeah it mixs the grid up but i just see so many incidents happening with everyone out of position and again in a 15lap race, going to be more frustrating than fun.

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
I don't agree with the Sprint race idea but the rest seem okay.
I think picking order could go from bottom to top, but then where's the motivation to beat someone in the championship if you're only going to choose later than them because of it? It works in theory, but in practice, I'm not so sure.

Wednesday's are my only day off this semester, so definitely fine with keeping that ;) (i mean if you wanna delay today's race until tomorrow then I'm fine with it )
I can't think of anything else specifically but if I can I'll be sure to post here

Noztra

AC Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015
I don't agree with the Sprint race idea but the rest seem okay.
I think picking order could go from bottom to top, but then where's the motivation to beat someone in the championship if you're only going to choose later than them because of it? It works in theory, but in practice, I'm not so sure.

Wednesday's are my only day off this semester, so definitely fine with keeping that ;) (i mean if you wanna delay today's race until tomorrow then I'm fine with it )
I can't think of anything else specifically but if I can I'll be sure to post here
Well I think the reverse car selection is a very good idea. (Probally because its @AndrexUK and mine idea. :p) The whole point with the reverse car selection is to make the Elite and the other leagues more competitive and make it more equal. Like @AndrexUK wrote, some cars are just faster than others. And when fast drivers like you @Browneskiii, @F1-Masa etc drive in the fastest car, you will be faster than the rest, because you are better and have better cars. If the fast drivers, drove in "slower" cars and "slower" drivers drove in fast car, the league will be more competitive. :) And if you win you can still call you champion of the elite league and there is still prestige in ending in the top, rather where im finishing. :p

But i can fully understand that people who have the faster cars and are in the top of the championship, dont want reverse car selection because its not good for them. :) But in the end shouldn't choices made, be for the benefit of the league and the races, and not to only fit a couple of drivers?

But i do understand you point of view @Browneskiii and i think alot of consideration should be taking into making reverse car selection. :)

The other thing about limiting the amount of drivers pr. car is also a good idea. Because right now, people only really wanna drive RUF, Aston and Z4. If people are forced to drive M3, Bentley, SLS and Audi, it would make for funner and more diverse races.

/Noztra

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
I'm not against going in a slower car at all! I was one of the faster guys in f1 leagues I did before and I was trying to make it so faster guys go in the manor while the slower ones go in the Mercedes :p
I just think that for people in the mid table (like yourself) would then want to finish lower in the championship to give yourself a better car. (Not saying you will, but it's a possibility)
I actually said pre season that I'll go in the ginetta if I win the championship :p (im sure @Jepparh will tell you ;))
I can see why we want the top guys in slower cars, but then surely if someone else who's stupidly quick comes in and isnt allowed a fast car they'll be put off? It works if it stays us 20 in the league, but attracting others could be an issue

Noztra

AC Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015
I know you aren't afraid to drive a slower car @Browneskiii, and wasn't my meaning to single you out. :) I was talking in general.

And if people at my position would rather driver slower to get a better car pick, then i think people should really ask them self, why they are driving in this league? In this league where everyone is so damn fast and competitive, i really would be surprised if people did it, and i would be ashamed if it was me. People should always go for the highest position in the championship, no mather what car they get to pick. :)

AndrexUK

Staff Member
PCARS Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Glad to see ppl putting their thoughts in!

I had considered the fact that there is a chance drivers may steer their results towards getting a better car for the following season, and i can't think of a quick fix for that, with out have some sort of 'Mega Championship' where we combine all seasons points together, but I don't know what the 'gain' from doing that would be, other than prestige.
I would like to think most people are joining the league to race the best they can, and accept the rules in place.
Whilst I don't want to be putting drivers off joining, or indeed punishing drivers for doing well!, I just think it is a good way to try produce closer and more exciting racing.

dont like the idea of splitting the 1hour race into 2 smaller races
I agree, I'm not quite sure how it could be implemented tbh. I like the 1 hour race myself, and would be keen on keeping that as it is, maybe even a seperate league on a different night? running the same track as the main GT3, but with different cars (combining this suggestion, and one of the others), such as DTM on a Tuesday, in the format of a 20 lap race, and a 10 lap race (or whatecer), the point of have a 2 race event, is that if you wreck during a race, then you could still get a good race in the other race

Keep your thoughts coming guys!

Andy

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
So I think we should have 2x tyre wear for the future (S3 onwards) because let's be honest, nearly everyone is using softs to last the race right now, and I don't think it should be a race tyre. Its a tyre which should either do qualifying or half the race with a pit stop (at your own risk)
The mediums or the hards are what we should be racing on, or for tracks like monza you could get away with soft all round I'm sure.
I understand there's a risk in pitting when using the softs and some people won't be able to last their tyres until the end on certain tracks even with hards, but surely that's the point? It'll not only make you a better racer it'll help have races more strategic and so on!

Viceguy

GP2 Test Driver
Jan 15, 2014
must say i agree with @Browneskiii here, but it will just be annoying to get your race ruined by a pitstop bug.. i do however miss the strategy part of it since the RUF for example is very easy on the tyres and a few of us have been able to not stop for most races

AndrexUK

Staff Member
PCARS Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Hmmmm, not so sure myself. We moved away from extra tyre wear last season for a reason...

And as I've said before, I would love the strategy element to be included, if it was safe to implement.
I just feel that not many would be keen on taking the risk to pit, and so we all end up in the same situation anyway, just on the next compound of tyre. (Although I am harder on tyres anyway, so I would defo be on hards, where most will run mediums).

Andy