IRACING GTE - ROAD AMERICA - Formation lap incident investigation | ApexOnlineRacing.com

IRACING GTE - ROAD AMERICA - Formation lap incident investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isir

iRacing GTE S7 AM & PCars Ginetta Pro Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 4, 2017
League: GTE
Date: 30th March 2020
Members Involved: Several
Lap & Corner: End of the formation lap
Description: Accordion effect at the end of the formation lap causing multiple accidents.

Videos:

Merlin Cooper

GP2 2nd Driver
Nov 2, 2017
Have been one of the drivers being involved in the incidents before the start/finish line. We where running at approx. 100 km/h per hour throught the last corner. At the start finish line the cars in front suddenly reduced speed. This unpredictable driving cause me make contact to the car in front and being hit from the car behind. Very likely the damage I picked up during this incident cause my engine to loose oil-pressure and my race ended in Lap1 with an engine failure.

From my point of view the issue was caused by a significant, sudden reduction of speed by the leaders after getting on the start/finish straight. Therefore I asked the stewards for clarification of starting procedure.

Attachments

Head Steward

Head Steward
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2014
The stewards have decided to give the follwoing drivers a reprimand:

Pinsker - He shouldn't have slowed down this abrupt after the final corner. This created a difficult sitaution for the field behind.
Sluman - Leaving too much of a gap to the car in front.
Luuk - Leaving too much of a gap to the car in front.
Martins - Leaving too much of a gap to the car in front.

@SMEAJ @Marvin @Ranno @AndreM

Status
Not open for further replies.