Live For Speed - Discussion | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Live For Speed - Discussion

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017

CoRE SimRacing

Welcome to the forum topic about Live for Speed, one of the top Sim-Racing games. Pretty weird that no one has discussed about this before!

Brief introduction:
Wikipedia
Live for Speed (LFS) is a racing simulator developed by a three-person team comprising Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, and Victor van Vlaardingen. The main focus is to provide a realistic racing experience for the online multiplayer game.

Among other things, the physics engine simulates tires, the suspension, aerodynamics, the drivetrain, several gearbox types, clutch overheating, car body damage, and engine damage. The tire model features dynamic wear, dynamic dirt, flat spots, hot spots and tire wall deformation.
The simulator supports 3D devices, including 3D TVs, headsets, projectors, the HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift (both DK1 and DK2, from version 0.6F and 0.6G).
--

Yup! LFS has been in development since 2002 and was first released in 2003, being ahead of its time in physics and driving pleasure.

Leagues occur in Live For Speed (wonder) and the Demo-servers offer close racing as well.
Not sure if AOR will be interested in starting a league in LFS, but hey, it'll be interesting with the realistic nature of the game!

Hope this has been a good read!

Cheers,
AA Nova

Reactions: Def

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
If you're wondering, the Demo of the game is free to download, with 1 track with 3 configurations, and 3 cars avaliable. Because of this, I've been thinking of a trial-invitational race around the GP track, Blackwood, just to test if it'll work out.

Good overall latency if you're below 400 ms ping, and I would think extremely good racing scenarios as well, due to the realistic physics within the game.
Example :
Hey Fisi, seen that you've been around this thread. Any ideas on whether LFS would be a good platform for AOR to land upon?
Nobody seems interested though by the looks of it, which seems pretty bad for such a good simracing game.

Cheers
Nova

Def

Staff member
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
Too bad I don't play on PC, would've been interested !

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
Too bad I don't play on PC, would've been interested !
The interest is appreciated!
The simracing community within LFS is slowly dying, due to the lack of leagues, and good drivers. Thought it was worth a shot popping it here to see if people would give a game a shot.
Def, are other mods/admins here interested? It's honesty a good sim game, I swear :D

(And if racing isn't your thing, tracks can be openly layout-ted, meaning you can create your own track, add humps, ectra. And Westhill is also a completely open-type circuit - the service roads, city, backroads are all drivable, and "layouttable", creating a good cruising environment. Drifting physics are also on point)

(Updates are indeed rolling in lately to keep the community alive)

Def

Staff member
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
@AOR Nova yeah it seems so, your video really makes me wanna have a go at it (not that I'd complete a lap without crashing tho :D)

I visited the website and the devs seem to be available and they do their best, like adapting prices to the country and such. It's free also !! It's not often we get to see this kind of effort !

Noticed you tried to mention Fisi but he probably has seen it only once, it'd be more effective to tag him using the @, like this : @FisiFan91

I have no idea if other guys are interested, I'll try to reach a PC audience as I'm kinda XB1-only :p

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
@Def
The dev crew are open-universing another track, Blackwood!
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90424-Test-Patch-0-6Q10---New-Blackwood
New city, new roads, and new track surfaces. It'll come soon! Look at the screenshots in the thread there to see what's up :D

Not to forget VR support, realistic physics, pick-up and host servers, huge grid support, and a big awaiting (probably sleeping) community. Just needs the right kick-start to get LFS really booming.
And the main game promo (Couldn't find anything newer and better, whoops)

Hope your reach to the PC audience helps! Haha

Last edited:

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
@Def
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, not sure if this helps the racing, but there is realistic damage models (No, not visual, but suspension geometry, camber, toe, positions), as well as realistic tires that heat, flatspot and puncture. Not forgetting that there will be a updated tire physics model soon! :)

Cheers!

Def

Staff member
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
@Def
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, not sure if this helps the racing, but there is realistic damage models (No, not visual, but suspension geometry, camber, toe, positions), as well as realistic tires that heat, flatspot and puncture. Not forgetting that there will be a updated tire physics model soon! :)

Cheers!
Yup I spotted the fact the game reflects flat spots due to wheels locking, heating (under/over) in specific areas of the tyre.. Which is very cool! I've only ever heard about one simracing game doing that and that was rFactor 2 I believe ! For sure their game deserves more exposure, I think it's better to get a feel for it live and try the free demo! Honestly it doesn't seem to lack much if you're not interested in graphics (but, good point is, it can be run on many low-end PCs)

I feel it's the kind of game that has a friendly community... I'll try to learn more on it via website and you so that I can do an exhaustive introduction of its features. It's only problem would be that most of simracers already got their favorite game, but I'm pretty sure there'll be curious ones who will give LFS a go. At least I hope so.

Maybe I'm naive, but you never know until you try. :)

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
@Def
Plus realistic engine and clutch damage, gears... lots more that other sims have only really dulled down. Hm.

Also, Blackwood Circuit map has now been turned into a full-on.... Industrial city world. (Of course not forgetting the entire circuit has been heavily re-vamped to please the community! :)

Which means, that with the open (X) configurations and the multiple available Object Editor you can basically create your own Rally/Hill climb course, drift course, mini track. Yup, LFS has that.

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
@Def The new, rescanned and rebuilt Blackwood Circuit and inner-city are going to be released this week! Try out the Demo to get a feel of this great sim as soon as possible!
(Tire physics and 2 new tracks to be implemented into S3 by end 2017.)

Def

Staff member
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
@Def The new, rescanned and rebuilt Blackwood Circuit and inner-city are going to be released this week! Try out the Demo to get a feel of this great sim as soon as possible!
(Tire physics and 2 new tracks to be implemented into S3 by end 2017.)
Cheers for the heads up mate :)
Unfortunately for me, I don't own a PC. I would have tried a long time ago otherwise :)

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
Cheers for the heads up mate :)
Unfortunately for me, I don't own a PC. I would have tried a long time ago otherwise :)
Gather some friends who own a PC to give the game a try! Or AOR admins, mods, anyone who could make something happen haha.
Release of revamped Blackwood Circuit is 3-5 hours from this post!
@Def

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
Oh joys! Looks like the devs are planning another major update, hopefully within this year.
@Def They hope to get ultra realistic tire physics (better than current, basically) out, better graphics and a better object editor. Probably new tracks in the pipeline aswell!

Mackisdoodle

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 29, 2015

CoRE SimRacing

Welcome to the forum topic about Live for Speed, one of the top Sim-Racing games. Pretty weird that no one has discussed about this before!

Brief introduction:
Wikipedia
Live for Speed (LFS) is a racing simulator developed by a three-person team comprising Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, and Victor van Vlaardingen. The main focus is to provide a realistic racing experience for the online multiplayer game.

Among other things, the physics engine simulates tires, the suspension, aerodynamics, the drivetrain, several gearbox types, clutch overheating, car body damage, and engine damage. The tire model features dynamic wear, dynamic dirt, flat spots, hot spots and tire wall deformation.
The simulator supports 3D devices, including 3D TVs, headsets, projectors, the HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift (both DK1 and DK2, from version 0.6F and 0.6G).
--

Yup! LFS has been in development since 2002 and was first released in 2003, being ahead of its time in physics and driving pleasure.

Leagues occur in Live For Speed (wonder) and the Demo-servers offer close racing as well.
Not sure if AOR will be interested in starting a league in LFS, but hey, it'll be interesting with the realistic nature of the game!

Hope this has been a good read!

Cheers,
AA Nova
Hi! I would be very interested in taking part in an lfs league if that ever actually happens. im quite glad that this is being discussed at all as the game isn't really getting appreciated in the overaöl racing community.

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
Hi! I would be very interested in taking part in an lfs league if that ever actually happens. im quite glad that this is being discussed at all as the game isn't really getting appreciated in the overaöl racing community.
Hey Mackis,

Thanks for the interest! Absolutely, LFS is underappreciated in every racing community I've been to (who hasn't already got a LFS league), some don't even recognise it. Sad that such a sim is going unnoticed..

Mackisdoodle

Formula 4 Test Driver
Sep 29, 2015
Hey Mackis,

Thanks for the interest! Absolutely, LFS is underappreciated in every racing community I've been to (who hasn't already got a LFS league), some don't even recognise it. Sad that such a sim is going unnoticed..
Yeah, it really is a shame. The devs listen to the community in every way and it has some great potential, for example the track editor thats constantly being improved. Another issue is that many people see no purpose in buying any of the licenses when all the full servers are demo anyway. Kind of a bummer. Welp, see you on any of the bmw servers nova. Imma rek u.

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
Sad news for the LFS Community as a whole..

The historic 24-season long-running CityLiga series has been folded just this week, with the final sendoff race around the Kyoto circuit.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/91058-(Final-ever-CLSR!)[email protected]
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90474-CITYLIGA-24

mbutcher : "I'm afraid so. It's been running since 2004 and in recent seasons the level of competition and attendance has dropped to the point where it just wouldn't be right for it to continue.
The live stream replay from the final ever round (Kyoto GTs) is now up on the CityLiga YouTube channel."
http://www.cityliga.de/en/
https://gaming.youtube.com/user/cityliga

Deutschland2007
Section moderator
S3 licensed

"All good things come to and end eventually, that's no different for CITYLIGA. For the 24th and last time in Live for Speed S2, CL will start into a new season, again with the usual ten rounds. A mixture of classic combos as well as a few awkward ones will make up the calendar for the season, which along with mandatory pit stops, various qualifying modes and other variables will ensure that versatility will be the name of the game yet again.

Not much has changed in terms of rules compared to last season, however, because to the lack of personell some minor alterations have been made: Due to the somewhat low number of starters during CL23 we have removed the minimum lap time requirement for merged grids. On top of that we've also removed steward nominations as well as vote for those nominated, since both had become irrelevant over the last few seasons. Protests will now be reviewed by the series admins instead. Now though, it's time that we explain why we're ending things here and now.

During the christmas break we came to the conclusion that CITYLIGA shouldn't continue until the bitter end when we might reach a point at which we'd have to close it due to a lack of drivers. We agreed that the best thing would be to end it on a positive note, while participation was still at a decent level. That way, the series would be able to come to its conclusion with a certain level of dignity. Afterall it's better to put things behind you and to keep the good memories, instead of continuing just for the sake of it."

-
Another league has now been folded, memories put behind us. Farewell Cityliga.
And onto more pressing things, where will this lead LFS to? Would any league be able to match up to CL and take the challenge going forward into 2018?

SO•Huski

Junior Karter
Dec 30, 2017
Rain_SOHuski.jpg

Quite a good game indeedy! Some of the edits that exist from this game as well can be really good.

SO•Huski

Junior Karter
Dec 30, 2017
For anybody who owns this game and wants to race it sometime, Street Obsessions has launched a racing league for 2018, Commencing January 10th and ending June 27th, across 12 races (2 per month) within the TBO classification of cars. We'd love to see more people sign-up and attend the races, as the first season is going to be a blast!

For more information the following links will be useful:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/91761-Street-Obsessions-Racing-League---Official-Thread
https://www.lfs.net/leagues/450

See ya on the track.

• Kappa
Reactions: AOR Nova

AOR Nova

Pro Karter
Jan 12, 2017
@Def
How's that promise of an exhaustive introduction to Live for Speed coming along? Hope it's being churned up somewhere! :)

Here's another promo video I've dug up. Of the things LFS can indeed do.

By the way, as well, there are two new leagues starting up this year. @FisiFan91 Now's a good time to give LFS a long shot!
One is the 1 year-old Fragmaster's GTi Series, a sponsored league with cash prizes given out annually! One of the most exciting and fastest leagues available at the moment.
Fragmaster's GTi Thursday - 2018 Season Introduction

The other is the yearly All-Wheel-Drive Championship, which uses the FXO (front wheel) and RB4 (AWD) turbocharged cars.
AWD Winter Series 2018 Signups

There is also a long-running league, run by Sports Racing Team Finland. Wide spectrum of vehicles and races weekly.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/453-Sport-Racing-Team-Finland

Live for Speed is very much alive, as Huski has highlighted with more leagues popping up.

For those interested, the demo version includes the new Blackwood track, and 3 cars, all of which provide great racing. Pick-up-and-play servers available all day, including drift servers.
Do give LFS a try!

Cheers