Official Highlights Submission & Discussion | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Official Highlights Submission & Discussion

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
Hello AOR Season 8 Split 1 drivers! As many of you know I am Justin aka FakeGhostPirate and I am the co-owner of BoxBoxBoxGaming on YouTube along with Mikko aka Smuffler. This season we're taking a back seat to racing and instead turning our focus to providing quality coverage of the Split 1 races throughout the season.

How Does It Work?
First of all, in order to participate, you'll of course need to record your races. To keep things easy we're going to make these videos in 720p. You can still record in 1080p but we ask that you downsize the file to 720p before submission.

Next you'll need to get Google Drive or some other form of file sharing. Google Drive is free and holds up to 15GB which should be more than enough for a single race file. Google Drive is a program you download, it syncs to a Gmail account (if you don't have a Gmail account you can make one for free), and it uploads any file which is placed into the Google Drive folder on your computer.

Lastly you'll need to share the file with us. When you go to your Google Drive (by going to drive.google.com) you can click on the file you wish to share:

Next you'll need to click the Share button at the bottom right:

Next you'll want to change the permissions to "Anyone with the link" like this:

And then last you'll want to "invite" us by typing [email protected] into the "Invite people:" field like this:

You can leave the box checked where it says "Notify people via email" or you can just copy and paste the link to us in Steam or here on the forums.

When Do I Need To Upload By?
Good question, we're going to start things off by saying Wednesdays at midnight GMT. The race is done late afternoon Sunday so that gives you more than 72 hours to turn the video into a 720p file and upload and share it. If things run really smooth we might move the cutoff time to Tuesday instead (so the videos come out sooner). Similarly, if it seems like many people are struggling to have their videos ready for Wednesday we can move it to another day. The idea is to have the videos come out about one week after each race.

Why Should I Do This?
Because it's going to be awesome! But in all seriousness it will help promote the league, and also we will provide links to the YouTube channels of everyone who participates. Unless you're Alex Gillon and have over 10k subs it will help generate traffic for your channel as we currently have over 700 subs and growing. We are dedicated to creating quality content and providing promotion to everyone. Also did I mention it will be awesome? Season 7 was one of the most dramatic I've seen and this season could be even better!

What's It Going To Be Like?
It's going to be a lot like what Fisi does for the Xbox side of AOR (we are Fisi fanboys), but the editing and commentary will be done by myself and Mikko. I'm hoping to get views from at least four of the 16 drivers, but the more the merrier! It's probably not possible to get every single one of you to participate but everyone is encouraged to submit (and I mean everyone) regardless of where you finish or how interesting your race was. There will be side-by-side qualifying comparisons, highlight videos, replays, interviews with drivers, comedy, drama, strippers, beer, and much more.*

What If There Is A Specific Moment From The Race I Want In The Video?
We take requests! If there's an awesome moment of heroic maneuvering or a catastrophic event that you know is great for the video then tell us about it! We will be watching the videos and scanning for the best stuff each race but sometimes things slip through the cracks! You can PM us or message us on Steam or just email us (again [email protected]) with the information about when and where that special moment happened.

I Have More Questions! You Have Failed Me!
I'm so sorry! Please leave a comment (or Steam, email, or even twitter @FakeGhostPirate) and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

*strippers and beer not guaranteed

izamusing

AOR PC RallyCross S3 Champion
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014
I read the small print! IT'S A TRAP!
Yeah I'd be ok with it, seems like a very good idea, however due to my normal internet having a MEGA upload speed of 10 kb/s , my videos can only ever be in 480p, however I will be changing in a month or two to a better connection.
I have high respect for you guys and for anyone who has ever raced in split 1, so I hope my rubbish computer and connection don't hinder any future videos ( connection is fine in the races though ).

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
izamusing;n31192 said:
due to my normal internet having a MEGA upload speed of 10 kb/s , my videos can only ever be in 480p, however I will be changing in a month or two to a better connection.
this is absolutely fine, glad you brought it up. if you can't do 720p that's totally fine, just do the best you can and we'll upscale it to 720p.

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
someone asked another really good question on Steam. you CAN send just a highlights video if you prefer to do that. we don't want it trimmed TOO much, but if cutting out some boring bits will help you upload it easier that is absolutely fine.

izamusing

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014
Do you need anyone to do commentary with you guys?

Apr 18, 2014
Wow.

I have to say that I really enjoy you guys doing this and actually I watched only your videos from the last AOR season.

But at the same time, I thought of doing this too! Haha.

But yea, now that you'll be doing this, I am going to give you my point of view. Maybe it's going to be edited, maybe not. We'll see. I think if I give you an edited version, it's only going to help you save time.

Anyway, looking forward to this! I hope most people share their POV and it becomes as big as Xbox's version! :)

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
izamusing;n31323 said:
Do you need anyone to do commentary with you guys?
we are probably doing "guest commentary" spots throughout the season, the first couple will most likely just be the two of us but we want to keep things interesting and fresh and having different people commentate with us is definitely a good way to do that. Alex guest commentated for us last season at Spa and it was a really good time, and the video came out really well as well, so we'd like to continue that.

Also with your videos, Kristian, we're at 5 people confirmed and a 6th person that is a maybe. So we've already hit the goal of at least 4 views! Again we would like to get as MANY people as possible though, anyone and everyone, but we're already off to a great start.

Also I wanted to mention that 1080p is an option for the future. We're starting off with 720p since that's what the Xbox size uses, and the file sizes are much smaller, but if things are running really smooth and people want to try 1080p it's something we'd consider. Obviously we want the videos to have the highest quality possible and 1080p is the best we can do with this type of video. Not everyone would have to submit 1080p videos though, of course, so it would never limit the number of people who can submit. I'd rather have 10 views at 720p than get 5 in 1080p. But if we can get 5 of the 10 people doing 720p to switch to 1080p then it might be something we could do. It would just be a bit silly if only a small percent of participants were capable of recording AND uploading a 1080p video within 72 hours. So again, just something to consider for the meantime.

Also we're definitely looking to reach the same sort of quality/popularity that Fisi has produced on the Xbox side. We won't be competitors (we'll probably sing the praises of FisiFan all the time during commentary :D ), but rather a sister-team of sorts that can share views and subscribers between everyone. Hopefully these videos will act as a bridge between the console and PC sides of AOR F1 2013 and help bring the two communities together.

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
don't feel obligated to upload EVERY time, understandable if you miss some races, but any and all footage is welcome

aalliigg

3-time AOR PC Split 1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
I'm really excited for this. I think we can have loads of POVs and with your commentary and editing, I really think it can be even better than the Xbox version! :D

Reactions: FakeGhostPirate

izamusing

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014
Well I think we shall try our best to produce the best entertainment on and off track ! :D

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I'd been hoping PC Split 1 would be doing something like this and now it's actually happening! I can't wait to watch the videos.

izamusing

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014
DON SILVA;n31867 said:
I'd been hoping PC Split 1 would be doing something like this and now it's actually happening! I can't wait to watch the videos.
It looks like this split will be very close, I'm sure everyone will try their best to bring their skills to the track and to the video editing etc... :)

Reactions: DON SILVA

izamusing

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014
Mine will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday.

FakeGhostPirate

AOR Commentator Guru
iGP Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 14, 2014
I've gotten a few people asking if it's OK to upload their video to youtube and the answer is YES. You lose some quality when uploading to youtube, but that same quality-loss would happen when we upload our version to youtube anyway, so no issues there. We do, however, ask that there not be any music or commentary or anything like that of course :) if you upload your video to youtube just send the link to us in an email or on steam to Smuffler or FakeGhostPirate or even just send a PM here on the forums.

aalliigg

3-time AOR PC Split 1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
FakeGhostPirate;n34714 said:
I've gotten a few people asking if it's OK to upload their video to youtube and the answer is YES. You lose some quality when uploading to youtube, but that same quality-loss would happen when we upload our version to youtube anyway, so no issues there. We do, however, ask that there not be any music or commentary or anything like that of course :) if you upload your video to youtube just send the link to us in an email or on steam to Smuffler or FakeGhostPirate or even just send a PM here on the forums.
Just a note; it's not that 'same' quality loss. You will lose double the quality. Every time a video is processed, it reduces it down to your set bitrate, regardless of how the original video looked.

It's always better to send the original file. :)