PC - Opinion Poll - Race Start Procedure | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Opinion Poll - Race Start Procedure

Which race start procedure do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VoodooChild

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
Hello fellow AOR racer.

As you probably know already, with patch 1.3 Kunos introduced a new in-buildt start procedure which is finally a credible alternative to our traditional AOR start.

I'm sure you know both procedures pretty well: the new "widget" start is featured in all the CP races and in a number of other leagues and of public lobbies, and knowledge of AOR procedure is a requirement for racing in this league.

I'm also sure that supporters of each system will flood this thread with discussions, opinions and examples. Please keep it civil and respectful as usual :)

The ACC coordinators staff would like to hear from you about this matter, so we kindly ask you to cast a vote on this opinion poll.

Please note that this is not a referendum, and the final result of the vote will not be binding, but the ACC coordinators staff will keep it in the due regard in future decisions.

Take your time to ponder over it, and please cast a vote in next days.

Poll will close on thursday 5th, march.

The ACC coordinators staff thanks you in advance for your kind collaboration.

@GIXXERosg
@Shooter80
@morphee7
@krop
@Flicony
@V.Korus
@HaiCo
@Jardier
@VoodooChild
@StephenCarry
@Narley
@KrypticTMG
@Tyborg
@GeeMax
@Basti Schäfer
@Sum1GetInThere
@Joe_Hanes
@Gav88888
@-L.X.-
@PhoB1a
@dopey401
@Lorda171
@Black_Gold_Saw
@Vanders
@Steve Allan
@77
@VSR Davidben
@Murph
@snajdan
@jlacey1995
@Ryu Makkuro
@Backe Gabrielsen
@Daniel Weidmann
@Welchy10
@EdwardC
@Kohai
@Jonnard
@mick Hoogendoorn
@Mali Baćo
@Legendacb
@SomeRandomTramp
@LuckyW
@Dawiin
@John Pecchia
@SlowLarry
@BIGPRENTA
@D. Koeckz
@Danny Hendriks
@Wenlock
@ZeFau
@LiboCZ
@Jankes
@NeekraY
@Fraiture Hervé
@Marlon Andrade
@Stephen Beswick
@Lusti
@M. Nobel
@ApexMaibom
@Mister_England
@Greko
@TKRapt0r
@Dirty Harry
@Xeonski
@JKay14
@Gurken Koenig
@paleez
@Tudesertpac
@Theopet
@VLX_Chewydee
@NynS
@seppel165
@SergioKillerLA
@tothferko
@TheRealestPepito
@Allen
@jura
@Lazarus
@Alireza d1
@TheflyingBritt
@dakuza
@amir_hosseini
@Bechir Andrei
@MKS-Graphics
@inkychris
@M.Lawrence
@Anduaa
@Apexistant
@JulianSchmitz
@Kapo
@dejw_d
@iOgus
@Cheekymunkey78
@xNuke
@OTL otter burger
@Lightning McQueen
@ossaltu
@MisterJasper
@oqvist
@Borderline
@Giuseppe Montalbano
@djole74
@Raining Thunder
@Nesos
@eXcole
@Rado
@Samuel Ratz
@Smolda
@S56D
@Fizzymon
@Frihman
@Colyente
@packolla
@PoL
@Tinko van der Velde
@Django
@D.Brezancic
@Lev
@Kristiyan Lozanov
@Kniekehle78
@Tim Knüvener
@Joaocastella78
@MrEmAych
@Nila
@Jordy van Oosten
@Kev 23
@Daniel Monteiro
@Tomas Stanek
@Recential
@Mark A Warmington
@Migzorn
@Jeppi
@Oblit0r
@Dimis_
@Reco
@Im_an_eagle
@Domi64S
@FWD12
@Flask
@FelixR1991
@F4H MaR4uDer
@MrGit
@Ivarpoiss
@Martin Ava
@tRIP..
@D-tox
@Isaias Varela
@Bilot25
@dalking38
@Vansinnes
@Mikhail Statcenko
@Noel
@ZeroStefan
@Rossi B
@Mattster
@Floris0402
@Endilecio
@Taha Malih
@Furgee
@Krzysztof Babij
@Kieran Hudson
@Yorkie065
@jurpys
@Birche
@BMW /// M-Power
@DubyaStep
@GSYGingerNinja
@Dan_Suzuki
@Quad____
@Jack Simpson
@S4lty
@rkatar
@Daniiel154
@T.Kexel
@dbr93
@Kayster1
@KillianRM
@Cluster63
@Delta2611
@DaveGaming
@Elliot Barron
@Svale
@Toni Racing
@Emanuele Franca
@Erzkbl9
@Rikka
@Rgm12345
@Kagan SULEYMANOGLU
@shpadoinkle
@Bountyx
@j.onorati
@MrDokeR
@maxbaileyuk
@Miguel Fonseca
@One_Ko
@Timou
@BDG_Geo
@OJ Racing
@D. Goelz
@Endless
@Walter Rotundo
@DANGEROUS GIANETTA
@hicksteR
@Zadra
@TureeruT
@not ImPulse
@StormENT
@aerosmudge
@Catalin Sasu
@Max Melamed
@CJBMX702
@jasonabsmeier
@ZeAce
@Allaeddine KESRI
@Mario Polizzi
@Bauke
@GlazedGater

Black_Gold_Saw

Pro Karter
Oct 19, 2019
Acc in-built function has my vote.

Again or rather AGAIN!!!!! In paul ricard people seem to have contact before race even begins.

oqvist

Formula Karter
Jan 21, 2020
Need to do some competition races. I done one race where you had some hud showing speed limits you had to adhere to I guess that´s it?
Current formation laps has been all but smooth with cars getting punted just about every race and cars not lining up correctly on the start.
The strange thing is that L1 is generally a lot calmer then the formation lap???

dejw_d

AOR PS4 GT3 S10 Tier 3 Champion
Apr 26, 2018
In Tier 2 we discussed a 3rd option of the intake formation lap without the widget. Is that option off the table?

VoodooChild

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
In Tier 2 we discussed a 3rd option of the intake formation lap without the widget. Is that option off the table?
yes, we want you know what you prefer between something that every AOR driver must know ("our" procedure) or something else that every ACC driver has experience with (new start procedure).
Keeping in the loop a middle ground and deprecated option that nobody uses anymore since january is nonsense.

Shooter80

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
I posted this in a different thread, just repeating it here in case its of any value

Just some pro's and con's from my experience of both starts:

ACC Start (widget)
Pros:

- Everyone if forced to start in the correct position, or get a DT
- Everyone should be spaced evenly out for the start, and further so than the AOR start
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so people can't jump other cars unless the other car messes up the start
- Cars are ghosted so one person doing something stupid can't directly screw up someones race
- It is the same way CP servers, and most public servers are ran, and is part of the game

Cons:
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so everyone should usually arrive at T1 in as tight a pack as they were when it went green
- Cars are ghosted so cars could in theory enter T1 inside each other (one would get a DT though) and when they are unghosted when they stop overlapping they will be mm apart
- The UI is arguably annoying, especially so in VR

AOR Start
Pros:

- Everyone gets to full throttle later than the cars ahead, so people are more spread out by turn 1 (for every 5 rows back from the leader, people get on the throttle about 1 second later).
- It has flexibility in case someone get teleported to the pits, has to reload to the grid, or spins during the formation lap.
- Its manual, so arguably a little more 'sim' (although not going on green isn't terribly accurate to real life)

Cons:
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, if all goes well they can jump 3 or 4 places compared to others who followed the intent of the rules to the letter.
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, often badly, which causes people to speed up and slow down in formation and catching out the cars behind.
- Its manual, all the cars are close, so if one person makes an inexplicable mistake it can badly effect others.
- Its hard to keep track of if you are in the correct position, and can be confusing which side you should be on if cars drop out or spin.
- AOR start reduces the actual race time by 3 to 4 mins

Steve Allan

F1 Test Driver
May 12, 2019
I'm actually unsure which one is better if I'm honest. I mean the AOR start is a good method to start the races, however, how many times do we see in the steward's section enquires about people hitting each other on the formation lap and destroying their race. So with the new inbuilt start, it negates that until the final straight if I recall rightly.

The only downside to the new start I could see is people getting needless drive-throughs for not being in the correct positions and also everyone arriving at T1 at the same speed, which might cause more carnage into T1 (for example imagine this weeks race at Monza... But more punts).

I think, and this is down to the ACC league team if they want to take this advice or not (if you don't then no offence of course) but maybe trial/experiment with the new start on a couple of the remaining rounds (like for example Silverstone and Spa/Hungaroring and Zolder) and the look at the evidence from all the drivers who take part in the social and league races and then maybe make the decision for Season 4. Because we should be capturing all the races anyway either via OBS/Shadowplay and streams so if the league coordinators where to delay the start of S4 but have all the data to look at then it would be a more answerable conclusion.

Reactions: Stephen Beswick

Dan_Suzuki

AOR iRacing GTE Season 6 Champion
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2018
I think the AOR manual start is pretty bad because of the lack of green flags - accordeon effect is real.
Nothing wrong with the widget start, never had issues with that in the CP races.

• Disagree
Reactions: GIXXERosg

Stephen Beswick

Formula Karter
Jan 2, 2020
I'm actually unsure which one is better if I'm honest. I mean the AOR start is a good method to start the races, however, how many times do we see in the steward's section enquires about people hitting each other on the formation lap and destroying their race. So with the new inbuilt start, it negates that until the final straight if I recall rightly.

The only downside to the new start I could see is people getting needless drive-throughs for not being in the correct positions and also everyone arriving at T1 at the same speed, which might cause more carnage into T1 (for example imagine this weeks race at Monza... But more punts).

I think, and this is down to the ACC league team if they want to take this advice or not (if you don't then no offence of course) but maybe trial/experiment with the new start on a couple of the remaining rounds (like for example Silverstone and Spa/Hungaroring and Zolder) and the look at the evidence from all the drivers who take part in the social and league races and then maybe make the decision for Season 4. Because we should be capturing all the races anyway either via OBS/Shadowplay and streams so if the league coordinators where to delay the start of S4 but have all the data to look at then it would be a more answerable conclusion.
I concur, we should trial it so we have all had a chance to try both approaches. Then we should vote.

I like the semi-authentic feel of the AOR starts but I know I lack the skill and ability at the moment to be able to execute the starts accurately. Plus when you have to swap sides of the track or move up a place it gets very confusing.

• Disagree
Reactions: GIXXERosg

NynS

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Jan 23, 2019
I'd love to see testing in the practise races, so tuesday afternoon a decision can be made. I'm fine with whatever option, as long as it doesnt cause bigger problems than we already have.

But is it that hard to keep formation and be careful during the 1st lap ?!?

Colyente

Pro Karter
Sep 16, 2019
Hi, in my opinion the second method is more correct and the AOR league itself is the league in which sane players play, I think there will be no problems.

M. Nobel

AOR ACC S2 Elite Champion
Aug 26, 2019
Built-in formation lap is great, however I do find it has one problem going for it.
The green light start is done at 60 km/h which unfortunately heavily restricts acceleration from certain cars ( Jaguar, BMW, Aston for example ) and at the same time heavily favours cars like the Porsche, Mercedes, Lambo etc.
The only thing i'd wish for is the built-in formation uses 80 km/h as start procedure.
Other than that the built-in formation lap get's my vote!

Fizzymon

F1 Champion
Jan 14, 2018
I personally like the in-game formation lap, but since there are still clearly a few bugs with it and we are already mid season, it may be best to use the AOR Formation Lap for the rest of the season. This allows time for the proper patches to be implemented so that we can use the in-game formation going forward.

Cluster63

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 2, 2020
Hello fellow AOR racer.

As you probably know already, with patch 1.3 Kunos introduced a new in-buildt start procedure which is finally a credible alternative to our traditional AOR start.

I'm sure you know both procedures pretty well: the new "widget" start is featured in all the CP races and in a number of other leagues and of public lobbies, and knowledge of AOR procedure is a requirement for racing in this league.

I'm also sure that supporters of each system will flood this thread with discussions, opinions and examples. Please keep it civil and respectful as usual :)

The ACC coordinators staff would like to hear from you about this matter, so we kindly ask you to cast a vote on this opinion poll.

Please note that this is not a referendum, and the final result of the vote will not be binding, but the ACC coordinators staff will keep it in the due regard in future decisions.

Take your time to ponder over it, and please cast a vote in next days.

Poll will close on thursday 5th, march.

The ACC coordinators staff thanks you in advance for your kind collaboration.

Aor start ever....

Steve Allan

F1 Test Driver
May 12, 2019
The only problem I can see is IF we keep the AOR start, is that the Coordinators will need to do something vastly drastic to stop the punts during the formation lap. I know this season there is a harsher punishment for people who do this (I believe 15 points to your "AOR licence", but it seems like there are STILL steward inquires regarding this. I mentioned on Discord and if people disagree with me, then fine. But if you're involved in contact during the formation lap, that should be the 15 points and a pitlane start next race regardless. But they are only allowed to join the race once everyone is up to race speed (So, in essence, putting them two laps down) then if they do it again a full race ban and then if they do it again for a 3rd time have them not get banned from racing on here, but forced to start in the lowest tier possible and they have to rebuild that trust.

Reactions: StephenCarry