OPINION: Qualifying format | ApexOnlineRacing.com

OPINION: Qualifying format

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014

Something I think has come up more recently given the bigger grid.

I still maintain, open qualifying is more fun than lone qualifying. But do you think we should group drivers, so say for the first 10 minutes of the session, the top 25 in the championship only are allowed on track, then for the remaining 25, they get the final 10 minutes? This would mean a clearer track. However in Road America we saw a huge cloud cover the circuit in the dying moments of qualifying, thus dropping the track temp dramatically and there was a 3 or so minute window where the track got quicker. If you're not in that group, it could be a tremendous disadvantage given the competitiveness of the grid.

Or perhaps we randomly group drivers and send them out for a one-lap blast each like a super-pole?

There was an idea suggested to have a secondary session for super-pole for the top 10 best qualifiers, no slip-stream or anything through. However that'd mean there are 40 cars just waiting for nothing.

What about random grids? (Pls no)

Thoughts? OPINIONS?!

Afterlithe

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 10, 2018
Keep the same format, just have 20 mins less practice and 20 mins more for qualify.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
Other cars being on track is what is gonna happen by default with open qualifying, there's not much you can do about it.

You could implement a system where each person has say 6 flying laps allocated to them, not including outlaps or inlaps, and if they do more than that it will result in a pit lane penalty. This might reduce the congestion because not everyone is going to be on track at the same time, and instead people will naturally go out at different times throughout the session when they feel they have some space.

Reactions: Hamish

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
I just love open quali... I have to admit I was a bit afraid about doing it with 50 cars but except at Silverstone where someone forgot to check mirrors exiting the pits, I had no issue so far because I don't rush on the track when the session opens. If anything to be changed, I think Sara's idea could be something to keep in mind.

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
LM24 Event Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
I would have to say, I do like the Open Qualifying. But IF we are going to change it, I would go for the Class split Qualifying, It might also bring a bit more focus on the other classes and not only the top 5-6 cars. Then split it up to 10-15 Min pr class. And have AM first, then Pro-Am and then PRO. As you are fighting the drivers in the class, you will have the same conditions as the others.
But then again for me, that would only be from a broadcast perspective.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Before Road America @Niclas Domino I would have suggest this too, not really from the broadcast perspective (we only see the last minutes of the quali) but just for the sake of less busy track. But now we know we can have almost a 10° drop during the session, I fear this could lead to dangerous mixed-skill grids...

CarbonUK

AOR iRacing GTE Season 6 AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 23, 2017
The format is okay as it is but improvements can made. If anything maybe increase qualifying to 30 mins since it is 50 cars and can get crowded, I made a mistake at Silverstone as the were 4 cars at the pit exit. I thought i let everyone through but I didn't see @Bucefal and I got in his way, sorry about that.

I do like sara idea of maximum number of laps in a time frame. F1 used to do it in the late 90s. 12 laps in 60 minutes iirc.

I like the idea of a super qualifying works well in F1 at the moment certainly in my opinion makes it exciting. I'm happy to sit there for 10 minutes and if I'm able to watch it.

I don't like the idea of lone qualifying or split classes. not sure how it would be broadcasted but it doesn't sound exciting to me. A class could be waiting aroundfor 20, 30 minutes.

Maybe towards the end of the season put a vote to see what people think. Of course final decision comes down to the admins

michO_e

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2018
i'd like to see a super pole at the end of open qualifying :)
open qualifying is imho much more fun than snooze lone quali

Zonerouge12

Formula Karter
Oct 3, 2018
Do not change anything, it's perfect!
This is the most realistic and leaves room for a small strategy ;)

mike66187

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 11, 2018
I think it is fine as it is. If everyone respects each other there won't be any problems. I haven't had any problems over the first couple races myself. I think this group of people know how to handle a busy track just fine :)

Claudiu_Clima

Formula Karter
Dec 5, 2018
This is anything but realistic. The series that resembles ours the closest is the irl Blancpain Endurance and that has super pole. So do most irl GT leagues. Plus irl drivers on the out lap know a lot better how not to block other drivers' flying laps. When you add the the iracing retarded track temperture swings (I've seen spikes of 10+ Celsius degrees over one lap) you just get a lottery.

Merlin Cooper

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2017
Keep the format as it is - do not allow to go out of pits anymore if you pressed ESC. Would make it even more real - if you take to much risk and bin your car you are done with qualifying.

Dan_Suzuki

AOR iRacing GTE Season 6 Champion
Dec 5, 2018
Does iRacing support something like super-pole?
I would love to have it, I would just restrict it even more. Top 8, 5 minutes or so, everyone gets 1 flying lap, 10-15s gap between the cars mandatory.

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
Does iRacing support something like super-pole?
I would love to have it, I would just restrict it even more. Top 8, 5 minutes or so, everyone gets 1 flying lap, 10-15s gap between the cars mandatory.
Nope, it would be something we would have to manually implement