OPINION: Rivals | ApexOnlineRacing.com

OPINION: Rivals

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014

Almost a continuation from last week regarding the discussion of competition, this week we delve into rivals. This can be just other random drivers in the league you find yourself on track with a lot, or your class rivals, or even your team-mate.

They say in motorsport that the first person you need to beat is your team-mate? Does that apply here? Do you care where your team-mate is at all?

Who are you battling buddies in the league? Is there one driver who you aspire to be able to beat one day? Equally is there a driver you use a benchmark? If you beat 'this person' then you've had a good race?

There are always drivers you enjoy battling or racing hard with, and every driver gets a bit of a reputation I think one way or the other. What makes a good rival?

Just a warning too. This is a friendly discussion like every week but I'm aware there's a possibility of turning this thread into a bad place by accusing people of this, that and the other. Keep it friendly. Don't be that person to ruin everything.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
I'm going to kick this off too, admittedly, I haven't raced much recently but I would consider @Niclas Domino a friendly rival. I think in out-right pace I've got him, but if for whatever reason he's ahead of me, I know it's going to be bloody hard work to pass him. I love that kind of battle though, hard fought and a place hard earned. I still think back to the Sebring pre-season race, where we duelled for four or five laps, and culminated in both of us picking up 12x I think, but it was such good fun scrapping it out.

Back in previous seasons, @Erti147 was usually the one I wanted to beat. I'm much more on the pace in these cars than open wheelers. Evan's one to watch with strategy because he's sneaky, he disappears and then after all the strategy has played out he's about 10 seconds up the road. In qualifying we were relatively equal, even though Evan never gets a proper lap in.

@Richtofen was another, which I think was amplified when we were team-mates. Initially, before his break anyway, we were very, very evenly matched. @Rin Hato too, we always seemed to be at the same place on track most weeks. I remember a particular race at Interlagos where I held Sara off all race long for a podium finish (WOO). And another where Darren was clearly faster than me in the finale of one season in a night race at Spa. We were running 4th and 5th respectively until the final corner, on the final lap where @Erti147 and someone else collided out of the bus-stop chicane, disqualifying both of them and allowing Darren and I to pick up a Kackerlackasacapuntas (Yes that was the best team name) double podium.

The last season I raced though, the target was @Bucefal, beating him meant you'd had a really good race, because he never had bad ones. I didn't beat him a lot, but on the rare occasion I did, it was incredibly satisfying. Certainly I think he's the benchmark for a lot of the Pro/Am guys. If he isn't, he should be at least.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rin Hato

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for those kind words @Stevie but IF I've been a benchmark once for some, it's clearly gone this season. Your strenght two seasons ago was your consistency (3 or 4 times in 7th overall if I remember well) and it definitely made you one of my rivals for most of that season.

As I mentionned at the end of season 5, most of the time I don't meet my identified rivals on track: when they're up I'm down and vice versa. It can be frustrating sometimes... New faces are comming every season so I focus on those I know for longer time. My benchmark here is definitly @FisiFan91. He has those rare weeks where he seems to struggle but when he feels good on a track, he's crazy fast and even with missing some weeks he's always been a threat for the Pro/Am championship. And when we met on track it's always been gentlemen fights. Beating Knut means big points!

I also always keep an eye on @Rin Hato as I know her back from when GT1s were still a thing. These cars, especially in ProtoGT series were my first iRacing crush and it's nice to meet someone from that era. Let's face it, Sara has stepped up big time from these series and when the Ford wants it, she's a driver to be looked at.

Obviously with a dozen of VEC drivers on track, it has to be an internal but friendly fight. From last two seasons, @VEC_orks95 was the target. He's always been faster than me and his strenght is to be fast with few training. Poor internet connection and maybe some lack of consistency resulted in poor championship results but we've seen last season with some overall top 5s that Chris is someone to be counted with.

But this season, within the VEC fight, it's our Pro-not-so-AM driver, Kevin @Dirty_manouche who will be unreachable for me (as always...).

Last edited:

Zonerouge12

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 3, 2018
Can the lack of success be one of the rivals ? :rolleyes:

More seriously my first rivals are the drivers of the VEC-SIMRACING, even if it remains friendly it is always a special competition between teammates !
Otherwise in AOR I would think E RT Imray as a rival because since last season we have "manly" fights and we are often in the vicinity of each other on the track as in qualifying, Same thing this season with S G McCracken where I had to fight to the end flag on the last two races ! (y)

Reactions: VEC_orks95

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
As I mentionned at the end of season 5, most of the time I don't meet my identified rivals on track: when they're up I'm down and vice versa. It can be frustrating sometimes... New faces are comming every season so I focus on those I know for longer time. My benchmark here is definitly @FisiFan91. He has those rare weeks where he seems to struggle but when he feels good on a track, he's crazy fast and even with missing some weeks he's always been a threat for the Pro/Am championship. And when we met on track it's always been gentlemen fights. Beating Knut means big points!
Oh boy, someone called me crazy fast :love: Thanks mate. I think it's clear over the last couple of seasons that you have established yourself as my main rival as well, since you were always the guy I would have to beat to have a chance at the Pro/Am championship, and even this season we had some good close fights, especially at Suzuka. There has been countless times where I've asked "where is Godefroy???" to the guys I chat with during the race, to figure out if I'm ahead or behind you on track haha. Hopefully it will continue!

This season it seems like @Dirty_manouche is the rival I would have to beat to have a chance at the Pro/Am title, although based on the last few races it feels like that is going to be an extremely challenging task, unless I am allowed to run every race in constant slipstream from Pro drivers, like at Watkins :LOL:

Of course, I always want to beat my teammate as well, and I know @Erti147 always wants to beat me, as we have been close on pace for a long long time. At the same time, we know how to work together if one of us is seemingly faster than the other. I'd say the teammate rivalry is not as strong this season in GTE, since it seems like I have an upper hand here at the moment, but in the open wheel league it is much closer as always.

Reactions: VEC_orks95

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
In the last couple of seasons the AM class have been super close, and with drivers performers being deferent from race to race.

My team m8:
@Afterlithe have been a good team m8, and over the last two seasons have really gotten faster, he is always a target to beat. We don’t have the biggest fights on the track, as we normally just move over if the other is faster that race. But we always want it to be ours self who is in top.

The Targets:
@Argon you have been the target of speed and pace for me, I always look at were you are on the list, we had some close races last season and some good battles. Always a hard fight but also fair. Although you have gotten faster then me this season you are still the one I am looking out for.

@Jake_Towns
Damm you, when I thought this is going to me my season, who just beat me you did. Had it not been for the two races you were in Brazil, you wood had gotten the AM championship. We have had some amazing battles. Imola comes to mind we’re we for the whole race we’re within 1.5 sec at all times. A fast and consistent driver.

@Merlin Cooper
Dam you have gotten faster over this last part of last season, and also in this season, definitely one who I have started to look out for, a miner strategy error last time gave me the place but that was not do to pace, also a hard battler, when Merlin is there you know you need to up you’re game to keep him behind.

Last he have Mr. consistence, Mr. AM him self:
@Stephan you might not be the fastes but you have for the last 3 sesaons been Mr. Consistence, if you as an am driver want to be in the talk for fighting for the am Championship you need to be a head of this driver in the standing. You always Getafe the job don, and that is why you are always there. And now the speed is also comming, and this is not making it easyer to beat you.

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
Back in previous seasons, @Erti147 was usually the one I wanted to beat. I'm much more on the pace in these cars than open wheelers. Evan's one to watch with strategy because he's sneaky, he disappears and then after all the strategy has played out he's about 10 seconds up the road. In qualifying we were relatively equal, even though Evan never gets a proper lap in.
I feel like you were always there to punish me if I didn't do what I should of, which was to beat you. I did most of the time back in the day, didnt go well for me in recent seasons but I think if you came back now we'd have crackin races now I feel competitive again in BMW

Otherwise in AOR I would think E RT Imray as a rival because since last season we have "manly" fights and we are often in the vicinity of each other on the track as in qualifying,
Yeahhh E R T Imray is the best

Of course, I always want to beat my teammate as well, and I know @Erti147 always wants to beat me, as we have been close on pace for a long long time. At the same time, we know how to work together if one of us is seemingly faster than the other. I'd say the teammate rivalry is not as strong this season in GTE, since it seems like I have an upper hand here at the moment, but in the open wheel league it is much closer as always.
yes to all

though you might as well switch out 'for the moment' and put forever instead

• Kappa
Reactions: FisiFan91

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
They say in motorsport that the first person you need to beat is your team-mate? Does that apply here? Do you care where your team-mate is at all?
No. I mean, obviously I want to beat my teammate too, but it's in that regard the last person I want to beat. Regardless who I had as a teammate in whatever league, I wanted to get a good team result and work together to improve and push each other.

Who are you battling buddies in the league? Is there one driver who you aspire to be able to beat one day? Equally is there a driver you use a benchmark? If you beat 'this person' then you've had a good race?
There are always drivers you enjoy battling or racing hard with, and every driver gets a bit of a reputation I think one way or the other. What makes a good rival?
In this league for me personally it's hard to pick one person in particular, especially since I'm normally driving a different car than many others at the top. In S3 I used Phil (and Jason for the races he was present) as a benchmark all the time, then in S4 it was Djawad and Valtteri (even though I rarely beat them on pace), last season it probably was Claudiu and Dan mostly (since Eero was just OP), and this season...literally anyone from the top 7 or so in the championship. xD And obviously the teammates I had with Finch and Dominik, but that's self-explanatory.

I think if I have a look at it generally, I especially watch out nowadays for @ramdrop. He's the only one I battled across two games on a very high level, and to race against him here again is really cool. And since we're driving the same car this season as well it's easier to compare our pace every week.

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
I might find some rivals as I progress, but mostly the people I find myself wanting to beat are the friends from Project CARS and/or Discord. Until I race enough to find other rivals, everyone else is just another position to me. But if I can beat somebody I know a little better, that's worth some bragging rights in the future for sure, especially if I had to fight them for it.