OPINION: Strategy | ApexOnlineRacing.com

OPINION: Strategy

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014

Apologies for missing this out last week.

This weeks topic is that of strategy. It's the one 'weakness' I think of this series, but for some that it is a benefit.

The strategy in this league is basically going as fast as you can, saving as much fuel as you can (which is usually minimal). The issue is that we had initially planned to reduce the tank size so that the cost of changing tyres was not as bad. You'd certainly lose time taking tyres, but you had a realistic chance of making up the lost time.

Then WEC reversed the rules so you can't fuel AND change tyres simultaneously which mucked that plan completely.

I've thought about this recently and trying to work out what we could do.
A full tank (100%) usually lasts between 60-70 minutes, depending on track, temps etc.
For me, I think if we could get the fuel cap down to a point where you need 2 full fuel stops and 1 splash/dash

Basically if you give a window for a splash/dash, then there's a chance someone can try and fuel save to negate that stop. Equally, it allows people to take that splash/dash at any point during the race. Some might get 10 laps into the race, come in and top back up with fuel then run the two full tanks to the end. Others take a splash/dash mid race. Come in, take the full fuel for stop one, then the splash/dash, then another full fuel.

What do people think? Would you like a more strategic race or do you like the flat out, basic one stop race like we've had previously?

Dandy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2018
Think its fine as it is. More pitstops would just spread the field more and reduce good close racing.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
The splash and dash would never work because you'd never be able to get it balanced with fuel saving. Fuel saving would always be quicker or not possible to make it work without driving like 10 seconds off the pace, which I don't think anyone particularly wants to do.

I blame the WEC for changing the rules, because that actually would have been interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

Isir

iRacing GTE S7 AM & PCars Ginetta Pro Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 4, 2017
As someone that is frequently in the second half of the pack the issue I see with the current structure is that it is basically impossible to have any kind of strategy that is not to fill the tank to the max and then race until it is absolutely empty.

Stopping earlier almost guarantees that you will come out in front or very near the fast guys and the time you loose with the blue flags negates any possible advantage gained by stopping earlier.

It would be fun to have solutions that allowed different strategies but it is a tricky one.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
If you ask me if I'd like to see some fuel saving strategy introduced in the series, I' d say "F*** yeah!". If you ask me if that would work, well, for the reasons exposed above by the others, I'm not sure. It'd definitly need a test race to figure it out I think.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Maybe we ban refuelling and go full Formula E?

You have to make your fuel last to the end of the race...

... As much as I love Formula E. No we're not doing that.

Isir

iRacing GTE S7 AM & PCars Ginetta Pro Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 4, 2017
That is indeed a terrible idea for a league but sounds super fun for a fun race ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I really enjoy the current format.
Usually, I try to pit as late as possible, usually when the lapping starts, but pit early when I feel it makes sense, e.g. when stuck behind a slower driver that defends well or have a very time consuming battle, defending, to get into clear air and perceived safety of lapping on my own.

Reactions: Bucefal

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
I already think that fuel saving is quite an important of this series. Gaining 3-4 seconds in the pits because you were able to save more fuel than others around makes a big difference after all. In that part I like the strategy element.
I agree with Phil, it would have definitely been interesting to change the fuel cap to make it more viable changing tyres, but with the rule change it gets very tricky. I also don't think something like 2 or 3 stops will really help and it would also negate some of the endurance factor these cars if you have like three seperate stints a 25'ish minutes. The only thing I really see at the moment is making the races longer to make a tyre change viable, but then we'd go towards a real endurance league again which is obviously also not really an option. I don't know, what I currently like about this league in particular is that the race is long and you can gain so much by just being consistent while not dealing with other car classes, I feel like no other league on AOR has this element as much implemented as this one.

Dan_Suzuki

AOR iRacing GTE Season 6 Champion
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2018
Yeah I agree with Chris on this. The only strategy option is basically saving fuel, especially this season where the field is SO close. It also tought me some lessons regarding fuel. I'm still not a big fan (and I really suck at it) of saving fuel - but if you want to have a chance in this league it seems that you have to learn it.

Before making that tyre change rule it was a nice option to just switch 1-2 tyres while refueling, the car balance was all over the place for a few laps but you can gain a lot of time by doing that if you could keep the car on track. I still remember the commentators in the broadcast being super confused when I did that :D

N1kmido

F1 Senna Equivalent
Sep 17, 2016
Maybe introducing a fuel cap might still be helpful though as it would bring up the pitstops faster. After the stop there is no point to save fuel anymore (unless you underfuel). At the minute all the battles are kicking off after people have pitted so I don´t know... Maybe this could be something worth thinking of for future seasons.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
Maybe an ~80% fuel limit to bring the stop more to the middle of the race? But still leave the strategy option of saving fuel in order to shorten the stop? The more fuel you have to add to finish, the more impact a fuel saving strategy will have if you get it to work.

Reactions: CarbonUK and Isir

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
Hmm how about fuel for two stops, forcing tires on one of the stops. Then you have to think about when you are using your tires, are you pushing in the start and early tires or a bit more easygoing in the start but have a strong last part???

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 24, 2017
For reasons which everyone else has already covered, I think the 2 best options here are approx 50% tanks which would force a 2 stop, or 80% tanks allowing a 1 stop but moving the ideal window further towards the middle. The only downside is now to 1 stop you need to carry damage longer than 20 mins, but I think both of those are better than what we have now.

Reactions: Isir